Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

707 Sportscards

I know this is always a sensitive subject when 707 Sportscards overloads eBay with his stuff, and I know many of you hold Levi in high regard, but here's an example of what bugs me about his thousands of BIN's.

I'm always looking for Drysdale cards. There's a beautifully centered 68 Drysdale PSA 8 that sold for less than $18 a couple weeks ago.

Currently 707 has a BIN 68 Drysdale PSA 8, horribly centered in BOTH directions, for $45. You and I would NOT have gotten an 8 on this card. It is just plain ugly.

I'd post the images but don't know how (although I'd love to know!).

I appreciate the volume and selection of cards he makes available, but his prices have nothing to do with reality. Most of his cards are off center BUT without qualifiers and he makes absolutely no adjustment for it on his prices. I'm amazed that he sells thousands, or hundreds of thousands of dollars worth of cards. With a very small amount of patience you will beat both his prices AND the quality of cards easily. How does he sell so much???

Comments

• Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,521 ✭✭✭✭✭
    How does he sell so much???

Excellent customer service and patience. Levi will keep a card for years until he sells it at the price he wants. Sooner or later someone will pull the trigger on that card you or I will never give a second glance to.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    yankeeno7yankeeno7 Posts: 9,242 ✭✭✭
    Levi isnt the one who graded the Drysdale. If it's a straight 8 then it's a straight 8. He can put any price tag he wishes on the card. Maybe he will sell it, maybe he wont.

SMR is 35. As any other price guide, its just that, only a guide. Many cards sell for over SMR. The consumer has to be intelligent enough to make their own choices. Like the saying goes "Buy the card, not the holder".

Some of these guys get away with the higher price tags because of the reputation they have worked so hard on building over many years. How many thousands of dollars do you think he spends on advertising? Those costs must be covered.

By all means, if you can find a nicely centered PSA 8 Drysdale on ebay for 18 bucks, then more power to you. Maybe you are a smart shopper. Maybe you have more patience than the next guy.

I dont fault Levi for his prices because he sells lots of stuff. Obviously he knows what he is doing. Yeah, it really mucks up a lot of ebay searches. But his money is good money that he pays ebay to post.

Similar to Mike Wheat...I think he over grades and is waaaaay over priced, even more than Levi but if he makes the sales and is profitable, then he is obviously doing something right. Same goes for Dean's Cards.

This is America! Unless you can talk all buyers to not purchase from these guys (obviously not going to happen) then you may see them bring prices down to create cash flow.

I say all the more power to them. I would love to be as successful as Levi Bleam.
  • Options
    Carew29Carew29 Posts: 4,026 ✭✭

I haven't checked, but did they list the Rookie Carew in a 8 for $700 again?? Always good for a laugh.
  • Options
    Nope, but he's got a PSA 7 Carew rookie for $375 with bad centering in both directions up against 3 others at around $240!
  • Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I just like the name...

In fact, we named our first daughter - Levi Bleam.

Mike
  • Options
    Lothar52Lothar52 Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭
    he cant take them with him....more power to him if he wants to hold on to stuff and not retire on a beach....

loth
  • Options
    sagardsagard Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭
    As usual 707 is selling a bunch of cards. Over the last 12-18 months it seems like 98% of cards sell for less at Ebay auction than they would at a fixed price. Levi knows this.
  • Options
    MorgothMorgoth Posts: 3,950 ✭✭✭
    My only issue with Levi is he uses SMR to value your cards but doesn't do the same for his. Trying to trade with him is impossible. Another fun thing is he will always point out some flaw in a card to only give you 80% of SMR but if you try and do the same to his OC or Print dot covered cards he will get mad.
    Currently completing the following registry sets: Cardinal HOF's, 1961 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, 1972 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, 1980 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, Bill Mazeroski Master & Basic Sets, Roberto Clemente Master & Basic Sets, Willie Stargell Master & Basic Sets and Terry Bradshaw Basic Set
  • Options
    Another fun thing is he will always point out some flaw in a card to only give you 80% of SMR but if you try and do the same to his OC or Print dot covered cards he will get mad.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,725 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>My only issue with Levi is he uses SMR to value your cards but doesn't do the same for his. Trying to trade with him is impossible. Another fun thing is he will always point out some flaw in a card to only give you 80% of SMR but if you try and do the same to his OC or Print dot covered cards he will get mad. >>

