Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

What exactly is the Mint's Policy on Cameras?

airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 21,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
I'll be in Philly on Friday and am going to go to the Mint. I know I'm not allowed to use a camera, but what about bringing one in? I'd like to have it with me for the rest of the day, but I don't want to get kicked out of the Mint, either...
JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research

Comments

• Options
    hmm, do they search your bags?

perhaps they have lockers available to deposit your items.
  • Options
    website says...

Photography, smoking, eating and drinking are not allowed in the building. Prohibited items include, but are not limited to, the following: any bag larger than 14" wide x 13" high x 4" deep, food and beverages of any kind, tobacco products, personal grooming items (make up, hair brush or comb, lip or hand lotions, etc.), umbrellas, strollers, any pointed objects (pens, knitting needles, etc.), aerosol containers, cameras, video recorders any type of recording device, guns, ammunition, fireworks, electric stun guns, mace, martial arts weapons/devices, or knives of any size. No packages of any type will be allowed; this includes large or small shopping bags, or recent purchases. All necessary medications will be identified and will remain in the custody of an adult chaperone for the entire tour. All visitors are required to enter through a metal detector.

sounds like you can not even take them in
    ---------------------------------------------

"The Villain"

Shiba Rescue Organization
    A Shiba Inu is a terrible thing to waste! image
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Most likely they have resources.. such as checking them, I have to believe many tourists that stop there have cameras. So, either they are instructed to 'bag' them or check them. Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    From Yahoo user reviews--

A neat, self-guided tour. Be warned, however! NO CAMERAS or VIDEOCAMERAS are allowed inside, and there is NO PLACE to store them. My wife and I went inside in shifts while the other held the cameras.

--=-=-=-=-
  • Options
    FredWeinbergFredWeinberg Posts: 5,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Your tour will be on the second floor, looking over
    the Presses, annealing, punching, bagging, etc.
    operations. This is thru large windows, looking down
    on the ground floor.

When you enter the Mint, on the ground floor, there'll be a display of some
    modern coins, and I think the Gift Shop has re-opened
    after 9/11. Then you take an escalator up to the 2nd floor
    viewing gallering.

(The Gift Shop wasn't opened the last time I took a floor tour, back
    in 2004. If it is fully operational, you'll find some interesting
    stuff to buy, and some junk.....

It is still worth it to take the tour, as you'll get to see
    all of the machinery - but you wont' be able to see much
    as far as details.

A pair of binoculars would be helpful if you can bring them
    in with you.....
    Retired Collector & Dealer in Major Mint Error Coins & Currency since the 1960's.Co-Author of Whitman's "100 Greatest U.S. Mint Error Coins", and the Error Coin Encyclopedia, Vols., III & IV. Retired Authenticator for Major Mint Errors
    for PCGS. A 49+-Year PNG Member...A full numismatist since 1972, retired in 2022
  • Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,304 ✭✭✭✭✭
    As long as there are no cavity searches, go ahead and take it...just hide it well image

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options
    shylockshylock Posts: 4,288 ✭✭✭
    Jeremy -

Wear an official looking laminated card on a chain, look like you are bored by being there, and if they ask any
    questions tell them Andy Lustig sent you image
  • Options
    airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 21,910 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Jeremy -

Wear an official looking laminated card on a chain, look like you are bored by being there, and if they ask any
    questions tell them Andy Lustig sent you image >>

He is certainly interested in the modern coins... image
    JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
  • Options

<< <i>
    in with you..... >>

This enhances the drooling over the MS69's all over the place.
  • Options
    RichieURichRichieURich Posts: 8,372 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>
    in with you..... >>

This enhances the drooling over the MS69's all over the place. >>

Certainly helps explain the "milk spots" on the silver eagles! image

An authorized PCGS dealer, and a contributor to the Red Book.

• Options
    planetsteveplanetsteve Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭✭
    Fred has a good point on the binoculars. I'll have to try them out at Philly soon.

I went late last year, and there are guards inside and outside the front door, along with some type of scanning machine (probably just an x-ray style as used in airports). I didn't even try bringing in a camera (that restriction really grinds my gears, btw image ), and the guard inside asked if I had a phone. I told him I did -- "but it doesn't have a camera built in."

He replied he needed to scan it anyway. No big deal. Other than that there were no hassles. The catwalk-like view of the presses is a little boring IMHO, but there is a neat machine set on display up there that was used to sort out overweight and underweight coins in the early 1800s (IIRC).

Also, there is a comprehensive display of commemoratives at the end of the tour. I was too new to the hobby to really appreciate them, but I'll definitely linger longer next time. (Again I am irritated about the camera restriction.)

The gift shop is nice and has some of the high-end Mint issues on display. They also have many mint and proof sets from past decades on sale, but their prices are a little higher than greysheet. image I think I'll shop there next time as well.
  • Options
    Don't forget to see all the other neat historical things in the area since they are all within walking distance. Liberty Bell, Independence Hall, Ben Franklin, Ben Franklins post office. I would also recommend the franklin institute if you have some time to kill. Philly was probably my favorite vacation, but I wish I got to go to the museum of medical oddities. Think it was caller nuttier or something like that.
  • Options
    DieClashDieClash Posts: 3,688 ✭✭✭

<< <i>website says...

Photography, smoking, eating and drinking are not allowed in the building. Prohibited items include, but are not limited to, the following: any bag larger than 14" wide x 13" high x 4" deep, food and beverages of any kind, tobacco products, personal grooming items (make up, hair brush or comb, lip or hand lotions, etc.), umbrellas, strollers, any pointed objects (pens, knitting needles, etc.), aerosol containers, cameras, video recorders any type of recording device, guns, ammunition, fireworks, electric stun guns, mace, martial arts weapons/devices, or knives of any size. No packages of any type will be allowed; this includes large or small shopping bags, or recent purchases. All necessary medications will be identified and will remain in the custody of an adult chaperone for the entire tour. All visitors are required to enter through a metal detector.

sounds like you can not even take them in >>

I guess I'll be leaving the nunchucks at home. image
    "Please help us keep these boards professional and informative…. And fun." - DW
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    BONGO HURTLES ALONG THE RAIN SODDEN HIGHWAY OF LIFE ON UNDERINFLATED BALD RETREAD TIRES
  • Options
    swhuckswhuck Posts: 546 ✭✭✭

<< <i>website says...

sounds like you can not even take them in >>

That would be correct. If you are out in that part of Philly taking pictures of the Liberty Bell or Independence Hall (which are about a block away), make sure you stash the camera before you try to go into the Mint.
    Sincerely,

Stewart Huckaby
    mailto:stewarth@HA.com
    ------------------------------------------
    Heritage Auctions
    Heritage Auctions

2801 W. Airport Freeway

Dallas, Texas 75261

Phone: 1-800-US-COINS, x1355
    Heritage Auctions
  • Options
    Dennis88Dennis88 Posts: 5,797 ✭✭✭
    What about a mobile phone with a camera?

Dennis
  • Options
    Tell "Petey" that Jim says "Hey" image
    Cam-Slam 2-6-04
    3 "DAMMIT BOYS"
    4 "YOU SUCKS"
    Numerous POTD (But NONE officially recognized)
    Seated Halves are my specialty !
    Seated Half set by date/mm COMPLETE !
    Seated Half set by WB# - 289 down / 31 to go !!!!!
    (1) "Smoebody smack him" from CornCobWipe !
    IN MEMORY OF THE CUOF image

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file