Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Baseball quotes...

What's your favorite baseball quote? Maybe it's from a player, fan, manager, owner. Whomever, just post it!!!
I'll start it off. My favorite is "It's a bee-utiful day for baseball!" - Harry Carrey

Comments

• This one is pretty hilarious, probably my most favorite:

"I never knowingly took it" - Barry Bonds
  • Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have tons but this one I heard in Pittsburgh in the 70s when they moved to 3 Rivers Stadium.

Their announcer was Bob Prince (hope I got his name right?)

They had artificial turf - so when someone got a hit down the line - he would say: "we got a bug loose on the rug."

And second - I believe Yogi is credited with - "It aint over till it's over."

mike
    Mike
  • ctsoxfanctsoxfan Posts: 6,246 ✭✭
    Baseball is the only field of endeavor where a man can succeed three times out of ten and be considered a good performer.

- Ted Williams
  • grote15grote15 Posts: 29,480 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Little roller up along first..............BEHIND THE BAG, IT GETS THROUGH BUCKNER, HERE COMES KNIGHT AND THE METS WIN IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • IronmanfanIronmanfan Posts: 5,424 ✭✭✭✭
    "The only thing Earl Weaver ever knew about pitching was that he couldn't hit it".....Jim Palmer
    Successful dealings with Wcsportscards94558, EagleEyeKid, SamsGirl214, Volver, DwayneDrain, Oaksey25, Griffins, Cardfan07, Etc.
    I can't remember the player who said it off the top of my head, but there was a baseball player who once said about playing in the All Star game:

"If I'm not starting I won't be departing"

Anyone know who that was?

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
    About Ted Williams:

"If he'd just tip his cap once, he could be elected Mayor of Boston in five minutes." - Eddie Collins

<< <i>I can't remember the player who said it off the top of my head, but there was a baseball player who once said about playing in the All Star game:

Anyone know who that was? >>

Garry Templeton
    Successful dealings with Wcsportscards94558, EagleEyeKid, SamsGirl214, Volver, DwayneDrain, Oaksey25, Griffins, Cardfan07, Etc.
    While we're on quotes - I like things that players say that sticks with them.

E.g. Yogi-isms.

1. Yogi is eating pizza with Mantle and Bauer one nite. It's after a game - they sit down and each one orders a pizza.

The waitress says to Yogi - "would ya like your pizza cut in 6 or 8 slices?" Yogi thinks for a second and replies..."better make it 6, I don't think I can eat 8." image

2. Yogi goes to a big formal Yankees function - he's wearing a summer white sport jacket and a woman comes up to him and says: "Yogi, you look very cool in that jacket tonite." Yogi looks back at the young lady and says: "You don't look so hot yourself." image

3. "90% of the game is half mental." image

4. "You can observe a lot by watching." image

I know he has more but can't remember - oh! That gives me a funny feeling - "It's like deja vu all over again." I believe he was credited with that one. And I think he said - "it aint over till the fat lady sings."

mike
    Mike
  • DeutscherGeistDeutscherGeist Posts: 2,990 ✭✭✭✭
    Yogi Berra regarding Don Mattingly:

"He always wanted to play, he never wanted to sit"
    "So many of our DREAMS at first seem impossible, then they seem improbable, and then, when we SUMMON THE WILL they soon become INEVITABLE "- Christopher Reeve

BST: Tennessebanker, Downtown1974, LarkinCollector, nendee
    << I can't remember the player who said it off the top of my head, but there was a baseball player who once said about playing in the All Star game:

Anyone know who that was? >>

Garry Templeton

Thanks Ironman!

Speaking of Yogi, I always loved this one:

"No one goes there anymore it's too crowded."

• lostdart58lostdart58 Posts: 2,938 ✭✭✭
    Harry Carey on Mookie Wilson: "If his last name was Kookie, his name would be "Mookie Kookie"
    Collector of:Baseball
    1955 Bowman Raw complete with 90% Ex-NR or better

Now seeking 1949 Eureka Sportstamps...NM condition
    Working on '78 Autographed set now 99.9% complete -
    Working on '89 Topps autoed set now complete

• Tedw9Tedw9 Posts: 1,424 ✭✭
    This is one of my favorite quotes, from one of my favorite players.

