Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

How many Mickey Mantle cards do you own?

I have heard a few collectors say most great baseball card collections are incomplete without a few Mickey Mantle's. I don't agree with that, but I was just curious since his cards are usually one of the top 3 most valuable cards in any set. So, from the years 1951-1969, how many Mantle's do you own?

I have a PSA 5 1959, PSA 5 1959 A.S., PSA 6 1962 Mays & Mantle, PSA 6 1964, PSA 6 1967, PSA 6 1968 and PSA 6 1969. So, I own 5 regular issue, 1 A.S. and 1 Combo.

Comments

• Options
    I only have four, 1969 topps PSA 6, 1969 topps CL NMMT, 1968 topps superstars vg, and 1964 topps giants NM.
    My baseball and MMA articles-
    http://sportsfansnews.com/author/andy-fischer/

imagey
  • Options
    tennesseebankertennesseebanker Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭
    i've got a 56, 60,64,68

• Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've got a few.

Sure would like a 52 or 53T tho.

mike
    Mike
  • Options
    None but I am hoping to change that soon........
    "Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum"
    (If you want peace, prepare for War).........Semper Fi
  • Options
    not enough
    always looking for 1958 and 1959 topps baseball in psa 7 and 8
  • Options
    i had one (a 1964 Topps PSA 7), but sold it a month or so ago. I'm not a big mantle collector...so, the main card i would buy of mantle would be his 51 bowman.
  • Options
    Man, when I was a kid I used to DREAM about owning a real Mickey Mantle card! To say it was the holy grail is an understatment. Now that I'm an adult (HA!) I am blessed to own a few: '58 W.S. w/ Aaron, '60 A.S., '61 "Home Run" '62 A.S. '65 W.S., '68 and thanks to my lovely wife my only graded card to date, a '69 in PAS 6.

Would def like to add a few more in the future, ultimate would be the '56.
  • Options
    ummm probably 0, maybe some from a turn back the clock set or something. I guess I have some from Topps giveaway last year. Not a player collector.
    Running an Ebay store sure takes a lot more time than a person would think!
  • Options
    61-PSA 6, 62 PSA- 4, 68- PSA-6
  • Options
    zero
  • Options
    Piman58Piman58 Posts: 814 ✭✭
    I have a 64 Topps Giant PSA 7, an ungraded 69 from childhood (complete with circled stats in pencil), an ungraded 68 Topps Game,
    and a 2006 Topps Relic Bat #ed/87. There are also some 75 MVP cards and a few other modern inserts.
  • Options
    Downtown1974Downtown1974 Posts: 6,725 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    I have one in nice shape a PSA 8 1959 and 3 or 4 others...
  • Options
    julen23julen23 Posts: 4,558 ✭✭
    1969 only, but a beauty none the less!

julen
    RIP GURU
  • Options
    Got three. Every bb collection needs at least one Mick.
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    I have 5

1952 Bowman in ex

1953 Bowman color in Psa 5

1964 Topps giant in nmnt

1965 Topps in Psa 7

1969 WL in Psa 5

I also have secondary cards of his, like leader cards , 1967 checklist with his face on it, WS cards etc.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    RedHeart54RedHeart54 Posts: 2,271 ✭✭✭
    I have a PSA 8 Red Heart that I absolutely stole for $550. Besides that I have his most common (vintage) card: a 1958 Topps All-Star PSA 8. If it wasn't triple printed it'd probably be $500-$700+ easily.
  • Options
    Alfonz24Alfonz24 Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have 14 graded.

Alfonz24's Mickey Mantle

I also have a 2nd 56 Mick and doubles of some late 60s. I plan on Ebaying the doubles.

I got all these in the early 80s as a dealer near my college wanted some of my 78 and 79 sets. He didn't have the money and wanted to know if I would trade, so I said only for Mantles. Since about 1985 they have been sitting in my parents lockbox until I sent them into PSA for grades.
    #LetsGoSwitzerlandThe Man Who Does Not Read Has No Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read. The biggest obstacle to progress is a habit of “buying what we want and begging for what we need.”You get the Freedom you fight for and get the Oppression you deserve.
  • Options
    One thing about the Mick, his cards almost always sell over book. And if the are PQ for the grade add on a lil more.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    AkbarCloneAkbarClone Posts: 2,476 ✭✭✭
    I have 8 different Mantle cards from 1958-1969, but they are all highlight, all-star, league leader or checklist cards.
    I collect Vintage Cards, Commemorative Sets, and way too many vintage and modern player collections in Baseball (180 players), Football (175 players), and Basketball (87 players). Also have a Dallas Cowboy team collection.
  • Options
    I've owned 1 Mantle in my life....a '64 Topps Giant in about Ex, Ex mint. I got it back in the early 90's and thought it was pretty cool.

• Options
    ajwajw Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭
    21 posts and ONE scan.

You should all be ashamed of yourselves.
  • Options
    stownstown Posts: 11,321 ✭✭✭

<< <i>21 posts and ONE scan.

You should all be ashamed of yourselves. >>

I've got one or two around somewhere but nothing to brag about image
    So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts
  • Options
    I was thinking the same thing.

The best I can do:

NewJerseyMeatHook II
  • Options
    Only one, a 1961 Topps (PSA 1). I got the card as a freshman in HS and the card has always had special meaning.
  • Options
    stownstown Posts: 11,321 ✭✭✭

Like I said, nothing to brag about image
    So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts
  • Options
    Oh yeah i forgot about the 61 mantle's that i have. I have the full set. In ex mnt.....................hmmm
    so add 5 more? player, 2 lg leader, MVP and allstar?

here is another for the eyes:image

Steve image

Good for you.
  • Options
    originalisbestoriginalisbest Posts: 5,915 ✭✭✭✭
    All Mick's are nice!

