Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

A trip to my local coin dealers

Today I ventured out of the apartment to visit the local brick and mortar dealers. I was hoping to purchase a recently issued proof coin that I wanted as well as a 2007 Coin and Banknote catalogue. Since I took a few pictures along the way, I thought I'd share them here.

I started my journey by walking to the subway station near my home and catching a train for the 15 minute ride downtown. Note the sign indicating I need to go down another level to catch the blue line train I'll take to reach my destination.

While waiting for the train to arrive I snapped a picture of the station platform. Note the huge crowds - obviously I timed my trip to avoid rush hour!

Aha, my stop.

Now it’s time to climb a lot of stairs to get out of here (Why are the trains I need always located on the lowest level?) and walk a few blocks over to the dealer’s location. Note to self, time to start that exercise program - those stairs almost did me in! Sorry, no picture of the stairs as when I saw how many there were my mind went blank.

At last I've reached the Promised Land, Hoehyeon underground shopping arcade. Scattered among the many different shops here there are at least 10-15 Coin & Stamp dealers but I've never bothered to count the exact number. This picture shows one aisle of the 4 or 5 in the arcade.

I wandered through several of the coin shops but couldn't find my target coin so I headed over to the dealer I usually do business with and saw one of the coins I wanted in his window. Here are front and side views of his shop.

The coin I was after on this trip was a Silver Proof 2006 South Korea 20,000 won coin commemorating the 560th Hangeul Day. Hangul Day celebrates the invention of Hangul, the native Korean phonetic alphabet. I think this is a really cool coin and wanted one for my collection. Of course the dealer tried to tempt me by showing me some other pretties but I was strong - well pretty strong as I did end up buying the 2005 Proof Asian-Pacific Economic Cooperation (APEC) commemorative he dangled in front of me. I also purchased the 2007 Korean Coins and Banknote Catalogue that I was after. Altogether it was a fun and successful trip for me. Here's a picture showing the results of my excursion. Hangul Day coin on the left and APEC coin on the right.

Comments

• Options
    coinlieutenantcoinlieutenant Posts: 9,305 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cool walkthrough Terry.

Korea looks like a very interesting place.

How was your turkey day?

John
  • Options
    FilamCoinsFilamCoins Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭

Neat idea! image

I'll have to do a visual tour of the Manila coin scene one of these days!!

• Options

Nice shots of your shopping adventure, and sweet coins, ever try the Tokyo subway at rush hour? image, I have.... image
  • Options
    JZraritiesJZrarities Posts: 2,583 ✭✭✭
    I really like the idea of the 'Picture taking Coin Trip'.

I wonder if we can get others to do the same and form a theme...
  • Options
    ajaanajaan Posts: 17,125 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Fantastic report. I love the photos.

This definately is Darkside Post of the Day material IMO.

DPOTD to USAROK?

DPOTD-3
    'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • Options
    AethelredAethelred Posts: 9,288 ✭✭✭
    Great photographic report, looks like a neat shop!
    If you are in the Western North Carolina area, please consider visiting our coin shop:

WNC Coins, LLC
    1987-C Hendersonville Road
    Asheville, NC 28803

wnccoins.com
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What JZrarities said.

Some photographic window shopping in the world's coin shops might be fun.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    I wish our coin dealers are liek that!
    Wish our dealers specified into coins not a whole vareity of antiques
    Want List
    Proud member of the CUFYNA
    Need a Banner Made? PM ME!
  • Options

<< <i>Scattered among the many different shops here there are at least 10-15 Coin & Stamp dealers >>

How things change! When I left Seoul in the fall of 1954 there weren't many more than 10-15 Koreans who could afford to become coin collectors (if you don't count the politicos image ).
    Roy

• Options
    farthingfarthing Posts: 3,294 ✭✭✭
    I agree with ajaan - DPOTD material!
    R.I.P. Wayne, Brad
    Collecting:
    Conder tokens
    19th & 20th Century coins from Great Britain and the Realm
  • Options
    Great post. Very interesting, thanks for the visual tour. I am really stunned that there would be "10 to 15" coin/stamp dealers in one area.