Bob Uecker said, "I signed with the Milwaukee Braves for three-thousand dollars. That bothered my dad at the time because he didn't have that kind of dough. But he eventually scraped it up."

Or for those of us who are a bit older, another famous Uecker quote.....

"Must be in the front row!"

And a few other Uecker gems....

"In 1962 I was named Minor League Player of the Year. It was my second season in the bigs."

"I set records that will never be equaled. In fact, I hope 90% of them don't even get printed."

"I knew when my career was over. In 1965 my baseball card came out with no picture."

One of my fondest memories of Carl Willey is the first time I asked him about playing with Uecker. We spent the next 15 mins. lauging so hard we were crying. Good times. image
    Looking for Carl Willey items.
    Yogi-isms:

"This is like deja vu all over again."

"You can observe a lot just by watching."

"He must have made that before he died." -- Referring to a Steve McQueen movie.

"I want to thank you for making this day necessary." -- On Yogi Berra Appreciation Day in St. Louis in 1947.

"I'd find the fellow who lost it, and, if he was poor, I'd return it." -- When asked what he would do if he found a million dollars.

"Think! How the hell are you gonna think and hit at the same time?"

"You've got to be very careful if you don't know where you're going, because you might not get there."

"I knew I was going to take the wrong train, so I left early."

"If you don't know where you are going, you will wind up somewhere else."

"If you can't imitate him, don't copy him."

"You better cut the pizza in four pieces because I'm not hungry enough to eat six."

"Baseball is 90% mental -- the other half is physical."

"It was impossible to get a conversation going; everybody was talking too much."

"Slump? I ain't in no slump. I just ain't hitting."

"A nickel isn't worth a dime today."

"Nobody goes there anymore; it's too crowded."

"It gets late early out there." -- Referring to the bad sun conditions in left field at the stadium.

"Glen Cove." -- Referring to Glenn Close on a movie review television show.

Once, Yogi's wife Carmen asked, "Yogi, you are from St. Louis, we live in New Jersey, and you played ball in New York. If you go before I do, where would you like me to have you buried?" Yogi replied, "Surprise me."

"Do you mean now?" -- When asked for the time.

"I take a two hour nap, from one o'clock to four."

"If you come to a fork in the road, take it."

"You give 100 percent in the first half of the game, and if that isn't enough in the second half you give what's left."

"90% of the putts that are short don't go in."

"I made a wrong mistake."

"Texas has a lot of electrical votes." -- During an election campaign, after George Bush stated that Texas was important to the election.

"Thanks, you don't look so hot yourself." -- After being told he looked cool.

"I always thought that record would stand until it was broken."

"Yeah, but we're making great time!" -- In reply to "Hey Yogi, I think we're lost."

"If the fans don't come out to the ball park, you can't stop them."

"Why buy good luggage? You only use it when you travel."

"It's never happened in the World Series competition, and it still hasn't."

"How long have you known me, Jack? And you still don't know how to spell my name." -- Upon receiving a check from Jack Buck made out to "bearer."

"I'd say he's done more than that." -- When asked if first baseman Don Mattingly had exceeded expectations for the current season.

"The other teams could make trouble for us if they win."

"He can run anytime he wants. I'm giving him the red light." -- On the acquisition of fleet Ricky Henderson.

"I never blame myself when I'm not hitting. I just blame the bat, and if it keeps up, I change bats. After all, if I know it isn't my fault that I'm not hitting, how can I get mad at myself?"

"It ain't the heat; it's the humility."

"The towels were so thick there I could hardly close my suitcase."

"You should always go to other people's funerals; otherwise, they won't come to yours."

"I didn't really say everything I said."

• PeetiePeetie Posts: 627 ✭✭
    Go crazy, folks.

-Jack Buck
  • lawnmowermanlawnmowerman Posts: 19,477 ✭✭✭✭
    ....and they give you cash, which is just as good as money

• Brian48Brian48 Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Wake up the damn Bambino and have me face him. Maybe I'll drill him in the *ss. >>

Pedro Martinez, circa 2003
  • Pitchers are the dumbest animals on the planet --Wade Boggs
    Next MONTH? So he's saying that if he wins, the best-case scenario is that he'll be paying for it two weeks after the auction ends?

