Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

Roosie Market Depressed?

I had recently posted some nice dimes on ebay and did not get very good response. image It seems like the roosie market (At least the silvers) is on a down slope. Does anyone else think this is so? In fact, I think the entire coin market seems to be slipping down.

Comments

• Options
    Doesnt surprise me at all. It is a modern., and that is always a risk with moderns......always.
    Today's mighty oak is just yesterday's nut that held its ground.
  • Options
    What did you have on ebay? Market is still hot for high end coins,
    for sure everything I am bidding on!!!
    Ron
  • Options
    onlyroosiesonlyroosies Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭✭
    I'm seeing weakness in the common FB dates and in all non-FB dates. Attractively toned and low pop
    FB Roosies are very strong. Ebay is a weak venue for selling PCGS FB Better date Roosies right now.
    Recently Teletrade has brought some strong prices for better date and key date FB silver Roosie. A
    couple of 55P 66FB Roosies recently sold on TT for $300+. It seems I always do better on ebay when
    I start an auction a $.99.

Nick
  • Options
    FairlanemanFairlaneman Posts: 10,408 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I do well when I start at 99 cents also. The last one sold for 99 cents....

Last night I had 6 roosevelts close on Ebay. Only one got any type of a bid. All were nicely toned coins with no bands. My conclusion is that my pictures must really stink.

I think I will just sock away the toned extras from now on.

Ken
  • Options
    It's not just Ebay ... a PCGS MS67 1953-S went for $18 on Teletrade the other nite. It was fugly, but still...
    "Wars are really ugly! They're dirty
    and they're cold.
    I don't want nobody to shoot me in the foxhole."
    Mary

Best Franklin Website
  • Options
    ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,542 ✭✭✭✭✭
    One of LeeG's 57 Roosies went for over $700 on eBay!!
  • Options
    "One of LeeG's 57 Roosies went for over $700 on eBay!! "

That coin was a 1957-D MS67FB pop 13. A better date and attractively toned.
    It sold for over price guide. Confirms what I stated above and I believe he
    started the auction at around $1. He had great pics too.

When I see a Roosie like this started low I'll be in there bidding.
    Qbert, put your 61P 66FB and 55P 66FB back up on ebay with
    a $.99 start and close up obverse & reverse pics and I'll be in there bidding...image

Nick
  • Options
    ColorfulcoinsColorfulcoins Posts: 3,361 ✭✭✭
    Point to keep in mind is seasonality - the market historically is slower between Thanksgiving and Xmas......will heat up again when FUN comes around in early January and the "season" starts again.

I agree 100% with onlyroosies statement, special coins are still bringing special prices - average coins and less than average coins are only getting weak bids........

As an example, I won 7x NGC MS67 silver Roosies on ebay last nite for an average cost of $19 each (price includes ship & ins). Dates were 51S, 53S, 56P, 56D, 57D, 58P, and 60P all in old holders. With NGC's submission fees and shipping charges, you can't even make them for that cheap.
    Craig
    If I had it my way, stupidity would be painful!
  • Options
    robertprrobertpr Posts: 6,862 ✭✭✭
    Point to keep in mind is seasonality - the market historically is slower between Thanksgiving and Xmas......will heat up again when FUN comes around in early January and the "season" starts again.

Verily, especially on eBay, and especially for common or low value coins.
  • Options
    LeeGLeeG Posts: 12,162

<< <i>"One of LeeG's 57 Roosies went for over $700 on eBay!! "

That coin was a 1957-D MS67FB pop 13. A better date and attractively toned.
    It sold for over price guide. Confirms what I stated above and I believe he
    started the auction at around $1. He had great pics too.

When I see a Roosie like this started low I'll be in there bidding.
    Qbert, put your 61P 66FB and 55P 66FB back up on ebay with
    a $.99 start and close up obverse & reverse pics and I'll be in there bidding...image

Nick >>

Sold 15 high grade/eye appealing coins on eBay the past ten day's. This is one of the few that did well. I expected it to though. I knew it'd be tough this time of year. But theres a rhyme to the reason. I'll be posting a super nice coin in a couple weeks.image I really don't like selling on eBay. Too many folks get a cut of my money.image
  • Options
    QBertQBert Posts: 311 ✭✭✭
    All,

Thanks for the replys, great advice. Sounds like I need to try again with a lower starting bid and wait till after the holiday season.

--Larry
  • Options
    QBertQBert Posts: 311 ✭✭✭

Ron,

To answer your question, I had a pcgs 1961 66FB and a 1955 66FB that did not receive any bids. I did sell a 61-D 66FB , a 52 66FB, and a 54 66FB. But I did not get a good price on any of them. Somebody made out pretty good. One person bought all three.

