Home Sports Talk
Options

Poll*: Is Poker a Sport?

stownstown Posts: 11,321 ✭✭✭
They show it on ESPN 20 out of 24 hours, so it has to be. Right?

* This poll has nothing to do with any particular thread which may, or may not, still be in existence on the Sports Talk Forum
So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts

Comments

• Options
    poker...???? I dont even know her!
  • Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,498 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

* This poll has nothing to do with any particular thread which may, or may not, still be in existence on the Sports Talk Forum >>

• Options
    BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,458 ✭✭✭✭✭
    is golf a sport?
  • Options
    goose3goose3 Posts: 11,471 ✭✭✭
    I fail to understand how anyone can actually sit and watch other people play poker.

No, it's not a sport.

If that's a sport then so is Rummy, Hearts, and "WAR".

oh, and Go Fish!
  • Options
    as much a sport as hockey, soccer and golf image
  • Options
    BoopottsBoopotts Posts: 6,784 ✭✭
    The rule is this: It's only a sport if you can pull your hamstring while doing it.

Poker, therefore, does not qualify.
  • Options

<< <i>The rule is this: It's only a sport if you can pull your hamstring while doing it.

Poker, therefore, does not qualify. >>

I always thought that if there is a possibility of you getting better the more intoxicated you get, then it's not a sport.

This includes, but not limited to: golf, bowling, pool, and darts image
    So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts
  • Options
    bri2327bri2327 Posts: 3,178 ✭✭
    Not only is it NOT a sport, but I think its a disgrace that ESPN and other channels show this crap 18 hrs a day.

95% of kids from the age of 10-18 are becoming habitual gamblers due to the constant promotion of poker on TV.

It really amazes me to talk to kids and see how addicted they have gotten by watching this stuff. Nearly all of the young people Ive spoken to the past couple of years play night and day, every day.

I wish ESPN would take some sort of responsibilty and realize what this is creating among American youth. It really has become a big problem and will only create a nation of gambling addicted adults in years to come.
    "The other teams could make trouble for us if they win."
    -- Yogi Berra

• Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,727 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>The rule is this: It's only a sport if you can pull your hamstring while doing it.

Poker, therefore, does not qualify. >>

Yea but I once got busted out in hold 'em on a 1% two outer, stood up, kicked the table and pulled my hamstring. image
  • Options

<< <i>Not only is it NOT a sport, but I think its a disgrace that ESPN and other channels show this crap 18 hrs a day.

95% of kids from the age of 10-18 are becoming habitual gamblers due to the constant promotion of poker on TV.

It really amazes me to talk to kids and see how addicted they have gotten by watching this stuff. Nearly all of the young people Ive spoken to the past couple of years play night and day, every day.

I wish ESPN would take some sort of responsibilty and realize what this is creating among American youth. It really has become a big problem and will only create a nation of gambling addicted adults in years to come. >>

Some well respected addiction counselors have stated that they expect gambling addiction to soon surpass all other addictions, including alcohol, as our nations #1 addiction problem. Shouldn't be a great surprise I guess considering things such as what ESPN is doing.

-
  • Options
    AxtellAxtell Posts: 10,037 ✭✭

<< <i>95% of kids from the age of 10-18 are becoming habitual gamblers due to the constant promotion of poker on TV. >>

Wow, this is an amazing statistic. Do you have any proof that backs up this fantastic claim?

But I don't buy for a second that kids are becoming addicted to gambling based on what they see on TV.

No, poker's not a sport. But then, tons of things that ESPN shows isn't a sport...however, ESPN does stand for 'Entertainment and Sports Programming Network', so them showing poker would qualify as 'entertainment'.

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>95% of kids from the age of 10-18 are becoming habitual gamblers due to the constant promotion of poker on TV. >>

Wow, this is an amazing statistic. Do you have any proof that backs up this fantastic claim?

But I don't buy for a second that kids are becoming addicted to gambling based on what they see on TV.

No, poker's not a sport. But then, tons of things that ESPN shows isn't a sport...however, ESPN does stand for 'Entertainment and Sports Programming Network', so them showing poker would qualify as 'entertainment'. >>

No I dont have any proof other than I have worked with, around, supervise and speak to dozens upon dozens of teenage boys on a daily basis, all of which play poker religiously. They play at work, at school, they get together on weeknights for hours, and it occupies their friday and saturday nights as well. Nearly all of the young adults I know live and breath poker, and all of them have admitted ESPN has played a huge role in their exposure to the activity.