Forget blocking him; find out where he lives and go punch him in the nuts. --WalterSobchak 9/12/12

Looking for Al Hrabosky and any OPC Dave Campbells (the ESPN guy)
  • Andy Van Slyke never got the notoriety for some of his quotes:

"Every season has its peaks and valleys. What you have to try to do is eliminate the Grand Canyon."

"I have an Alka Seltzer bat. You know, plop plop fizz fizz. When the pitcher sees me walking up there they say, 'Oh what a relief it is.'"

"If everyone were like him (Mitch Williams) I wouldn't play. I'd find a safer way to make a living."

"It seems like Satan has thrown the DH into our game."

"I've never even hit batting practice before a crowd (1,519 on 4-18-88) that small at Busch."

"Last year we had so many people coming in and out they didn't bother to sew their names on the backs of the uniforms. They just put them there with Velcro."

"My biggest problem in the big leagues is that I can't figure out how to spend forty-three dollars in meal money."

"They wanted me to play third like Brooks (Robinson) so I did play like Brooks - Mel Brooks."

"With the Cardinals everybody would be reading the business section to see what their stocks were doing. You get to this locker room (Pirates) in the morning and everybody is looking at the sports page to see if Hulk Hogan won."
    Next MONTH? So he's saying that if he wins, the best-case scenario is that he'll be paying for it two weeks after the auction ends?

Forget blocking him; find out where he lives and go punch him in the nuts. --WalterSobchak 9/12/12

• BunkerBunker Posts: 3,926
    Show me a guy whos afraid to look bad, and I'll show you a guy you can beat every time.
    -Lou Brock

Dont look back. Something might be gaining on you.
    -Satchel Paige

If you can't accept losing, you can't win.
    --Vince Lombardi

Winning is a habit. Unfortunately, so is losing.
    --Vince Lombardi

It took me seventeen years to get three thousand hits in baseball. I did it in one afternoon on the golf course.
    ~ Hank Aaron

Players win games, teams win championships.
    - Bill Taylor

Sure, luck means a lot in football. Not having a good quarterback is bad luck.
    - Don Schula, Miami Dolphins Football Coach, 1994

You gotta be a man to play baseball for a living, but you gotta have a lot of little boy in you, too.
    - Roy Campanella

We’re not giving away any football players who could hurt us later. I don’t mind people thinking I’m stupid, but I don’t want to give them any proof.
    - Bum Phillips, Houston Oilers coach

My daughter was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes at the age of 2 (2003). My son was diagnosed with Type 1 when he was 17 on December 31, 2009. We were stunned that another child of ours had been diagnosed. Please, if you don't have a favorite charity, consider giving to the JDRF (Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation)

JDRF Donation
  • gonzergonzer Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The new "Astroturf":
    When asked by a reporter which he preferred, grass or turf, Bill "Spaceman" Lee replied, "I don't know, I've never smoked turf".
    Same question posed to slugger Dick "Ritchie" Allen, his reply? "If a horse can't eat it, I ain't playin' on it"

<< <i>Pitchers are the dumbest animals on the planet --Wade Boggs >>

I believe this quote was originally attributed to Ted Williams
  • MorrellManMorrellMan Posts: 3,238 ✭✭✭
    Babe Ruth to the plate umpire, after taking a third consecutive called strike from Walter Johnson: "I didn't see that one either, but it sounded outside."

Who said this? "To understand the heart and soul of America, you have to know baseball."
    Mark (amerbbcards)

"All evil needs to triumph is for good men to do nothing."

• << <i>

I believe this quote was originally attributed to Ted Williams >>

You're probably right--I just remember seeing Boggs say that on 'This Week in Baseball' back in the 80's

<< <i>

<< <i>

I believe this quote was originally attributed to Ted Williams >>

You're probably right--I just remember seeing Boggs say that on 'This Week in Baseball' back in the 80's >>

He did say that. He was quoting Ted Williams, of whom Boggs was a religious disciple of.
    Another favorite of mine.

<< <i>Jason Kidd - "We're going to turn this team around 360 degrees." >>

• DarinDarin Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Honus Wagner to Ty Cobb: "Come on down"

After Cobb said "Look out you dirty Kraut, I'm coming down there. I'm going to cut you to pieces."

