Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Suggestions for a Newbie

Hi,

I have been lurking around the boards for a few months and have decided to get into collecting. I dabbled in it years ago, but never anything serious. I had a couple questions and any help or suggestions is greatly appreciated:

1. What is a good coin to start with?

2. In terms of the new mint items, it seems like it would be fun to buy rolls and bags, dig through them and then submit them for grading. Is this going to turn out to be a huge waste of time and money due to my inexperience? If I were to try this where could I learn about basic grading so I would now how to distinguish prior to submitting? Any info on how to go about the submission process?

3. Of the new mint items, I thought the Presidential dollars may be a good place to start, what do you think?

4. Is there any books or trade magazines that are must for beginners?

Thank you in advance for your replies and suggestions.

Comments

• Options
    RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭
  • Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,305 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Welcome.

Don't jump right in. Read for awhile and see what floats your boat when people post pics, etc.
    Don't get the mint bags/rolls until you know what you like and are doing. Get rolls from the bank. to learn from.
    Get a few books on grading.
    Presidential dollars suck
    Red book. Photograde

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options
    Musky1011Musky1011 Posts: 3,899 ✭✭✭✭
    READ, RESEARCH,READ, RESEARCH

Don't be afraid to ask opinions or question from the boards

"If you fail to plan---you plan to fail"

Only buy QUALITY COINS

PCGS,NGC,ANACS

Stay away from "Modern Crap"

Better to have one high quality coin than 20 moderns,or low grade crap

Buy a "Dansco 7070 type set album", Start with that, Can fill quite a few holes with a few proof sets

Enter "giveaways", nothing better than FREE stuff

P.M. me your addy. I will give you something-FREE

Wish I started this way

Jim

Pilgrim Clock and Gift Shop.. Expert clock repair since 1844

Menomonee Falls Wisconsin USA

http://www.pcgs.com/SetRegistr...dset.aspx?s=68269&ac=1">Musky 1861 Mint Set
  • Options
    CladiatorCladiator Posts: 17,920 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>1. What is a good coin to start with? >>

Half Dimes image

<< <i>4. Is there any books or trade magazines that are must for beginners? >>

The Redbook.
  • Options
    Hi JLOW13!

I would strongly reccommend the book "A Guide Book Of United States Type Coins: A Complete History And Price Guide For The Collector And Investor (The Official Red Book)" by Q. David Bowers.

This book is a fun read, and will acquant you with the full range of US coins available -- reading it cover to cover is a much cheaper education than buying overgraded, overpriced coins that you will later regret.

If you read it cover to cover, one of two things will happen. (1) You'll decide to actually work on a type set (20th century, no gold is a popular first choice) or (2) You'll find a series that piques your interest.

I would reccommend against digging through and submitting current issues -- in most cases you'll end up spending more than you could find the same coin, already slabbed. If you want to start with a particular series, why not pick a set that is already obsolete, but fairly doable, like the Peace $'s or Franklin Halves, or Wheat cents. -- Just a thought, but I imagine you'll find more enjoyment collecting coins that others don't have in their pockets...

Good Luck!

Rex
  • Options
    Welcome JLOW13.

What series do you like the looks of? That is the series you should start with. Have fun. Remember you don't have to complete the set over night, you can start with just a date set then worry about the mintmarks. Some series have short sets. Lately with my son, we are into the humble Kennedy set, but if you like the ugly Franklins that is up to you.

As far as a starting magizine goes, "Coinage" covers the hobby fairly good but there are better books out there for the series you might be interested in. Study prices, and pick a good dealer to work with. Understand your goals, have fun and read up on the series of your choice before laying out too much money.
  • Options
    123cents123cents Posts: 7,178 ✭✭✭
    image To the boards JLOW13. The Coin Collector's Survival Manual by Scott A. Travers is a great book for a newbie.
  • Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,926 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Read a lot threads here. Post questions here when you have them. If you ask for help on a live auction, expect other bidders to bid on it if it is worthwhile.

When you do start buying I recommend starting with items that are relatively cheap that you can use your initial acquisitions as a learning experience that won't cost you too much if you make a mistake. If you are buying sight unseen (meaning you only view photos, like on auction websites) you will need to get good at picking apart photos. Comparing photos with what it looks like in-hand after it's shipped to you for less expensive items helps you get better at picking apart and noticing things in photos.