These same young adults arent just playing for fun either. They are playing nightly for their paychecks. Many of them miss school work, excercise, family responsibilites, and other activities young people should be engaged in due to their growing obsession with playing poker.

This is not like it was when many of us were growing up 15, 20, or 30 yrs ago when we would play the occasional game amongst our otherwise balanced and healthy lives. For many teens today I know it has become an all encompassing event.

Whether you believe it or not, television exposure, and ESPN primarily have caused this vast increase in gambling among teens.

Dont believe me, get out in the community and speak to teens. Ask them how often they play, how much money they play for, what activities in their lives have been suffering due to the amount of poker playing, and so on.

If this is something you arent aware of already or find difficult to believe youll be in for an eye awakening once you see how much it has become an unhealthy staple in the diet of teenagers everywhere.

-- Yogi Berra

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

No, poker's not a sport. But then, tons of things that ESPN shows isn't a sport...however, ESPN does stand for 'Entertainment and Sports Programming Network', so them showing poker would qualify as 'entertainment'. >>

No I dont have any proof other than I have worked with, around, supervise and speak to dozens upon dozens of teenage boys on a daily basis, all of which play poker religiously. They play at work, at school, they get together on weeknights for hours, and it occupies their friday and saturday nights as well. Nearly all of the young adults I know live and breath poker, and all of them have admitted ESPN has played a huge role in their exposure to the activity.

These same young adults arent just playing for fun either. They are playing nightly for their paychecks. Many of them miss school work, excercise, family responsibilites, and other activities young people should be engaged in due to their growing obsession with playing poker.

This is not like it was when many of us were growing up 15, 20, or 30 yrs ago when we would play the occasional game amongst our otherwise balanced and healthy lives. For many teens today I know it has become an all encompassing event.

Whether you believe it or not, television exposure, and ESPN primarily have caused this vast increase in gambling among teens.

Dont believe me, get out in the community and speak to teens. Ask them how often they play, how much money they play for, what activities in their lives have been suffering due to the amount of poker playing, and so on.

If this is something you arent aware of already or find difficult to believe youll be in for an eye awakening once you see how much it has become an unhealthy staple in the diet of teenagers everywhere. >>

Great points. A number of months ago, a college student president from Lehigh University actually robbed a bank in order to get money to payoff gambling debts. This story is only the tip of the iceberg.

Whatever the exact percentage is...it's quite bad out there right now with young people and gambling addiction...and it's getting worse.

-
  • Options
    The story of someone committing robbery to pay off gambling debts, while a tragic story, is hardly unique.

Every day across this country, people commit robbery to pay off any number of addictions. Shall we stop allowing alcohol advertisements? What about halting the print ads of cigarettes in magazines? We better stop showing sexually provocative scenes, as it's going to lead to sex addiction!

You see where I'm going here? Just because it's in the media, doesn't increase the likelihood of people abusing it.

Let me ask you: if you had a kid, would you want him at home playing poker with his friends, or out all night running around doing god knows what, drinking god knows what, running over god knows who?

Kids are going to be kids, and they are going to reach out to new things. Some good, some bad, but that's growing up. The media has gotten parents (and people in general) so amped up about everything that's going to mess up their kids, no wonder people are so freaked out.

Whatever the newest fad has been, the general public has been screaming it's going to ruin the kids. Ask your folks to tell you about how their parents worried about rock n roll music, or any number of new fads that supposedly were going to ruin the youth of the country.

It just doesn't happen.
  • Options

<< <i>The story of someone committing robbery to pay off gambling debts, while a tragic story, is hardly unique.

Every day across this country, people commit robbery to pay off any number of addictions. Shall we stop allowing alcohol advertisements? What about halting the print ads of cigarettes in magazines? We better stop showing sexually provocative scenes, as it's going to lead to sex addiction!

You see where I'm going here? Just because it's in the media, doesn't increase the likelihood of people abusing it.

Let me ask you: if you had a kid, would you want him at home playing poker with his friends, or out all night running around doing god knows what, drinking god knows what, running over god knows who?

Kids are going to be kids, and they are going to reach out to new things. Some good, some bad, but that's growing up. The media has gotten parents (and people in general) so amped up about everything that's going to mess up their kids, no wonder people are so freaked out.

Whatever the newest fad has been, the general public has been screaming it's going to ruin the kids. Ask your folks to tell you about how their parents worried about rock n roll music, or any number of new fads that supposedly were going to ruin the youth of the country.

It just doesn't happen. >>

You're making a false distinction. The two choices aren't that it either ruins someone or it has no effect. It's entirely possible that something-- anything-- can have an adverse effect without actually ruining somebody.

And I do think you can construct an argument that rock and roll, on the balance, has been a negative force in our society. Alan Bloom makes such an argument in 'The Closing of the American Mind', which if you haven't read it is definitely worth the read.
  • Options
    Anyone who wants to argue that any art form has been a detrimental force in society is someone I wish to pay no mind to whatsoever.

And poker has been detrimental? Sure, to some. But how many others has it helped by keeping them home and not out raising hell, getting into trouble? You could argue that any and all activities could be detrimental, if not taken in moderation.

• Options

<< <i>Golf is a sport. Poker is not.

And no way are "95% of kids from the age of 10-18 are becoming habitual gamblers due to the constant promotion of poker on TV." 95% of kids are not habitual gamlers for any and all reasons. 95% of kids are not habitual gamblers period. I don't need to talk to guidance counselors or children or take some gallup poll to figure that out. I would bet my life in exchange for a mere C note that the number is no where near 50%. >>

Come on now....you missed Bri2327's basic point and you know that. Whatever the percentage is...it's bad, very bad out there right now. I could post the numbers but since the other poker thread got deleted, it's no sense doing so.

-
  • Options

<< <i>Golf is a sport. Poker is not.

And no way are "95% of kids from the age of 10-18 are becoming habitual gamblers due to the constant promotion of poker on TV." 95% of kids are not habitual gamlers for any and all reasons. 95% of kids are not habitual gamblers period. I don't need to talk to guidance counselors or children or take some gallup poll to figure that out. I would bet my life in exchange for a mere C note that the number is no where near 50%. >>

That number was one I just threw out there to make a point. I obviously do not think it is anywhere near 95%. If there was confusion over my using that number to make a point I apologize. It seemed to me the actual % thrown out there was the least of the concern. There was alot more said that could have been recognized but clearly in your case wasnt.

I believe one thing though, and that is if THAT is the only point you noticed, are dwelling on, or have taken away after reading what I said then you are very much in the dark as to what a problem it is.

I also believe that nothing else I or anyone else could say would make you realize what a problem it is. Its kinda pathetic you would come back with the " life to a C note " statement instead of being constructive in the discussion and showing some sense of concern over what is clearly a rapidly growing problem with Americas youth.

Blind ignorance to situations like this one aid just as much to the problem as anything else.

Ax,

Just because kids will be kids, and people are addicted to many things does not make it less of a problem.

Also, to compare potential life long problems with gambling addiction which could ruin lives to rock & roll music is completely absurd. Poker on TV may be a " fad " but it is not a fad that goes away. For a great many people that become accustom to and regularly accept gambling as part of their lives, it is not a fad that goes away. It becomes a vicious and destructive way of life before they know it.

-- Yogi Berra

• Options
    Really? It's so bad out there because the media is hyping it up as such? Is there more abuse than 5 years ago? I am sure of it. Is it an epidemic? I doubt it sincerely.

Does anyone now even care about ecstasy use and abuse? But a few years ago, it was going to destroy the youth of America! But I can't remember the last time I even heard about ecstasy in the media...can you?

It comes in waves....to blame ESPN for putting poker on the air is just misplaced in my opinion. Most kids aren't going to take up gambling, become addicted to it, and start robbing banks because it's on ESPN. Sorry. Not happening. But a percentage of the population is subject to addictive behavior - be it smoking, drinking, or gambling.

People who want to make a fuss and say 'poker is destroying our youth!' really aren't looking at the big picture. These kids, if it weren't for gambling, would find an outlet for their addictive behavior somewhere.

• Options

<< <i>Anyone who wants to argue that any art form has been a detrimental force in society is someone I wish to pay no mind to whatsoever.

And poker has been detrimental? Sure, to some. But how many others has it helped by keeping them home and not out raising hell, getting into trouble? You could argue that any and all activities could be detrimental, if not taken in moderation. >>

Point understood. Since the other thread on poker got deleted, I'm not going to spend much time on this. Just one main point.

A number of unbiased studies have shown that gambling addiction is very simliar as addiction to narcotics such as cocaine and heroin. That's not my opinion...those are respected, unbiased studies speaking. I do happen to agree with those studies.

So do we want to promote to young people something as addictive as gambling? I don't think that's a good idea regardless of your assertion that it may be the lesser of the addictive evils for young people.

There are dozens, if not hundreds of healthy alternatives that young people can choose over gambling to keep them from "getting into trouble" - Frankly, gambling addiction gets them into more trouble for a multitude of reasons.

-

• Options

<< <i>I agree with the spirit of what bri2327 said and I thought everything was spot on but I thought the 95% was a bit too hyperbolic. And I do think that gambling is a bigger problem than rock and roll. It has the power to destroy lives in a way that rock and roll rarely if ever would. >>

My point is this: the perception of rock n roll by the adult population is that it WOULD destroy lives...they thought it would lead to the end of civilization as they knew it.

Anyone who thinks, honestly, truly, that poker playing/gambling is going to have a lasting effect on the population is being overly dramatic. You may think so because you face it day to day, but so do those who encounter alcohol addiction, or drug addiction - none of those seem to get much press these days, no one is screaming that drug/booze addiction is ending the world as we know it.

Look, gambling addiction has been a problem for a segment of the population for years...its no higher now than at any other time. The hype about poker being on ESPN is what has these so-called 'experts' releasing report after report talking about the negative aspects of gambling on tv.

• Options
    Ax,

Nobody is saying poker and gambling is going to lead to robbing banks. What it CAN and often does do is take someone by surprise and become a very unhealthy and destructive part of their adult lives.

I grew up watching what gambling does to good people, and to innocent family members. My father worked at a race track and I spent a great deal of my childhood watching good, caring family men lose the shirt off their backs and the roof over their wife and childrens head.

For a young adult to get so deeply involved in gambling before they are educated on what it can lead to, and before they are old enough and mature enough to assess the situation can be a very dangerous thing.

Sure, it may not be like a crystal meth addiction where they are robbing and killing for their habit, but it can lead to many life long problems. It can lead to a life less than that which you, I, or anyone else would wish upon their child. It can lead to a life where they can never afford their own home, or worse, lose theirs and their families home.
    -- Yogi Berra

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>I agree with the spirit of what bri2327 said and I thought everything was spot on but I thought the 95% was a bit too hyperbolic. And I do think that gambling is a bigger problem than rock and roll. It has the power to destroy lives in a way that rock and roll rarely if ever would. >>

My point is this: the perception of rock n roll by the adult population is that it WOULD destroy lives...they thought it would lead to the end of civilization as they knew it.

Anyone who thinks, honestly, truly, that poker playing/gambling is going to have a lasting effect on the population is being overly dramatic. You may think so because you face it day to day, but so do those who encounter alcohol addiction, or drug addiction - none of those seem to get much press these days, no one is screaming that drug/booze addiction is ending the world as we know it.

Look, gambling addiction has been a problem for a segment of the population for years...its no higher now than at any other time. The hype about poker being on ESPN is what has these so-called 'experts' releasing report after report talking about the negative aspects of gambling on tv. >>

Continue to turn a blind eye to gambling problems, drug problems, alcohol problems, unhealthy eating addictions, and the like and you will do nothing more than aid to an already decreasing level of productive people in American society. We are falling behind the world more and more, which nobody can argue, and it is due in large part to our complacency over issues like gambling, drugs, alcohol, etc.

How can we expect as a society to compete in life when we are not only breeding a nation of addicts on all levels, but ignoring it is even a problem that can and should be addressed ?
    -- Yogi Berra

• Options

<< <i>Ax,

Nobody is saying poker and gambling is going to lead to robbing banks. What it CAN and often does do is take someone by surprise and become a very unhealthy and destructive part of their adult lives. >>

Point taken, but tell me what addiction doesn't have that potential? It's not the gambling, it's the addictive personality of the one doing it. It could just as easily be a cocaine addiction, or an addiction to booze that becomes an unhealthy and destructive part of their adult lives, no?

<< <i>I grew up watching what gambling does to good people, and to innocent family members. My father worked at a race track and I spent a great deal of my childhood watching good, caring family men lose the shirt off their backs and the roof over their wife and childrens head. >>

Again, the same story can be said about the guy who drank while his family starved and lived in poverty.

<< <i>For a young adult to get so deeply involved in gambling before they are educated on what it can lead to, and before they are old enough and mature enough to assess the situation can be a very dangerous thing. >>

The number of people who are going to get wrapped up in such a situation is no worse than alcohol or smoking.

<< <i>Sure, it may not be like a crystal meth addiction where they are robbing and killing for their habit, but it can lead to many life long problems. It can lead to a life less than that which you, I, or anyone else would wish upon their child. It can lead to a life where they can never afford their own home, or worse, lose theirs and their families home. >>

Yes it's a terrible thing, but a personality defect that is predisposed to affect a certain percentage of the population. It's sad, but it's true.

I've been around long enough, and seen enough of these so-called disasters waiting to happen to know that they are never as bad as people make them out to be.
  • Options
    Ax,

Its not a question of being better or worse than people make them out to be. It is a case of them ALL being problems, and NONE of the problems, whether alcohol, drugs, gambling, or anything else should go untouched or ignored. They all should be addressed.

Nowhere did I claim, or intend to claim that gambling had some sort of power that wasnt there with any other addiction, or that it wasnt predisposed in people.

Just because some folks have addictive personalities and are more predisposed to becoming addicts does not mean we should throw a drink in front of them if it could be a problem, or a line of coke in front of them, or put 20 hrs ok gambling on TV every day, or anthing else of that sort.

In schools, and in homes we try to warn our children of the dangers of smoking, alcohol, and drugs. We try it the best we can by talking to them, educating them, and being open about all aspects of what the addiction is and what it can lead to. Why not give the same level of education to our children about the dangers of gambling ?
    -- Yogi Berra

• Options
    zef204zef204 Posts: 4,742 ✭✭

<< <i>Not only is it NOT a sport, but I think its a disgrace that ESPN and other channels show this crap 18 hrs a day.

I wish ESPN would take some sort of responsibilty and realize what this is creating among American youth. It really has become a big problem and will only create a nation of gambling addicted adults in years to come. >>

My 14 year old brother in law is convinced he is going to be a pro poker player.

It all started with him seeing me win 2 tourneysimage
    (both of which I burned all my vacation days for)

Then he got hooked on this internet game "Puzzel Pirates." I guess part of that game, which is free BTW and doesn't actually use real money, is Texas Hold'em. The point of the game is to build up as much "Po" as you can. He amassed so much "Po" he tried to sell it on eBay. Someone bought his "Po" for $2000!!!!!!! I guess they allow you in the game to transfer "Po" to another player. So now he has this arrangement that if he can give him X amount of PO every other week, he will Paypal him $500. So, needless to say, all he is doing is playing this freaking game and has made over $5K in 7 months. For a 14 year old, thats some heavy duty cash. He has since moved on to Party Poker, and all hell is breaking loose at home.

He was an A student and was taking Junior and Senoir math and science as a Freshman. He is nearly failing out of school. I don't even want to get into parenting on this as my father-in-law and his 2nd wife are clueless on the subject. But yes, ESPN and all the other networks showing this stuff affects kids more than most people could ever realize. He was on the path and motivated to get in to Harvard, and now he thinks he doesn't need college.

NOTE TO ALL: I know there are several solutions and parenting tips to his problem, but I really don't want to hear them. There is only so much a new son-in-law can suggest without overstepping his bounds. I likely feel how you do on this matter but that is not the point.
    EAMUS CATULI!

My Auctions
  • Options

<< <i>as much a sport as hockey, soccer and golf image >>

I hate to burst the baseball guys bubble but soccer demands a great deal more of athlethic ability than baseball.

To anwser the original question-Poker is not a sport..........
    Collecting:
    Dallas Cowboys
    SuperBowl MVPs
    Heisman Trophy Winers
  • Options
    WabittwaxWabittwax Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭
    Axtell, for as much crap as you take on these boards, I find myself agreeing with you on almost every topic. This one and the McGwire thread also.

As much as I love poker, it's technically not a sport. Although "games" and "sports" are almost the exact same thing except that sports require physical use of your body. That's the only real difference.

I am one who watches poker on TV. If you really understand the game, it has all the drama of a reality show. People sit and watch 20 somethings have orgies on "The Real World" on MTV. Is that any more beneficial to society? There are 100 more examples.

I say that it's nobody else's business what someone else spends their money on. People are absolutely consumed in this country with deciding what's best for everyone else. If someone wants to blow all their money, let em. It's their life and their money, not yours.
  • Options
    ESPN shows poker for entertainment. I personally like to watch it sometimes as it can be fun IMO. Poker can be played just for fun and one doesn't have to wager actual money. People choose to do so and that is no fault of ESPN's or many of the other stations that show poker.

ESPN also shows sports. These sports are often bet on by gamblers. I used to bet on sports when I was in school. It may have only been a few bucks here and there, but it was what I had at the time. Should ESPN stop showing sports just because people wager large amounts on them? Should we blame the government for selling lottery tickets? What about the Indians for their casinos? I especially want to blame the Eagles Club here for their damned 50/50 drawings!!! Why, I outta...

While were at it, I think ESPN should be blamed because children stop doing their homework and start using all of their time trying to practice the dunk they just saw on "Plays of the Day"? We can also blame some rock & roll drummer for 100 kids dropping out of school and starting a band just because he said that is what he did? I've also gotta blame religion after some freak bombs an abortion clinic because he says the Bible says it's murder? It's all their faults. Their parents couldn't control them, so why should they shoulder any of the blame?

• Options
    Poker on TV got started in Europe and was a big hit so ESPN decided to give it a try in the US.

It is not a sport and I don't care for it at all.

Tony Kornheiser on PTI says it won't be around on TV within 5 years, the fad will be over. He may or may not be right.

• Options

<< <i>Poker on TV got started in Europe and was a big hit so ESPN decided to give it a try in the US.

It is not a sport and I don't care for it at all.

Tony Kornheiser on PTI says it won't be around on TV within 5 years, the fad will be over. He may or may not be right. >>

He may or may not be right? Was there a third option? image

It's possible that the fad will be over, but ESPN was showing it before it became really big. They weren't showing it as frequently, but they still managed to show the WSOP before it became really big. It was just hard to watch because they didn't have the cameras they do now showing the hole cards (adopted by the WPT), so you frequently never knew what one or both of the players was holding and that's hard to watch. The "hole cam" has helped translate the game to the novice, which has helped it grow to where it is today.
  • Options
    rbdjr1rbdjr1 Posts: 4,474 ✭✭
    October 2005, I went to a 4-day Private Lending Bootcamp and seminar in Las Vegas. What I didn't at the time, that hurricane Wilma was "zeroing-in" on South Florida.

To make a long story short, I wound-up being stuck in Las Vegas for 14 days! All power was out in South Florida, all airports were shut down, it was a real mess.

Every day, I called home, worried about my family, as I was worried if they were able to eat? ...calling them, while I stuffed my face in the Belliago Buffet Line! image

So, after the 4-day event was over, my hotel was understanding, in the knowledge that I could not get home and "cut me" a great room rate for those extra 10 days I stayed in Legas!

The Belliago Poker Room Bosses were also understanding. As I told them I was stuck in Vegas, indefinately, because of hurricanwe Wilma, as I can't get home!

I told them (Poker Room management), if I stay long enough, I would have my FEMA checks sent directly me here, c/o The Bellagio Poker Room! They laughed! But they were also nice about it and comped me daily! (If u ever ate in the Belliago Buffet, u know I wasn't going hungry!)...

After 10 days of playin' Texas Holdem at what may be the best Poker Room in the world, I was just plain sick of it! How someone can play day-after-day, week-after-week? Well, I guess that is why they are "so-called professionals"?

I'll stick to my occasional "sit and go" online, and maybe another visit to the Belliago Poker Room, as they were really nice to me, but not for two weeks, maybe a weekend!

Is Poker a sport?

I would say Tournament Poker is a sport, like the "World Series of Poker", the "World Poker Tour", and even the smaller poker tournaments, the mental stress, and yes, the physical stress, sitting for many hours each day, for multiple days, seperates "the men from the boys", and an average poker player from a great poker star!

So the combination of experience, poker knowledge, mathmatics (the "odds"), "Tells" (the ability to read your opponent), mental toughness, the ability to bluff, "big balls", and much more, to me makes poker a sport.

Or at the very least, you need to be a "good sport" to play poker! image

rd
  • Options
    Ya know, I had this really long response to some of the stuff Ive read, but in the end decided to cancel it all since its apparently worthless and falls on deaf ears anyhow.
    -- Yogi Berra

• Options
    Gambling may not be as dangerous as say crack, but it can be just as addicting.

I have personally sat in front of my computer for a tourney and was completely unaware that 6 hours had passed in a blink of an eye. My former roommate would play for hours and hours and hours. Seriously.. I would leave for work, he was playing poker. Come home and there he was, playing poker. Going to bed and yet again, he's playing poker. He became oblivious to the world (sorta like a hermit) and poker became his obsession. And guess what he only watched on TV. Yep, poker (even a repeat for the 10th time).

It was a scary thing to watch and because of his non-stop addition, he has numerous outstanding debts (including to me).

Again, I know there are "worse" addictions out there that are being promoted left and right. But an addiction is an addiction.
  • Options

<< <i>Gambling may not be as dangerous as say crack, but it can be just as addicting.

I have personally sat in front of my computer for a tourney and was completely unaware that 6 hours had passed in a blink of an eye. My former roommate would play for hours and hours and hours. Seriously.. I would leave for work, he was playing poker. Come home and there he was, playing poker. Going to bed and yet again, he's playing poker. He became oblivious to the world (sorta like a hermit) and poker became his obsession. And guess what he only watched on TV. Yep, poker (even a repeat for the 10th time).

It was a scary thing to watch and because of his non-stop addition, he has numerous outstanding debts (including to me).

Again, I know there are "worse" addictions out there that are being promoted left and right. But an addiction is an addiction. >>

My brother used to work for a local car dealer back in the 1960s and he told me of a story about how the owner of the dealership
    went to Las Vegas for a vacation, ran up some heavy gambling debts and decided he would head for home and settle the debt later.

Turns out they (casino owner, maybe the mafia) wouldn't let him leave until he settled up on the spot. He had to have a relative wire
    the money to get him out of trouble.

Las Vegas probably doesn't work this way these days but back then it did (for this person anyway).
  • Options

<< <i>Gambling may not be as dangerous as say crack, but it can be just as addicting.

Again, I know there are "worse" addictions out there that are being promoted left and right. But an addiction is an addiction. >>

Having now played somewhere in excess of 1.4 million hands of online poker, I think I can comfortably say that for most players this stage of poker playing-- i.e., where you become totally enraptured in the game and completely lose your emotional contact with the rest of the world--is frequently short lived. It's important to draw a distinction between an 'addiction' and a 'phase', yet when it comes to gambling we usually cast this distinction aside. For instance, if someone goes on a bender for the summer we don't write that guy off as an alcoholic. But if someone plays poker for 2 months straight 90% of us won't hesitate to say that he has a gambling problem.

• Options
    zef204zef204 Posts: 4,742 ✭✭

<< <i>

Having now played somewhere in excess of 1.4 million hands of online poker, I think I can comfortably say that for most players this stage of poker playing-- i.e., where you become totally enraptured in the game and completely lose your emotional contact with the rest of the world--is frequently short lived. It's important to draw a distinction between an 'addiction' and a 'phase', yet when it comes to gambling we usually cast this distinction aside. For instance, if someone goes on a bender for the summer we don't write that guy off as an alcoholic. But if someone plays poker for 2 months straight 90% of us won't hesitate to say that he has a gambling problem. >>

If only my wife believed this.
    EAMUS CATULI!

My Auctions
  • Options

<< <i>

Having now played somewhere in excess of 1.4 million hands of online poker, I think I can comfortably say that for most players this stage of poker playing-- i.e., where you become totally enraptured in the game and completely lose your emotional contact with the rest of the world--is frequently short lived. It's important to draw a distinction between an 'addiction' and a 'phase', yet when it comes to gambling we usually cast this distinction aside. For instance, if someone goes on a bender for the summer we don't write that guy off as an alcoholic. But if someone plays poker for 2 months straight 90% of us won't hesitate to say that he has a gambling problem. >>

Well he's going on year 4. Is that considered a bender or an additction?

• Options
    <<< But if someone plays poker for 2 months straight 90% of us won't hesitate to say that he has a gambling problem. >>>

Ummm...yes....because that would be true.

The problem with gambling addiction versus other addictions is nobody thinks they are going to get rich drinking whiskey, nobody thinks they are going to get rich snorting cocaine, and nobody thinks they are going to get rich smoking four packs of Camels a day. A gambling addict gets the adrenaline rush thrill physical stimulation of the "gambling high" whether winning or losing money, plus the constant hope that the next bet could win a super jackpot, be the start of a gambling hot streak or maybe just pay the rent. All that combined makes for one tough addiction.

It has been stated that gambling addiction is one of the toughest addictions to break and that may be correct. This is a fact - gambling addiction has the highest suicide rate, and attempted suicide rate, of any other addiction and that includes drug addiction.

Steve
  • Options
    dirtmonkeydirtmonkey Posts: 3,048 ✭✭

<< <i>This is a fact - gambling addiction has the highest suicide rate, and attempted suicide rate, of any other addiction and that includes drug addiction. >>

Fact? Has there actually been multiple studies that all concur with this statement? Half the people that probably kill themselves from debt accrued during gambling probably don't even like to gamble, but think it's merely the easiest way to get even. I actually would like to see some figures on these studies.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>This is a fact - gambling addiction has the highest suicide rate, and attempted suicide rate, of any other addiction and that includes drug addiction. >>

Fact? Has there actually been multiple studies that all concur with this statement? Half the people that probably kill themselves from debt accrued during gambling probably don't even like to gamble, but think it's merely the easiest way to get even. I actually would like to see some figures on these studies. >>

Here are a few places you can start reading. There is plenty more where these came from.

article 1
    article 2
    article 3
    article 4
    article 5
    article 6
    article 7
    -- Yogi Berra

• Options
    dirtmonkeydirtmonkey Posts: 3,048 ✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

Fact? Has there actually been multiple studies that all concur with this statement? Half the people that probably kill themselves from debt accrued during gambling probably don't even like to gamble, but think it's merely the easiest way to get even. I actually would like to see some figures on these studies. >>

Here are a few places you can start reading. There is plenty more where these came from.

article 1
    article 2
    article 3
    article 4
    article 5
    article 6
    article 7 >>

Well the first study that I saw that says this follows it up by saying "Problem gamblers often have other dependencies such as alcohol or drug abuse".
    So do they just blame it on the gamblers or give 1/3 credit to each of the 3?
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

Well he's going on year 4. Is that considered a bender or an additction?

image >>

I don't know-- is he losing?

Gambling is only a 'problem' if you lose while doing it. stevek has decided that everyone loses at poker, so obviously he figures that there's a direct linear relationship between the amount you play and the size of your problem. I happen to know he's wrong, so I would say that the extent of a 'gambling problem', such as it is, is related to how much one loses relative to one's income/assets.

I guess you could say that a guy who consistently wins is still an addict, although at that point the addiction doesn't really worth talking about.

In any event, your friend's condition aside I think the original point I made was an interesting one.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

article 1
    article 2
    article 3
    article 4
    article 5
    article 6
    article 7 >>

Well the first study that I saw that follows it up by saying "Problem gamblers often have other dependencies such as alcohol or drug abuse".
    So do they just balme it one the gamblers or give 1/3 credit to each of the 3? >>

yeah you guessed it.

In all of 3 minutes you managed to read and make an educated decision on all the facts in those and other articles.

Forget it. Its not worth debating this anymore. If you and others want to be completely oblivious to what a problem gambling is than feel free to do so.
    -- Yogi Berra

• Options

<< <i><<< But if someone plays poker for 2 months straight 90% of us won't hesitate to say that he has a gambling problem. >>>

Ummm...yes....because that would be true.

The problem with gambling addiction versus other addictions is nobody thinks they are going to get rich drinking whiskey, nobody thinks they are going to get rich snorting cocaine, and nobody thinks they are going to get rich smoking four packs of Camels a day. A gambling addict gets the adrenaline rush thrill physical stimulation of the "gambling high" whether winning or losing money, plus the constant hope that the next bet could win a super jackpot, be the start of a gambling hot streak or maybe just pay the rent. All that combined makes for one tough addiction.

It has been stated that gambling addiction is one of the toughest addictions to break and that may be correct. This is a fact - gambling addiction has the highest suicide rate, and attempted suicide rate, of any other addiction and that includes drug addiction.

Steve >>

That may be true, although that doesn't answer the $64,000 question-- i.e., is the relationship between gambling addiction and suicide a direct causal relationship or a correlative relationship?
  • Options

<< <i>

http://govinfo.library.unt.edu/ngisc/reports/fullrpt.html

Chapter 7: Gambling’s Impacts on People and Places. A point made in this study was that approximately one in five pathological gamblers attempts suicide. The council further notes that the suicide rate among pathological gamblers is higher than for any other addictive behavior.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

If only my wife believed this. >>

Believed what?
  • Options
    Of course excessive gambling is a problem, no one is debating that.

But to say it's some sort of epidemic is misleading at best, fear mongering at worst.

ESPN is not creating a generation of mindless zombies, Kids aren't losing their minds en masse to gambling.

The poker fad is the newest in a long, long line of things that the public has deemed to ruin our youth.