I believe this was in the 1909 WS, and Cobb then did try to steal second, and Wagner slapped a tag on him so hard it cut Cobb's lip.

After his playing days were over, Cobb said Honus Wagner was the only player he couldn't scare.
    DISCLAIMER FOR BASEBAL21
    In the course of every human endeavor since the dawn of time the risk of human error has always been a factor. Including but not limited to field goals, 4th down attempts, or multiple paragraph ramblings on a sports forum authored by someone who shall remain anonymous.

<< <i>Babe Ruth to the plate umpire, after taking a third consecutive called strike from Walter Johnson: "I didn't see that one either, but it sounded outside."

Who said this? "To understand the heart and soul of America, you have to know baseball." >>

I've heard the quote Mark but am clueless.

It sounds like something a politician would say - like the President of the US.

mike
    Mike

<< <i>

<< <i>

Who said this? "To understand the heart and soul of America, you have to know baseball." >>

mike >>

I believe it was a french writer/critic of some sort.

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

mike >>

I believe it was a french writer/critic of some sort. >>

Jacques Barzun

<< <i>Jacques Barzun >>

Who?

Mike
    World famous German soccer player and coach Juergen Klinsmann: (paraphrased)

"Rebuilding our team is characteristic of our national character since we had to rebuild our country twice after each World War"

not an exact quote, but the idea is the same. Very touchy and meaningful.

Classy HOF tennis player Stefan Edberg regarding accepting a finals victory due to a player not showing up:
    (paraphrased).

"I will wait for as long as it takes for Boris Becker to get here so I can have a fair chance at the title"

He was not going to accept a forefeit. What a class guy!

Famous Olympic skier Alberto Tomba of Italy after failing to win the gold and walking away with the silver medal:

"I always wanted one this color"

Alberto Tomba (after winning two Golds) regarding beautiful German figure skater Katarina Witt during her 1988 Olympic competition:

"If she doesn't win the gold, I can give her one of mine"

"So many of our DREAMS at first seem impossible, then they seem improbable, and then, when we SUMMON THE WILL they soon become INEVITABLE "- Christopher Reeve

• Carew29Carew29 Posts: 4,026 ✭✭

1) tell a ballplayer something a thousand times. Then tell him again, because that might be the time he'll understand something--"Paul Richards"

2) Baeball is like church. Many attend but few understand--"Wes Westrum"

My personal favorite

All ballplayers should quit when it starts to feel as if all of the baselines run uphill---"Babe Ruth"
  • bishopbishop Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Jacques Barzun >>

Who?

image >>

Writer, historian.

"It is designed to break your heart. The game begins in the Spring when everything else begins again, and blossoms in the summer, filling the afternoons and evenings, and then as soon as the chill rains come, it stops and leaves you to face the Fall alone"....Bart Giamatti regarding the Long Dark Tunnel of Winter
    Topps Baseball-1948, 1951 to 2017
    Bowman Baseball -1948-1955
    Fleer Baseball-1923, 1959-2007

Al
    This sounds right, if the source quoted it correctly:

Jacques Barzun said, "Whoever would understand the heart and mind of America had better learn baseball."
    Mark (amerbbcards)

• I believe Ernie Banks said "Lets play two".

"I'd watch a lot of baseball on radio"...Gerald Ford

"Hello Joe ?. It's me Frank. Giants 3, Dodgers nothing".....Rossevelt in Call to Stalin

"I never dreamed about being President, I wanted to be Willie Mays"....George W Bush

" A couple of years ago they told me I was too young to be President and you were too old to play baseball. But we fooled them and we are still fooling them. "...Kennedy to Musial at 62 All Star game

"Next to religion, baseball has furnished a greater impact on America than any other institution"....Herbert Hoover

"Our National Game'.....Andrew Johnson

"The game of baseball is a clean, staright game, and it summons to it's presence everyone who enjoys clean, staright athletics"....William Taft ( I know, I know.....)

Al
  • Here is some great Stengelese:

All right everyone, line up alphabetically according to your height

It's wonderful to meet so many friends that I didn't used to like.

The Yankees don't pay me to win every day, just two out of three.

