Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

~ Opinions on this Cuban? ~ New Pics Added ~ $ VALUE DETERMINED $

Scroll down to my fourth post to see the new pics.

What do you think this little puppy grades?

Edited to add: The thin red line near the top spur of the star is a piece of red lint that snuck into the photo.

Comments

Curmudgeon in waiting!
  • That's a Beauty !!! Agree MS64 due to the nice original surfaces..

I Love Cuban coins/currency of that era... Deffinately undervalued..

Once Castro dies I predict Cuban coinage will become H.O.T.

Btw, I'm working on a Cuban Gold Type Set..
  • CladiatorCladiator Posts: 17,919 ✭✭✭✭✭
    So at that grade level what's it worth? 'Bout five bucks or so?
  • My '05 Krause has it at $50 in UNC, $120 in BU. Yours looks BU from here. image
    Terry

eBay Store

DPOTD Jan 2005, Meet the Darksiders

<< <i>My '05 Krause has it at $50 in UNC, $120 in BU. Yours looks BU from here. image >>

Dayum! Not bad for a coin I didn't know I had. Was searching through an old box full of empty 2x2's so I could house the SA proofs you gave me Spin2K and this was in a 2x2 burried at the bottom. I vaguely (sp?) remember looking at some Cuban coinage at the Santa Clara show a couple years ago, might be from then. No idea how much I paid for it, probably $200 image
  • 291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,936 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dipped to death.
    All glory is fleeting.
  • SwampboySwampboy Posts: 12,880 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Dipped to death. >>

I respectfully beg to differ on that. While I know little to nothing about how to grade these coins I have learned how to spot a dipping from my experience in early U.S. Federal coinage. The coin shows none of the tell tale signs of a dipping. There are no buildups of tone or crust in the crevices of the devices that are almost always left behind after a dip. There are no pool or puddle spots on the coin. The luster is booming throughout the entire coin which, admittedly, my photos may not portray very well. The first photos in this thread didn't really show the true color of the coin as my lighting was off considerably. Below are pics I just took with 100% exact representation of what the coin looks like in hand as far as tone and color are concerned.

There is another thing that didn't show well on the first set of photos but you can see on the second set. There is a partial print on the obverse. Doesn't really bother me but I know for some this can be a turn off.

• 1960NYGiants1960NYGiants Posts: 3,451 ✭✭✭✭
    The print doesn't bother me either. I see a hit on the 2nd A of PATRIA and a rim nick at the O of CENTAVO. The color looks good.

I grade it imageimageimage
    Gene

Life member #369 of the Royal Canadian Numismatic Association
    Member of Canadian Association of Token Collectors

Collector of:
    Canadian coins and pre-confederation tokens
    Darkside proof/mint sets dated 1960
    My Ebay
    Yup the hit on the A is there for sure. The rim nick is just the plastic of the 2x2 screen distorting the light though.
  • MacCrimmonMacCrimmon Posts: 7,053 ✭✭✭
    This one landed $50 plus the 12% buyer's fee.

That streakiness is common to these Cuban nickels....at least I've only seen three for that period and they were all alloyed like that.
  • As I indicated earlier--I like this coin!
    Curmudgeon in waiting!
    Well folks I now know exactly what this coin is worth image Now I can finally pay off my house image

$16.06

Link to the closed auction