Winpitcher, love that '53 Bowman. Don't have one, but hope to one day.

My Micks are as follows, all regular issues:

1953 Topps VG/EX, 1956 VG+, 1957 VG/EX, 1958 VG/EX, 1962 EX/MT, 1963 EX/MT, 1965 EX+, 1966 NM, and a '69 decal NM.

I hope to one day get '51B - '55B, and '59 - '61, '64, '67 - '69. Also, his '61 All-Star card is very appealing.

Only one that's not ultimately on the radar is the '52T. Alas! image Maybe some of the food issue ones too, etc. - one day. One Mick at a time!
  • Options
    Always thought it funny how that image is not only not correct for that game described; it looks as though Mick missed it... he always did swing big no matter what! Edit to attach a pic of my '53 Topps.
  • Options
    TJMACTJMAC Posts: 864 ✭✭
    Thanks for sharing guys. The next one I want to get is either 1963 or 1966 Topps. Probably in PSA 6. Though, I would settle for a nice 5 for the 1963.

My holy grail is a PSA 5 1952 Bowman. I think it is a great looking card. If I had the discpline to save the money to buy one, I would. However, there are so many other cards I want I end up blowing the money. Oh well, maybe some day.
  • Options
    Alfonz24Alfonz24 Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>21 posts and ONE scan.

You should all be ashamed of yourselves. >>

Mine are sitting in the PO waiting for pickup.

This is the only one I did not send in since it was trimmed.

#LetsGoSwitzerlandThe Man Who Does Not Read Has No Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read. The biggest obstacle to progress is a habit of “buying what we want and begging for what we need.”You get the Freedom you fight for and get the Oppression you deserve.
  • Options
    Ironically TJMAC, with your '64, 67, 68 and 69s of the Mick, you have ones I still need! We should combine our Mantle forces. image
  • Options
    BunkerBunker Posts: 3,926
    One a 1965 PSA 5

My daughter was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes at the age of 2 (2003). My son was diagnosed with Type 1 when he was 17 on December 31, 2009. We were stunned that another child of ours had been diagnosed. Please, if you don't have a favorite charity, consider giving to the JDRF (Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation)

JDRF Donation
  • Options
    lawnmowermanlawnmowerman Posts: 19,477 ✭✭✭✭
    He didnt wear number 22 and play football.

So, I'd have to go with 0 image
  • Options
    Well, he did play HS football, but I dunno what his number was then. image
  • Options
    You are correct original, Mick did not hit a homer on that pitch. the pitcher is not even the pitcher he hit it off of.

some more:

I had 2 of them, sold the better for a grand back in the day. 1986?

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    Sweet centering on the '52 Bowman. image Hey, help a guy out and see if you can get my '53 I added back a few posts to display in the window? I'm failing miserably in my efforts. image
  • Options
    mikeschmidtmikeschmidt Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭
    I sold my 1955 Bowman Mantle PSA 9 to Mantlefan and shipped it out this morning image

My other Mantle is the 1994 Upper Deck Mantle/Griffey autograph that I pulled from a pack
    I am actively buying MIKE SCHMIDT gem mint baseball cards. Also looking for any 19th century cabinets of Philadephia Nationals. Please PM with additional details.
  • Options
    marc your 55 bowman was second to none. It has a great new home.

original:

very nice!

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    Thanks Steve! Mike, knowing your '55 Bowman expertise, I can only imagine what that card looked like. Sorry you and it parted!
  • Options
    SidePocketSidePocket Posts: 2,901 ✭✭✭
    I don't own any - I'm waiting for the prices to drop...

"Molon Labe"

• Options
    I had the same problem sidepocket, but since I had little control over the spiraling prices of high grade Mantles, I've found a lot of satisfaction in getting lower-grade, but still eye-appealing ones. image
  • Options
    Winpitcher, the '61 All-Star you posted is one of the "non-regular" cards of the Mick I like a lot... for scarcity and visual appeal. Great card!
  • Options
    TJMACTJMAC Posts: 864 ✭✭
    Original, I would gladly join forces with you. I think I would be getting the better end of the deal.
  • Options
    SidePocketSidePocket Posts: 2,901 ✭✭✭
    I actually do have 4 Mantles, 2 62's, a 63, and a 64. But you'd cry if you saw their condition.

"Molon Labe"

• Options
    Winpitcher, the '61 All-Star you posted is one of the "non-regular" cards of the Mick I like a lot... for scarcity and visual appeal. Great card!

thanks, that card should be graded. one day i'll send it in. My set though is all raw.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    Thanks TJMAC. Seriously your cards (as PSA 6s) would be just about the grade I'd like to go for, so you and I have similar taste. May you find a '52 Topps of Mick in an old Library book, in a nicely centered EX. image

SidePocket, no need to cry - unless you can remember when they were new out of the pack, and you were the cause of their demise. image
  • Options
    Raw sets are cool - your whole '61 set must be great to look through! For my part, many sets in various stages of completion... no '61 (though it's a great set), but I do have a '62 going I add to every so often.
  • Options
    true psa 6's are like au 55 coins jon.

they were originally cards that would have been gem but 2 corners were touched. they are nicely centered, have great color etc.

avoid 6's that are in 6 holders because of centering issues. they are in 6 holders cuz they have 8 corners.

Steve

Good for you.
  • Options
    1420sports1420sports Posts: 3,473 ✭✭✭
    1957 PSA 7
    1958 PSA 5
    1958 AS PSA 7
    1964 PSA 5
    1967 PSA 7

collecting various PSA and SGC cards