Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

1873 CC trade dollar

i believe this came from my great grand father to my mother then to my silver collection. i know i probably screwed it up by cleaning it but other than that what do you think about it? I'm new to the coin collecting world but i have had about 100 1922 silver dollars and halves and quarters since i was about 5. so here they are.
also are there any tricks to photographing coins?

thanks

Elliot
i have a small collection of silver coins and some very interesting ones too.

Comments

• Options
    commoncents05commoncents05 Posts: 10,078 ✭✭✭
    DON'T CLEAN YOUR COINS!!!!

Welcome!!

-Paul
    Many Quality coins for sale at http://www.CommonCentsRareCoins.com
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Welcome to the boards..
    Yes, you were mistaken when you cleaned it.... never clean a coin. There are some superb threads on coin photography here.. just do a search - and yes, there are tricks. Enjoy... Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,449 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Looks like someone put their initials in the obverse and reverse fields.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    rec78rec78 Posts: 5,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    image I like it. Very rare coin. It is a coin lacking in my collection.I can overlook the graffitti on this one. OH YEAH---Please don't clean coins !!! Bobimage
  • Options
    yea i noticed the initials but i haven't been able to read them very well. is it L.W.H.? also do we have any graders here?

thanks

Elliot
  • Options
    123cents123cents Posts: 7,178 ✭✭✭
    image To the forum Elliot. The cleaning and graffiti on the obverse and reverse really lessen the value of your coin.
  • Options
    a quick google search of L. W. H. on coin came up with this.
    fixed it. click me
  • Options
    DDRDDR Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would grade it Extra Fine, but with the cleaning and initials it would probably net 2 grades lower.
  • Options
    so extra fine is what it is? any other ideas. what would it be worth. and should i get it sent in for further information?

thanks

Elliot
  • Options
    123cents123cents Posts: 7,178 ✭✭✭
    It is a "problems coin" and you will have to send it in to ANACS grading service if you want to get it slabbed and graded.
  • Options
    shirohniichanshirohniichan Posts: 4,992 ✭✭✭
    If you can find out where your great grandfather got it (and if he knew an "LWH") may make its sentimental value far outstrip its actual cash value. Once cleaned and damaged with grafitti, its collector value is severely reduced.
    Obscurum per obscurius
  • Options
    JJMJJM Posts: 7,984 ✭✭✭✭✭
    image to bad about the coin, oh well , lesson learned,....very nice family keepsake.......
    👍BST's erickso1,cone10,MICHAELDIXON,TennesseeDave,p8nt,jmdm1194,RWW,robkool,Ahrensdad,Timbuk3,Downtown1974,bigjpst,mustanggt,Yorkshireman,idratherbgardening,SurfinxHI,derryb,masscrew,Walkerguy21D,MJ1927,sniocsu,Coll3tor,doubleeagle07,luciobar1980,PerryHall,SNMAM,mbcoin,liefgold,keyman64,maprince230,TorinoCobra71,RB1026,Weiss,LukeMarshall,Wingsrule,Silveryfire, pointfivezero,IKE1964,AL410, Tdec1000, AnkurJ,guitarwes,Type2,Bp777,jfoot113,JWP,mattniss,dantheman984,jclovescoins,Collectorcoins,Weather11am,Namvet69,kansasman,Bruce7789,ADG,Larrob37
  • Options
    well maybe in another hundred years or so it will have that nice rainbow color back.
  • Options
    TorinoCobra71TorinoCobra71 Posts: 8,024 ✭✭✭
    turn off the flash/ re arrange your lights, that glare is a KILLER!

TorinoCobra71

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file