Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Much Like a Soap Bubble - Our Collecting Passions and an Interesting Question.

We all collect something, be it coins, friends, knowledge. In this online community in particular, it is what brings us together, and our passions for what we collect undoubtably create boundaries between us as collectors. The differences in opinion of what is nice and what isn't and the bickering over moderns vs. classics basically boil down to the fact that we are inspired by what we collect and wish to encourage others to enjoy in what we have found to enjoy ourselves. The absence of altercations and disagreements equates to the absence of passion.

What we do is so small in regards to the entire scheme of things that simply collecting little round disks may seem laughable to most but is it not what we feel is a part of us?

It is human life. We are blown upon the world; we float buoyantly upon the summer air a little while, complacently showing off our grace of form and our dainty iridescent colors; then we vanish with a little puff, leaving nothing behind but a memory--and sometimes not even that. I suppose that at those solemn times when we wake in the deeps of the night and reflect, there is not one of us who is not willing to confess that he is really only a soap-bubble, and as little worth the making. - Mark Twain's Own Autobiography (North American Review, May 3, 1907)

Much like a soap bubble, nothing lasts forever, not even coins. While there are coins in superb condition from hundreds and thousands of years ago, they are only a tiny part of a miniscule blink in the history of this beautiful world. Again, much like a soap bubble, not even Earth will last forever. The astrological body which gave us life on this planet will eventually grow into a Red Giant millions of years from now and engulf our beautiful world and everything that was preserved within. Much like a soap bubble.

Now, a question for us collectors who have the pleasure of enjoying these historical and beautiful works of round metallic art.

I wonder how much it would take to buy a soap-bubble, if there was only one in the world? - Mark Twain
Brandon Kelley - ANA - 972.746.9193 - http://www.bestofyesterdaycollectibles.com

Comments

• Options
    geez Brandon did you hit the bong today?

• Options
    ziggy29ziggy29 Posts: 18,668 ✭✭✭

<< <i>The differences in opinion of what is nice and what isn't and the bickering over moderns vs. classics basically boil down to the fact that we are inspired by what we collect and wish to encourage others to enjoy in what we have found to enjoy ourselves. >>

Actually, the last thing I want to do is increase demand for the stuff I'm collecting.
  • Options
    FinallyHereFinallyHere Posts: 822 ✭✭✭
    geez Brandon did you hit the bong today?

J. B. - this almost made me spit coffee all over my keyboard!!! image
    Mike Printz
    Harlan J. Berk, Ltd.
    https://hjbltd.com/#!/department/us-coins
  • Options
    Moose1913Moose1913 Posts: 401 ✭✭✭
    <<Much like a soap bubble, nothing lasts forever, not even coins. While there are coins in superb condition from hundreds and thousands of years ago, they are only a tiny part of a miniscule blink in the history of this beautiful world. Again, much like a soap bubble, not even Earth will last forever. The astrological body which gave us life on this planet will eventually grow into a Red Giant millions of years from now and engulf our beautiful world and everything that was preserved within. Much like a soap bubble.>>

Whenever I "sweat the small stuff" I think about this. It really helps put things back in perspective.
    I pick things up
    I am a collector
    And things, well things
    They tend to accumulate
  • Options

<< <i>geez Brandon did you hit the bong today? >>

More like a hit of orange sunshine. image

He's probably contempating his navel, 'bout now. image

FULL Heads RULE!
  • Options

<< <i>geez Brandon did you hit the bong today?

J. B. - this almost made me spit coffee all over my keyboard!!! image >>

• Options
    MadMartyMadMarty Posts: 16,697 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>geez Brandon did you hit the bong today?

J. B. - this almost made me spit coffee all over my keyboard!!! image >>

image >>

Yuk yuk!!! Joe Dirt made a funny!!!
    It is not exactly cheating, I prefer to consider it creative problem solving!!!

• Options
    So, our coins are really pointless then?

Just bits of cosmic debris temporarily held into a form we find useful and pleasing... but ultimately doomed to resume their travels through the cosmos as gasses and bits of ore trapped in the flotsam of our doomed planet.

Now I'm sort of depressed.
  • Options
    CoxeCoxe Posts: 11,139

<< <i>geez Brandon did you hit the bong today? >>

Yeah, that boy is all hopped up on the weed. Have mercy!
    Select Rarities -- DMPLs and VAMs
    NSDR - Life Member
    SSDC - Life Member
    ANA - Pay As I Go Member
  • Options
    JulioJulio Posts: 2,501
    HMMM. I thought it was a great post. Don't know about the bong, but should that be the case he needs to share. image. jws
  • Options
    mgoodm3mgoodm3 Posts: 17,497 ✭✭✭
    Now you tell me that earth will be swallowed by a red giant, that really makes me happy.

coinimaging.com/my photography articles Check out the new macro lens testing section
  • Options
    poorguypoorguy Posts: 4,317

<< <i>So, our coins are really pointless then?

Just bits of cosmic debris temporarily held into a form we find useful and pleasing... but ultimately doomed to resume their travels through the cosmos as gasses and bits of ore trapped in the flotsam of our doomed planet.

Now I'm sort of depressed. >>

Actually, it was meant to put everything you hold dear into perspective and to help you realize that time is fleeting yet relative to the viewpoint.
    Brandon Kelley - ANA - 972.746.9193 - http://www.bestofyesterdaycollectibles.com
  • Options
    kiyotekiyote Posts: 5,568 ✭✭✭✭✭

You're not the only one... Everything I do seems moot now. No one cares about my blog. Work? Work, who am I really helping at work? Anyone?
    "I'll split the atom! I am the fifth dimension! I am the eighth wonder of the world!" -Gef the talking mongoose.
  • Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,353 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's easy to lose sight of the big picture. But before you get too depressed
    you should consider that were there only one soap bubble it would be held
    dear if only briefly.

It's not only the immense size and eternity of the universe which should give
    us pause but the infinite number of perspectives one can get in it. There is
    the utter impossibility of ever knowing where we or it is headed. Usually even
    the easy questions like how we got here are answerable only by orthodoxy
    which is forever being amended.

The great pyramid builders, no doubt, had these thoughts in mind as they
    toiled at a monument which would remain and forever inspire people to reach
    just a little further. That they built these with primitive tools with methods as
    yet unknown only enhances their ability to inspire. There's an old Arab proverb:
    Man fears time, and time fears the pyramid."

If we maintain our perspective and try to see from other times and places it
    not only helps us to see our own but also teaches humility.

A little humility makes time much less frightening.
    Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    savoyspecialsavoyspecial Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭✭
    old thread revival -- why not?

www.brunkauctions.com

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    All is temporary..... most do not understand this basic fact. Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,858 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Rubbish:
    The secret of getting ahead is getting started.

Mark Twain

------------------------------------

The secret to getting ahead is getting a tail, Boo Boo. image
  • Options
    braddickbraddick Posts: 23,134 ✭✭✭✭✭
    "Giving up coin collecting is the easiest thing in the world. I know because I've done it thousands of times."

-Mark Twain

peacockcoins

• Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    not even Earth will last forever. The astrological body which gave us life on this planet will eventually grow into a Red Giant millions of years from now and engulf our beautiful world

Reminds me of the time I was in astronomy 101 class as a freshman, the professor was discussing the solar life cycle and the expectation that the Sun would expand and destroy the earth in 3 to 5 billion years.

this blonde UCLA coed raises her hand and asks in a concerned voice, "did you say million or billion??

"Billion"

[relieved]"WHEW!"

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options
    ctf_error_coinsctf_error_coins Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭✭

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file