Home U.S. Coin Forum

1808 is the twenty-eight informative picture thread covering the Capped Bust Half Dollar series. Sho

cmanbbcmanbb Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭✭✭
1808 my second favorite date in the CBH series

Mintage of 1,368,600 coins. It is the 10th lowest mintage of the regular 29 dates within the series.
There were 10 obverse dies, and 9 reverse dies producing 10 different varieties.
Within these varieties most are R1-R3, with the exception of the O-102 & O-110 (both R5)
The first year of this sub type to produce an overdate (1808/7 O-101, R1)

The coin pictured here is a cool O-107a (with the die cracks, not forund on the O-107)
According to Souders work (Bust Half Fever) the strike on this date is WEAK, but the strike on this PCGS AU55 is the exception, IMHO.
This first sub type produced only 2 years, the 1807 & 1808.
The 1808 is becoming more and more difficult to locate in choice AU and above condition,
and if you come across a choice XF45 and up, GRAB IT.

Comments

• MyqqyMyqqy Posts: 9,777
    I don't have my 1808 imaged yet, but I want to ttt this thread... image
    My style is impetuous, my defense is impregnable !
  • NysotoNysoto Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭✭✭
    1808 O.106a with a bisecting obverse die crack:

imageimage
    Robert Scot: Engraving Liberty - biography of US Mint's first chief engraver
  • Here is a O-109a that has a die crack that runs from star 6 across Liberty down to the second 8 and a second crack up thru the zero. Decent strike for the type and later die state.

• JRoccoJRocco Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great thread cmanbbimage
    Here is an 1808 O-102a R2
    Finding this variety in its prime state without the obverse die crack is RARE--R5+ I believe
    This one utilizes Obverse 2-s2 with Reverse B-s2
    Obv-There are sharp crosslines in the bottom of the L, a die crack spans the entire obverse and in later die states another crack joins below the ribbon forming a triangular die chip and another through star 8 to the coins edge.
    Rev-a center dot near the junction of the shield and the left wing, on most- a broad die break joins the lower left wing to tail feathers, and a crack runs from the base of ITE to the scroll. More cracks show from the edge below the 5 to the top of UNIT and another from the edge through ICA to below the C.
    Some coins are just plain "Interesting"
  • zap1111zap1111 Posts: 1,298 ✭✭
    cmanbb

That is one sweet bust half - beautiful! Thanks for sharing.
    zap1111
    102 capped bust half dollars - 100 die marriages
    BHNC #198
  • mozinmozin Posts: 8,755 ✭✭✭
    cmanbb,

Thanks for starting this thread. Two in a row for you.image

===================================================

imageimage

Some diagnostics for 1808 O-107a R2:

imageimage

Obverse: Star 1 points to lower edge of dentil. Miss Liberty has an Adam’s apple. Date is well centered. On this LDS, a crack from edge at star 5 crosses head, and to stars 8 and 9. Another from under date goes left across end of bust. Another from rim goes up through “0”, and proceeds through curls, neck, and joins earlier crack.

imageimageimage

Reverse: Four dots show in field just up from where shoulder meets shield. Two tines jut up from the scroll between “D” and “S”. Arrowheads are solidly joined. On this LDS, a crack runs through “NITED” to base of “STA”, top of scroll, and to “OF”. Another from olive stem runs left, across leaves, and to “U”. “I” centered below “T”.

Link to complete Capped Bust Half Dollar series threads Thanks to CoinAddict for providing this update thread throughout the past few months.image
    I collect Capped Bust series by variety in PCGS AU/MS grades.
  • O-101
    Obverse: Serif of 7 clearly above last 8 and inside loop of 8. Top of B unfinished. Die crack from base of date to left, joiningin star 1 through 6 and to forecurl. Another die crack can be seen from star 3 to bust, from edge to curl just above date. Another die crack can be seen from edge through 1 and into drapery. Another cracks joins stars on right side.
    Reverse: Die crack from UN down to leaf. A second crack at top of ATES. ANother crack above F and along top of AMERICA to C in 50 C.