Learn to recognize valid TPGs (PCGS, NGC, ANACS, ICG) and "third-world" TPGs which are on eBay. "Third-world" TPGs, basically any TPG that you don't recognize, should be treated as raw. Also be weary of more expensive TPG slabbed premodern coins, even ones from top TPGs. There are many nuances to TPG grading and one MS65 isn't the same as every other MS65.

Basically start off reading and doing research. Buy cheap things to get experience that won't cost you too much if you make a mistake. And post here when you have a question.
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Welcome aboard... have fun.. start slow, as stated above, get a redbook, a grading book, read a lot of threads, practice grading on examples posted here... go to coin shows, ask questions... have more fun... Cheers, RickO
  • Options

<< <i>Hi,

I have been lurking around the boards for a few months and have decided to get into collecting. I dabbled in it years ago, but never anything serious. I had a couple questions and any help or suggestions is greatly appreciated:

1. What is a good coin to start with?

2. In terms of the new mint items, it seems like it would be fun to buy rolls and bags, dig through them and then submit them for grading. Is this going to turn out to be a huge waste of time and money due to my inexperience? If I were to try this where could I learn about basic grading so I would now how to distinguish prior to submitting? Any info on how to go about the submission process?

3. Of the new mint items, I thought the Presidential dollars may be a good place to start, what do you think?

4. Is there any books or trade magazines that are must for beginners?

Thank you in advance for your replies and suggestions. >>

1) Collect what you like. If you have no idea, buy a variety of low cost items until something sticks.

2) In my opinion, buying bags and sending coins to be graded will be a waste of time and money. I suggest buying graded coins if that is what you desire instead of sending them in. The exception is the "hot" sets such as the 2006 Anniversary sets or the like. However, it doesn't look like there will be a similar crop of "hot" mint products for 2007.

3) Presidential dollars are fine if you would like to collect them. A proof set or mint set is a good way to start. Buying rolls or bags, isn't something I would do, but if it floats your boat that is fine. Again, the yield from sending them in to grade will probably be a significant drain of money, if it were me, I would prefer to spend this money on coins.

4) The RedBook is a good resource, as is a grading book such as the ANA Grading Guide or the PCGS guide (more geared to mint state coins). Coin World and Numismatic News are ok. Depending on your budget, these might be a good use of money, or might be a waste.

*) If you can make it to a coin show, that is a good place to look at a lot of stuff, though there usually isn't that much modern stuff such as Presidential dollars at shows. A loupe or magnifier is a good thing to have, especially if your interest is in mint state coins

Start slow, have fun. If you really want to get into the hobby, invest the substantial amount of time needed to learn how to grade, and learn what the market prices are for the coins you are most interested in. Talk to folks, look at lots of coins. Books can be useful to some, however most folks learn faster with real coins and real experiences vs. book reading.
  • Options
    tyler267tyler267 Posts: 1,234 ✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    Yea, I secons boch's comment. I have been part of these forums for about four months now and I still dont know 1/100 of what these guys know, and almost all of them say that I need to just get books and keep reading. Once you find a coin you like, do some research. I chose walkers b/c it was my first 'real' collecting coin. and I got a book from my grandpa (which I think I still need to return image lol ) and I just read all it had to offer about walkers and I learned alot, and that was just from one book.

image W e L c O m E image

Joe
  • Options
    Wow. Thanks for all the great information. I think I will pick up a Red Book as a starting point.

• Options
    After being in this hobby a little over a year I would say there is no substitue for hands on viewing of coins. Look at as many an you can in all grades. It will help you much more that viewing pictures. I bougt a sealed roll of ASE's just to get the experience of viewing the coin hands on. Old bank rolls are great to sort thru too. A sense of what state a coin is in develops very slowly but it is worth the effort for sure.
  • Options
    I suggest Coin Collecting for Dummies by Ron Guth, President of PCGS. It's a very good book for beginner and experienced collectors alike.
    Bob
  • Options
    JJMJJM Posts: 7,984 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Morgans, pre 1964 Silver and old gold........New mint products suck IMO opinion except for the Marine Comm, and the Granite Lady Comm

