Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Time to ask Longacre some questions!

MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,943 ✭✭✭✭✭
It's only fair!

I'll start:

Longacre - With all the great coins in this world, how could you possibly pick a 1904 quarter eagle as your icon?
Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.

Comments

• Options
    tradedollarnuttradedollarnut Posts: 20,147 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Is Consuela hot?

Cameron Keifer
  • Options
    RichieURichRichieURich Posts: 8,371 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Longacre, how do you find time to come up with all of your thought-provoking questions?

An authorized PCGS dealer, and a contributor to the Red Book.

• Options
    CladiatorCladiator Posts: 17,919 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Longacre - You and RYK are really the same person right?
  • Options
    MikeInFLMikeInFL Posts: 10,188 ✭✭✭✭
    With your questioning nature, how did your mother put up with you as a child? image
    Collector of Large Cents, US Type, and modern pocket change.
  • Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,333 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Do you ask as many questions in real life?
    Do you find answers to questions leads to even more questions?
    What will you do when you run completely out of questions?
    Why don't you ask more questions that I have an opinion on?
    Do some questions naturally lead to other questions? Do you ask them both at the same time? Does this get more answers?
    Did you know Socrates taught by asking questions?
    Is there such a thing as the perfect question?
    Do you think people will use this thread as a cheat thread?
    Have you ever worn out the question mark on your keyboard?

Would you keep asking questions?

Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    Why are you still awake?
    Brandon Kelley - ANA - 972.746.9193 - http://www.bestofyesterdaycollectibles.com
  • Options
    KentuckyJKentuckyJ Posts: 1,871 ✭✭✭

Are there ?'s you have that you don't ask, perhaps fearing you've already maxed out what any reasonable person might ask in one day?

• Options
    WoodenJeffersonWoodenJefferson Posts: 6,491 ✭✭✭✭
    Do your eyebrows resemble Andy Rooney's?
    Chat Board Lingo

"Keep your malarkey filter in good operating order" -Walter Breen
  • Options
    BarryBarry Posts: 10,100 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Longacre - You and RYK are really the same person right? >>

I've met both of them (but not at the same time image )
  • Options
    RYKRYK Posts: 35,788 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Longacre - You and RYK are really the same person right? >>

I've met both of them (but not at the same time image ) >>

I have not met both in person... image , but from what I understand, Longacre is the less debonair of the two. image
  • Options
    Now, for my question for Mr. Longacre:

Let's say that it is December 20, and there are three southern gold coins on the market that you really want to buy (Coins X, Y, and Z) that, for the sake of argument, are owned by Dealers A, B, and C, respectively, and have roughly the same value, x. Dealer A is your favorite dealer, Dealer B, is your second favorite dealer, and Dealer C is your third favorite dealer. Let us also assume that you only have enough money to buy one of the three coins, but you have a coin worth 2x (Coin L) that you can apply on the trade. You have a 20 percent profit position in coin L, a coin that you purchased on December 26 of the previous year. There is only one check left in your "secret checking account", and your wife watches the other account, and the mail, like a hawk. Dealer A does not trust Dealer B, Dealer B cannot stand Dealer C, and Dealer C is very jealous of Dealer A.

Please structure a deal that involves you obtaining all three coins by December 31 and minimizing your tax liability, while writing one check and receiving only one package at your office.
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,419 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Now, for my question for Mr. Longacre:

Let's say that it is December 20, and there are three southern gold coins on the market that you really want to buy (Coins X, Y, and Z) that, for the sake of argument, are owned by Dealers A, B, and C, respectively, and have roughly the same value, x. Dealer A is your favorite dealer, Dealer B, is your second favorite dealer, and Dealer C is your third favorite dealer. Let us also assume that you only have enough money to buy one of the three coins, but you have a coin worth 2x (Coin L) that you can apply on the trade. You have a 20 percent profit position in coin L, a coin that you purchased on December 26 of the previous year. There is only one check left in your "secret checking account", and your wife watches the other account, and the mail, like a hawk. Dealer A does not trust Dealer B, Dealer B cannot stand Dealer C, and Dealer C is very jealous of Dealer A.

Please structure a deal that involves you obtaining all three coins by December 31 and minimizing your tax liability, while writing one check and receiving only one package at your office. >>

Sounds like some of the Algebra problems I had to solve in school. image

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    IGWTIGWT Posts: 4,975
    Do you put your tongue in your left or right cheek while writing about being whipped into a frothy frenzy? Is the left cheek for parody and the right cheek for sarcasm?
  • Options
    DarkStarDarkStar Posts: 446 ✭✭✭✭
    Till the Morning Comes? Isn't that kind of obscure?

There are 10 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who do not.

