Home U.S. Coin Forum

Do the prominent numismatists in the field have a team that monitors these boards and a team to post

I noticed that occasionally some of the very prominent numismatists in the industry participate on these boards and even post responses and comments. For example, David Hall himself sometimes answers a thread or two. Even today, I noticed that Greg Rohan from Heritage posted a few times.

Does anyone know if these prominent numismatists and other leaders in the industry actually check these boards on a somewhat regular basis, or do they have a team of people whose sole job is to keep track of what is going on here (in order to keep tabs on the current buzz among the common folk)?

Also, do these leaders actually respond to the posts themselves, or do they dictate their responses to a secretary or assistant, who then logs into the system and types the response? Given the fast pace of the numismatic industry, I doubt that someone like Laura, David Hall, or Greg Rohan have time to actually type their own responses. Does anyone know for sure?
Always took candy from strangers
Didn't wanna get me no trade
Never want to be like papa
Working for the boss every night and day
--"Happy", by the Rolling Stones (1972)

Comments

• CladiatorCladiator Posts: 17,919 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ...bah...
  • sTONERsTONER Posts: 1,904 ✭✭✭
    wheres MBT ?????image
    toner loner
  • tradedollarnuttradedollarnut Posts: 20,146 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Laura types all her own responses .... and spell checks them, too! image
  • claychaserclaychaser Posts: 4,405 ✭✭✭✭
    I hear that Russ has this Laura Chick that does his posting for him!image

==Looking for pre WW2 Commems in PCGS Rattler holders, 1851-O Three Cent Silvers in all grades

Successful, problem free and pleasant transactions with: illini420, coinguy1, weather11am,wayneherndon,wondercoin,Topdollarpaid,Julian, bishdigg,seateddime, peicesofme,ajia,CoinRaritiesOnline,savoyspecial,Boom, TorinoCobra71, ModernCoinMart, WTCG, slinc, Patches, Gerard, pocketpiececommems, BigJohnD, RickMilauskas, mirabella, Smittys, LeeG, TomB, DeusExMachina, tydye
  • mgoodm3mgoodm3 Posts: 17,497 ✭✭✭
    My people are framing response to your query as we speak.
    coinimaging.com/my photography articles Check out the new macro lens testing section
  • robertprrobertpr Posts: 6,862 ✭✭✭
    Longacre strikes again! image
  • mirabelamirabela Posts: 4,964 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes. But I cannot reveal for whom I work.
    mirabela
  • Man! Here I go and compliment you on your Large Cent thread and you turn right around and stumble on the best kept secret in numismatics--The Coin Forum Secret Sentinel Society and its Overlords.
    Curmudgeon in waiting!
  • MisterBungleMisterBungle Posts: 2,308 ✭✭✭

> "Also, do these leaders actually respond to the posts themselves"
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Isn't it necessary for leaders to have followers??

~

"America suffers today from too much pluribus and not enough unum.".....Arthur Schlesinger Jr.

• CoxeCoxe Posts: 11,139
    I doubt it. The guys like Greg R, Paul Song, and HRH come on here because of their genuine interest in our community and to respond directly when they are made aware of a situation involving them. Perhaps they have readers looking for some things (one would think so in the case of HRH and he might be the reader himself), particularly considering legal issues like the one that precipitated in Florida a while ago. It's great that they do, regardless of motivations. It is also terrific that folks like Julian and Laura (not going to do a whole list here) show up pretty regularly so people at all levels of collecting and dealing can discuss issues with them on an equal footing. I really don't believe any serious manipulation is in the background.
    Select Rarities -- DMPLs and VAMs
    NSDR - Life Member
    SSDC - Life Member
    ANA - Pay As I Go Member

• << <i>wheres MBT ?????image >>

I'm right here.

I doubt many major dealers place much stock in these boards--the boards simply are not that important.

PCGS sponsors the boards, and HRH, Ron et al , lurk and contribute. Laura, Julian Mark are also here. Other major dealers probably don't give a hoot.

Nobody has a team that monitors these boards and a team to post responses except one-man bands and so-called eggsperts.
  • keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Do the prominent numismatists in the field have a team that monitors these boards and a team to post responses?
    Created On Thursday 30, November, 2006 2:14 PM by Longacre

you're kidding, right!!!
  • Well, let's answer the question with a question: Can you imagine a position in your life where your work or social status (time considerations notwithstanding) would make you not want to be here and posting? These movers and shakers are humans, too, people with jobs and hobbies and the desire to reach out to other people, especially within their area of interest. Unless you're a far-gone narcissist, no amount of success is going to change your basic makeup. There are regular posters here, I imagine, who of equal station in life to any prominent numismatist (one does not rise to prominence as a dealer, for instance, without having customers who could buy and sell them), and appear and post here just like they're normal human beings.

Which they are.
    Proudly upholding derelict standards for five decades.
  • CoxeCoxe Posts: 11,139
    To lighten it up a little, have we considered any numismatists suffering from multiple personality disorders as representing a team?
    Select Rarities -- DMPLs and VAMs
    NSDR - Life Member
    SSDC - Life Member
    ANA - Pay As I Go Member
  • cladkingcladking Posts: 28,329 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I noticed that occasionally some of the very prominent numismatists in the industry participate on these boards and even post responses and comments. For example, David Hall himself sometimes answers a thread or two. Even today, I noticed that Greg Rohan from Heritage posted a few times.

Does anyone know if these prominent numismatists and other leaders in the industry actually check these boards on a somewhat regular basis, or do they have a team of people whose sole job is to keep track of what is going on here (in order to keep tabs on the current buzz among the common folk)?

Also, do these leaders actually respond to the posts themselves, or do they dictate their responses to a secretary or assistant, who then logs into the system and types the response? Given the fast pace of the numismatic industry, I doubt that someone like Laura, David Hall, or Greg Rohan have time to actually type their own responses. Does anyone know for sure? >>

My team will call your team. image
    Tempus fugit.
  • RichieURichRichieURich Posts: 8,370 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>To lighten it up a little, have we considered any numismatists suffering from multiple personality disorders as representing a team? >>

imageimageimageimageimage

An authorized PCGS dealer, and a contributor to the Red Book.

• TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,832 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You rang ? image
  • RWBRWB Posts: 8,082

• ScarsdaleCoinScarsdaleCoin Posts: 5,186 ✭✭✭✭✭
    my people, have people, who then let me know when I should come along and post!

Jon Lerner - Scarsdale Coin - www.CoinHelp.com
  • CoinosaurusCoinosaurus Posts: 9,614 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Someone needs to tell RWB his monkey has once again escaped from the playpen image

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file