Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Best Book on Bust Half Overton #'s?

I read on a past thread that people said the 3rd edition of "Early Half Dollar Die Varieties" is the best, is this still the case?
Also I found this ONE on ebay, what does REVISED EDITION 5TH PRINTING mean?
I'd like to buy a copy asap to start researching! image
Thanks for your guys help!!
SM

ANA - J-3139215
SPMC - J-12338
McDCCC - Charter Member

Announcing: The Numismatic Enquirer - Website
imageimageimage

Comments

• Options
    I believe the EBAY one is the 5th printing of the 2nd Edition (1970). The 3rd Edition came out in 1990.
    Curmudgeon in waiting!
  • Options

<< <i>I believe the EBAY one is the 5th printing of the 2nd Edition (1970). The 3rd Edition came out in 1990. >>

Thanks! I've been searching google and haven't found a 3rd edition since they are Out of Print. Does anyone have any idea where to get one for a good price?
    Thanks again,
    SM
    ANA - J-3139215
    SPMC - J-12338
    McDCCC - Charter Member

imageimageimage
  • Options
    There is now a new 4th edition in print (not sure of date but probably 2005). Brent-Krueger Coin Supply has it for $63.95
    Curmudgeon in waiting!
  • Options
    If you can find a copy of the 3rd edition, it is far superior to the mistake-riddled 4th edition. The book on ebay is the 2nd edition and is of very limited utility. The only advantage to having a copy of the 4th edition is that it contains pictures of the unique 1794 O.111, 1806 O.128 and 129, and 1807 O.115, of which three are now known.

If none is available on ebay, try booksellers Charlie Davis or John Burns. They are both first rate individuals and carry an extensive inventory.
  • Options
    numismanumisma Posts: 3,877 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>If you can find a copy of the 3rd edition, it is far superior to the mistake-riddled 4th edition. The book on ebay is the 2nd edition and is of very limited utility. The only advantage to having a copy of the 4th edition is that it contains pictures of the unique 1794 O.111, 1806 O.128 and 129, and 1807 O.115, of which three are now known.

If none is available on ebay, try booksellers Charlie Davis or John Burns. They are both first rate individuals and carry an extensive inventory. >>

Bingo. Slumlord, is there a web site or list of some sort that outlines the errors in the 4th edition? Is the author going to fix the mistakes an make a second printing, or just ignore the reality that it was a bomb?
  • Options
    Hey Guys!
    Does $70 seem like a fair price for this book?
    SM
    ANA - J-3139215
    SPMC - J-12338
    McDCCC - Charter Member

imageimageimage
  • Options

I just bought one for $50. However, I was lucky. The 3rd edition is getting hard to find. If you can't find another, you should buy one for $70 (make sure it is the 1990 edition).
  • Options

<< <i>I just bought one for $50. However, I was lucky. The 3rd edition is getting hard to find. If you can't find another, you should buy one for $70 (make sure it is the 1990 edition). >>

Thanks! I was trying to find the 2 people mentioned above and I think I found one of them, but didn't see a copy of the 3rd.
    SM
    ANA - J-3139215
    SPMC - J-12338
    McDCCC - Charter Member

imageimageimage
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>I just bought one for $50. However, I was lucky. The 3rd edition is getting hard to find. If you can't find another, you should buy one for $70 (make sure it is the 1990 edition). >>

Thanks! I was trying to find the 2 people mentioned above and I think I found one of them, but didn't see a copy of the 3rd.
    SM >>

John sets up at mid-west shows and can be difficult to reach. I can get his number for you if you want it. Charles Davis has more of a web presence and is easy to reach. It is best to call either of them and ask if they have a copy. They come into inventory and leave inventory regularly. Although not advertised, they may have a copy on the shelf. If you need specific contact numbers, let me know.
  • Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

1807 O.115, of which three are now known

list of some sort that outlines the errors in the 4th edition?

Well, doesn't the 4th edition list the 115 as "R.6" and give a condition census of (55, 50, 45, 40, 40, estimates)?

I'm curious where that information came from?? the description of reverse B is simply copied from 103 and 104 which share rev. B, but the rarity is , what, estimated prediction of new specimens to be found in the future?? maybe they will but I'm not sure prognistication is the purpose of the book?

the new obverse 12 is minimally described, omitted are the diagnostic marks under the ribbon and the weak top of the R in "LIBEKTY" that make the variety unique

pictured is the Peterson coin, the second finest known, which I guess makes sense since he is "in the loop",
    the only two other specimens I'm aware of are the dug-damaged-cleaned one and the NGC-certified discovery coin

The third edition goes into 2 pages about Al Overton's "pet" 1817/4, I know I'm biassed but I would have liked to see a few more words about the discovery of the 115 in a supposedly updated edition , particularly with Al's name removed and Don taking responsibility for the whole thing

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options

<< <i>I'm curious where that information came from?? the description of reverse B is simply copied from 103 and 104 which share rev. B, but the rarity is , what, estimated prediction of new specimens to be found in the future?? maybe they will but I'm not sure prognistication is the purpose of the book? >>

The information came from a creative corner of Don's mind. It is highly irresponsible to pass off numismatic guesswork such as this, especially from someone who knows better. When one reads Logan, Manley, Bowers-Borckardt, et al, it becomes most apparent that the 4th edition should have been something special, instead of the waste of so much paper.

