Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Some ebay sellers need to learn how to ship cards properly

I won a bulk lot (1000) of 1984 Donruss on ebay a week or so ago. The package arrived today and when I picked up the package I could hear the cards sliding around.

I opened it up to discover that the guy just put the cards into a box with no packing material. The cards were advertised as mint cards that were just opened up from packs. The cards are nice, or at least they were. A large portion of them now have dinged corners.

How hard is it to put some packing material around what your shipping so that it is secure? Here is a pic taken of the box. I did push some of the cards back into there stack before I took the picture. They were laying every which way:

My daughter was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes at the age of 2 (2003). My son was diagnosed with Type 1 when he was 17 on December 31, 2009. We were stunned that another child of ours had been diagnosed. Please, if you don't have a favorite charity, consider giving to the JDRF (Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation)

JDRF Donation

Comments

• Options
    StingrayStingray Posts: 8,843 ✭✭✭
    What a du***bag!!
  • Options
    Brian48Brian48 Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭
    I'd neg him for this one.
  • Options
    Nice!!!! Real classy packing. A couple 500 count boxes would have cost him too much?
  • Options
    I'd return them, that's crap. Did the auction description mention anything about the shipping/packaging?

I'd be really curious what he says when you inquire. That sucks man, sorry about that.

Arthur
  • Options
    incredible.
    Mark B.

Seeking primarily PSA graded pre-war "type" cards

My PSA Registry Sets

34 Goudey, 75 Topps Mini, Hall of Fame Complete Set, 1985 Topps Tiffany, Hall of Fame Players Complete Set
  • Options
    storm888storm888 Posts: 11,701 ✭✭✭
    I do not think that I have ever seen an experienced
    card merchant ship merchandise like that.

If I paid very much for those cards, I would want a refund.
    Folks Who Bite Get Bitten. Folks Who Don't Bite Get Eaten.
  • Options
    originalisbestoriginalisbest Posts: 5,918 ✭✭✭✭
    This is my greatest fear when ordering stuff - you never know if someone has no clue. I always try and politely ask them to not be a dumbell when shipping things to me - reminding them that the PO can treat things roughly.

Def need to neg them for this - hope it didn't cost a lot.
  • Options
    stownstown Posts: 11,321 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I do not think that I have ever seen an experienced
    card merchant ship merchandise like that.

If I paid very much for those cards, I would want a refund. >>

Even an amature would pack better than that.

Shame on that Seller.
    So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts
  • Options
    BunkerBunker Posts: 3,926
    I paid $25.00 for it plus $10.00 shipping. I emailed him before I bid and he told me that there were "star Cards" in this lot. I have not gone through them yet to confirm this.

He sent the box Parcel Post for a cost of $4.51. I have emailed him and I am awaiting his response. His feedback is 98.8, I looked quickly to see if there were any other shipping problems reported and I found this one:

<< <i> It arrived broken - housing in 3 pieces - but it may have happenned in shipping. >>

My daughter was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes at the age of 2 (2003). My son was diagnosed with Type 1 when he was 17 on December 31, 2009. We were stunned that another child of ours had been diagnosed. Please, if you don't have a favorite charity, consider giving to the JDRF (Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation)

JDRF Donation
  • Options
    I agree that the packaging is a disgrace but I would wait to hear back from them about their return policy before leaving a neg. If the seller refunded me my money + S/H I wouldn't neg him.

They definitely need to be informed on the proper ways to handle/ship cards though. Bunker, I'd be pretty pissed so if you're anything like me I'd give myself a bit to cool down before contacting the seller. Good luck, I hope it works out for oyu.

Arthur
  • Options
    RipublicaninMassRipublicaninMass Posts: 10,051 ✭✭✭
    what a jerk. I cahrge very little for shipping but I do my best to ship properly. Wouldn't it have been the same amount shipping for 2 500 ct boxes in a flat rate box?
  • Options
    BunkerBunker Posts: 3,926

<< <i>Wouldn't it have been the same amount shipping for 2 500 ct boxes in a flat rate box? >>

I would think that it could have been done for the $10 he charged.

JDRF Donation
  • Options
    lawnmowermanlawnmowerman Posts: 19,477 ✭✭✭✭
    I agree with Arthur. I had a similar incident with a seller a few weeks ago.

Personally I wouldnt even ask about a return policy.

Just send them back. Email the seller letting him know why and tell him you expect a full refund
  • Options
    halosfanhalosfan Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭✭
    The other thing that cranks me is those damn plastic boxes that wreak havok on corners and edges. Yes, I got my stack of dinged up cards today as well! ARGH
    Looking for a Glen Rice Inkredible and Alex Rodriguez cards
  • Options
    SO annoying. Oh well, come the day I ever sell stuff, the recipient will be most pleased with my packaging. I aim to NOT disappoint in that regard.
  • Options
    I can hardly stand to look at the pic image

It's sad but this type of brain dead, half retarded, imbecilic jerk, is the toughest to deal with. As soon as you open the box you know that the seller has no common sense... whatsoever!

How can it explained to them that they are completely at fault for the deal going bad??? It can't.