• Options

<< <i>Let's say that it is December 20, and there are three southern gold coins on the market that you really want to buy (Coins X, Y, and Z) that, for the sake of argument, are owned by Dealers A, B, and C, respectively, and have roughly the same value, x. Dealer A is your favorite dealer, Dealer B, is your second favorite dealer, and Dealer C is your third favorite dealer. Let us also assume that you only have enough money to buy one of the three coins, but you have a coin worth 2x (Coin L) that you can apply on the trade. You have a 20 percent profit position in coin L, a coin that you purchased on December 26 of the previous year. There is only one check left in your "secret checking account", and your wife watches the other account, and the mail, like a hawk. Dealer A does not trust Dealer B, Dealer B cannot stand Dealer C, and Dealer C is very jealous of Dealer A.

Please structure a deal that involves you obtaining all three coins by December 31 and minimizing your tax liability, while writing one check and receiving only one package at your office. >>

A question like this should also include some parameters related to a coin being shipped from Australia and crossing the international date-line.
  • Options
    RichieURichRichieURich Posts: 8,371 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>image
    Do your eyebrows resemble Andy Rooney's? >>

[Andy Rooney voice] J'ever wonder . . . . . why he doesn't cut those eyebrows? [/Andy Rooney voice] image

An authorized PCGS dealer, and a contributor to the Red Book.

• Options
    LongacreLongacre Posts: 16,717 ✭✭✭
    At the risk of feeding this monster, here goes (I can’t guarantee that other questions will be answered, though):

(1) Longacre - With all the great coins in this world, how could you possibly pick a 1904 quarter eagle as your icon?

It is a very common coin, but I collect quarter eagles. I just liked the icon in the list of items that were available. If anyone has a good picture of a crusty, rare quarter eagle (icon size), I would consider changing my icon.

(2) Is Consuela hot?

That’s for me to know and for you to find out. PS. The answer is buried deep in my original Consuela thread if you’re really interested. Also, I wanted to announce that Consuela is reporting back to work today!!!

(3) Longacre, how do you find time to come up with all of your thought-provoking questions?

I tend to read a lot and the questions just pop into my head for some reason. I also apply things that occur in real life to the coin world (which sometimes does not match reality). For example, yesterday I was thumbing through an auction catalog for numismatic books, and the idea about the dealer correspondence file came to me and I posted it (the catalog was selling a dealer’s correspondence file).

(4) Longacre - You and RYK are really the same person right?

I can assure you we are not the same person. RYK can read an x-ray, and you certainly wouldn’t want me doing a medical procedure on you. Also, I beg to differ regarding the level of debonair-ness between the two of us.

(5) With your questioning nature, how did your mother put up with you as a child?

I am a middle child, actually, so maybe that has something to do with it.

(6) Do you ask as many questions in real life?

Yes, actually. The tax code is not the most straight forward document in the world, so it pays to question things.

(7) Do you find answers to questions leads to even more questions?

Yes, most times I get ideas from other people’s answers.

(8) What will you do when you run completely out of questions?

I was quite an active participant on the Golf Magazine message board (in its heyday). I guess I could always go back to that.

(9) Why don't you ask more questions that I have an opinion on?

That’s a good question. I think that all of my questions are equal opportunity, though.

(10) Do some questions naturally lead to other questions? Do you ask them both at the same time? Does this get more answers?

This frequently happens and I tend to break them up. I try to put one topic in a thread (although that is not always possible).

(11) Did you know Socrates taught by asking questions?

I went to law school where the method of teaching is the Socratic method. Even if you asked the professor a direct question and could have been answered with a simple yes or no, the professor would just ask you a question back. It’s pretty annoying, but effective.

(12) Is there such a thing as the perfect question?

That one is too deep for me.

(13) Do you think people will use this thread as a cheat thread?

Not sure, but good idea.

(14) Have you ever worn out the question mark on your keyboard?

Just got a new computer, and it seems to be working fine.

Would you keep asking questions?

(15) Why are you still awake?

I keep myself logged in all the time, so it looks like I never sleep.

(16) Are there ?'s you have that you don't ask, perhaps fearing you've already maxed out what any reasonable person might ask in one day?

I frequently have to restrain myself from asking too many questions and flooding the boards.

(17) Do your eyebrows resemble Andy Rooney's?

Here is picture. What do you think? Thread link

(18) Now, for my question for Mr. Longacre:

Please structure a deal that involves you obtaining all three coins by December 31 and minimizing your tax liability, while writing one check and receiving only one package at your office.

Have the coins sent to dealer D on approval, have dealer D send them to me on approval, send the check and coin L to dealer D on January 1st.