<< <i>pictured is the Peterson coin, the second finest known, which I guess makes sense since he is "in the loop", >>

Charleton Meyer bought this coin when Glenn made it available at the Pittsburgh ANA, and to those who have seen all three, it is considered the finest known. It subsequently slabbed 30 at PCGS. Downey suggested it be used for the plate coin. I studied the damaged one at length at FUN a couple years ago, and saw it get placed in a famous collection, coughovertonreferencecough, and got to examine Glenn's coin before he sold it. I have seen only an image of the discovery coin, so I am out of the loop in deciding the finest known. On the reverse of the discovery coin, how far does the crack above STATES travel? Was this reverse used on 115 after 103?

Charlie Davis can be reached at numislit@aol.com. PM me for John Burns's phone #.

<< <i>The third edition goes into 2 pages about Al
    Overton's "pet" 1817/4, I know I'm biassed but I would have liked to see a few more words about the discovery of the 115 in a
    supposedly updated edition , particularly with Al's name removed and Don taking responsibility for the whole thing >>

Both Al and Don had almost no interest in preturbs, only CBHs. They were talked into including them by BHNC member Paul Munson, who was famous for showing up late enough to BHNC board meetings, so late that the Rip Van Munson award is still given out for the last arrival at the board meetings every ANA. He also was the first to use edge dies to establish the preturb emission sequence, and inspired Ivan Leaman and Don Gunnet to perform their landmark survey of members' collections to establish the CBH emission sequence.
  • Options
    NysotoNysoto Posts: 3,771 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>On the reverse of the discovery coin, how far does the crack above STATES travel? Was this reverse used on 115 after 103? >>

I'm bettin' the die crack was lapped off, as were the serifs at the top of UNITED and the heavy clashmarks through OF.
    Robert Scot: Engraving Liberty - biography of US Mint's first chief engraver
  • Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks so much for the information slumlord! It's great to learn more about the other specimens, as I've only seen the one.

I thought I understood that the Peterson coin was cleaned, perhaps I was mistaken or perhaps it's only an "old gentle" cleaning?

Anyway, as far as figuring out the emission sequence, I'll post some better pictures when I get a chance to photograph the coin again

I agree with you that it is a shame that the 4th edition contains either intentionally or negligently erroneous information, I'm curious to learn what the other big mistakes are

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options
    The Ultimate Guide to Attributing Bust Half Dollars is also a great book.
    Greg Cohen

Senior Numismatist

Legend Rare Coin Auctions
  • Options
    crispycrispy Posts: 792 ✭✭✭

<< <i>If you can find a copy of the 3rd edition, it is far superior to the mistake-riddled 4th edition. The book on ebay is the 2nd edition and is of very limited utility. The only advantage to having a copy of the 4th edition is that it contains pictures of the unique 1794 O.111, 1806 O.128 and 129, and 1807 O.115, of which three are now known.

If none is available on ebay, try booksellers Charlie Davis or John Burns. They are both first rate individuals and carry an extensive inventory. >>

I got my 3rd Edition from "The Cheap Slab Store" for $60. They only had one in stock at the time, but you may want to keep an eye on on their website link. Seamless transaction and delivered in a timely fashion. I don't see a 3rd Edition on there right now, but it's probably worth checking out from time to time.
    "to you, a hero is some kind of weird sandwich..."
  • Options
    OKbustchaserOKbustchaser Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

Bingo. Slumlord, is there a web site or list of some sort that outlines the errors in the 4th edition? Is the author going to fix the mistakes an make a second printing, or just ignore the reality that it was a bomb? >>

4th edition errata

Edit to add:

By the way, I highly recommend that anyone seriously collecting bust halves by DM subscribe to this site.
    Just because I'm old doesn't mean I don't love to look at a pretty bust.
  • Options
    LoveMyLibertyLoveMyLiberty Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭
    Stop Motion

Look at this:

http://www.abebooks.com/servlet/SearchResults?an=Al+Overton&kn=Half+Dollar&sts=t&tn=Early+Half+Dollar++die+varieties&x=74&y=4

It's the last one on the list #10,,, Boy are these going up in price & harder to find. I paid $56.

Good Luck
    My Type Set

R.I.P. Bear image

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file