• Options
    "I aim to NOT disappoint in that regard. "

////////////////////////////////////////

The fact is that there is never any valid reason to
    disappoint in that regard.

Packing the stuff safely is not rocket-surgery.

The problem is the sellers who continue to insist
    that S&H is a profit-center; they collect high fees,
    package poorly, mail cheaply, and pocket most of
    the S&H money.
  • Options
    EstilEstil Posts: 6,927 ✭✭✭✭
    How much you wanna bet the seller's response is going to go along the lines of:

The cards were damaged during shipping? Well, you didn't pay extra for the insurance. Sorry.

But seriously, I guess the best way to avoid these kinds of things is to look through the feedback report and click on the auctions you can, and see if the seller has experience shipping multiple cards. If they do, and get good comments afterwards, then there's a better chance its a safe bet. Of better still, find a few really good sellers that have the kind of stuff you like and try to stick with them whenever possible.

As for myself, I always use the local packages place and use packing peanuts on all six sides of the set box (and put "dummy cards" on each end of the cards inside the set box so the first and last cards of the set don't get damaged either) and ship UPS Ground (I do NOT trust the Post Office). If that doesn't get the cards to the buyer safely, nothing will.
    WISHLIST
    Dimes: 54S, 53P, 50P, 49S, 45D+S, 44S, 43D, 41S, 40D+S, 39D+S, 38D+S, 37D+S, 36S, 35D+S, all 16-34's
    Quarters: 52S, 47S, 46S, 40S, 39S, 38S, 37D+S, 36D+S, 35D, 34D, 32D+S
    74 Topps: 37,38,46,47,48,138,151,193,210,214,223,241,256,264,268,277,289,316,435,552,570,577,592,602,610,654,655
    1997 Finest silver: 115, 135, 139, 145, 310
    1995 Ultra Gold Medallion Sets: Golden Prospects, HR Kings, On-Base Leaders, Power Plus, RBI Kings, Rising Stars
  • Options
    Kid4hof03Kid4hof03 Posts: 1,834 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I just opened a package that contained a 60 card lot in a ziplock sandwich bag stuffed into a padded envelope. It's not often that I'm irritated after the mailman arrives.

Abe
    Collecting anything and everything relating to Roger Staubach
  • Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,358 ✭✭✭✭✭
    To see cards like that in a box that have been vibrating at the speed of sound and trucks is just plain OFFENSIVE!

I guess a lesson for those buying bulk lots - ask them how they intend to ship them?

Save the email as proof.

And last - this is just my belief - if ya can use paypal and credit card - tho nothing's totally safe?

Sorry about the cards Bunk.
    mike
    Mike
  • Options
    When I ship multiple cards I bag 30-40 cards of the lot in a team bag, seal the bags, put them together and wrap them in bubble wrap and tape the bubble wrap up.

I get a small box, put some plastic peanuts in, put the wrapped cards in the middle and surround the cards with more peanuts.

This reasonable?
    Take the plunge into my ebay store
  • Options
    wow. did Helen Keller pack that box?
  • Options
    "Or better still, find a few really good sellers that have the kind of
    stuff you like and try to stick with them whenever possible. "

///////////////////////////////////////////////

That really is the best solution.

If I do not already know the seller, I will probably NEVER know the seller.
    That can amount to "my loss" sometimes, but it ALWAYS prevents the
    stress of having to deal with situations like this.

Build a safe-seller list. Keep those sellers informed about what
    kind of stuff you are looking for. Based upon all of our collective
    experience, it should be obvious that experimenting is usually
    not productive.
  • Options
    EAsportsEAsports Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭
    As a contrast, I bought 60 Ben Sheets singles from Dave & Adam's Card World.

Each card was individually penny sleeved, and there were 4 cards put in top loaders to provide the group some stability. They were put in a #00 bubble envelope, then placed in a small box with packing peanuts.

Total for shipping?

$6.15.

And that's how it's supposed to be done.

Sorry about the lot, Bunker. See if you can send them back for a refund. If not, leave a neg.
    My LSU Autographs

Only an idiot would have a message board signature.
  • Options
    GonblottGonblott Posts: 1,951 ✭✭
    Another fine example how some eBay sellers don't care about their customers or have no clue how to ship an item carefully. Since the cards were obviously damaged because of the seller's careless packing, are you gonna ask for a refund?
  • Options
    In defense of sellers you've never met, storm, I would suspect you're avoiding many good sellers who do know how to pack well.

I once got a higrade lot of '65 T raw BB, each card individually penny sleeved and in a small 500 ct box. Then just the box was sealed and mailed - worked out fine though I would've added an additional box around them.