(19) Do you put your tongue in your left or right cheek while writing about being whipped into a frothy frenzy? Is the left cheek for parody and the right cheek for sarcasm?

I am left handed, but I don’t know my cheekedness.

(20) Till the Morning Comes? Isn't that kind of obscure?

I happen to like the Dead. That’s all.

Always took candy from strangers
    Didn't wanna get me no trade
    Never want to be like papa
    Working for the boss every night and day
    --"Happy", by the Rolling Stones (1972)
  • Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,550 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If a tree falls in the forest, and there is nobody there to observe it, does it fall to the right or to the left?
    TD
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options

<< <i>Also, I wanted to announce that Consuela is reporting back to work today!!! >>

Thank goodness. In all honesty your questions had gotten a little messy without her. I'm sure everything will be clean and tidy again.image
  • Options
    krankykranky Posts: 8,709 ✭✭✭
    I was all pumped to toss out a question but it was eerily like the one RYK already posited (<- not a typo).

New collectors, please educate yourself before spending money on coins; there are people who believe that using numismatic knowledge to rip the naïve is what this hobby is all about.

• Options
    numismanumisma Posts: 3,877 ✭✭✭✭

I have always wanted to ask this question:

Could the Slurpee Technician at 7-11 increase profitability by using his commodity channel index to establish a Slurpee ingredient hedge account by leveraging available materials from his vendors, thereby realizing an after-tax real rate of return on raw materials while depreciating said materials through an accelerated cost recovery system as outlined in the 7-11 customized capital asset pricing model for the finished product, and as such, greatly improving the company's opportunity cost of capital by utilizing a tax timing option to sell the asset and claim a loss for tax purposes or not sell the asset and defer the capital gains tax?

Or.......should he simply pull that little lever that makes the Slurpee stuff come out?
  • Options

RYK: Let's say that it is December 20, and there are three southern gold coins on the market that you really want to buy (Coins X, Y, and Z) that, for the sake of argument, are owned by Dealers A, B, and C, respectively, and have roughly the same value, x. Dealer A is your favorite dealer, Dealer B, is your second favorite dealer, and Dealer C is your third favorite dealer. Let us also assume that you only have enough money to buy one of the three coins, but you have a coin worth 2x (Coin L) that you can apply on the trade. You have a 20 percent profit position in coin L, a coin that you purchased on December 26 of the previous year. There is only one check left in your "secret checking account", and your wife watches the other account, and the mail, like a hawk. Dealer A does not trust Dealer B, Dealer B cannot stand Dealer C, and Dealer C is very jealous of Dealer A.

Longacre: Have the coins sent to dealer D on approval, have dealer D send them to me on approval, send the check and coin L to dealer D on January 1st.

I forgot to mention that dealer D is vacationing in Hawaii between Christmas and FUN and will not be available. image
  • Options
    topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I just looked at your other thread.

I have a question. Why do you have so many coin books? All you need is slabs.

• Options
    ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,538 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Longacre--

What percentage of questions do you already know the answer to, but ask anyway to stimulate discussion, controversey, or flaming on this board?
  • Options
    BlindedByEgoBlindedByEgo Posts: 10,754 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Who questions the questioner?
  • Options

<< <i>Longacre--

What percentage of questions do you already know the answer to, but ask anyway to stimulate discussion, controversey, or flaming on this board? >>

About 50%.
  • Options
    FairlanemanFairlaneman Posts: 10,404 ✭✭✭✭✭
    How many of your threads have been Bammed ?

Ken
  • Options

<< <i>How many of your threads have been Bammed ?

Ken >>

Only one that I know of.
  • Options
    I have a question for you:

If I sell my house for a hundered thousand dollars but require that the buyer pay me in $50.00 gold bullion pieces how much income should be reported on my 1099? The $100,000.00 amount or the melt value of the currency used for purchase?

I was also a middle child. image
    "It's not that the Irish are cynical. It's simply that they have a wonderful lack of respect for everything and everybody." - Brendan Behan

Proud Participant in Operation "Stone Holey" August 7, 2008
  • Options

<< <i>I have a question for you:

If I sell my house for a hundered thousand dollars but require that the buyer pay me in $50.00 gold bullion pieces how much income should be reported on my 1099? The $100,000.00 amount or the melt value of the currency used for purchase?

I was also a middle child. image >>

In most cases, a 1099 would be the wrong place to report it. image
  • Options
    You're the tax expert. I see 1099's on almost all real estate transactions. (although most people place the money right back into another house and therefore it remains unrealized gain) In any case, that question was the only interesting thing I can recall from my four hour a week required tax class in school.