--Larry
  • Options
    Dan50Dan50 Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭
    Yes there have been some good deals for buyers on less than top pops of late. But the big boys still bring good money. Even they could do better if offered with payments, as Nick, Clackamus, and a few others are known to do. This makes for more competition from those of us who find it impossable to come across with big payments all in one lump sum. And for their kindness and understanding, I again thank each and every one of you. image
    Dan
  • Options
    CasabrownCasabrown Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭

Yes there have been some good deals for buyers on less than top pops of late. But the big boys still bring good money. Even they could do better if offered with payments, as Nick, Clackamus, and a few others are known to do. This makes for more competition from those of us who find it impossable to come across with big payments all in one lump sum. And for their kindness and understanding, I again thank each and every one of you.

-------------------------
    Dan

I agree with Dan with a loud AMEN!

Casabrown
  • Options
    Love a good dime thread especially when almost all the players chime in (where are you rainbowroosie?).
    Craig
  • Options
    StoogeStooge Posts: 4,649 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>But the big boys still bring good money. >>

It is a proven fact that when you get a big name selling on eBay, they draw the bidders simply because the offer "A solid decent coin with a solid transaction" When I have bought a coin from OnlyRoosies, Wondercoin, Datentype, CoinFame, etc... I have absolutely no worries as to when, how, why, who, where my coin is, simply because they give not good, but great quality. I would gladly pay above book for lets say a 1955-S MS66FB from OnlyRoosies, then say a guy on eBay that has a handle that says "Bobs-dimes" Nick has a great eye and thats what its about.

I started a bunch of Proof Dimes at $4.99 and let them ride. I do, but rarely ever start a coin with a high BIN price. Thats just me though. I did receive some incredible bids. on a few select dimes.

Later, Paul.

Later, Paul.
  • Options
    cupronikcupronik Posts: 773 ✭✭✭
    Isn't it disappointing when you put in a lot of effort, submit lots of coins to PCGS, pay lots of money
    in grading fees, and, finally, get a high-grade registry quality coin back only to find that those
    interested in the series are rather w-e-a-k when it comes to pricing?
  • Options

<< <i>Isn't it disappointing when you put in a lot of effort, submit lots of coins to PCGS, pay lots of money in grading fees, and, finally, get a high-grade registry quality coin back only to find that those interested in the series are rather w-e-a-k when it comes to pricing? >>

If you make such a coin for yourself, the thrill is still there, at least for myself. But if you are making it to sell, then half the work should go into knowing who wants/needs "said coin", and is willing to pay a fair price for it. This takes getting to know your fellow collectors within a certain registry series.
    Sometimes you go to them for a coin, sometimes they come to you.
    This seems to work well between us collectors, but don't put a lot of faith in the price guide. It can be low on a coins true value, but can often list coins at prices you will not find anyone willing to agree to.
    After all it's just a guide, and not written in stone.
    Dan
  • Options
    labloverlablover Posts: 3,603 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>almost all the players chime in (where are you rainbowroosie?). >>

Oh, that hurts! How about: where's Lablover?

I'd agree with Nick's take on this. Great coins will always find a buyer!

Timing also has an effect as does the coin quality (super toning, IMHO), especially in the more common dates. The .99 opening appears to generate some steam. I'll find this out soon enough as I am going to post a number of Roosies on eBay very soon. It will be my first attempt using my own user name. So, watch for jrg1152 to go live very, very soon.image

Here's an example of what may appear (forgive the shameless plug)
    "If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers
  • Options
    Isn't it disappointing when you put in a lot of effort, submit lots of coins to PCGS, pay lots of money
    in grading fees, and, finally, get a high-grade registry quality coin back only to find that those

You better know the pricing for a series before you commit to making coins for it. The Roosie series
    only gives 2 bonus points for the FB designation. A 64FB (I don't care what date it is) gets the same
    weight as an MS66 non-FB. Yes, the FB coin should get a premium over the non-FB coin. But, The premium
    goes down or may even be non existent if there are MS67 graded coins for the same date.
    This is the way of the Roosie series.