And that is true of most cardshop owners, and most of them are worse than that. image
  • Options
    TJMACTJMAC Posts: 864 ✭✭
    If you don't want to view all the buy it now's just click on auctions. That is what I do. Most buy it now's are a waste of time.
  • Options
    thanks for the tip. Did not think to just by past those high BIN prices.
    succesful deals :richtree, Bosox1976, Bkritz, mknez, SOM, cardcounter2, ddfamf, cougar701, mrG, Griffins : thanks All

Go Phillies
  • Options
    I got my 1990 Topps NNOF PSA 8 of Frank Thomas for $450 delivered from Levi. image
  • Options
    StingrayStingray Posts: 8,843 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I got my 1990 Topps NNOF PSA 8 of Frank Thomas for $450 delivered from Levi. image >>

• Options
    MeferMefer Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭
    I don't know why there is so much anger over 707 everytime eBay has special pricing. I have bought some cards from 707 on eBay (some PSA 7 and 8s that I had trouble finding for my 71 Topps baseball set) and the customer service was just fine. Sure, he has some high priced cards I will never touch nor buy (i.e., 71 Topps Aaron PSA 8 at 400 or 425, some ridiculous amount) but I am not losing any sleep over it. Personally, I like it when he and other sellers put a bunch of stuff up on eBay because it is more to look at. The more cards I can look at, the more fun it is. The bigger card show I can have in my home office the better!
  • Options
    BunkerBunker Posts: 3,926

<< <i>As usual 707 is selling a bunch of cards. Over the last 12-18 months it seems like 98% of cards sell for less at Ebay auction than they would at a fixed price. Levi knows this. >>

I just checked the link you provided. He has sold 291 cards in the past 3 days...not to bad. I didn't add it up but it appears to be in the thousand's of dollars. Does he also operate a B&M?

My daughter was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes at the age of 2 (2003). My son was diagnosed with Type 1 when he was 17 on December 31, 2009. We were stunned that another child of ours had been diagnosed. Please, if you don't have a favorite charity, consider giving to the JDRF (Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation)

JDRF Donation
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    more power to him if he wants to hold on to stuff and not retire on a beach....

If Levi did not sell another card he could still retire to that beach.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options

707 Special: 300$

I got this one for 177.50$

707 Dy-No-Mite!! 400$

Mine was $218.50 - tho his is a bit better centered T/B.

I still like the name - tho my daughter doesn't like being called Levi all day long! image

Happy New Year
    mike
    Mike
  • Options
    nice finds/ prices.... image
    succesful deals :richtree, Bosox1976, Bkritz, mknez, SOM, cardcounter2, ddfamf, cougar701, mrG, Griffins : thanks All

Go Phillies
  • Options
    Levi Drysdale ($45):

ebay ($17.05):
    Looking for Jonny Gomes cards, especially Triple Threads and printing plates. Will consider all cards, though. Got something? Contact me at c_u_l_1@yahoo.com
  • Options
    Does anybody know a dealer, that will pay SMR? 707 will not.
  • Options

<< <i>Does anybody know a dealer, that will pay SMR? 707 will not. >>

Ov

What % did they quote you?

mike
    Mike
  • Options
    Stone, about 3 grand under book!
  • Options
    detroitfan2detroitfan2 Posts: 3,314 ✭✭✭✭
    I have no problem with 707.

There are 2 things I don't understand though:

(1) How does one list 22000 items on ebay in 1 day?