And FilamCoins--I would love to see you do something similiar from your region.

Clankeye
    Brevity is the soul of wit. --William Shakespeare
  • Options
    laurentyvanlaurentyvan Posts: 4,243 ✭✭✭
    Nice! Images do so much to add to a thread, especially from a foreign country!

Ajaan, farthing and JZrarities have it right- DPOTD material-visuals add so much.

Wouldn't it be a hell of a thread that required images with text or no post?

One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics
    is that you end up being governed by inferiors. – Plato
  • Options
    DBSTrader2DBSTrader2 Posts: 3,460 ✭✭✭✭
    Unfortunately... these days... in Philly, near which I live..... if someone was seen taking photos of subways, buildings, etc.......... they'd immediately be suspected of surveillance for future terrorist plots & taken into custody......................... shame...........

That said, thx for taking us on an interesting "day-in-the-life" excursion!

- - Daveimage
  • Options
    1jester1jester Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Scattered among the many different shops here there are at least 10-15 Coin & Stamp dealers >>

How things change! When I left Seoul in the fall of 1954 there weren't many more than 10-15 Koreans who could afford to become coin collectors (if you don't count the politicos image ). >>

Indeed! Things have changed quite a bit since I lived there 20 years ago. Thanks for the pictures!

imageimageimage
    .....GOD

"Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you." -Luke 11:9

"Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God is one LORD: And thou shalt love the LORD thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might." -Deut. 6:4-5

"For the LORD is our judge, the LORD is our lawgiver, the LORD is our king; He will save us." -Isaiah 33:22
  • Options
    Kurt4Kurt4 Posts: 492 ✭✭
    Excellent post. Nothing like walking to the coin store with somebody in Korea from my bedroom.image
  • Options
    Steve27Steve27 Posts: 13,274 ✭✭✭
    Great post! Did the dealer try to sell you some pottery too?
    "It's far easier to fight for principles, than to live up to them." Adlai Stevenson
  • Options
    StorkStork Posts: 5,205 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cool post! Thanks for sharing image

Cathy

• Options
    theboz11theboz11 Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭
  • Options
    SYRACUSIANSYRACUSIAN Posts: 6,448 ✭✭✭✭
    DPOTD to USAROK?

Absolutely!image

The one thing I don't get is the lack of escalators in what seems to be a modern subway.
    Dimitri

myEbay

DPOTD 3
  • Options
    USAROKUSAROK Posts: 887 ✭✭✭
    I'm glad that so many found my post to be of interest, it makes the effort worthwhile!

Steve27: The dealer didn't try to sell me any pottery, stamps, phone cards lottery tickets or any other merchandise he carried.

SYRACUSIAN: I believe this station on the blue line was built before my first time in Korea from July 1977 - July 1978. Some of the stations have escalators, but not all, and I think most have been made handicap accessible. If you look closely you'll see the sign in my first image is located on an elevator with a handicap sign.
  • Options
    sumnomsumnom Posts: 5,963 ✭✭✭
    USAROK, I have been to that store MANY times. It is by far the best in the Hoehyeon underground shopping center. I have purchased quite a few dang o jeon there. There is another store that has a better selection out in Sungin-dong, near the Dongmyo Station on Line 1 or Line 6. It's called Hangangsa. If you are interested, I can give you more detailed directions if you are up for an adventure.
  • Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,795 ✭✭✭✭✭
    neat pictures and story. DPOTD was appropriately awarded... image

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    sumnomsumnom Posts: 5,963 ✭✭✭
    Yes, USAROK. Thanks for the fun virtual trip downtown. image
  • Options
    ColinCMRColinCMR Posts: 1,482 ✭✭✭
    that's a good number of dealers in one place!!