O-103
    Obverse: Date well centered and slants to left. 08 slightly closer than 180. Stars large and well formed.
    Reverse: AM solid at base. Two lower arrowheads joined. I centered right side of T. die cracks visable around legend.

• OKbustchaserOKbustchaser Posts: 5,437 ✭✭✭✭✭
    104 and a member of PCGS Virtual Type Set

imageimage
    Just because I'm old doesn't mean I don't love to look at a pretty bust.
    OKbustchaser,

That is a wonderful coin!image

----------------------------------------------------------------------

pbfloyd,

Welcome to the CU Capped Bust Half Dollar series. See how your coin fits to my 1808 O-103.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

imageimage

Some diagnostics for 1808 O-103 R1:

Obverse: Star 1 points to upper half of dentil. Left base of “1” is missing. Date slants left, and “08” is slightly closer than “180”.

imageimageimage

Reverse: “AM” is joined, and scroll ends below the left side of the right upright of the “M”. Left claw of left talon is split. Two lower arrowheads are joined. “I” is centered under right side of “T”.
  • Crazy4CoinsCrazy4Coins Posts: 1,922 ✭✭✭
    Another example of the O-102a variety, same as previously posted by JRocco...Closer study may reveal some differences in die state.

• shirohniichanshirohniichan Posts: 4,992 ✭✭✭
    Obscurum per obscurius
    shirohniichan,

Happy to you have join our Capped Bust Half Dollar series. You are contributor number 90.

You have a neat chopmarked O-104. Interesting how the tiny die line protrudes up to the right, from the top of "R". Compare your coin's features with OKbustchaser's earlier in this thread.
  • shirohniichanshirohniichan Posts: 4,992 ✭✭✭
    Thanks for letting me know the Overton number. I've long wondered about that.
    Obscurum per obscurius
    You are very welcome. Glad to help.image
    Here is still another 1808 O-102a.

imageimage

Some diagnostics for 1808 O-102a R2:

imageimage

imageimage

Obverse: Star 1 points to upper edge of dentil. “08” is closer than “180”. Sharp crosslines show in “L”. On this LDS, a crack goes completely from rim below “0” up to rim above front of cap. Another crack spans from below date clockwise through first five stars, forecurl, and around to below ribbon ends. A triangular die chip shows in the hair just below the lower ribbon end at its left. (Easily seen in the large obverse picture.)

imageimage

imageimage

Reverse: A large oval dot shows in field where left shoulder is connected to shield. A broad die break joins the lower left wing to tail feathers. Left talon is split. Crack shows from “ITE” to scroll. On this LDS, there is a crack from below “5” to top of “UNIT”, another from “ICA” to below “C”. “I” is under the crossbar of “T” at right end.
  • BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dang! what a nice group of coins, one and all! image

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• coinnutcoinnut Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dang! what a nice group of coins, one and all!

I second that!!image
  • rjf810rjf810 Posts: 91 ✭✭
    Here is another 1808 O-103

rjf810,

Welcome to the CU Capped Bust Half Dollar series.

The toning on your 1808 is wonderful.image
  • 123cents123cents Posts: 7,178 ✭✭✭
    O-103

Some diagnostics for 1808 O-104a VLDS R5 (Marriage only R2):

imageimage

Obverse: Star 1 points between dentils. A diagonal die line shows on the cap, above the “R” at right. Another die line crosses ribbon ends. Date is high.

Reverse: A die line from end of olive stem curves towards right claw. “50” and “C” are low and close. “I” is centered under right side of “T”.

Note: This specimen is an unlisted VLDS of O-104a, so the following description could eventually be used to replace the Overton book description, or the state might end up being called O-104b. This happens to be one of the more important oversights in the new fourth edition by Don Parsley.

imageimage

Obverse: The die has been lapped so the ends of the drapery are missing, and there is a die crack from rim, to star 6, and on to Miss Liberty’s cheek.

Reverse: A crack shows from “STATES OF AMERICA” to rim right of lowest arrowhead. Another crack shows from rim between middle pair of olive leaves, across olive leaves, through left wing, and into the eagle’s head.
  • Photos of 1808 O-105, R3

This is one of the first Busties bought for my collection. I was never 100% happy with the coin because of the lighter toning and the presence of a few faint hairlines in front of the portrait. I therefore had "marked the coin" for upgrade as soon as I could.

