Home U.S. Coin Forum

Is this bust half AU ?? new pic

Comments

• I'd be inclined to say EF45--possibly 50 given the grade creep we've had lately.
    Curmudgeon in waiting!
  • Cam40Cam40 Posts: 8,146
    i could see where the owner or seller might say that
    but i too think its more ef than anything
  • BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,454 ✭✭✭✭✭
    at best XF-45 IMO
  • BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No, it's not.

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Cam40Cam40 Posts: 8,146
    ngc au50?
  • JRoccoJRocco Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You can't even see luster hiding on this one.
    Not even close to AU
    Some coins are just plain "Interesting"
  • rheddenrhedden Posts: 6,567 ✭✭✭✭✭
    EF-40. AU Busties have ample luster remaining in most cases, and less wear than that. That's just a typical EF, not even choice.
  • IT is NGC EF-45 The coin is darker in hand. I think I am going to have to get another light source. The halogens work fine on morgans, but washes out the darker coins.
  • mozinmozin Posts: 8,755 ✭✭✭
    I can believe that NGC gave this Bust Half Dollar XF45, but I certainly would not pay XF money for such a dark marked up coin. I think ANACS would have "detailed" this coin and given a VF net grade.
    I collect Capped Bust series by variety in PCGS AU/MS grades.
    Is there ANY luster on the coin?
    From the pics you can see where the luster us worn off/gone from the fields, luster needed for a 45 grade.
    I would not ever crack this one out of that slab---it will probable be entombed in that plastic forever.
  • The pictures do the coin an injustice. It has a decent luster with the color a dark steel grey. The halogens washed out the photos. I used color correction in photoshop and the results are not too much better
  • TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,793 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The highest points on the coin never show that much wear in AU grades. That should be your first indication from extra fine to about uncirculated grade, and as already mentioned... LUSTER !

I see an incredible difference in TPG's standards for grading coins in certain series. image
  • The last picture is close to what the coin looks like in hand. As you can see by the colors on the holder, it is a little darker in hand .
  • CladiatorCladiator Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like it. A nice XF coin with character to it.
  • mirabelamirabela Posts: 4,954 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you read the pic right, I believe there is in fact ample luster in the sheltered areas on that coin. Having said this, it is not AU. I am not fond of the big digs on the reverse fields, in particular. Nice enough coin in the low XF price range. Looks unmolested, I'll give it that.
    mirabela
  • Thanks everyone for your opinions. After reading them all I can make the determination that:
    1. It is maxed out at ef-45
    2. I payed too much at $200.00......
  • lkrarecoinslkrarecoins Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭
    I agree with the XF designation...i thought it had too much friction on Liberty's curls, as well as the upper feathers on the Eagle.

I have a lot of issues grading dark coins, so don't feel bad...I still like it a lot

In Loving Memory of my Dad......My best friend, My inspiration, and My Coin Collecting Partner

"La Vostra Nonna Ha Faccia Del Fungo"

• << <i>Thanks everyone for your opinions. After reading them all I can make the determination that:
    2. I payed too much at $200.00...... >>

For what it's worth, I just spent a little time with my Overton and as best I can tell your CBH looks like an O-113 R4. $200 isn't out of line for this variety in EF45. Ed Souders estimates $190 to $300 for this variety in EF.
    Curmudgeon in waiting!
  • too crusty to make the 50 grade.
  • TomBTomB Posts: 20,689 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No.
    Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• zap1111zap1111 Posts: 1,298 ✭✭
    I don't see it as an Overton 113 - looks to be O. 110, R.3 (missing the broken arrow shafts of the O. 113, date alignment is off and stars on left are drawn to the edge). I think the present grade is even a bit generous. It's still a bustie with great character, though!
    zap1111
    102 capped bust half dollars - 100 die marriages
    BHNC #198

<< <i>

<< <i>Thanks everyone for your opinions. After reading them all I can make the determination that:

For what it's worth, I just spent a little time with my Overton and as best I can tell your CBH looks like an O-113 R4. $200 isn't out of line for this variety in EF45. Ed Souders estimates $190 to $300 for this variety in EF. >>

Where does Souders give a value for the O-113 in 45??
    The above coin is not an O-113 which is also known as a Broken Arrow variety. Here is an O-113

• << <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>Thanks everyone for your opinions. After reading them all I can make the determination that:

For what it's worth, I just spent a little time with my Overton and as best I can tell your CBH looks like an O-113 R4. $200 isn't out of line for this variety in EF45. Ed Souders estimates $190 to $300 for this variety in EF. >>

Where does Souders give a value for the O-113 in 45??
    The above coin is not an O-113 which is also known as a Broken Arrow variety. Here is an O-113
    image >>

I was looking in his "Top 100 R4 and R5 Capped Bust Half Dollar Variety and Sub-Varieties" p.100 (he gives estimates in this guide). Regarding the broken arrows, Overton does indicate that arrow shafts "...arrow shafts MAY be weak or broken near right claw." As I said, it looks like a 113--so I'm wrong. Could also be a 110 which has the same reverse. What do you think it is?
    Curmudgeon in waiting!
    Hi Billboat,
    It does look to me like the O-110 (different die state of the same reverse)
    Thanks for the reference to Souders book. I mistakenly though the price was quoted from "Bust Half Fever"
    Thanks again.
  • lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,194 ✭✭✭✭✭
    NGC nailed the grade dead-on, in my opinion.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file