Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Master Obverse Hub: Pattern 3 Mark

K-76 Pattern 3 Mark, 1913, Master Obverse Hub, Steel, 36mm shank, 26.5mm face. Unique.

Finely crafted portrait of Kaiser Wilhelm II in Garde du Corps uniform and cuirass facing right.

Goetz was known to hand engrave die devices for his struck patterns and, here, it is apparent that after the negative die was created from this hub Goetz would polish the surface and add the final devices directly onto the die. The final pattern would have Wilhelm’s bust encircled with a pearled circle and the Imperial and royal titles.

Comments

• Options

<< <i>K-76 Pattern 3 Mark, 1913, Master Obverse Hub, Steel, 36mm shank, 26.5mm face. Unique.

Finely crafted portrait of Kaiser Wilhelm II in Garde du Corps uniform and cuirass facing right.

Goetz was known to hand engrave die devices for his struck patterns and, here, it is apparent that after the negative die was created from this hub Goetz would polish the surface and add the final devices directly onto the die. The final pattern would have Wilhelm’s bust encircled with a pearled circle and the Imperial and royal titles.

image >>

That's my Great Grandfather! Or is it great great grandfather? Either way, he was my grandmother's grandfather.
  • Options
    shirohniichanshirohniichan Posts: 4,992 ✭✭✭
    Nice find. The coolness value on it must be very high, even if it has no catalog value.
    Obscurum per obscurius
  • Options
    PreussenPreussen Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭
    Very Cool image - Preussen
    "Illegitimis non carborundum" -General Joseph Stilwell. See my auctions
  • Options
    UdoUdo Posts: 984 ✭✭
    WAY image
    imageimage
  • Options
    StorkStork Posts: 5,205 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That is really cool!!

I've often thought about how his history was affected by the events of his birth.

"The forceful intervention of the physicians had caused injury to the Prince's neck and had severed some nerves leading to the left arm, leaving him permanently disabled, although the full extent of the damage was not apparent at the time and would only be revealed gradually. Despite the many cruel and imaginative ways the best doctors of the time attempted to cure the unhappy child's disability - with the application of electric currents, with so-called 'animal baths' in which a freshly slaughtered hare was wrapped around the lifeless arm, by strapping the 'good' arm to the boy's body, thus forcing him to attempt to use the useless one - the child that was destined to rule the most powerful military state of the late nineteenth century was unable even to get dressed by himself or cut up his own food. His mother was barely able to conceal her disappointment in her child, and the son, aware of the rejection, developed a strained love-hate relationship with his mother. Later in his life, these ambivalent feelings towards his English-born mother turned into a similarly strained relationship with England - with disastrous consequences" Linkage

From Wikipedia:

"Birth trauma
    A traumatic breech birth left him with a withered left arm due to Erb's palsy, which he tried with some success to conceal. In many photos he carries a pair of white gloves in his left hand to make the arm seem longer, or has his crippled arm on the hilt of a sword or clutching a cane to give the effect of the limb being poised at a dignified angle. Recent analysis of records of his birth in the Imperial Archives have also suggested that he may have experienced some brain trauma, possibly leading to damage. Historians are divided on whether such brain damage may have contributed to his frequently aggressive, tactless, headstrong, and occasionally bullying approach to problems and people, which was evident in both his personal and political life. Such an approach certainly marred German policy under his leadership, most notably in his dismissal of the cautious Otto von Bismarck"

"Kaiser Wilhelm II of Germany (1859) developed a weak and noticeably short left arm during childhood, commonly attributed to nerve damage caused by the use of excessive force during his difficult breech delivery, Erb's palsy. However, Wilhelm's mother had a severe fall when about four months pregnant and the child was reported to be very thin at birth, suggesting intrauterine growth restriction (IUGR). Wilhelm blamed the British doctor for his deformity, and formed an enmity, which ultimately led to the 1914-1918 world war Linkage

An example of where the world of numismatics and obstetrics collide...Perhaps a different delivery (or no fall as the one article suggests, but we'll never know) and the course of the world would have been different...and we wouldn't be looking at this particular numismatic item!

Cathy

• Options
    SYRACUSIANSYRACUSIAN Posts: 6,448 ✭✭✭✭
    Great information Cathy.

An example of where the world of numismatics and obstetrics collide...Perhaps a different delivery (or no fall as the one article suggests, but we'll never know) and the course of the world would have been different...and we wouldn't be looking at this particular numismatic item!

Why not? He would still be the Keiser, just not disabled. image
    Dimitri

myEbay

DPOTD 3
  • Options
    StorkStork Posts: 5,205 ✭✭✭✭✭
    But would he have done all the same activities ultimately leading up to the design of that particular item?

Who knows...maybe he would have been content growing flowers. Maybe he would have used a British engraver for his portriat. Maybe he would not have had any patterns made. Maybe he would have gotten killed trying to sail a boat with two functional arms.

The what if's are endless and I always wonder what 'might have been'--where even the smallest and most insignificant appearing act could have changed the course of events.

I couldn't find the source, with my most recent perusal, but I remember reading that after the doctors got the baby out they thought he was dead, and it was the midwife present who picked up the seemingly lifeless boy and revived him. What if she'd been kicked out of the room earlier?

Cathy image

• Options
    SYRACUSIANSYRACUSIAN Posts: 6,448 ✭✭✭✭
    OK, you made your point. image

Dimitri

myEbay

DPOTD 3