welcome to collecting

👍BST's erickso1,cone10,MICHAELDIXON,TennesseeDave,p8nt,jmdm1194,RWW,robkool,Ahrensdad,Timbuk3,Downtown1974,bigjpst,mustanggt,Yorkshireman,idratherbgardening,SurfinxHI,derryb,masscrew,Walkerguy21D,MJ1927,sniocsu,Coll3tor,doubleeagle07,luciobar1980,PerryHall,SNMAM,mbcoin,liefgold,keyman64,maprince230,TorinoCobra71,RB1026,Weiss,LukeMarshall,Wingsrule,Silveryfire, pointfivezero,IKE1964,AL410, Tdec1000, AnkurJ,guitarwes,Type2,Bp777,jfoot113,JWP,mattniss,dantheman984,jclovescoins,Collectorcoins,Weather11am,Namvet69,kansasman,Bruce7789,ADG,Larrob37
  • Options
    compromonedascompromonedas Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭

<< <i>READ, RESEARCH,READ, RESEARCH

Only buy QUALITY COINS

PCGS,NGC,ANACS

Buy a "Dansco 7070 type set album", Start with that, Can fill quite a few holes with a few proof sets

Wish I started this way

Jim >>

"STAY AWAY FROM MODERN CRAP" Are you serious??? Modern crap is the best way to start a collectionimage
  • Options
    Go to a show....that's where you'll realize that most of what people say is "rare" is not in fact "rare".

It will also be the fastest way to make yourself understand that it pays to be discriminating in what you purchase, rather than just throw a ton of money out the window in the 1st year....something a lot of newbies do.

Oh yeah, buy a Redbook....

Rufus T. Firefly: How would you like a job in the mint?

Chicolini: Mint? No, no, I no like a mint. Uh - what other flavor you got?

• Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,926 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Another good thing to look up is widget theory. Some people avoid widgets, some people like them. The important thing is to understand the phenomena.
  • Options
    it depends if you are trying to make money, find beauty, or both. Collect what you love.

I'm a sucker for barber stuff in F-XF condition... everyone's different.

Have fun! image

Remember that as long as the coin holds it's value, you're not really spending any money on it. image You can try that reasoning on the wife if you have one and see how it goes over.
  • Options
    JeremyDie1JeremyDie1 Posts: 2,383 ✭✭✭
  • Options
    stay away from anyone who tells you what NOT to collect.

they are biased and full of crap.

and remember, in the end....

you will find out that it is really all aboot the

PROFIT ™
    know what you don't know.

hi, i'm tom.

i do not doctor coins like some who post in here.

• Options
    Musky1011Musky1011 Posts: 3,899 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>READ, RESEARCH,READ, RESEARCH

Only buy QUALITY COINS

PCGS,NGC,ANACS

Wish I started this way

Jim >>

Sorry stay away from TPG modern crap
    Pilgrim Clock and Gift Shop.. Expert clock repair since 1844

Menomonee Falls Wisconsin USA

http://www.pcgs.com/SetRegistr...dset.aspx?s=68269&ac=1">Musky 1861 Mint Set
  • Options
    RichieURichRichieURich Posts: 8,373 ✭✭✭✭✭
    image to the Forum, JLOW13! Enjoy!

For newbies, I agree with those who said buy a Redbook. I suggest the spiral edition, it will stand up well to constant use. Then read it, see if any coin designs float your boat. Read up on any such designs here or elsewhere. Read and research first, there's plenty of time to buy stuff later. You'll be better off deciding what you like first, then buying it, than you would be buying a bunch of stuff and selling off what you don't like. Read the threads here on eBay before you even consider buying any coins there. Good luck!

An authorized PCGS dealer, and a contributor to the Red Book.

• Options
    BlindedByEgoBlindedByEgo Posts: 10,754 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Welcome. Always remember that money spends easier than it earns image
  • Options
    fcloudfcloud Posts: 12,133 ✭✭✭✭
    Welcome.

President, Racine Numismatic Society 2013-2014; Variety Resource Dimes; See 6/8/12 CDN for my article on Winged Liberty Dimes; Ebay

• Options
    Welcome aboard
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Apropos of the coin posse/aka caca: "The longer he spoke of his honor, the tighter I held to my purse."

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file