Home Buy, Sell & Trade - Cards & Memorabilia
Options

What is the highest graded or rarest pre-war card you own?

1941 and earlier, reputable grading company

post a scan if you want to share!
Mark B.

Seeking primarily PSA graded pre-war "type" cards

My PSA Registry Sets

34 Goudey, 75 Topps Mini, Hall of Fame Complete Set, 1985 Topps Tiffany, Hall of Fame Players Complete Set

Comments

• Options
    msassinmsassin Posts: 1,564 ✭✭✭
    M116 Bresnahan 8.5

I've got a Sporting Life Bresnahan (Blue) that is a GAI 8.5
    There has never been a PSA higher than a 7.

Other than a couple Play Ball commons (long gone) I have never owned a PSA 9 Pre-War
  • Options
    mkg809mkg809 Posts: 1,320 ✭✭
    Here are my 2. Nothing rare or valuable, but priceless to me.

• Options
    My favorite is my Ruth card

and my highest grade is my Williams, which could be an 8

Link to my current Ebay auctions

"If I ever decided to do a book, I've already got the title-The Bases Were Loaded and So Was I"-Jim Fregosi
  • Options
    goose3goose3 Posts: 11,471 ✭✭✭
    That Ruth is Awesome!!!!!!!!!!
  • Options
    GriffinsGriffins Posts: 6,076 ✭✭✭
    These are it until I find an 11!
    imageimage

And for non game cards (have some 8's, but this one is sharper, centering notwithstanding):

Always looking for Topps Salesman Samples, pre '51 unopened packs, E90-2, E91a, N690 Kalamazoo Bats, and T204 Square Frame Ramly's

• Options
    Treetop- That Williams is an 8! Crack it out!

Always looking for Topps Salesman Samples, pre '51 unopened packs, E90-2, E91a, N690 Kalamazoo Bats, and T204 Square Frame Ramly's

• Options

Although only a common, Its my common.
    succesful deals :richtree, Bosox1976, Bkritz, mknez, SOM, cardcounter2, ddfamf, cougar701, mrG, Griffins : thanks All

Go Phillies
  • Options
    Probably my rarest, now if I can just find the other 1/3 of the card...

Maybe a close second: the first football card:

“Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.” - George Carlin
  • Options
    Mark B.

My PSA Registry Sets

34 Goudey, 75 Topps Mini, Hall of Fame Complete Set, 1985 Topps Tiffany, Hall of Fame Players Complete Set
  • Options
    imageimageimage
    Mark B.

My PSA Registry Sets

• Options
    Nothing too rare or exciting here, but my favorite (and rarest pre-war card I own), along with my highest graded:

imageimage
  • Options
    Treetop- That Williams is an 8! Crack it out!

Griffin,

Trust me, I will one of these days. Just can't bring myself to do it right now. I've cracked out hundreds of cards through the years, but last year I cracked a beautiful Carew rookie PSA 8 and nicked the corner. Thinking it could go 9, it went quickly to a 7

Link to my current Ebay auctions

"If I ever decided to do a book, I've already got the title-The Bases Were Loaded and So Was I"-Jim Fregosi
  • Options
    Not my most expensive or highest graded...but definately my current favorite!

• Options
    how do you guys get the images to show up on the page without an underlined link re-directing you? I know you can upload the files to this site but you have a 50kb limitation. Some of these files are much larger, though, and they seem to be linked to an image service. Sorry, I know this topic has been discussed numerous times. Thanks!
    Mark B.

My PSA Registry Sets

• Options
    figured it out. thanks.
    Mark B.

My PSA Registry Sets

• Options
    Collecting - n2, n13, n28, n29, n43, n162, n184, t3, t6, t9, t200, tobacco albums, tobacco advertising cards, tobacco banners (that picture the 19th century card sets).
  • Options
    imageimageimage
    imageimage
    imageimage
    imageimage
    imageimage
    Collecting - n2, n13, n28, n29, n43, n162, n184, t3, t6, t9, t200, tobacco albums, tobacco advertising cards, tobacco banners (that picture the 19th century card sets).
  • Options
    nice mix of very vintage stuff there, vwtdi.
    Mark B.

My PSA Registry Sets

• Options
    I'm temporarily sans scanner but I just got a 1902 Ogdens Tabs Jim (Jem) Mace (HOF Boxer) in a crystal clean PSA 6 slab. Not my most valuable monetarily but pretty high up there on my favorites list right now.

Arthur
  • Options
    that Johnson looks undergraded, asphaltman. must be something not visible in the scan?
    Mark B.

My PSA Registry Sets

• Options
    Keith- whats the card between the 2 OJ's? A T5 Pinkerton?

• Options
    goose3goose3 Posts: 11,471 ✭✭✭
    No scan of the one in my set that's a 7.....and I can't find the scan of the Gehrig in 6....

this one's no slouch though.....a solid, very solid! 6.....

• Options
    yes Anthony, just a mini scan image
  • Options
    Ladder7Ladder7 Posts: 1,221
    Trimmed, but I think these are the only graded.

imageimage
  • Options
    Craveking...there is the speck of paperloss by "Johnson" on the card....
  • Options
  • Options
    ArchaninatorArchaninator Posts: 823 ✭✭✭
    DELETE
  • Options
    A GEM MT from 1896, amazing!
    Mark B.

My PSA Registry Sets

• Options
    Gem mint, but what the heck is it?image
  • Options
    cohocorpcohocorp Posts: 1,371 ✭✭
    my highest graded is this t206 mathewson dark cap psa 6.

• Options

<< <i>my highest graded is this t206 mathewson dark cap psa 6.

image >>

Very nice cohocorp.

Arthur
  • Options
    thanks XanaduNow.

pat
  • Options
    love that joe jackson!
  • Options
    Pre-war and pre-sinking.

It went to SGC when I got no reply from PSA.

• Options

Collecting Vintage Boxing Cards
  • Options
    A PSA 8 Beecher...WOW! An SGC 40 is already up to $1800 after two days in the Mastro auction. Mine is ungraded, probably would grade a PSA 2.

Onlychild: that Titantic card is probably one of my favorite non-sports cards, pre-sinking very cool. How many would you estimate exist?
    “Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.” - George Carlin
  • Options

<< <i>Onlychild: that Titantic card is probably one of my favorite non-sports cards, pre-sinking very cool. How many would you estimate exist? >>

I'm sure there are several out there but although some say it is not rare, there were only 12 offered on eBay last year. This was the first graded anywhere and just happens to be a high quality example for that issue.

Oddly enough, though the event was monsterous even by today's standards and has been known by practically everyone in the past 100 years, the card not found its way into our hobby...yet. My guess is because it's a British card and not listed in the american price guides.

It is the only trade card known to show the Titanic before the sinking and is in color to boot. It's therefore a very desired relic in the Titanic collector world. One can assume when/if it takes hold in the card collecting hobby, it will become just as popular.

Here is more info on it.
  • Options
    originalisbestoriginalisbest Posts: 5,915 ✭✭✭✭
    Great cards - love the Ju Ju Drums Cobb.

My best prewar card would likely be my T205 Cobb, closely followed by a '33 Goudey Ruth #181. Neither in terribly high grade, but not thrashed either. image
  • Options
    frankhardyfrankhardy Posts: 8,046 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ok guys, this thread can include "RAREST" and not necessarily the highest graded, right?

Some of this stuff that you guys have posted is simply stunning. This card isn't in that league, but it is still as rare of a card as you can get. This card is at PSA as we speak. There are 0 graded in the population report. This is a 1914 T216 Peoples Tobacco Wild Bill Donovan. Peoples tobacco cards are rare enough. This one is a "Virginia's Extra" back which makes it even more rare. On top of that, it is a "thin paper" version which makes it even more rare. PSA has grade none of ANY of the Donovan versions, and this one is the most rare. It's in bad shape, but truly scarce.

Shane

• Options
    Just got. Highest grade.
    succesful deals :richtree, Bosox1976, Bkritz, mknez, SOM, cardcounter2, ddfamf, cougar701, mrG, Griffins : thanks All

Go Phillies
  • Options
    StingrayStingray Posts: 8,843 ✭✭✭

<< <i>imageimage >>

This has to be the oldest PSA 10!!
  • Options
    believe it or not, there are FIVE items graded psa 10 from the "1894 lawson's patent base ball game,"
    that are the oldest psa 10's to appear in the baseball category.
    none the less, the n301 mayo is still a gorgeous piece!

what a GREAT thread!
    thanks for sharing, everybody... keep that stuff a comin'
  • Options
    This is my nicest card that I have scanned. It is from my T3 set that I am putting together.

David

• Options
    Wanted to show one you guys might not see otherwise here. Currently my highest graded prewar card.

RayB
    Never met a Vintage card I didn't like!
  • Options
    nice card, Ray. do you have any of the hockey cards?
    Mark B.

My PSA Registry Sets

• Options
    RipublicaninMassRipublicaninMass Posts: 10,051 ✭✭✭
    packman, I need to go change my undies
  • Options
    2dueces2dueces Posts: 6,252 ✭✭✭✭✭

I own a few T206's in PSA 5 and SGC 60's. Here's 1.

W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.
  • Options
    WOW SOME GREAT CARDS GUYS~~~~~~~~~~~~~image

Go Phillies
  • Options
    rbdjr1rbdjr1 Posts: 4,474 ✭✭

Does this count?

I bought this Lou Gehrig card item from a fellow CU threads member, a short while ago! The only other Lou Gehrig PSA 9, graded in the 1920's was another "hand cut", the 1927 W560 Hand Cut, of which there has been 2 graded PSA 9's (and a PSA 10) of Lou Gehrig!

So here is the total "pre-war" Pop Report of Lou Gehrig PSA 9's (or PSA 10's):

1927 - Pop 2 - W560 Hand Cut, Three of Clubs (Also, there is one PSA 10 example.)
    1928 - Pop 2 - W565 hand Cut, Blank Back
    1930 - Pop 1 - Cracker Jack Pins
    1933 - Pop 5 - Goudey # 092 (Also, there is one PSA 10 example, wow!)
    1933 - Pop 1 - Goudey # 160
    1934 - Pop 2 - Goudey # 037
    1934 - Pop 4 - Goudey # 061

Other than above there are no other PSA 9's (or 10's!) known graded examples, listed in the PSA Pop Report (the next graded PSA 9's would be the 1950 CALLAHAN H.O.F. There are 3 PSA 9 examples).

rd

• Options

<< <i>So here is the total "pre-war" Pop Report of Lou Gehrig PSA 9's (or PSA 10's): >>

I'm sure Ruth is close to the same (low pops) in playing-era cards.