Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

let's see your Prussian coins!

I love the Prussian designs, and would like to see some scans from either your personal collection, or pictures you've saved along the way.

thanks!

Doug

Comments

• Silvereagle82Silvereagle82 Posts: 1,219 ✭✭✭
    Prussen 1797A Frederick D'or
    PCGS VF-25

imageimage
  • lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,464 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I sold an attractively-toned 1778-E 1-grossus piece a while back, but just deleted the pic recently. image

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Musky1011Musky1011 Posts: 3,899 ✭✭✭✭
    This is my pocket piece
    imageimage
    Pilgrim Clock and Gift Shop.. Expert clock repair since 1844

Menomonee Falls Wisconsin USA

http://www.pcgs.com/SetRegistr...dset.aspx?s=68269&ac=1">Musky 1861 Mint Set
  • worldcoinguyworldcoinguy Posts: 3,005 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Prussen 1797A Frederick D'or
    PCGS VF-25

imageimage >>

• PreussenPreussen Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭
    Here are some of mine. - Preussen

"Illegitimis non carborundum" -General Joseph Stilwell. See my auctions
    Preussen,
    I was waiting for your post
    Doug set you up for the ..................................... SLAM DUNK !!!image

And you did not disappoint us!! A great set of Prussian coins.

<< <i>Preussen,
    I was waiting for your post
    Doug set you up for the ..................................... SLAM DUNK !!!image

And you did not disappoint us!! A great set of Prussian coins. >>

And a nice follow up Dan !!!!image
    That Berlin 3M is one of the best pics ever image

Here are a few more...I wish I had more pics of my collection, but I generally hate my pics and I'm too lazy to learn to take better ones image I tried to photograph some of the Gold, but they're terrible. - Preussen

• UdoUdo Posts: 984 ✭✭

imageimage
    Udo - image - Preussen
  • FilamCoinsFilamCoins Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭

• TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,639 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Some fantastic coins in this thread!
    FilamCoins - Nice Gold image. Is that a scan? If so, good idea! Better than my pics image

Edited to add: Doug, are you satisfied? image
    I LOVE THE GOLD !!!!!
  • coinpicturescoinpictures Posts: 5,345 ✭✭✭

Ok, that does it! I officially WANT this coin!!!!!! imageimageimage

Damn, that's gorgeous...

<< <i>That Berlin 3M is one of the best pics ever image >>

... and you have no idea how many attempts it took me to get the shot right. image

As inexpensive as that proof is priced, I would think that there would be more DCAM and ULTRA CAMEO examples out there to be found. According to the pop reports, NGC has none in ULTRA CAMEO and PCGS has none in DCAM. This one is an ANACS "HVY CAMEO". I keep looking for additional examples simply because I just love the reverse-proof design, but they're not out there...

Love that cameo! But I can't help but think that the contrast is a bit more like this: image

<< <i>

<< <i>That Berlin 3M is one of the best pics ever image >>

... and you have no idea how many attempts it took me to get the shot right. image

As inexpensive as that proof is priced, I would think that there would be more DCAM and ULTRA CAMEO examples out there to be found. According to the pop reports, NGC has none in ULTRA CAMEO and PCGS has none in DCAM. This one is an ANACS "HVY CAMEO". I keep looking for additional examples simply because I just love the reverse-proof design, but they're not out there... >>

Mine is a PCGS PR66CAM, but I could never get a pic to equal yours. - Preussen

<< <i>image

Love that cameo! But I can't help but think that the contrast is a bit more like this: image

image >>

I juiced up a copy of the pic like that; It's impressive, but it doesn't look quite natural to me (although better than my attempt). I did about the same thing to this one, but maybe I went too far. - Preussen

<< <i>image
  • 3Mark3Mark Posts: 593 ✭✭✭
    Dan:

This is another example of the PCGS population reports. It doesn't list CAM and DCAM for many coins. This is a quick scan of my Berlin University. Totally black and white in hand and looks like the picture of yours. Having trouble posting image and I will have Preussen do it. 3Mark
    I'm traveling on memory and running out of fuel.

<< <i>Dan:

This is another example of the PCGS population reports. It doesn't list CAM and DCAM for many coins. This is a quick scan of my Berlin University. Totally black and white in hand and looks like the picture of yours. Having trouble posting image and I will have Preussen do it. 3Mark >>

Here it is:

<< <i>Date set 1904-1913

Prussian Gold set >>

Very nice set image - Preussen
    Nice gold set, Boz

<< <i>I love the Prussian designs, and would like to see some scans from either your personal collection, or pictures you've saved along the way. thanks!
    Doug >>

Doug,
    You should be well pleased with the results of your thread. What a bunch of beautiful coins image
    Thanks for starting this one.

Conrad
    One of my favorite designs. I've sold several duplicates recently, but I still have a few image. - Preussen
  • Better late then never. image

The meaning of life ? I don't know but I am sure that coins have something to do with it.

Zar's Ebay
    image where's Doug? image - Preussen

<< <i>image where's Doug? image - Preussen >>

He's here, but probably speechless. image
    imageimage
    We almost forgot the first commemorative of the Empire, of course it was Prussian:

And another coin with nice toning:

imageimage
  • DoogyDoogy Posts: 4,508
    guys,

I posted to this thread the day after all of these beautiful images were shared, but i think i lost my 'net connection or something 'cause it didn't show up.

thanks to all of your for sharing these wonderful pics! Man, i asked for some Prussian coins, and I was totally blown away by the response. I'm saving my pennies for some nice Prussians, but after seeing all of these, I don't know where to start!?

thanks again for your time and sharing your beautiful collections!

