Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

PHOTOS ADDED 1st post. 1942-s Jefferson nickel, pre-war style, small s. The rarest nickel issued b

RichieURichRichieURich Posts: 8,372 ✭✭✭✭✭
I've always been intrigued by the following entry in Breen's Encyclopedia: #"2684 1942 S Rev. of 1941 S Unique? Discovered in circulation by Ken Frith about 1961; later Herstal:89, 1975 Sub. Wash.:104, Robert Bashlow estate. Mintmark from the same punch as 2676 (1941 S Large S); presumably a 1941 S rev. remained in press with the 1942 obv. in anticipation of orders for nickel coins, but nothing was made until after the wartime silver alloy went into use."

I was buzzing thru eBay a while ago and ran into a seller with the same name, so I e-mailed him to find out if he was the same person, it turned out he is the same Ken Frith. He was happy that someone was interested in this coin, and he was wiling to send me a bunch of correspondence about it along with some pictures. As Breen indicated, it looks like a mule of a 1942 Philly obverse and a 1941-S Large S reverse with the s at the right side of Monticello. It is also the pre-war composition of 75% copper and 25% nickel. Mr. Frith did not actually find the coin in circulation, someone else did and brought it to his attention, at the time his specialty was collecting mint errors. He examined it and purchased it. He shipped it to dealer Michael Kolman of Cleveland, and Mr. Kolman and his expert Myron Zadowski confirmed it as genuine. He then shipped it to Don Taxay, who examined it and had no doubt of its authenticity. He then sent it to Walter Breen, who ran many tests on it and confirmed it was genuine.

The pictures I received are copies of photos taken in the 1960's so they are not of good enough quality to post. From the pictures, the coin appears to be in Fine condition.

Does anyone know where this coin is? I have a client who would be interested in purchasing it if it were available. PM me if you don't want to post information in the Forum.

Edited to add photos just received from Ken Frith:

An authorized PCGS dealer, and a contributor to the Red Book.

Comments

• Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,858 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is news to me. Now I'll be sure to go through my old nickels once again image Very interesting, too. Thanks Rich.

Joe
  • Options
    MrHalfDimeMrHalfDime Posts: 3,440 ✭✭✭✭
    That is one of the most interesting threads I have read on this forum. Thank you, Rich, for posting that. As TwoSides said, I will look more closely at 1942-S nickels from now on.
    They that can give up essential Liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither Liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin
  • Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,947 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The two 1966 Proofs (not "SMS" coins) given to Felix Schlag are also pretty good coins.
    Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Options
    TTT for the Friday crew.

• Options
    CladiatorCladiator Posts: 17,920 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ken Frith doesn't know where it is?
  • Options
    Cladiator, Ken Frith does not know where the coin is. Nor do I.

• Options
    sinin1sinin1 Posts: 7,500
    sold for $11K in '74 Bowers and Ruddy's Stanislaw Herstal sale

auctioned again in '75 at Suburban Washington sale

subsequently owned by Robert Bashlow, his estate, then
    Manfra, Tordella & Brookes who sold it to Bernard Nagengast

who sold to Larry Briggs who sold it to an unidentified collector

above from 'The Jefferson Nickel Analyst'
  • Options
    CladiatorCladiator Posts: 17,920 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Looks like the place to start is with Larry Briggs.
  • Options
    Thanks, sinin1. I've sent a message to Larry Briggs.

• Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,564 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I saw that coin a long time ago when Bern Nagengast owned it. He and I were officers in the Shelby County (Ohio) Coin Club.
    Bern is still involved in numismatics, making and selling Kointains. Write to the E&T Kointainer Co., P.O. Box 103, Sidney, Ohio 45365 and he might know who the current owner is.
    Tom DeLorey
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Why a Philly obverse?

I'm not familiar enough to spot the differences and might not be able to from the poor
    picture but wouldn't it be more believable that the coin was struck in San Francisco at the
    beginning of the year? It's easy to imagine that they merely failed to change the reverse
    die after changing the obverse die. Since the coin may be unique, then perhaps they simply
    cycled the press one or twice before completing the task of changing the dies.

This is relatively common in later years especially where the design changes are very small.
    Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    ShamikaShamika Posts: 18,760 ✭✭✭✭

Not an April fools joke.

Buyer and seller of vintage coin boards!
  • Options
    No, not an April Fool's joke. I saw the coin in Baltimore, here are comments from my Baltimore show report thread:

<< <i>Cool coins I saw: The coolest coin I saw was the unique 1942-S Jefferson nickel, with the reverse of the 1941-S Large S and in the pre-war composition. All other 1942-S nickels have the mintmark over the top of Monticello rather than on the side, and also have the wartime composition. I posted information I had about this coin in an earlier thread.