Recently I thought I had found a buyer for this coin as well as a replacement coin. When I scanned this set piece so I could show the pictures to my potential buyer, I discovered the thin double profile at the portrait's neck.

I checked Souder's "Bust Half Fever" to see if the 1808 O-105 was listed as a die marriage known for a double profile. It was not.

The scans were then sent to Edgar Souders. He responded by telling me that this was the first and only 1808 he has seen with a double profile. He stated that any double profiled early Bustie would be quite rare.

...so now the coin is a keeper. I never did follow through with the purchase of the replacement coin.

• Photos of 1808 O-108, R3

Most of left base of the 1 is missing. 2 lower arrowheads joined.

Easy to attribute with the 2 tines protruding from the upper part of the scroll between the D and S. (May not be visable in this scan.)

This is the first use of reverse die H. The die was next used to strike O-109.

• Photos of 1808 O-108a, R3

Same as the O-108 except the reverse die H as started to crack. It is now named H-s2 in the Overton/Parsley books.

The die crack can be seen around the legend at the top.

• Photos of 1808 O-110, R5 ex Charleton Meyer collection

Not the prettiest Bustie but I am glad to have it. I finally found this coin last year to replace a dipped F-12 that I had had in my collection.

This coin is a keeper for me because of its provenance.

I can spot this die marriage easily because of the die crack running from the bust to star 1 and the neatly curved die crack under the M in AMERICA that arcs to the right edge of the scroll. In the later die state (O-110a) there is a die crack at Star 7.

The Peterson book mentions a diagnostic feather in the shape of a "V" to the right of the shield. Because of this coin's wear, I cannot see it.

• Photos 1808 O-110a, R4+

Same as the O-110 with additional die cracks.

The neatest die crack is the awesome looking one at Star 7.

Welcome edmerlr! What a great way to introduce yourself. You not only completed all the missing 1808 marriages, but also showed us the later die states.image

• Here is another 1808/7 O-101, R1

This coin has very unusual obverse toning and an absolutely gorgeous reverse.

It has been suggested to me to place the coin in a brown coin envelope. Then to place the envelope on a window ledge for a few months in order to try to even out the toning.

I view myself not as the owner of this coin, but as a Caretaker of this historical object for the next half a dozen years, or so. ...so, for now, I think I will let the coin's next Caretaker worry about the toning.

Does anybody have any comments and/or opinions?

Beautiful overdate, and soooo close to MS.image

I agree with those telling you to place this beauty into a paper coin envelope to let it tone for some time, maybe months, maybe years. I would be checking on the toning every month, and stopping the process when I think the time is right. It would be a shame to let this specimen get too dark. A quick acetone bath should be done to remove any oils prior to starting this envelope toning procedure. We don't want fingerprints on the final product.

Here is a flash dipped 1808/7 that could have been allowed to tone longer before PCGS encapsulated it. I chickened out early. The luster is strong for the grade.

Some diagnostics for 1808/7 O-101 R1:

imageimageimage

Obverse: Star 1 points to lower half of dentil. “8” is cut over “7”. Top of “B” is unfinished. A crack shows starting below the date, across end of bust, through first six left stars, and to forecurl. Many other cracks normally show.

Reverse: Below stripe 6, the feathers are not joined to the shield, causing a blank space. A centering dot shows in the field left of crossbar 2. “I” is midway between “T” and “E”.

• There are several gorgeous 1808 O-102a's posted on this site.

I thought somebody would be interested in seeing my 1808 O-102 Prime, R5.

Struck using obverse die 2 and reverse die B.

The quick identifier is the oval die dot at the juncture of the left wing and the shield.

Other identifiers for this die state is (1) most specimens have a die chip or break between the lower left wing and tail feathers, and (2) there is a fine die crack from the base of ITE to the scroll.

On the coin pictured the die break or chip below the left wing is quite obvious. The die crack only runs from the TE halfway to the scroll. I am not sure you will see this in the photo.

