Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Sold coins I thought worthless for $61. please enlighten me

The wife picked these up at a fleamarket, paid a quarter each. I asked around, was told they were maybe worth a dollar each at best. I told her I didn't have any need for them so she put them on e-bay under her own ID. Auction ended at $61.00 What did we just sell? i'm in shock.
Thanks,
Jim
linky

Comments

• Options
    farthingfarthing Posts: 3,294 ✭✭✭
    1924 Denmark 2KR - From Krause - 18.50F 90.00VF 430.00XF 1600.00 UNC
    1925 Denmark 2KR - From Krause - 1.35F 9.40VF 27.50XF 90.00 UNC

3 common condition British pennies

The winner being the 1924 2KR!
    R.I.P. Wayne, Brad
    Collecting:
    Conder tokens
    19th & 20th Century coins from Great Britain and the Realm
  • Options

<< <i>... What did we just sell? ...
    linky >>

Thats's easy, a 1924 Danish 2 Kroner...

...and i've answered a few seconds too late. image

Jose
  • Options
    Not my area but the 1924 kroner looks like at least VF35. Buyer must be happy.
    Curmudgeon in waiting!
  • Options
    I'm starting to feel a little sick image
    Thanks guys,
    Jim
  • Options

<< <i>I'm starting to feel a little sick image
    Thanks guys,
    Jim >>

Don't beat yourself up-- Live and learn! If you intend to do this in the future you might want to invest in a Krause Catalog of World Coins 1900>. Or post pictures here--you got good info very quickly.

Bill
    Curmudgeon in waiting!
  • Options
    coinpicturescoinpictures Posts: 5,345 ✭✭✭
    I wouldn't feel sick. I think you did fine. I'm not sure you would have gotten a whole lot more for the 1924 2Kr, being that it's not an XF. You most likely would not get 100% of Krause.

Consider yourself lucky that you got MOST of the money out of the coin.

Don't forget: you can always ask here for Krause listings and values. People do it all the time.
  • Options
    farthingfarthing Posts: 3,294 ✭✭✭
    I think you got a reasonable price for the coins, especially considering that they were listed in Collection, Lots with no indication in the title of the contents.

I'm not convinced that a collector from Europe would grade the '24 as a full VF, at least from the picture, hard to tell the wear on the crown, and no picture of the obverse. The coin may well grade as a VF to US standards, but again, it's hard to tell from the picture.

The winner does not appear to sell on eBay so it looks like the coin will be settling into a collection. image
    R.I.P. Wayne, Brad
    Collecting:
    Conder tokens
    19th & 20th Century coins from Great Britain and the Realm
  • Options
    Let the wife start buying your coins for re-sale!! image
    Terry

eBay Store

DPOTD Jan 2005, Meet the Darksiders
  • Options

<< <i>Let the wife start buying your coins for re-sale!! image >>

Yup, that's all I need, bags of world coins. I have enough trouble with the US coins all over the house..lol
  • Options
    1960NYGiants1960NYGiants Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭✭

Thanks guys,
    Jim >>

Huh?
    Bought for $1.25 sold for $61 less eBay fees makes profit approx $59. Times 10 lots per day = $590 times 5 days = $2950 week times 50 weeks = $147,500. TAX FREE

Where is this fleamarket?
    Gene

Life member #369 of the Royal Canadian Numismatic Association
    Member of Canadian Association of Token Collectors

Collector of:
    Canadian coins and pre-confederation tokens
    Darkside proof/mint sets dated 1960
    My Ebay
  • Options

<< <i>

Thanks guys,
    Jim >>

Huh?
    Bought for $1.25 sold for $61 less eBay fees makes profit approx $59. Times 10 lots per day = $590 times 5 days = $2950 week times 50 weeks = $147,500. TAX FREE

Where is this fleamarket? >>

Wow, Thanks Gene. I'll show this to the wife. I've been jobless for 3 months, she keeps saying I need to find a real job. Ha, we'll show her, won't we Gene. Thanks bud!
    Jim
  • Options
    secondrepublicsecondrepublic Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>
    >>

>>

Tax free? image
    "Men who had never shown any ability to make or increase fortunes for themselves abounded in brilliant plans for creating and increasing wealth for the country at large." Fiat Money Inflation in France, Andrew Dickson White (1912)