For stuff I send out, no, it's not rocket science, just common sense. However I would venture to say I pack better than most, and as good as the best. Post office people and "pro" sellers that I've sent stuff to have complimented me on it. A good deal of it boils down to caring about craftsmanship.
  • Options
    Send 'em back! Listen, speaking as a seller, even if I personally have to pay out of pocket a little extra to make sure the cards get there safe and sound I will. All it takes is one bad experience and you're screwed. I mean, look at what happens on here. We all know that when one of us gets screwed we all feel the pain. Then we do what we have to to make sure that we never buy from that person. And I'm sure that some of us tell others too who might not be on here. Next thing you know that seller is screwed. So, all I have to say is send 'em back if you paid that much for them.
  • Options
    Wow, bunker, that sucks. That's happened to me before--I think maybe in most cases the people packing these things aren't card collectors, at least not in the traditional sense. Tossing the cards into a box like that, I mean that's why they make monster boxes for 3000 and 5000 cards. I've had sellers ship in those before, and I still think they require some extra padding. I once got a giant box of cards just like that, and there was a sock in it, too. It was as if the guy just swooshed the entire contents of his bed into a box and taped it up without looking. Assuming you paid a decent amount for shipping and handling, I can't imagine why the seller didn't put that to good use. Three basic ways to pack cards-- one is that the cards won't be damaged no matter what happens to the package (short of a nuclear explosion), two is that the cards won't be damaged unless the postal employee or someone intentionally mishandles it, and three, the worst way, is to make sure the contents gets damaged no matter how careful the package is handled. You got the latter case. I made a newbie seller mistake myself, only with coins, many years ago. The buyer scolded me and I never made the mistake again. Hopefully your seller will learn, too.
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    Wow, bunker, that sucks.

I agree.

Sorry.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,555 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd demand a refund in this case as well. If he tries to screw you, file a claim with Paypal, that will get his attention. This guy really is a moron.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    Downtown1974Downtown1974 Posts: 6,739 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yeah, thats a disgrace. Im sick and tired of these sellers making profits on shipping. A dollar or two OK whatever, but he made over $5 on this sale just on shipping. And to receive them like that is just wrong. Chit bag seller plain and simple!
  • Options
    I received an email back from the seller. He says that he was running late for work, so he had his son ship them to me. He apologized and offered me a full refund image

Thanks for all the support. My son was heart broken when he got home from school. He was really looking forward to these, but we are watching another bulk lot so I have sharpened up my snipe. image

I think I will email the seller before I bid though just to see how he plans on shipping them. Lesson learned.

JDRF Donation
  • Options
    Glad to see it all worked out Bunker. Not sure if the "my son shipped 'em" story is bull or not but at least he didn't try to strongarm you. Glad to hear you got a full refund.

Arthur
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,555 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Agree with Arthur. It may be a BS story (probably is) but at least he's made it right for you. Good luck on the next lot!

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    That is horrible. How could someone do that?

I'd go about it the same way Arthur mentioned.
    * '72 BASEBALL #15 100%
    * C. PASCUAL BASIC #3
    * T. PEREZ BASIC #4 100%
    * L. TIANT BASIC #1
    * DRYSDALE BASIC #4 100%
    * MAGIC MASTER #4/BASIC #3
    * PALMEIRO MASTER/BASIC #1
    * '65 DISNEYLAND #2
    * '78 ELVIS PRESLEY #6
    * '78 THREE'S COMPANY #1

WaltDisneyBoards
  • Options
    MorrellManMorrellMan Posts: 3,238 ✭✭✭

<< <i>The other thing that cranks me is those damn plastic boxes that wreak havok on corners and edges. Yes, I got my stack of dinged up cards today as well! ARGH >>

I saw an auction recently for a set of cards I wanted. The seller proudly stated that he hated to remove the four cards he scanned from the plastic box they were in. I quickly moved on.

Sellers who don't know how to package material should be horsewhipped, tarred and feathered and driven out of town by their bootheels tied to a wild stallion. Unless, of course, they agree to refund the return shipping cost.
    Mark (amerbbcards)

"All evil needs to triumph is for good men to do nothing."
  • Options
    cardbendercardbender Posts: 1,831 ✭✭
    Hi Bunker,
    Glad to hear the seller is going to make the deal right with you.

Hey, PM me with your address and I'll be happy to mail you some
    '84 Donruss singles from a factory set I broke. I might have 300-400 cards.
    They're yours for free. Just email me your shipping address and I'll drop them (just kidding) in the mail next week.

Regards,
    Rich
  • Options
    Yikes, that picture makes me cringe! I'm happy to hear you received a refund.
    My Topps Heritage site.
  • Options
    MrGMrG Posts: 620 ✭✭✭
    Geez! The guy could have at least put a rubber band around every hundred or so cards! image
    Michael Gaytan (MrG)
    TGF Collection
    TGF Sports
  • Options
    MrGMrG Posts: 620 ✭✭✭
    Take for example this guy:

Auction for properly packaged box of cards!

Now he knows how to keep his cards from moving around in the box!
    Michael Gaytan (MrG)
    TGF Collection
    TGF Sports
  • Options
    That's embarrasing. There are some lazy sellers out there. I only buy graded cards, but I always make sure to tell them that I expect that the cards be wrapped with something protective inside of a bubble envelope. I bought a PSA 6 '34 Goudey Greenberg that had absolutely no protection inside the envelope. How long would it take to cut two slices of cardboard and sandwich the card in between them?