There are NO other obverse or reverse die cracks.

I have always been at odds on how to grade this coin. The coin is lightly toned, probably from a long ago very light dip. There are extremely faint hairlines in the field to the left of the portrait.

I have logged it into my collection as an EF-40.

I would welcome any opinons or comments. What are your thoughts? It is time to share. Please.

Ed, you are amazing. You have contributed more to this Capped Bust Half Dollar series in a few days than has been posted in the past few months.image

From your pictures, and your saying minor hairlines, lightly dipped, retoning, I see this coin as PCGS XF45. NGC/ANACS might even go AU50. Of course final decision can only be made with coin in hand.

Maybe others will suggest how they would grade this coin.
  • Re the 1808 O-102 Prime:

I forgot to mention: Darn little luster, if any.

<< <i>Re the 1808 O-102 Prime:

I forgot to mention: Darn little luster, if any. >>

So, maybe knock off 5 grading points. The detail is certainly sufficient for XF45.
  • Here is another 1808 O-104a, R5.

The diagnostics were described by Mozin earlier.

It is followed by photos of my 1808 O-104, R2. Unfortunately somebody recently (within the last 40 years?) put a thin scratch on the obverse. Total bummer !!

Photos of the 1808 O-104a, R5:

Photos of the 1808 O-104, R2:

Here is a die state we have not shown.

imageimage

Some diagnostics for 1808 O-106 R2:

imageimage

Obverse: Star 1 points to upper edge of dentil. Stars 5 & 6 are closer than stars 6 & 7. Date is high, and figures lean left. “1” is higher, and “18” is space wider than “808”.

imageimageimage

Reverse: A dot lies in the field where eagle’s left shoulder meets shield. “E” in “AMERICA” is recut at lower right serif, showing at right. Arrowheads are joined. Right sides of “I” and “T” are in line.
  • This is my 3rd CBH coin, I just bought it a few days ago. My oldest coin, with quite a die crack (and quite a rim ding at 2pm on the reverse, unfortunately). If someone would elaborate on what type it is, and what grade you would give it, I would appreciate it.

Edit for server location.
    Exclusively collecting Capped Bust Halves in VF to AU, especially rarity 3 and up.
    Joe G.
    Great BST purchases completed with commoncents123, p8nt, blu62vette and Stuart. Great coin swaps completed with rah1959, eyoung429 and Zug. Top-notch consignment experience with Russ.
  • jobiwan115, your coin appears to be an Overton 102a R2 coin in VG to Fine. Neat coin with all those die cracks!
  • FEVERFEVER Posts: 232
    edmerlr,

Beautiful 1808 and earlier/later die states you've been posting. When this many are displayed at once, it makes these very tough coins look like you can pick them up every day - which, of course, is impossible. For those just starting their Capped Bust Half dollar collections and viewing the posts, keep in mind, IT TAKES YEARS to locate and assemble pieces like this. Just keep in mind - these people are all NUTS with the "FEVER".

Folks like Mozin, edmerlr, JRocco and others get three cheers from me for taking the time to show their collections (and love for these early Federal coins) so everyone can enjoy them. Thanks guys!

Edgar

Another sleepless night! So, I might as well post some halves!

1808/7, O-101, R1

1808, O-102a, R2

Edgar

1808, O-107(a), R2

Edgar

1808, O-108(a), R4 - with beautiful clashes!

Edgar

• slumlord98slumlord98 Posts: 1,180
    Question for those who study and collect die states- when I collected this series, I looked for, but never found a 106 with no trace of obverse cracks. Also, I owned a 106 with a heavy crack from star 9(?) to bust. It was a low grade coin, VG-F, and was never able to find an upgrade. How many have seen/own an example of either?
    Slumlord98,

I have not seen examples of this marriage without any cracks, nor have I seen it with the break from star 9. When Edmerlr is back healthy, maybe he will join in with this question.

Nice to see you back on CU.
  • RotatedRainbowsRotatedRainbows Posts: 2,085 ✭✭

<< <i>1808, O-102a, R2

Edgar
    >>

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file