Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

POLL: Do you add a coin to your set when?

StoogeStooge Posts: 4,647 ✭✭✭✭✭
I would like to know what most collectors do. When you buy a coin and have access to the cert/slab #, do you then add it to your set, or do you wait until you receive the coin in hand?

I'm sure that this subject has been spoken about, but I though I would refresh it.

Later, Paul.

Later, Paul.

Comments

• Options
    QBertQBert Posts: 311 ✭✭✭
    My pattern is to wait till I recieve it.image
  • Options
    ajiaajia Posts: 5,400 ✭✭✭
    Paul,

Com'on now, you know placing a coin into your set before you have it in hand is against the rules. image
  • Options
    garsmithgarsmith Posts: 5,894 ✭✭
    Wait impatiantly for it to get here so I can add it than; add the coin after I receive it in hand!
  • Options
    STONESTONE Posts: 15,275
    So far I just add it when I get it, but then again I've only just started my slab buying/ registry sets.
  • Options
    66RB66RB Posts: 2,516 ✭✭✭
    I wait until I have the coin in-hand.

Never know if the coin is really going to work for me until I see it in-hand, so why add it until I know I'm keeping it?
  • Options
    I wait until I have the coin in hand. I received a coin once that was still registered under the previous owner. Had to contact PCGS who, in turn, contacted the previous owner, and got the dilemma straightened out. Waiting until it is in hand supposedly gives the previous owner time to delete it from his/her set.
    "Toto, we're not in Kansas anymore"

My Registry Sets
  • Options
    19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,472 ✭✭✭✭
    I always enter the slab number from the slab in hand. Otherwise, what if something happens in the mail, say the slab gets broken or the seller sends a generic slab?
    What if you dont like the coin and return it?

Too many whaty ifs to enter it before its in your hand.
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Add the cert. number to my inventory when I buy, then put it in my set when ir arrives if there are no problems with the coin.
  • Options
    RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭
    I wait until I have it, or rather I used to wait. I no longer have any sets registered. Many of my bidders add it as soon as they pay for it.

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    i'll do both. when i buy a common coin to fill a slot, like a 43-d fs jeff, i'll add it right away. i'm just buying the plastic for the common crap. anything substantial, i'll wait for the coin in hand to be certain i'm buying it.
  • Options
    etexmikeetexmike Posts: 6,795 ✭✭✭
    I just started listing my Morgan sets, so I haven't had too many opportunities to add a coin before I have it in hand.

I'm so slow between coin purchases that a few extra days is no big deal to wait.

-------------

etexmike
  • Options
    DAMDAM Posts: 2,410 ✭✭
    I do both.

In the case of adding the coin before I have it in hand, I may do it if I've bid on the coin at auction and can't pick it up for a day or so.

Otherwise I believe it's best to have the coin in hand in case it has to be returned.

Dan