Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

Vote for the toughest card of any set 1970-1979

2»

Comments

• Options
    My vote is for 1971 Claude Raymond #536.
    Kosmo
  • Options
    bobsbbcardsbobsbbcards Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Does anyone know what the final price was or who bought it? >>

I'm thinking it was around $6,500.
  • Options

<< <i>How about '71 Topps Munson??? That card sells for even more than his rookie. >>

I've never seen one that isn't O/C left. Anytime that I see one that looks decent, I start wondering if it's been trimmed.
    There are two types of people in this world; those who like Neil Diamond, and those who don't. My ex-wife loves him!!
  • Options
    MorgothMorgoth Posts: 3,950 ✭✭✭
    When I compare cards for rarity I rank them in overall rarity (how many are available in the grades I want usually 8,9 and 10) and at what percentage of the total submissions have graded 8,9 or 10. This answers the questions of how harder is it to get in comparision to another card but also answers the question if they had equal amounts of submissions which one is harder to find in high grade. This comparison is only statistically valid for cards with over 100 submissions. Based on this the Brett kills any of those 75 minis in terms of percent of cards that graded 8,9 or 10. Any card that has not had more than 100 submissions you have to say the jury is out on whether it is truly rare or people just haven't submitted enough due to factors such as it's a common, from a set that unless it grades 9 or 10 is worthless etc.
    Currently completing the following registry sets: Cardinal HOF's, 1961 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, 1972 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, 1980 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, Bill Mazeroski Master & Basic Sets, Roberto Clemente Master & Basic Sets, Willie Stargell Master & Basic Sets and Terry Bradshaw Basic Set
  • Options
    bishopbishop Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭
    In his last SCD opus, 2007, Lemke listed the Jackson at $ 6000 citing an 5-04 auction. He lists 11 other proofs from 78 in that Catalog that are blank back and, like the Jackson, involve a change in uniform or picture from that in the issued set. He told me SCD had a framed uncut sheet in their offices ( maybe it was his) with all 12 on it. He notes all single copies of each appear hand cut
    Topps Baseball-1948, 1951 to 2017
    Bowman Baseball -1948-1955
    Fleer Baseball-1923, 1959-2007

Al
  • Options
    1979 topps Ozzie Smith RC PSA 10.
  • Options

How about 1973 OPC #1 All-Time HR leaders?

Zero 9's or 10's

A single 8 graded......

This card is nearly impossible to find centered!

just my 2 cents worth.

Tony
    KalineFan
  • Options
    pcpc Posts: 743
    1971 TOPPS 5 THURMAN MUNSON ALL-STAR ROOKIE
    no 10s
    4 psa 9s
    also the nicest card since 53 pee wee
    Money is your ticket to freedom.
  • Options
    Carew29Carew29 Posts: 4,026 ✭✭

Sorry---75 Yount wins hands down. 3052 graded so far and no 10's.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Does anyone know what the final price was or who bought it? >>

I'm thinking it was around $6,500. >>

I was the underbidder two years ago to Olbermann. I have a feeling if I bid $3K more, I still would have came in 2nd. In regard to the initial question, '72 Venezuelans are toughest non-test issue IMO, but there's probably some regional issues that are even scarcer. If you're talking grade scarcity, then 1973 OPC #1 centered comes to mind.

...wow, just noticed that Kalinefan thought the same thing. Okay, then '73 OPC Aaron #100 or '74 OPC #1.

“Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.” - George Carlin