The 1942-S Jefferson with the reverse of the 1941-S Large S is a personal favorite of mine. After all, there aren't many unique coins in the Federal series! I ran into a dealer while he was setting up and he had a bunch of correspondence about the coin in one case. As I looked further, he had the nickel there also! He has it on consignment from its current owner who has owned it for 20 years. The price was a bit much for me, but it was a great coin, in Fine, and much better than the pictures I posted. For a Fine, it has very strong rims, leading me further toward the view that it was a coin to test the dies early in 1942, before the decision was made to convert to the wartime composition. >>

• Options
    MyqqyMyqqy Posts: 9,777
    So, is it for sale now? And how much is being asked for it? image
    My style is impetuous, my defense is impregnable !
  • Options
    Mr. Eureka, here you go!

• Options
    IGWTIGWT Posts: 4,975
    I missed this thread both the first and second time around. image Thanks for the bump, Rich.
  • Options
    How the heck could there be only one of these coins? Especially well-circulated, which indicates it wasn't specially struck and saved.

• Options
    Interesting info. But has anyone considered it could be a fake? You have to wonder about some of the things that Mr. Breen said and that people have taken as true facts. Remember the 1944 fake nickel, if that guy hadn't forgotten the mintmark would we have ever known? Considering the condition of the coin that is being discussed and that no others have come to light it must raise a red flag as to the possibility. But we must also remember that the 1943/2 wasn't discovered until the 1970's. As for the 1966 presentation coins to Felix there is a lot of that story that still needs serious research, very serious research.
    Dr. Terrance Wilson
  • Options
    But has anyone considered it could be a fake?

I have, especially because Henning is known to have made multiple dates, not just 1944's.
    Andy Lustig

• Options
    Rob790Rob790 Posts: 547

<< <i> But has anyone considered it could be a fake?

I have, especially because Henning is known to have made multiple dates, not just 1944's. >>

Given that the reverse is the large S style used only in 1941, I'd say it's real since at least it is traced down to a known reverse with known diagnostics.

Henning wasn't even astute enough to use the proper reverse for the silver war nickel, so I seriously doubt he would have been astute enough to use the large S 1941 reverse in making a piece like this.

Though we may never prove it conclusively till another specimen shows up, a much higher grade specimen.

• Options
    Though we may never prove it conclusively till another specimen shows up, a much higher grade specimen.

Not necessarily. A quick SEM-EDX test on the piece could be very interesting. And if anything suspicious appears in the report, the next step would be to SEM-EDX a Henning nickel.
    Andy Lustig

• Options
    Remember that the 44 nickels were supposedly made with the correct metal matrix, that is why it was odd that he choose the nickel as the profit margin was so minimal. If it is a fake it it very possible the 41 lg S reverse was choosen very randomly. Again it wasn't until years later that the difference in the mint mark was noticed. The question is not the size of the mint mark, but the location of the mint mark. As was noted earlier, it will take another example in a higher grade to help determine the true answer.
    Dr. Terrance Wilson
  • Options
    Rob790Rob790 Posts: 547

<< <i>Remember that the 44 nickels were supposedly made with the correct metal matrix, that is why it was odd that he choose the nickel as the profit margin was so minimal. If it is a fake it it very possible the 41 lg S reverse was choosen very randomly. Again it wasn't until years later that the difference in the mint mark was noticed. The question is not the size of the mint mark, but the location of the mint mark. As was noted earlier, it will take another example in a higher grade to help determine the true answer. >>

So Henning used the correct Cu-Ni alloy to make his "silver" war nickels? Interesting, so did he use the incorrect reverse in an honest attempt to let the people know it wasn't silver? I don't know but it's interesting none the less. If this thing is a fake, I am sure it's not Henning. He was very sloppy with small details like proper obverse and reverse use.

The size of the mint mark may actually matter here because I do believe that there is only one reverse for the Large S 1941 reverse. Someone correct me here if I'm wrong.

I hope it gets certified and tested, I'd like to see what it uncovers.

• Options
    stephunterstephunter Posts: 2,324 ✭✭✭
    While we are speaking of this, has anyone heard of the existance of a 1940-S reverse of 38 Jefferson? Breen mentions this under his listing of #2672. Or the 1946 nickels on wartime silver blanks?
  • Options

<< <i>While we are speaking of this, has anyone heard of the existance of a 1940-S reverse of 38 Jefferson? Breen mentions this under his listing of #2672. Or the 1946 nickels on wartime silver blanks? >>

Heritage auctioned a 1946 nickel on a wartime silver blank about 4 - 5 years ago. Not sure if it sold or not.

• Options
    OverdateOverdate Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭✭✭

Assuming that the coin was struck early in the year and released through normal channels, I think it should be recognized as a legitimate (and ultimate key) coin in the Jefferson series and not an "error".

