Home› U.S. Coin Forum
Options

What have I gotten myself into...decided to open a shop!!

Just thought I'd announce that I have opened a Coin and Collectibles Shop. The name is Dawes and Co. named after an ancestor of mine , William Dawes, who rode part of Paul Revere's ride.

I've spent the last 7 years doing the national coin show circuit and got sick of the traveling. So, decided to open a shop. I will still be attending some of the national shows from time to time but for now I'm trying to get this place up and running.

The website should be online next week or early the following week. I have a few goodies that I think people will like. image I'll probably post the web address, on the BST Board, when it goes online.

I'm located 5 hrs w. of Chicago, 2 1/2 hrs s. of minneapolis, 1 hr s.e. of LaCrosse Wisc., 9 hrs n. of St Louis, etc....in other words the middle of nowhereimage

Here's a couple pics of the interior.

image

I also sell Antique Firearms.

image

Please visit my website prehistoricamerica.com www.visitiowa.org/pinecreekcabins
«1

Comments

  • Options
    dthigpendthigpen Posts: 3,932 ✭✭
    Looks neat, congratulations. My great grandmother on my Father's side was a Dawes and lived in Oklahoma.
  • Options
    shirohniichanshirohniichan Posts: 4,992 ✭✭✭
    I love the decor!

    The Winchesters and Sharps add a nice touch. Best wishes on your new venture.

    Where's the new brick and mortar location?
    image
    Obscurum per obscurius
  • Options
    mcheathmcheath Posts: 2,441 ✭✭✭
    That shop looks real sweet. Good luckimage
  • Options
    guitarwesguitarwes Posts: 9,308 ✭✭✭

    COOL looking true B & M store there Elwood.
    I love the Winchester bullet montague, the shooting irons, and the old cash register!
    can't see the coins or I would compliment them also.

    I wish you the best in your endeavor.........wes
    @ Elite CNC Routing & Woodworks on Facebook. Check out my work.
    Too many positive BST transactions with too many members to list.
  • Options
    Great look to the store, the raw brick give it a rustic feel. Good luck!

    Dan
    The glass is half full!
    image
  • Options
    dbldie55dbldie55 Posts: 7,753 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very cool. Nice elk antler chandelier, they make those locally. I also like the old cash register. (Nice whitetail too)
    Collector and Researcher of Liberty Head Nickels. ANA LM-6053
  • Options
    BurksBurks Posts: 1,103 ✭
    Ah guns and coins together at once.

    Very nice looking shop.
    WTB: Eric Plunk cards, jersey (signed or unsigned), and autographs. Basically anything related to him

    Positive BST: WhiteThunder (x2), Ajaan, onefasttalon, mirabela, Wizard1, cucamongacoin, mccardguy1


    Negative BST: NONE!
  • Options
    elwoodelwood Posts: 2,414 ✭


    << <i>My great grandmother on my Father's side was a Dawes and lived in Oklahoma. >>



    Mr Thigpen, I didn't know we were relatedimage



    << <i>Where's the new brick and mortar location? >>



    I'm located in a small town in Iowa.



    THANKS!!! for the compliments!!!
    Please visit my website prehistoricamerica.com www.visitiowa.org/pinecreekcabins
  • Options
    INXSINXS Posts: 1,202 ✭
    Best of Luck elwood, I really like the interior. Where is this located?
    "Well here's another nice mess you have gotten me into" Oliver Hardy 1930
    image

    BST successful dealings with:MsMorrisine, goldman86
  • Options
    RRRR Posts: 630 ✭✭✭
    Iowa? Near Waukon by chance?

    RR
    <html />
  • Options
    DentuckDentuck Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭✭
    Congratulations and best wishes.

    The interior reminds me of Cohen's in the French Quarter, New Orleans.
  • Options
    RedneckHBRedneckHB Posts: 20,240 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very nice looking shop. What does that buck score? 140ish?
    Excuses are tools of the ignorant

    Knowledge is the enemy of fear

  • Options
    StuartStuart Posts: 9,831 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Elwood: I really like the look of your new shop. it has a very warm and comfortable look to it that should make your customers feel very relaxed while there. Best of luck to you in your new business endeavor.

