Home Metal Detecting
Options

1943 Lincoln

found one that's got some rust on it.. I no you folks have great ways to clean up your finds. Any suggestions for my find?

Comments

• Options
    gene2393gene2393 Posts: 762 ✭✭✭
    stick in a potato for a few days......
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,214 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't know how much good the potato trick would do on a steel cent- that is for copper and bronze, really.

I would try naval jelly. It is a rust dissolver you can find at hardware stores and probably at places like Wal-Mart.

Did you dig this coin? I have never heard of anyone digging one, aside from somebody who found a buried roll of old cents with the paper wrapper long since rotted away. Inside the roll were a couple of steelies that had been semi-protected by their close contact with the other coins.

I have always wondered if these things rust away completely in the ground. I suppose not, but I also wonder how many are identifiable after being dug from the ground. Probably not too many.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    I thought I was the only one who enjoyed naval jelly. image
    imageimage
  • Options

<< <i>I don't know how much good the potato trick would do on a steel cent- that is for copper and bronze, really.

I would try naval jelly. It is a rust dissolver you can find at hardware stores and probably at places like Wal-Mart.

Did you dig this coin? I have never heard of anyone digging one, aside from somebody who found a buried roll of old cents with the paper wrapper long since rotted away. Inside the roll were a couple of steelies that had been semi-protected by their close contact with the other coins.

I have always wondered if these things rust away completely in the ground. I suppose not, but I also wonder how many are identifiable after being dug from the ground. Probably not too many. >>

I had found 4 last year....

Mini hoard

This is a very dumb ass thread. - Laura Sperber - Tuesday January 09, 2007 11:16 AM image

Hell, I don't need to exercise.....I get enough just pushing my luck.
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have never tried the olive oil soak on steel cents.... may not help, but cannot hurt.... Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,214 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I remember that hoard, now that you mention it, Earl.

I thought about that but for some reason, I remembered it as somebody's Wildcard find.

Man, you deserved all the "you sucks" you got for that one. Wow.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    coinnut86coinnut86 Posts: 1,592 ✭✭✭
    what do you think about vinegar?
  • Options

<< <i>what do you think about vinegar? >>

Excellent on a salad. image
    - -

Ask me no questions, I'll tell you no lies.
  • Options
    coinnut86coinnut86 Posts: 1,592 ✭✭✭
    I tried vinegar and Coke.. it well, needless to say, worked.

I suggest if anyone else tries this, even if it's completely rusted, only leave it for 2-3 days max... if you open the container up and there is oily type stuff on the top, you left it in there to long. Pull it out, give it a quick rinse under water, I used my thumb and gently rubbed the rest off... Mine, I left in to long and the actual metal was starting to get eaten away image