Unlike the 1943 "copper" cents that were struck in the wrong metal for the year, the 1942-S Type 1 nickel was struck in a composition and with a mintmark style and placement that was appropriate for the first 9 months of the year of issue. This should make the coin as legitimate as the 1942 Philadelphia Type 1 nickel, even if the known mintage of the 1942-S is only 1.

My Adolph A. Weinman signature :)

• Options
    RWBRWB Posts: 8,082
    Silver alloy or normal CuNi?
  • Options

<< <i>sold for $11K in '74 Bowers and Ruddy's Stanislaw Herstal sale

auctioned again in '75 at Suburban Washington sale

subsequently owned by Robert Bashlow, his estate, then
    Manfra, Tordella & Brookes who sold it to Bernard Nagengast

who sold to Larry Briggs who sold it to an unidentified collector

above from 'The Jefferson Nickel Analyst' >>

I saw it when Bern Nagengast owned it. We were officers in the Shelby COunty Coin Club at the time. Looked OK to me.
    TD

Edited to add: Oops! Just noticed that this is an old thread, and that I said that before.......
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options

Silver alloy or normal CuNi?

The coin in question was manufactured in pre-war composition, according to posts in this and other threads.

• Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The Henning counterfeits are very poor quality. It's most doubtful they could fool an advanced collector much less an expert.
    Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    RWBRWB Posts: 8,082
    Seems to me that the burden of proof lies with anyone claiming to have a coin not officially reported as produced by the SF Mint…or am I missing something ?
  • Options
    CoinCoinsCoinCoins Posts: 698 ✭✭✭
    i just found out about this coin today.. fascinating. i hope there's another one out there.

info

• Options
    BigDowgieBigDowgie Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭✭
    Rich,

I hope this thread locates the right person to obtain some real pictures to feast our eyes on. I find it hard to believe there are none out there yet????

Dowg

• Options
    "Once offered $2500. in 1967."

If I remember correctly, the asking price in the ad was $25,000 rather than $2,500.

• Options
    gonzergonzer Posts: 2,991 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Quite an interesting read...and mighty appropriate for Easter Sunday, wouldn't you say?
  • Options
    Just to bring back up an old topic...

I have had the pleasure of viewing this coin.
    This coin is of silver composition, not pre-war, although slightly different values from a typical war nickel.

“Frith Nickel”
    Ag 53.84
    Cu 41.35
    Mn 4.77
    Ni 0.04

1942-S MM Above
    Ag 39.67
    Cu 52.02
    Mn 8.27
    Ni 0.04

I will update this thread with high res pictures, or at least a link to them shortly!
  • Options
    Getting back to a question raised in this thread's original lifetime, there is no reason to think that this was a 1942 Philly obverse. The 1942 San Francisco obverses looked exactly the same.
    TD

P.S.: and did I mention that I once saw this coin while Bern Nagengast had it???

• Options
    bolivarshagnastybolivarshagnasty Posts: 7,350 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Look forward to new details on this interesting Jefferson.
  • Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    hey Tom, weren't you guys officers in the Shelby County(Ohio) Coin Club a one time??image
  • Options
    lasvegasteddylasvegasteddy Posts: 10,408 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Just to bring back up an old topic...

This coin is of silver composition, not pre-war, although slightly different values from a typical war nickel.

“Frith Nickel”
    Ag 53.84
    Cu 41.35
    Mn 4.77
    Ni 0.04

1942-S MM Above
    Ag 39.67
    Cu 52.02
    Mn 8.27
    Ni 0.04

I will update this thread with high res pictures, or at least a link to them shortly! >>

wow
    quality images are to surface
    how sweet is this for an old article about a midnight mule

thanks coinlook
    what a treat it must of been too...to be with this nickel on a personal level
    everything in life is but merely on loan to us by our appreciation....lose your appreciation and see

• Options
    BaronVonBaughBaronVonBaugh Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭✭

“Frith Nickel”
    Ag 53.84
    Cu 41.35
    Mn 4.77
    Ni 0.04

1942-S MM Above
    Ag 39.67
    Cu 52.02
    Mn 8.27
    Ni 0.04

I will update this thread with high res pictures, or at least a link to them shortly! >>

Since the composition is dramatically different, perhaps it should be considered a pattern.

• Options

“Frith Nickel”
    Ag 53.84
    Cu 41.35
    Mn 4.77
    Ni 0.04

1942-S MM Above
    Ag 39.67
    Cu 52.02
    Mn 8.27
    Ni 0.04

My guess would be that the Mint was testing various ratios of the four metals to see which ones would work in vending machines. This could be a test strike that was made for that purpose, and that was inadvertently released to circulation. Possibly some similar coins were made at Philadelphia and Denver also, but they would be harder to spot because, apart from their metallic composition, they would be identical to the Type 1 nickels produced that year.

