Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

I'm taking the CPA Exam Tomorrow: Post a Coin You Bought While Procrastinating!

and cheer me up image

Comments

• Options
    LincolnCentManLincolnCentMan Posts: 5,347 ✭✭✭✭

Good luck with the test!

-David
  • Options
    LongacreLongacre Posts: 16,717 ✭✭✭
    That's an AWFUL exam. Much, much, much harder than the bar exam, in my opinion. And I am so old that I took it when it was 4 parts over three days, and you actually had to WRITE essays about accounting!!
    Always took candy from strangers
    Didn't wanna get me no trade
    Never want to be like papa
    Working for the boss every night and day
    --"Happy", by the Rolling Stones (1972)
  • Options
  • Options
    mirabelamirabela Posts: 4,964 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Basically, my entire participation in this hobby has occured while I should have been grading papers. I can think of very few exceptions to this statement. I would have to post my entire collection, or very nearly.
    mirabela
  • Options
  • Options
    123cents123cents Posts: 7,178 ✭✭✭
  • Options
  • Options

<< <i>Basically, my entire participation in this hobby has occured while I should have been grading papers. I can think of very few exceptions to this statement. I would have to post my entire collection, or very nearly. >>

Haha! looks like LincolnCentMan is posting his entire collection! Keep them coming...there's nothing worse than sitting here and memorizing segragation of duties funciton!
  • Options
    Haha! looks like LincolnCentMan is posting his entire collection!

Ha, I'd be here all night.... and most of tomorrow. lol

-David

• Options
    LeeGLeeG Posts: 12,162
    Wishing you well! Hope this one suits your fancy:

• Options
    TwincamTwincam Posts: 814 ✭✭

<< <i>And I am so old that I took it when it was 4 parts over three days, and you actually had to WRITE essays about accounting!! >>

Me too!

• Options
    Good Luck image

• Options
    lathmachlathmach Posts: 4,720
    Just keep saying, "debit is left, credit is right", and you'll pass the CPA exam with no problem, ChuckC.
    Then it's on to your MBA.

Ray
  • Options

Good Luck...image

My Ebay Auctions

Currently Listed: Nothing

Take Care, Dave
  • Options

<< <i>Just keep saying, "debit is left, credit is right", and you'll pass the CPA exam with no problem, ChuckC.
    Then it's on to your MBA.

Ray >>

I actually obtained my MBA first in order to qualify to sit for the CPA. Talk about procrastination...I had to write two papers a week!

Thanks for the encouragement everyone!
  • Options
    tyler267tyler267 Posts: 1,234 ✭✭✭✭
    Chuck,

Good Luck!!

• Options
    Good luck and let us know how you do.

Longacre, writing essays about accounting sounds like a great time. I can't believe that someone had to read all of those essays too.
  • Options
    Dennis88Dennis88 Posts: 5,797 ✭✭✭
    Could someone enlighten this to me? I'm studying accounting here, but have no idea if that's where you are talking about.....image

Bad, sign, I knowimage

Dennisimage
  • Options
    mgoodm3mgoodm3 Posts: 17,497 ✭✭✭
    Can't be a "certified" public accountant unless you pass the CPA. My wife passed it in 1989, very painful test.
    coinimaging.com/my photography articles Check out the new macro lens testing section
  • Options
    orevilleoreville Posts: 11,780 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sorry for a belated post of encouragement!

I took my CPA exam in Columbus, Ohio in November 1975. It was the worst experience in my life. I was so nervous. I was studying with a fellow who finished #1 in the state of Ohio and #3 in the country and of course, we did not know that at the time. He made me feel so inadequate without realizing since he was nervous about passing as well.

Back then in 1975, we took the CPA at the Ohio State Fairgrounds in the Cow Palace a HUGE barn with 1500 other CPA candidates all in one dimly lit room. The tables had holes in them that we had to fill in with pieces of paper and put scotch tape in them so that we did not accidentally poke holes in the test answer sheets on the multiple choice sections.

In that year, I had to fight 1500 other CPA and well as 300 Architect candidates at the cafeteria for food at lunchtime. I failed to get any food so I had to subsist on the candy bars I had at the time. It was a bad move. I had a sugar high, then low. I fell asleep right in the middle of the exam!

As a result I failed 2 of the four parts of the exams with a 60% each. The other two parts I scored in the 90% percentile.

I learned one thing! BRING YOUR OWN LUNCH!!!!!