(2) Hundreds (perhaps a thousand or more?) of people buy from his 15 cent listings. I assume that some percentage of these people are knowledgable about sports cards. Yet they don't know that they can go to 707's web-site anytime and buy the exact card they just purchased for the exact price?
  • Options

<< <i>Stone, about 3 grand under book! >>

I can't get anything from that.

What was the % of the book vs. what they offered?

What was the book vs. the 3K under?

mike
    Mike
  • Options
    Stone, book is $32,000.00. do you think dealers are shutting down, becuase of ebay and auction houses? or are card collectors tried of being ripped off when they want to sell a high profile card? to a dealer. Or to many stories of a youg kid like me, not knowning what I had and dealer taking advantage?
  • Options
    Offering 29K on a card that books for 32K is not a shabby offer, IMO, but if you're looking to sell a card of that value, you ought to consign it to a major auction house. Of course, you then run the risk that the bidding will not reach the "book" value for any number of reasons. Levi's got to make a profit on the sale, too. After all, he is running a business.

• Options
    hdunkhdunk Posts: 76 ✭✭
    Some posters give examples of cards selling below SMR and dealers are ripping people off by not paying SMR?

Granted Pre-WWII and low pop cards are cards a dealer can pay SMR for, but for Topps & Bowman that are not low pop, how can a dealer pay SMR? Stock Topps & Bowman routinely sells for less than or at SMR on EBAY.

I assume the cards Overrated is selling is Pre-WWII, low pop or regionals?
  • Options
    I assume the cards Overrated is selling is Pre-WWII, low pop or regionals?

PSA 52 Mantle #311, I believe?

• Options
    Levi and Jim have always treated myself and my brother with nothing but class. We both traded for and bought '52 Topps Mantles from them at the Chicago National a couple years ago and they gave us Full trade value for the cards and felt then and still feel we were treated fantastic by them. Just my thoughts as I always like for people to hear both sides of the story and know that there are good/fair deals to be had with 707. And no I'm not on there payroll image I promise. You guys are without a doubt the best read for ANYONE looking for sound advice on anything dealing with sportscards. Keep up the great work here and I hope to get a little more active myself on here as time goes on.
  • Options

<< <i>Stone, book is $32,000.00. do you think dealers are shutting down, becuase of ebay and auction houses? or are card collectors tried of being ripped off when they want to sell a high profile card? to a dealer. Or to many stories of a youg kid like me, not knowning what I had and dealer taking advantage? >>

So he was 3K under on the 32K - or 10% - that's 90% book - that's pretty darn good IMO.

Of course - like I said - what book? You could sell them yourself and wind up grossing 50K - hypothetically.

mike
    Mike
  • Options
    So he was 3K under on the 32K - or 10% - that's 90% book - that's pretty darn good IMO.

I agree. 90% book is an excellent offer and percentage-wise probably higher than most other dealers would even offer. I think the only reason the offer is even that high is because Levi knows he has the clientele to purchase a card of that value. And honestly, how many dealers out there are even willing to offer as much as 29K for a card that books for 32K? Not many, I'd guess.

• Options
    jayhawkejayhawke Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭
    The old saying is that SMR is just a guide. If the card books for 32k and the current market value, as Stone stated, could be 50K, then it is a terrible offer.
  • Options
    The old saying is that SMR is just a guide. If the card books for 32k and the current market value, as Stone stated, could be 50K, then it is a terrible offer

Then why offer to sell it to Levi at "book" price? As I mentioned in a previous post, a card of this value ought to be consigned to a major auction house anyway, unless the seller believes the bidding may not exceed book value. If not, why not put it up for auction to make 50K then?

• Options
    RonBurgundyRonBurgundy Posts: 5,491 ✭✭✭
    I have no problem with him but laugh at his prices. I laugh harder at people who pay them.

