Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

St Gaudens advice needed

I recently bought a raw 1922-S $20 St Gaudens, which has just made it to me. I've got 10 days to decide whether to keep it or not & am in a quandry due to the following:

Both sides of the coin appear to be in decent AU - low MS condition. However, there is a ding on the rim, which has flattened out the "B" in PLURIBUS. It looks like the coin has been dropped - this being the impact point! Said ding extends about 2/3 of the way across the rim & its just visible at the edge of the very bottom of the reverse side.

What I would like to know (from someone with more knowledge than I possess) is what effect this would have if I sent it in for grading? Would the coin be disqualified? Would it be graded down? Would it not matter?

Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,460 ✭✭✭✭✭
    all I know is that if you are unhappy with it now, you will be unhappy with it later even if it is covered in plastic
  • Options
    PreussenPreussen Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭

<< <i>all I know is that if you are unhappy with it now, you will be unhappy with it later even if it is covered in plastic >>

image Why settle for one you know has a problem? Of course it's your decision, but I'd wait & find another. - Preussen
    "Illegitimis non carborundum" -General Joseph Stilwell. See my auctions
  • Options
    JJMJJM Posts: 7,984 ✭✭✭✭✭
    send it back and wait for another to come around,....and BTW image
    👍BST's erickso1,cone10,MICHAELDIXON,TennesseeDave,p8nt,jmdm1194,RWW,robkool,Ahrensdad,Timbuk3,Downtown1974,bigjpst,mustanggt,Yorkshireman,idratherbgardening,SurfinxHI,derryb,masscrew,Walkerguy21D,MJ1927,sniocsu,Coll3tor,doubleeagle07,luciobar1980,PerryHall,SNMAM,mbcoin,liefgold,keyman64,maprince230,TorinoCobra71,RB1026,Weiss,LukeMarshall,Wingsrule,Silveryfire, pointfivezero,IKE1964,AL410, Tdec1000, AnkurJ,guitarwes,Type2,Bp777,jfoot113,JWP,mattniss,dantheman984,jclovescoins,Collectorcoins,Weather11am,Namvet69,kansasman,Bruce7789,ADG,Larrob37
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,447 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you want a Saint in a slab, buy a Saint in a slab. Duh!!!

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    saintgurusaintguru Posts: 7,724 ✭✭✭
    First of all, there is no PLURIBUS on a real Saint....so take a better look.image

A Saint has the sun on the bottom of the coin on the reverse. What do you HAVE??

The reverse of the 1922-S is unique in that it has a second indentation beneath the sun that looks like a rim recess. It's an as-made die stamping.

• Options
    CladiatorCladiator Posts: 17,920 ✭✭✭✭✭
    imageimageimage
  • Options
    I am talking about the edge/rim of the coin - not the face!
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My spidey sense is tingling.... Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    Return the damn coin. You're too dim to own a Saint.image
  • Options
    goose3goose3 Posts: 11,471 ✭✭✭
  • Options

<< <i>First of all, there is no PLURIBUS on a real Saint....so take a better look.image

A Saint has the sun on the bottom of the coin on the reverse. What do you HAVE??

The reverse of the 1922-S is unique in that it has a second indentation beneath the sun that looks like a rim recess. It's an as-made die stamping.

image >>

From Q. David Bowers
    A Guide Book of Double Eagle Gold Coins

Edge:Raised letters & stars as E * PLURIBUS * UNUM *

But thanks for your "advice."
  • Options

<< <i>However, there is a ding on the rim, >>

you said rim....get it graded, Muttface.

It sounds like a great coin.image
  • Options
    And you said "there is no PLURIBUS on a real St Gaudens" image
  • Options
    Perhaps it is the wording...

is it "on" it ... image

or "around it" ... image

maybe either or maybe both image
    ---------------------------------------------

"The Villain"

Shiba Rescue Organization
    A Shiba Inu is a terrible thing to waste! image
  • Options
    RichieURichRichieURich Posts: 8,373 ✭✭✭✭✭
    image to the Forum, MrBeast! Enjoy!

An authorized PCGS dealer, and a contributor to the Red Book.