They told me my services were no longer desired because they wanted to put in a youth program as an advance way of keeping the club going. I'll never make the mistake of being seventy again.

Been in this game one-hundred years, but I see new ways to lose 'em I never knew existed before.

Don't drink in the hotel bar, that's where I do my drinking.

Good pitching will always stop good hitting and vice-versa.

I feel greatly honored to have a ballpark named after me, especially since I've been thrown out of so many.

They say you can't do it, but sometimes it doesn't always work.

There comes a time in every man's life and I've had many of them…

Finding good players is easy. Getting them to play as a team is another story

The secret of managing is to keep the guys who hate you away from the guys who are undecided

The trouble is not that players have sex the night before a game. It's that they stay out all night looking for it.

I love the smell of commerce in the morning!
    - Jason Lee, "Mallrats"
  • "I know I can be a jerk sometimes but this is too much". Bill Ripken on 89 Fleer FF "prank". Last 2 words, not word for word as I dont have quote in front of me.
    imageimageimage
  • 1926 Hack Wilson Chicago Cubs

"How do I hit em? I just go up there with the intention of hitting the ball out of the park and SWING!"
    " I don't room with him; I room with his suitcase"....Big Bodie on his roomamate, Babe Ruth

Al
    " Mr Rickey had ball players and he had money and he said it was his policy not to mix the two"....Chuck Conners

"He was built along the lines of a beer keg, and not unfamiliar with it's contents....Shirley Povich on Hack Williams

Al
    I just thought of one after reading a quote by Hack Wilson.

"Stan the Man"

When a pitcher's throwing a spitball, don't worry and don't complain, just hit the dry side like I do."

Others have said this - I wonder who was funny enough to be the first?
    Mike
  • "Fleer faces are so red they can be seen from Bangor to Bakersfield." Beckett 4/89 on the Fleer FF messup. Hey!! Im from Bakersfield !!!image
    imageimageimage

<< <i>I just thought of one after reading a quote by Hack Wilson.

"Stan the Man"

When a pitcher's throwing a spitball, don't worry and don't complain, just hit the dry side like I do."

Others have said this - I wonder who was funny enough to be the first? >>

Stan had some great advice for hitters. He said if you wanted to hit the ball out of the park, make sure you hit the bottom half of the ball; if you wanted to scream one through a hole, hit the top part of the ball.
    Mark (amerbbcards)

And of course Casey Stengel on why he selected a catcher as his first draft choice for the new Mets team in 1962.
    "You're gonna have a lot of passed balls if you don't have a catcher."
    Mark (amerbbcards)

This is nice and all, but shouldn't we be quoting the likes of Nietsche, Hegel, Aristotle, Socrates or Kant so we can sound like the sophisticated men we are?

NAHHHHHHHH!

We know that Olerud played for the Blue Jays with Rickey Henderson and then later on with the Mariners. Henderson eventually joined the Mariners and naturally was curious about his teammates. He asked Olerud why he wore a batting helmet when playing defense. Olerud, the nice guy he is, replied it was to protect his head after undergoing surgery for a brain aneurysm. To which Rickey replied (paraphrased):

"Damn, I played with a guy like that on the Blue Jays"

• Staying on Rickey Henderson:

"It gave me no chance. He (Nolan Ryan) just blew it (strikeout #5,000) by me. But its an honor. I'll have another paragraph in all the baseball books. I'm already in the books three or four times."

"Lou Brock was a great base stealer but today I am the greatest."

• How about some Mickey Mantle:

"I don't care who you are, you hear those boos."

"If I had played my career hitting singles like Pete (Rose), I'd wear a dress."

"If I knew I'd live this long, I would have taken better care of myself."

"I hated to bat against (Don) Drysdale. After he hit you he'd come around, look at the bruise on your arm and say, 'Do you want me to sign it?'"

• ArchStantonArchStanton Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭
    "They used to say, 'If we find a good black player, we'll sign him.' They was lying." - Cool Papa Bell

"Once he [Cool Papa Bell] hit a line drive right past my ear. I turned around and saw the ball hit his ass sliding into second." - Satchel Paige
    Collector of 1976 Topps baseball for some stupid reason.
    Collector of Pittsburgh Pirates cards for a slightly less stupid reason.
    My Pirates Collection