Doug

<< <i>guys,

I posted to this thread the day after all of these beautiful images were shared, but i think i lost my 'net connection or something 'cause it didn't show up.

thanks to all of your for sharing these wonderful pics! Man, i asked for some Prussian coins, and I was totally blown away by the response. I'm saving my pennies for some nice Prussians, but after seeing all of these, I don't know where to start!?

Doug >>

It was fun image; glad you liked 'em. - Preussen

<< <i>

<< <i>guys,

Doug >>

It was fun image; glad you liked 'em. - Preussen >>

Man, "liked 'em" is the understatement of the century! image Preussen, do you live in Germany? I'm curious because the higher grade Prussian stuff seems scarce, and you have so much of it i figure you must be a native of Germany?

Doug

<< <i> Preussen, do you live in Germany? I'm curious because the higher grade Prussian stuff seems scarce, and you have so much of it i figure you must be a native of Germany? Doug >>

Doug: No, I don't live in Germany. I was born, raised & live in the good old USA. I did spend some Army time in Germany (4+ years) but that was long ago. I collect Prussian (& German 3rd Reich) coins mainly for the history (I enjoy military history) and I buy them from multiple sources, both in the USA and in Europe. - Preussen

<< <i>

<< <i> Preussen, do you live in Germany? I'm curious because the higher grade Prussian stuff seems scarce, and you have so much of it i figure you must be a native of Germany? Doug >>

Doug: No, I don't live in Germany. I was born, raised & live in the good old USA. I did spend some Army time in Germany (4+ years) but that was long ago. I collect Prussian (& German 3rd Reich) coins mainly for the history (I enjoy military history) and I buy them from multiple sources, both in the USA and in Europe. - Preussen >>

Ha! funny you should comment on the historical nature of coin collecting; the whole reason I've become interested in the Prussian (and other German states) stuff is from the fascinating 'rise and fall of the third reich' book i'm reading. I've always wanted to read this, and finally started it. I admire the rich tradition of Prussia and their proud people. I've had a hard time finding nice 3rd Reich stuff; is there some sources i'm missing? i'm not looking for anything rare, just nice looking. thanks for any help!

Doug
  • spoonspoon Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭
    Bah! What a bunch of modern junk! Here's a real coin:

Albrecht Hohenzollern, first Duke of Prussia, a Grand Master of the Teutonic Knights and also a patron of Copernicus, etc, etc.

No, really.. you guys have some truly awesome stuff!! image

Doug, if you like Rise and Fall, you'll probably also like Berlin Diary, by the same author. Very good book on the lead up to WWII from the perspective of a journalist covering it and trying to get the truth out.

edit = updated pic
  • StorkStork Posts: 5,205 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not mine, but I'd like one someday...

<< <i>Bah! What a bunch of modern junk! Here's a real coin: >>

1545 ? You call that a "real coin"? Modern crap! Here is a real, real coin image

Edited to add: Yours is a nice piece, BTW image

<< <i>Not mine, but I'd like one someday...

image >>

whoa! that is simply.............incredible!

Doug

<< <i>Bah! What a bunch of modern junk! Here's a real coin:

imageimage
    Albrecht Hohenzollern, first Duke of Prussia, a Grand Master of the Teutonic Knights and also a patron of Copernicus, etc, etc.

No, really.. you guys have some truly awesome stuff!! image

Doug, if you like Rise and Fall, you'll probably also like Berlin Diary, by the same author. Very good book on the lead up to WWII from the perspective of a journalist covering it and trying to get the truth out. >>

thanks Spoon! I've heard Berlin Diary is terrific, but it'll have to wait until i wade through the 1500 pages of rise and fall image

<< <i>Not mine, but I'd like one someday...

image >>

These are cool coins for modern crap™image Here's mine:

<< <i> I've had a hard time finding nice 3rd Reich stuff; is there some sources i'm missing? i'm not looking for anything rare, just nice looking. thanks for any help!Doug >>

Doug, PM sent image - Preussen
  • 3Mark3Mark Posts: 593 ✭✭✭
    Come on guys, I know you have more Prussian coinsimage Thanks for all the pics so far.3Mark
    I'm traveling on memory and running out of fuel.

<< <i>Come on guys, I know you have more Prussian coinsimage Thanks for all the pics so far.3Mark >>

I believe you have a few yourself - let's see 'em image - Preussen
    I think in honor of Steve's newest home-run, the MS67 3 Mark, let's prod him to post it here and keep this cool thead going!

on a lark, I sent it off to be graded and it came back NGC VF25. I didn't buy it to resell, I just thought it would be cool to find crusty uncleaned examples. This has turned out to be a tougher job than i thought, as the crusty ones usually show other problems like old cleaning and nasty rim dings. Over the past few weeks since it was graded, this coin has been the one that has brought a huge smile to my face when it comes out of the box. Why....I don't really know. Maybe the fact that it has hones and even wear and a super cool color to it, it makes you wonder what kind of life it saw. I'm also amazed that this big coin has nearly perfect rims, which is quite rare for a coin of this age with this much wear.

Anyone else collecting lower grade Prussian crusties, and care to share?

I thought this thread was finished some time ago, so I removed my pics to make room in the space my ISP provides image I'll check this evening to see which ones I can restore. -Preussen

Here is my latest: