Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

When did PCGS start doing this?

StoogeStooge Posts: 4,649 ✭✭✭✭✭
1964-D Pointed 9

1964-D Blunt 9

Anyone sending these in to get graded?
Are there any other Roosie stuff going on like DDO, DDR, RPM's etc...

Later, Paul.

Later, Paul.

Comments

• Options
    STONESTONE Posts: 15,275
    Not sure when they started it, but I've seen them around for awhile.
  • Options
    SteveSteve Posts: 3,313 ✭✭✭
    Has to be within the last year or so. Mint error category & NO series/coin number on label are all new to PCGS. Steveimage
  • Options
    QBertQBert Posts: 311 ✭✭✭
    Where do these show up in the pop report? Or do they?image
  • Options
    RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭
    They will do these if you do an error coin submission. It's still not recognized as a variety. They will also do stuff like the No FG 1966 or 1982 Kennedys on an error submission.

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    PS: I have to assume those prices are seller reserve because these coins sure as hell aren't worth the bid prices of $250 and $70.

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    MarkMark Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Paul:

I remember when I was collecting in the 1960s and the pointed 9/blunt 9 varieties were found. Talk about hype! These coins were going to make you a fortune! Get in the ground floor of the next "1950-D nickel" or "1960 small dates!" Buy these coins and put them away and you'll never need to worry about your kid's college education or your retirement!!! Well, maybe it wasn't this extreme, but the hype sure was present. It's interesting to see that the varieties are still recognized, though I doubt many people are funding their retirement with them.
    Mark

• Options
    Both are very common. The pointed 9 is earlier production and the blunt 9 is later production and considered the regular coin.

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    StoogeStooge Posts: 4,649 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I can see this as an easy thing to do. What you really need is an already graded coin say in a 6FB of 7FB. There are tons of RPM's in the Roosie series and I have a few already. The hard part is assigning the FS #'s. I'm sure there are tons of Pointed/Blunt 9's already in holders awaiting someone to discover them.

Later, Paul.

Later, Paul.