• Options
    roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Key date saint in circ/slider grade most likely, with at least one rim or edge bang? I'd return this in a heartbeat unless you got it for just over melt. What is your point in purchasing such a coin? Starting a saint collection? It seems like a good deal? It's a scarce date?

As Saintguruvius hinted at, if you have to ask this type of question on a lower grade $1000+ RAW saint, you aren't ready to know what it really is. I suspect it will be a very difficult coin to resell down the road for anywhere near what you paid (ie the odds are 90+% against you)

roadrunner
    Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • Options
    krankykranky Posts: 8,709 ✭✭✭
    First, welcome to the boards, MrBeast. Don't know why you got a few less-than-gracious replies. I think your question was appropriately asked. And I give you credit for examining the edge, which many people, even experienced collectors, fail to do.

But from your description, you probably ought to return it. Perhaps the coin was already submitted and returned unslabbed for the rim ding. It's too pricey of a coin to take that kind of chance.

New collectors, please educate yourself before spending money on coins; there are people who believe that using numismatic knowledge to rip the naïve is what this hobby is all about.

• Options
    KonaheadKonahead Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭
    I would return it and continue the search
    PEACE! This is the first day of the rest of your life.

Fred, Las Vegas, NV
  • Options
    Welcome!

Learn from those of us who have made the mistakes first. If you aren't completely happy with the coin, return it immediately. There are plenty of saints out there and its better to pick one of those up then watch them go by while you look at a coin that will become uglier to you as the years go by. Don't take the chance...sounds like a coin full of problems.

• Options

<< <i>First, welcome to the boards, MrBeast. Don't know why you got a few less-than-gracious replies. I think your question was appropriately asked. And I give you credit for examining the edge, which many people, even experienced collectors, fail to do.

But from your description, you probably ought to return it. Perhaps the coin was already submitted and returned unslabbed for the rim ding. It's too pricey of a coin to take that kind of chance. >>

Pick ME! Pick ME!

OK..so I was putting The Beast through the mill...between the feelgood stock market rallying at the time and the butt fugly ex-Cokkney avatar that Beastie was using prior to this one...AND only 1 post to his name...well the "BEAST" in me came out...image

Nonetheless, the point that has been made..and I was making, was screw the date, screw the AU/MS question...a damaged edge/rim/o-ring...whatever...says "send me back"!

We are in a market where the SLIGHTEST miniscule mark can put a collector in an abyss for reselling..and with a Saint for an apparant neophyte, this needed tought love. image

Beast....You want coins that make you say "I can;t BELIEVE this is only an AU58, an MS63...etc.!" NEVER buy a coin where you have to consciously overlook something as significant as a major rim hit. It will haunt you forever, because you'll never get more than low bullion price for it.

Be selective. It's cool that you found a date like a 22-S which is certainly better than the usual 1908NM, 1924, 1928...but no compromises!

Since RYK has knighted a recent comment I made...I'll say it again.

NO ONE EVER GOT BURNED BY PASSING ON A COIN.image
  • Options
    RYKRYK Posts: 35,789 ✭✭✭✭✭
    NEVER buy a coin where you have to consciously overlook

That's another gem of a lesson. Buy the coin with the rim nick, and the next thing you know, you own a rim nick with a coin attached. If your eyes continue to be drawn to a glaring imperfection, you will never enjoy the coin and will have a hard time selling it later.
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Excellent advice from those with experience... I still have my 'learning experiences'.. and refer to them periodically when I am tempted to repeat history. Do not buy the coin unless it produces that warm feeling of satisfaction each and every time you look at it. Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    I strongly agree with Saintguru and RYK. I once bought a Connecticut Commem with a rim ding. PCGS bagged it becasue of the ding. That is all I saw when I looked at the coin, the big damn ding. I could not sell that coin fast enough. Send it back and try again. This is especialy true when you are buying a coin like a Saint. You want a beautiful, problem free, example if you are going to buy one. Good luck.image
  • Options
    The most innocous thing that bothers you about a coin is the fingerprint of that coin in your mind forever.
  • Options

<< <i>First of all, there is no PLURIBUS on a real Saint....so take a better look.image

image >>

how do you know?

live each day like it's your last but don't count on it!
  • Options
    I know. I know.

MARTIAN.image

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file