Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Market Test -- Local Show

DRUNNERDRUNNER Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭✭✭
I've always felt as a collector that sitting on the other side of the table offered a perspective that might be useful and to that end, I've worked a table or two with dealer friends over the years. Circumstances have allowed me to take the time to purchase a table at a local (40 tables) 2-day Fri-Sat. show as a solo effort though, and I'm interested to see what it might tell me (to a limited extent) about the market at this time. Sure, there are a lot of variables that cloud the study and I won't cover them all . . . such as my total lack of Southern gold or Russ-type Kennedys (if they were hot, how would I know?), or the natural biases I have in what I have chosen to offer, or the pricing I might use, but overall, I believe I'll learn a bit about what is happening out there. To avoid any concern about misuse of the forum, I won't go into detail about what I'll be selling, but to me, it's all about 'eye-appeal' anyway. . . and that's what I'm bringing.

I started pricing 'inventory' with the (Morelan?) philosophy of being an "unmotivated seller" since this is a fun experiment and I really have no requirement to 'have' to sell anything. But in time, I got caught up in the excitement and mixed in a few items below bid . . . and a few 'plants' to see if anyone would look closely enough to cherrypick (no . . . nothing huge, just fun stuff) . . . and of course, a lot of items that I think have eye appeal. If they don't attract much interest, I guess I'll know I have minimal numismatic taste, but even that is good information to know.

All-in-all . . . it's been fun preparing for this. Selecting items that I can stand to part with (a challenge . . and they ARE NOT getting a crack at the 'good stuff') but also ones that had the character of pieces I like to buy was tough. Determining what (if any) premium the 'eye appeal' factor might have was also tough. But I'm prepared, organized, and excited, so we'll see if I can have some fun. I'm wondering what the dealer set-up time will be like . . . when I approach this show as a collector I usually get hit up right at the door by several dealers who know my particular collecting interests asking, "Bring anything to sell?" Might bode well . . .

No, I don't have any desire to be a 'wannabe' . I just want to see if how my collecting interests dovetail with the the numismatic market. I think we'll match up fairly well.

I'll re-post again after Saturday night with any observations, if relevant. Sorry about the length.

Drunner

Comments

• Options
    mirabelamirabela Posts: 4,964 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hey, lots of luck with that. I have certainly considered doing it. My only trouble is that I tend to keep my collection pared down to the point that at any given time I do not have much around that I would be happy to part with.

I look forward to reading the "after" post.
    mirabela
  • Options
    GandyjaiGandyjai Posts: 1,380 ✭✭
    Good Luck!...and I look forward to reading your after-show post as well!!

Brian

I LOVE image TALON HEAD, PEGLEG & ERROR IKES! image
  • Options
    RichieURichRichieURich Posts: 8,371 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Good luck with your market test, please report back with the results.

An authorized PCGS dealer, and a contributor to the Red Book.

• Options
    Can't wait to hear about your findings, please keep us updated.

I think all of us collectors have dreamed about being dealers at one point and then came back to reality.image
    Life member of the SSDC
  • Options
    Good luck in your venture! Many moons ago I set up every weekend at sportscards and flea markets selling my wares. (no coins at the time) It was a fun, frustrating and occasionally profitable experience. Can't wait to hear about your experience.

Cheers
    leo
  • Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,333 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It sounds like fun. ...hope it works well for you.
    Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    Thanks for the comments . . . and I'll be sure to post again after it's over.

Drunner
  • Options
    Sounds like a lot of fun, I would like to do it myself but i'm afraid I would make a fool of myself.
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Interesting experiment... I have never sold a coin... nor do I have any desire to... but it will be informative from a neophyte's perspective to hear the 'selling' side. Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    PreussenPreussen Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭
    Definitely sounds like fun; Good luck image - Preussen
    "Illegitimis non carborundum" -General Joseph Stilwell. See my auctions
  • Options
    mirabelamirabela Posts: 4,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Interesting experiment... I have never sold a coin... nor do I have any desire to... but it will be informative from a neophyte's perspective to hear the 'selling' side >>

Heck, selling is pretty easy. I would love to spend a day buying, or trying to buy, from behind the table.
    mirabela
  • Options
    The "buying" thing is one facet I haven't figured out . . . .

Bottom line . . . I'm a bit particular and really am interested in furthering my own collections, so unless someone offered me something I needed, I don't know that flipping the coins (or trying to) is my top priority. I'll just see what happens. Guess I'd better haul a bit of spare cash just in case. I'd hate to have to pass on that original roll of 1884-S Morgans for triple face . . . .

Drunner
  • Options
    gyocomgdgyocomgd Posts: 2,582 ✭✭✭
    Interesting exercise, Jeff, and a useful one. I'll be interested in seeing your results.
  • Options
    krankykranky Posts: 8,709 ✭✭✭
    I don't know exactly what's going to happen, but I'm confident that whatever transpires, it won't be what you expected! image How are you going to handle the influx of other dealers wanting to go through your stuff during the setup time? Do the other dealers there know you? If not, they'll make a beeline to your table to see what fresh material the "new guy" has.

Will look forward to the update after the show.

New collectors, please educate yourself before spending money on coins; there are people who believe that using numismatic knowledge to rip the naïve is what this hobby is all about.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file