Roosie Collectors should take offence to the comment...only to find that those
    ...I have dealt with many of the
    Roosie collectors and they are anything but weak when the right coin comes along. Maybe your
    pricing expectations were a little high....
  • Options
    labloverlablover Posts: 3,603 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Again, Nick's correct! I've sold a few great Roosies for strong money, but I've bought many more than sold. I don't mind paying the piper if the right coin comes along I want.
    "If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers
  • Options
    p8ntp8nt Posts: 2,947 ✭✭✭
    I recently made a PCGS 1957 MS67FB coin and it sold for good money. The quality coins will always have a premium.
  • Options
    Actually my previous thread was based on my observations to the BST threads where I see a number of
    nice high-grade PCGS modern coins offered by various people who have to bump their threads because
    of no-takers. The prices are reasonable it seems but the coins languish. I personally don't publically offer
    any desirable high-grade PCGS modern coins on the BST because of this

My previous thread didn't pertain so much to Roosevelt Dimes, but instead PCGS high-grade CN clad issues
    (probably not the appropriate thread for this, however . . . . )

• Options
    Maybe someday this one will make it to ebay too......hey lablover, didn't mean to dis you, but where is rainbowroosie?.

Cupronik, given I'm currently trying to sell a coin just like you describe on the BST, I feel the pain!

Craig
  • Options
    I wish you good luck, Colorful. Perhaps, ebay will bring a satisfactory price. Yours is just one example
    of many that I refer to. I THINK there are PCGS forum members who are interested in buying desireable
    high-grade modern coins; at least, I read some of their threads. But when such coins are listed on the
    BST threads these members sit on their bums (and thumbs) and remain silent - maybe every ten minutes
    they change thumbs, I don't know.

On average, ebay seems to bring the best prices for PCGS modern coins.

How is the luck of others who list high-grade PCGS modern coins (including Roosies) for sale on the BST?
  • Options
    Well excuse me while I go wash my thumbs. image
    Dan
  • Options

<< <i>I recently made a PCGS 1957 MS67FB coin and it sold for good money. The quality coins will always have a premium. >>

p8nt, that about sums it up.
    Dan
  • Options
    rainbowroosierainbowroosie Posts: 4,874 ✭✭✭✭
    I can't remember the last time I bought a roosie for less than twice PCGS bid; usually I'm at four times plus...but, I'm also a little fussy....image

Who cares what brilliant roll coins sell for in over graded plastic? I'd pass on a PCGS 67 at $10 if it was a dog....of course, Nick would scoop it up, get a FT designation and make $200!!!!image

FUN is near; roosie guys bring your golf clubs!!!image
    "You keep your 1804 dollar and 1822 half eagle -- give me rainbow roosies in MS68."
    rainbowroosie April 1, 2003
  • Options
    StoogeStooge Posts: 4,649 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think that the Roosie Market is just fine, with the exception that some of the clad MS67FB's are very difficult to locate, and when they are being made, no-one is willing to shell out the money for them. Thats probably why no-one is making them anymore. It just not worth it.

What the Roosie Market needs is a REDESIGN!

If the Roosie Dime had been replaced by the Reagan Dime (Thankyou for not doing this) the Roosie Market would be on fire.

Later, Paul.

Later, Paul.
  • Options
    MistercoinmanMistercoinman Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭
    I agree with Paul, the Roosey market is fine. The middle of the road stuff is plentiful and does not bring the big numbers. If you have the low pop stuff you will have no problem selling it. I sold of some Roosies about a month ago and all sold above expectations. Fred
  • Options
    So Fred, tell us what you are working on now, your friends want to know. image
    Dan
  • Options
    michaelmichael Posts: 9,524 ✭✭
    I think the entire coin market seems to be slipping down.

myself i think not as pre 1866 scarce/low mintage/better date gold, silver and copper coins circ to mintstate to proof
    with great eye appeal and great history ie. colonials are currently in great demand
  • Options
    PQpeacePQpeace Posts: 4,799 ✭✭✭
    I have two ms68fb silvers for sale..and a 69fb clad , so I hope there is a market for them !
    Larry
    Larry Shapiro Rare Coins - LSRC
    POB 854
    Temecula CA 92593
    310-541-7222 office
    310-710-2869 cell
    www.LSRarecoins.com
    Larry@LSRarecoins.com

PCGS Las Vegas June 24-26
    Baltimore July 14-17
    Chicago August 11-15
  • Options
    Larry, Are they on your web site. I go there and I can't find any Roosies.

Nick
  • Options
    PQpeacePQpeace Posts: 4,799 ✭✭✭
    at pcgs now for photos..pickup tomorrow..

1946-s 68fb awesome color $5500.00 cost
    1951-s 68fb $5175 cost
    1959-d 67fb white
    1999-d ms69fb pop 3
    2001-s pr70dcam

These are all I have..
    pics tomorrow I hope,
    Larry

Larry Shapiro Rare Coins - LSRC
    POB 854
    Temecula CA 92593
    310-541-7222 office