    Stuart

    Collect 18th & 19th Century US Type Coins, Silver Dollars, $20 Gold Double Eagles and World Crowns & Talers with High Eye Appeal

    "Luck is what happens when Preparation meets Opportunity"
  • Options
    BigEBigE Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭
    Looks like a very nice shop with a great atmosphere. I bet you do really well, I see the TV cameras too, good idea----------BigE
    I'm glad I am a Tree
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 47,781 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Looks like a museum. First class all the way. Be sure to let us know your web site once you get it up and running. Do you give a discount to forum members? image

    Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.
    "Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value---zero."----Voltaire
    "Everything you say should be true, but not everything true should be said."----Voltaire

  • Options
    elwoodelwood Posts: 2,414 ✭


    << <i>Iowa? Near Waukon by chance? >>



    Only 20 miles away.






    << <i>What does that buck score? 140ish? >>



    High 180's non-typical...16 pointer with lots of kickers and a drop tine (sp?)
    Please visit my website prehistoricamerica.com www.visitiowa.org/pinecreekcabins
  • Options
    pharmerpharmer Posts: 8,355 ✭
    Looks nice. Good luck!
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

    Apropos of the coin posse/aka caca: "The longer he spoke of his honor, the tighter I held to my purse."

    image
  • Options
    mgoodm3mgoodm3 Posts: 17,497 ✭✭✭
    Nice shop.
    coinimaging.com/my photography articles Check out the new macro lens testing section
  • Options
    greghansengreghansen Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭
    I, of course, am partial to the pheasant tail feathers in the lower right hand corner of the 2nd picture!

    Congratulations, and best wishes.

    Greg Hansen, Melbourne, FL Click here for any current EBAY auctions Multiple "Circle of Trust" transactions over 14 years on forum

  • Options
    I wish you the best of luck with your business venture!
  • Options
    coinlieutenantcoinlieutenant Posts: 9,328 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Steve!! Excellent. Very excited for you. If I am ever up that way, I will most certainly drop in.

    Let me know when you buy that original gem set of bust quarters that walked in the door!!
  • Options
    How much for the cat hide?
    "Everyday above ground is a good day"

  • Options
    RRRR Posts: 630 ✭✭✭
    20 miles away? Probably Decorah?

    Wife's family use to go over there from Waukon to a german restaurant on the hill near town and some nordic type shop in town. That was many moons ago.

    RR
    <html />
  • Options
    BigEBigE Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭
    How much for the crackerbox?image----------BigE
    I'm glad I am a Tree
  • Options
    elwoodelwood Posts: 2,414 ✭


    << <i> Probably Decorah? >>



    That's it...way too many Norwegiansimage





    << <i>Let me know when you buy that original gem set of bust quarters that walked in the door!! >>



    Thanks John!! One can always hopeimage

    Please visit my website prehistoricamerica.com www.visitiowa.org/pinecreekcabins
  • Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 23,221 ✭✭✭✭✭
    While I doubt I will make it out to your neck of the woods, if I ever do, I will be certain to stop in. Good luck!image
    Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

    In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

    image
  • Options
    JulianJulian Posts: 3,370 ✭✭✭
    You certainly have the knowledge and attitude to operate a successful numismatic emporium, Steve. I wish you the very best of luck.
    PNG member, numismatic dealer since 1965. Operates a retail store, also has exhibited at over 1000 shows.
    I firmly believe in numismatics as the world's greatest hobby, but recognize that this is a luxury and without collectors, we can all spend/melt our collections/inventories.

    eBaystore
  • Options
    looks more like my old gun shop rather than a coin shop.
    "Everyday above ground is a good day"

  • Options
    LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,702 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow - nice. That ain't your average coin store!! image
    Gone but not forgotten: IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Ricko, Big Moose, Cardinal, CoinsAreFun.
  • Options
    elwoodelwood Posts: 2,414 ✭


    << <i>You certainly have the knowledge and attitude to operate a successful numismatic emporium, Steve. I wish you the very best of luck. >>



    Thanks Julian!!!! I really appreciate that!!!!!

    What about my attitude?image


    Please visit my website prehistoricamerica.com www.visitiowa.org/pinecreekcabins
  • Options

    Elwood,

    I live in Rochester, MN and would love to come to your stop sometime as Decorah, IA is less than 100 miles from here. What is your store address (especially since it is new and cannot be looked up in yellow pages) and what are your store hours.......