• Options

“Frith Nickel”
    Ag 53.84
    Cu 41.35
    Mn 4.77
    Ni 0.04

1942-S MM Above
    Ag 39.67
    Cu 52.02
    Mn 8.27
    Ni 0.04

WHat type of testing produced these results, and were multiple tests conducted on each piece to get average readings? When I was at ANACS we did elemental testing on a few pieces, and typically got variances on a single piece from location to location. I assume that this was due to the mixing of the alloy.

TD
  • Options

<< <i>

“Frith Nickel”
    Ag 53.84
    Cu 41.35
    Mn 4.77
    Ni 0.04

1942-S MM Above
    Ag 39.67
    Cu 52.02
    Mn 8.27
    Ni 0.04

WHat type of testing produced these results, and were multiple tests conducted on each piece to get average readings? When I was at ANACS we did elemental testing on a few pieces, and typically got variances on a single piece from location to location. I assume that this was due to the mixing of the alloy.

TD >>

Definitely could be due to how the alloy was mixed and settled when creating the sheet metal and then planchet.

I would definitely call this a 'pattern' of a 'metallic alloy test piece'.

As for alloy composition analysis:
    1) The surfaces of the coin should be treated to remove surface contaminants
    2) At least 2 or 3 areas of the coin should be tested for both a range and average compositional record
    3) The results of your testing will ultimately depend on the precision of the instrument you use (I'm not sure how accurate the machines were 25-30 years ago at ANACS Tom)
  • Options
    LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭
    just gotta say, loved seeing all the names in this thread for such a cooperative project (previous and recent). image

good job to CoinCoins for posting to this (at the time) 6 year old thread so as to include a very enjoyable read along with new findings/info etc.

a big fat "thumbsup;

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• Options
    And FWIW, I once had the technician take a reading in a protected recess of a circulated silver coin, and got all sorts of interesting results from the "crust" on the coin. The predominant non-standard element was in effect salt, I assume from being handled by sweaty hands.

The technician suggested that if I wanted a true reading on any coin I should polish a spot down to bare metal. I explained thast this was not an option.
  • Options
    ambro51ambro51 Posts: 13,609 ✭✭✭✭✭
    .....as speculated probably a "test piece" gone astray and became just another nickel. It would be interesting if any mint records recorded trial alloy mixes. Genuine, a true dark horse rarity. I think the small amount of nickel is just a trace element remaining in the copper used.
  • Options
    I am reminded of a series of letters I enchanged with Dr. Goldman at the Mint Laboratory when I was working at Collectors Clearinghouse back in the 1970's. I was trying to explain why wartime nickels were so prone to lamination errors (or de-lamination errors for the nitpickers) and he replied that during the War the Philadelphia Mint was so busy with producing both U.S. and foreign coins that ingots of non-precious metals (i.e.-anything but silver--TD) might get stored outdoors until needed.

He said that the manganese ingots tended to ozidize heavily and get a thick, black coating of manganese oxide. Proper procedure would have been to "scale" the ingots before using them, but they didn't bother to. The manganese oxide did not alloy into the melt, and caused streaks that later failed.

So, bad alloying was a common problem with wartime nickel planchets. The question is, how did this old reverse die get into a press in 1942? And was there a large production run that was caught and melted, except for this one which got out into circulation?

TD
  • Options
    BaronVonBaughBaronVonBaugh Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭✭

“Frith Nickel”
    Ag 53.84
    Cu 41.35
    Mn 4.77
    Ni 0.04

1942-S MM Above
    Ag 39.67
    Cu 52.02
    Mn 8.27
    Ni 0.04

I for one, was hoping for those high res pictures to show up!
  • Options
    leothelyonleothelyon Posts: 8,366 ✭✭✭✭✭
    <>So, bad alloying was a common problem with wartime nickel planchets. The question is, how did this old reverse die get into a press in 1942? And was there a large production run that was caught and melted, except for this one which got out into circulation?

I'm not going to say whether this coin is genuine or fake or it's a product of Henning, which is possible. But as you say, a run had to take place and the rest would have had to been recycled otherwise, where are the others. I think we would need some facts from the mint when the silvers were implemented...early on or later in the year. I could speculate, but that would be useless. I would be interested in taking on Bern Nagengast and others on the why on how they assessed the coin when they had it in hand but that's not going to happen. Here we have a lousy picture and two dates when it sold and we don't know who has it now. Why I had no interest to ask Briggs when we ......encountered early this year......he doesn't know me as many as you don't........and it's just that way. It's possible, since the coin has not been certified............I'll let your generalities take off from here.

Leo

The more qualities observed in a coin, the more desirable that coin becomes!

My Jefferson Nickel Collection

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file