Ron
    Ron Burgundy

Buying Vintage, all sports.
    Buying Woody Hayes, Les Horvath, Vic Janowicz, and Jesse Owens autographed items
  • Options
    jayhawkejayhawke Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Then why offer to sell it to Levi at "book" price? As I mentioned in a previous post, a card of this value ought to be consigned to a major auction house anyway, unless the seller believes the bidding may not exceed book value. If not, why not put it up for auction to make 50K then? >>

Maybe a collector who doesn't know that the current market value exceeds the SMR, is only looking for SMR. That collector perceives the card to be highly sought after , so they believe SMR is the market price.
  • Options
    Maybe a collector who doesn't know that the current market value exceeds the SMR, is only looking for SMR. That collector perceives the card to be highly sought after , so they believe SMR is the market price.

If overrated knows anything about any card, it's the 1952 Topps Mantle RC. image

• Options
    LVMM - thanks for posting the Drysdales. What a difference huh?

How do you post the scans from eBay?
  • Options

<< <i>I have no problem with him but laugh at his prices. I laugh harder at people who pay them.

Ron >>

I was a t a card show back in novemeber where a guy picked out cards that added up to 205$. He took out two hundreds and asked for 5 bucks off, Levi said No WAY! HA!
  • Options
    I was a t a card show back in novemeber where a guy picked out cards that added up to 205$. He took out two hundreds and asked for 5 bucks off, Levi said No WAY! HA!

Are you kidding? Wow! image Maybe he is a tightwad after all!

• Options
    shagrotn77shagrotn77 Posts: 5,567 ✭✭✭✭
    About 2 years ago, 707 listed a PSA 9 '66 Jenkins on their website for $1,250, which was, as you might imagine, EXTREMELY HIGH. After going back and forth with them on the phone, I finally decided to bite the bullet and make what was by all accounts an outrageous offer of $1,200 - and it was declined! This wasn't even a high-end 9. Anyway, about 4 or 5 months later I bought a 9 in Leland's auction for about $750. That was very rewarding! I really don't know how they ever sell anything.
    "My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. Our childhood was typical. Summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. When we were insolent we were placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds - pretty standard really."
  • Options

<< <i>LVMM - thanks for posting the Drysdales. What a difference huh?

How do you post the scans from eBay? >>

bb

Go to the pic - and Right click on it.

Go down to the Properties box and Click on it.

Go to the Address (URL) and Copy it.

Then come here and link it. I'm talking about the 4th icon from the left that looks like a picture frame.

Or if you don't want to bother with buttons - just put in [IMG ] URL address [/IMG] and it will appear in your post. I put a space after the first IMG or it was attempting to post a pic and you would see one of those boxes with the red X.

mike

Mike
  • Options
    MooseDogMooseDog Posts: 1,946 ✭✭✭

<< <i>(1) How does one list 22000 items on ebay in 1 day? >>

Not hard to do if you use a listing tool such as eBay's File Exchange...basically you can keep your inventory in Excel and you can upload thousands of listings with a couple of clicks of the mouse.
  • Options
    Levi's buying account on ebay is psaok. he normally purchases buy it now listings and is paying good money for the cards bought with this ebay id.
  • Options
    MorgothMorgoth Posts: 3,950 ✭✭✭
    One thing to remember also, Levi will pay huge money for cards he needs for his personal sets. He has a ton registered and is #1 in quite a few. He is more of a collector and selling is secondary as he really doesn't need the money. It is hard to deal with someone who doesn't care about money.
    Currently completing the following registry sets: Cardinal HOF's, 1961 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, 1972 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, 1980 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, Bill Mazeroski Master & Basic Sets, Roberto Clemente Master & Basic Sets, Willie Stargell Master & Basic Sets and Terry Bradshaw Basic Set
  • Options
    Thanks Stone! I would never have figured it out on my own - I know cuz I tried many times.
  • Options
    bri2327bri2327 Posts: 3,178 ✭✭
    Another bargain of his at $150

Mine...purchased on ebay for around $20

"The other teams could make trouble for us if they win."
    -- Yogi Berra

• Options
    tennesseebankertennesseebanker Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭
    Maybe he just does it for advertising

• Options
    Downtown1974Downtown1974 Posts: 6,722 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options