    THANKS,

    Ray

    ON WISCONSIN!!!
  • Options
    RussRuss Posts: 48,514 ✭✭✭
    That's dangerously close to Marty.

    Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    elwoodelwood Posts: 2,414 ✭
    Hi Ray

    I sent you a PM with details.


    steve
    Please visit my website prehistoricamerica.com www.visitiowa.org/pinecreekcabins
  • Options
    elwoodelwood Posts: 2,414 ✭


    << <i>That's dangerously close to Marty. >>



    He just deals in modern crap doesn't he?image

    Please visit my website prehistoricamerica.com www.visitiowa.org/pinecreekcabins
  • Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 20,834 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice looking place! Congratulations and best of luck to you.
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great looking shop.... guns and coins.. I love it. Congratulations.. best of luck. Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    RichieURichRichieURich Posts: 8,642 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Steve, I'm happy to see your shop, it looks like a fun place for the collectors to visit! And I will be happy to visit your website to help pay some of your start-up expenses. image

    When the set of gem BU Bust Quarters walks in, please sell it to CoinLt. But when the circ. set of Bust Quarters or Seated Quarters comes in, sell it to me! image

    Congratulations on your new shop and I wish you all the success in the world.

    An authorized PCGS dealer, and a contributor to the Red Book.

  • Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 30,333 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It looks great. Good luck.
    tempus fugit extra philosophiam.
  • Options
    lkrarecoinslkrarecoins Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭
    Good luck on your venture...it looks like a very nice place!
    In Loving Memory of my Dad......My best friend, My inspiration, and My Coin Collecting Partner

    "La Vostra Nonna Ha Faccia Del Fungo"
  • Options
    Nice ... put your website url in your signature line. It will help you get ranked higher on the search engines.
  • Options
    TahoeDaleTahoeDale Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭
    Steve,

    I think you have found the answer to a collector's dream. You can be among all the things you like, every day.

    Be sure to keep us up to date on the progress of the endeavor. We would love to hear the stories that will occur-- the little ol lady who comes in with the shoe box, and Lo and Behold--

    Early dollars, bust quarters, and a few Gobrecht's.

    Good Luck
    TahoeDale
  • Options
    MICHAELDIXONMICHAELDIXON Posts: 6,761 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Beautiful Store! Best of luck!
    Thanksgiving 2026 National Battlefield Coin Show November 27 & 28, 2026 at the Eisenhower Hotel Ballroom, Gettysburg, PA. No Early Bird passes for this show. WWW.AmericasCoinShows.com
  • Options
    jdimmickjdimmick Posts: 9,995 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Steve,

    Thats awsome!, I love the look of your store. Congratulations on getting this up and going. Ill Pm you

    jim
  • Options
    MadMartyMadMarty Posts: 16,697 ✭✭✭
    Where is that FRESH MEAT icon!!!

    Congrats!!
    It is not exactly cheating, I prefer to consider it creative problem solving!!!

  • Options
    dthigpendthigpen Posts: 3,932 ✭✭


    << <i>

    << <i>My great grandmother on my Father's side was a Dawes and lived in Oklahoma. >>



    Mr Thigpen, I didn't know we were relatedimage >>



    Perhaps we are. Scary for you, I'm sure. That part of the family is Cherokee. image

    Wish you best of luck with the new endevour, by the attitude I've seen you display here, I'm sure it'll do great.
  • Options
    NumisOxideNumisOxide Posts: 11,050 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow, your store has character.

    Coin-grats and I wish you the best of luck!
  • Options
    CoinRaritiesOnlineCoinRaritiesOnline Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭✭
    Congrats on opening a beautiful place, Steve. So THAT's what you've been up to lo these many months!

    You've got a great eye, are 100% honest and trustworthy, and have a collector orientation. I'm betting that the store will be a thrashing success!

  • Options
    RichieURichRichieURich Posts: 8,642 ✭✭✭✭✭
    image to the Forum, BadgerRay! Enjoy!

    An authorized PCGS dealer, and a contributor to the Red Book.

  • Options
    BarryBarry Posts: 10,100 ✭✭✭
    Good luck, Steve!
  • Options
    NicNic Posts: 3,438 ✭✭✭✭✭
    BEAUTIFUL Steve. image . I don't get that way much anymore, but I will be sure to check it out. PM sent. K

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Image
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file