I was so scarred from the experience of falling asleep in the exam that I waited TWO YEARS to take the exam again in November 1977 that I passed them easily!

In the meantime, I had completed my MBA at Case in Cleveland, Ohio and was already working full time.

The first person to call me to congratulate me on my passing my CPA exam was none other than Emory Mae Norweb! she found out even before my girlfriend (later my wife) found out!

A Collectors Universe poster since 1997!
  • Options
    ElcontadorElcontador Posts: 7,417 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you've adequately prepared, try to go in there with a good attitude. I have no idea what it's like to take the exam now. I took mine in Nov. of 1975 (got through three parts) and Nov. of 1976 (passed auditing) at the Long Beach Arena. Never been back there since.

2 1/2 days. Remember something that sounded like a gunshot when I was there. People were dropping their pencils, but I didn't care if the guy next to me got shot; I had to get this thing done.

It was fairly intense, but I was prepared & knew I would get through it. I had an advantage over some because I take tests well. Wouldn't want to go through that again; it was a mental version of a colonoscopy.

The key is to be adequately prepared, and focus. Best of luck to you.

"Vou invadir o Nordeste,
    "Seu cabra da peste,
    "Sou Mangueira......."
  • Options
    Chuck:

Any report on how the test went? I am not sure how many days it is now, but you might still be taking it today. Let us know and hope you did well!

And if you end up going to law school too, just remember that on a scale of 1-10 (with 10 being the hardest), the CPA exam is at least a 9.5, while the bar exam is around a 3 (and I took the NY bar, which is supposedly the hardest, but it was a joke in my opinion. I'm just average on standardized tests, but I dominate written tests). Let us know when you get the results!
  • Options
    TTT....taking another piece on Monday !!! image

BTW, I passed the piece that originally spurred this thread.

...now back to studying.
  • Options
    NumisOxideNumisOxide Posts: 10,989 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm majoring in business administration and I'm currently taking accounting 1 and next semester accounting 2.

Good luck with the exam!
  • Options
    LeeGLeeG Posts: 12,162

<< <i>TTT....taking another piece on Monday !!! image

BTW, I passed the piece that originally spurred this thread. >>

image and "Good Luck" on Monday!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Options
    CgbCgb Posts: 710

<< <i>That's an AWFUL exam. Much, much, much harder than the bar exam, in my opinion. And I am so old that I took it when it was 4 parts over three days, and you actually had to WRITE essays about accounting!! >>

That gives me the willies just thinking about it...
  • Options
    Good luck!!
  • Options
    Just keep repeating, debit is left, credit is right.............
    and you'll do all right.

Ray
  • Options
    RWBRWB Posts: 8,082
    Had to write essays about accounting…

Heck, way back when a grad school friend (William Enron was his name, I think) took his CPA, he had to use Roman numerals! The test was so hard that no one had ever finished it and there was no complete set of answers. Three days and nights with no restroom breaks! Once time ran out, you had to take another test just to get to leave the room.

Somehow he passed, and the CPA Committee came to his apartment with a caldron of glowing embers and a branding iron. He told me later that he thought one nut still worked….

He said the whole experience was so bad that all he wanted to do was use his vast knowledge for evil. He formed an energy trading company to rip off everyone he could find. Wonder whatever happened to him?

The Music Exam was even worse – they didn’t drop the needle on a record them make you tell what music was played – nope, they waived the needle over the record then made you transcribe the piece and write and essay on how it would soothe the psyche of angry accountants and lawyers.
  • Options
    I will be leaving the end of Jan. to fly to Manila to accompany my wife back here.....assuming the interview is approved. She's a CPA there and you CPAs would not believe her salary. She's planning on working in accounting here, and we haven't decided if it will be worth the time and money for her to get her CPA here since she will only be working 10-15 more years. I didn't go over and get a child bride.....LOL.

• Options
    fcloudfcloud Posts: 12,133 ✭✭✭✭
    My daughter-in-law is taking her final one very soon. Good luck to you and her.

President, Racine Numismatic Society 2013-2014; Variety Resource Dimes; See 6/8/12 CDN for my article on Winged Liberty Dimes; Ebay

• Options
    Taking a third part tomorrow guys. Wish me luck!! By the way, I passed that section I took in November image

• Options
    yevrahyevrah Posts: 143 ✭✭
    Good luck! I myself was never good at tests.

yevrah/harvey

ebay ID: 78terp
    ANA # R-3143946

1899 Mint Set

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file