Home Metal Detecting

Shield shape pendant...fob??

Well it was a nice sunny 56 degree day here, so I took a couple hours to hunt along the river.
I dug a ton of trash , but found a keeper. (which happened to be the first signal I chose to dig)
You can't see it in the pic, but an old square nail came out of the hole with it.

It is a shield shaped fob..thingy. It has an eagle across the front with the name D.A. Johnstson (yes, I spelled it correctly) stamped into it.
Below the name it says Delaware , then Ohio below that at the bottom.
I need to give it a better cleaning to see if I can pick up the details better.
The reverse clearly says Patd. Dec 29, 1868.

I've researched the name locally but have come up empty handed so far.

Thanks for looking!

HH
Analog Rules! Knobs and Switches are cool!
imageimage

Comments

• DockwalliperDockwalliper Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭
    Maybe the engraver misspelled the name.

Ya never know.

• << <i>Maybe the engraver misspelled the name.

Ya never know. >>

Hadn't thought of that..I'll try to cross referance Johnston.
    Tho there are people named Johnstson in the world.image

I can't seem to find them connected with my town...yet.
    imageimage
  • Nice pics and find John.

Looks like an "ID tag"... I think I've seen others find "blank" examples (the area where the name is located is blank).

First thought was "oh, I hope it's a CW soldier's ID tag!"

Maybe someone else will have more info...

Next step you could pursue is the patent database, plug in that number, and see what comes up. I used it once a few years ago and it actually provided sketch drawings along with info. (been so long though that I don't know where that web site/link is located now) **oops- just noticed your find may not even have the patent number - does it under the dirt?**

cool find... let us know what you discover about it!

• << <i>**oops- just noticed your find may not even have the patent number - does it under the dirt?** >>

Can't tell Rick.
    I'm trying to decide how I want to clean it further.
    imageimage
  • Here's a similar ID tag found on an auction site...
    has the same patent date as yours and a lot of details about the owner:
    (hope you track down some info about the owner!)

HISTORIC AND IMPORTANT BATTLE OFLITTLE BIG HORN RELATED SOLDIERS IDENTITY TAG FROM WILLIAM O. TAYLOR
    This historic ID tag descended through the Taylor family from William O. Taylor. Taylor was with Major Marcus Reno’s force at the Little Big Horn, so this tag is one of the rare artifacts that were present at that historic battle. This tag was purchased as part of a large lot directly from the Taylor family around 1985 by Alexander Acevedo. The lot in question was a black tin box with various items used and collected by Taylor. It contained photographs, Indian artifacts, and a hand-written memoir by W. O. Taylor, which has since been published.The ID tag was among these historic items and acquired by the consignor from Acevedo prior to the remainder of the items being sold at Butterfield’s auction in California in 1995. Taylor enlisted in 1872 at the age of 17 and was assigned to Company M of the 7th Cavalry. In 1876 he was transferred to Company A, and this is when he bought his ID tag. His company was assigned to the command of Maj. Reno, and he managed to survive the heavy Sioux onslaught of the Little Big Horn battle. Taylor spent the next thirty-odd years writing about the events of those few days. This is a silver shield-shaped ID tag, 7/8" high x 7/8" wide with a spread winged American eagle on the front, over mounted by three ribbons which are stamped "W.O. Taylor / Co. A. 7. U.S. / Cav." on the front. The back has later engraving "J.H. Taylor / Orange, Mass" (for Taylor’s wife Jessie H. Taylor). Across the top of the obverse, as part of the stamping is "Pat. Dec. 29. 1868". It has a loop affixed to the top and is accompanied by a fine silver chain. This early identified tag is typical of those carried by military personnel from the Civil War onward. As noted above, William O. Taylor was with Reno at the Little Big Horn and rode in the charge with him and was later assigned to the burial detail of Custer's command. Sgt. John Ryan, whose Springfield appears as lot 1432 in this catalog, commanded the burial detail. Taylor and Ryan were purportedly friends after the war, and each gave talks on their experiences with Custer and the 7th Cavalry. Taylor wrote an account of the battle entitled "With Custer on the Little Big Horn". He wrote it over a period of about 30 years, finishing in about 1917, and died in 1923. Taylor never published his book and it was unknown until 1986 when it was found amongst his collection of artifacts, in the black tin box mentioned above, and later published. A copy of this interesting book accompanies this lot. This item is accompanied by a signed affidavit from Alexander Acevedo stating that he bought this item from the descendents of William O. Taylor. CONDITION: Very fine. Shows little wear on the front side and light wear on the backside. A rare and important artifact from the most famous of all Indian battles. Ex. Acevedo Collection. 4-53307 (40,000-60,000)

Auction site where this ID tag was up for sale
  • DockwalliperDockwalliper Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭
    Kool. So the metal is likely....nickel?

• << <i>Kool. So the metal is likely....nickel? >>

That was the first thing that entered my mind when I found it, cause of it's red hue.
    Looks just like the surface of my V nickel I found.

That's a really cool relic Rick!
    I wanted to goto the Historical society geaneology library but it's closed from November to March! image
    imageimage
  • Wow, that's a really neat find. Can't wait to see the cleaned version.
    I lust for silver.
    imageimageimageimage
  • That is so cool. Put in the relic catagory for December.

Gary
    imageimageimage
  • Man GR what an awesome find!!!

Ric way to come up with and I.D. on it too.

Hey GR have you tried looking into the Militia unit's in that area??
    I know California town's had Militia to help with Indian attack's and to also protect the people against bandit's.

HH,Tom
  • STONESTONE Posts: 15,275
    Really cool find Goldrush.
  • cool find bud!....you sure do dig up some neat stuff.....hh
    "see ya at the beach"
    imageimageimageimage
  • ZotZot Posts: 825 ✭✭✭
    Excellent find and great pictures GR!!
    Hum! That's an unusual name for sure, making it very interesting to research as there's a good chance of finding the exact person image

You may have looked through various online resources already... For example, ancestry.com is a good site with a search engine here.
    A nice compact bunch of records come up for Johnstson... Unfortunately most of these appear to require a subscription (the lock symbol ones), but on the search engine page they mention something about 14 day free trial for access to all the records. Maybe you could find a match there?

Minelab: GPX 5000, Excalibur II, Explorer SE. White's: MXT, PI Pro
  • That is an incredibly cool find! So the writing below the name should be the military outfit to which he was assigned? If you can figure out what that says then you can probably identify the individual and hopefuly discover his history. I wonder if the spot you detected is the spot where he was killed in battle, or perhaps it was in a house that burned down (leaving the nail next to it... and the tag does look like it could have been in a fire, and that might explain all the junk). Should be interesting to see what you can discover.
    Bob
  • lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,194 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Riccar's hunch is on the right track. It's an early "dog tag". The second line of text should be a military unit. (Edit: I didn't read the part where you said it had the town name on it. Maybe Tom's right- it could be some militia unit?). Too bad it's post-CW 'cause it would likely be worth big bux if it were, but even so, it is a worthy find.

Completely worthy of a

Maybe, just maybe, worthy of a

I would say it's a safe bet you have December's Relic category award sewn up, if somebody puts the Mighty Phut under house arrest, and maybe handcuffs Riccar and Zot, too.

Of course I plan a few outings but my topping that find is gonna be a longshot.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Thanks for all your great comments guys!
    From the time that I found this I never really got a sense it was military related.
    I'm leaning more towards like LM said a dog tag or local proprietor key fob even.
    I may be able to find out more at the local historical society which I joined. They have a geneology society as well and an excellent library.

Only problem is all those buildings are closed from November-March.
    Just the time I want to do all my research! image

HH
    imageimage

<< <i>I'm leaning more towards like LM said a dog tag or local proprietor key fob even >>

No, when I used the term "dog tag", I meant it in the military sense, not in the literal sense. I do think that is a military ID, albeit a privately-issued one that somebody bought, as they were in those days.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • imageimage
    imageimage

• <<if somebody puts the Mighty Phut under house arrest, and maybe handcuffs Riccar and Zot, too.>>

I don't think these will be necessary for me this month
    (been fighting sickness in my house and it may take me down for awhile).

OK Zot, I think these belong to you for the rest of the month image

Well, my visitor tonight (30AnvZ28) just came and dug something very nice here.

I think your fob is still safely in the lead, but he dug a really cool 1927 Brunswick, Ga Licensed Chauffer badge (#114). I will have to find out who was issued that badge. I'm envious- have never found one. And the earliest dog tag (I mean it literally this time, as in rabies vaccination tag) I have found was dated 1946.

I got doodley-squat, unless you count old fuses and .22 shells and stuff like that. But the good news is that the problem with my Sun-Ray probe that I told you about earlier has fixed itself and seems merely to have been an odd "hiccup" like I was hoping.

• << <i> But the good news is that the problem with my Sun-Ray probe that I told you about earlier has fixed itself and seems merely to have been an odd "hiccup" like I was hoping. >>

That's good to hear!
    imageimage
    Apparently that traffic island I took William to last night is a fertile training ground for newbie detectorists. That's twice I've gotten outdone on my own turf.

• ZotZot Posts: 825 ✭✭✭

<< <i>
    OK Zot, I think these belong to you for the rest of the month image

image >>

Nice try Rick! image
    Minelab: GPX 5000, Excalibur II, Explorer SE. White's: MXT, PI Pro
  • Neat find! You are a relic hound, GR. Always manage to find nice ol' stuff.
  • Glen
    Hey, welcome there, new member.

Interesting you chose to use your first post to bump up a seven-year-old thread.

It's a nice trip down memory lane, though. Funny, I was just wondering what John (goldrush00013) was up to, so that was a timely thread resurrection.

Is "ehcanuck" an old forum member under a new ID?

If so, welcome... back!

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Welcome aboard ehcanuck....Cheers, RickO