I know it was a dangerous question to pose especially in these forums. You sidestepped it beautifully. image
    "It's not that the Irish are cynical. It's simply that they have a wonderful lack of respect for everything and everybody." - Brendan Behan

Proud Participant in Operation "Stone Holey" August 7, 2008
  • Options
    PistareenPistareen Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭
    Are Longacre's Spidey Senses tingling knowing that there are currently former ANR staffers in New York City?

When Dave Bowers gets a paper cut from an ancient tome, does Longacre have sympathetic pain?
  • Options

<< <i>Are Longacre's Spidey Senses tingling knowing that there are currently former ANR staffers in New York City?

When Dave Bowers gets a paper cut from an ancient tome, does Longacre have sympathetic pain? >>

Not surprisingly, the answer to both questions is, yes.
  • Options
    PistareenPistareen Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭
    I knew I could count on the psychic abilities of my coin buddy Longacre!

OK smart guy, just WHERE in the Stack's offices am I right now?
  • Options

<< <i>I knew I could count on the psychic abilities of my coin buddy Longacre!

OK smart guy, just WHERE in the Stack's offices am I right now? >>

I'll guess that you are right near the Mimeograph Machine -
  • Options

Next to the Tyrannosaurus Rex?
  • Options

<< <i>

I'll guess that you are right near the Mimeograph Machine - >>

Silly goose, CCU... he's standing near the telegraph and the tickertape. It's Stack's offices, you know. They would not be on the cutting edge with a mimeograph machine.
  • Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,550 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I have a question for you:

I was also a middle child. image >>

I know a coin dealer who during the 1979-80 runup paid his employees in U.S. gold $20's at face. Those who tried to declare their income to the IRS that way were chastised.
    TD
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    LokiLoki Posts: 898 ✭✭
    yes I have a the question for you mr longacres. I had always wondered .. Whassa you favorite Soup!? image
  • Options

<< <i>image
    yes I have a the question for you mr longacres. I had always wondered .. Whassa you favorite Soup!? image >>

Curried carrot.
  • Options
    Is Consuela still employed at the Longacre Estate, and has she had a raise since this thread was originally posted to the forum? If so, how much?
  • Options
    adamlaneusadamlaneus Posts: 6,969 ✭✭✭
    Okay. My turn.

Why do you hardly ever post pictures of coins?

When one sells a coin collection, there is always that 'last coin or coins' you hold on to until the end. For you, what is this coin? Why is it so special to you?

In 2006, you said that PCGS had made only one of your threads go poof. This is a good average and is something that everyone should strive for.
    My question is: How many threads of yours since then have gone poof?

Could you please explain just how happy you are about this thread getting a kick after a few years?
  • Options
    LotsoLuckLotsoLuck Posts: 3,786 ✭✭✭
    Old thread but I would like to hear the answer adamlaneus asked...

"Why do you hardly ever post pictures of coins?"
  • Options
    CoinosaurusCoinosaurus Posts: 9,614 ✭✭✭✭✭
    IIRC, Consuela and the Longacre household parted ways a long time ago. If there has been a replacement, Longacre has been keeping mum on the topic, which seems implausible.
  • Options
    adamlaneusadamlaneus Posts: 6,969 ✭✭✭
    Just one more question, sir.
    I really hope you don't mind.
    Just one more thing. Just a small question.

You see, forum member Becoka's house was egged on March 1st of this year.
    Do you remember where you were on that day?

• Options
    BillyKingsleyBillyKingsley Posts: 2,661 ✭✭✭✭
    If you could have all the coin knowlegde possible to have, but it meant you could never touch a coin again, would you take that knowledge?
    Billy Kingsley ANA R-3146356 Cardboard History // Numismatic History
  • Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
    When buying a latte do you order it extra frothy? MJ
    Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,333 ✭✭✭✭✭
    When did you get a title and why was there no poll?

Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    Dear Longacre,

If you could be any hue on the color spectrum, which one would you be and why? Please limit your answer to 500 words or less.

Lovely dimes, the liveliest coin, the one that really jingles. --Truman Capote
  • Options
    CoppercolorCoppercolor Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭
    There is one answer to a question that has eluded me for nine years.

Background: There is a man who was building a dam by hand across the Potomac River exactly one mile upriver of the American Legion Bridge near Washington DC. For background the man was about 45 or 50 at the time I first met him though I'd seen him and his work dozens of times leading up to our first encounter. The convesation revealed that he had been building the dam for 16 years. I had watched him for at least a part of those 16, he works naked, has long wispy hair and is balding, he has permanently dilated pupils. He pulls the rocks out of the bottom of the river and pulls them to the surface where he pushes them onto a red circular plastic sled, which floats the rock so he can stage it near the dam until such time as he finds the right place for it. It was 2000, and after 16 years he was 1/3 of the way across the entire Potomac and was contributing nicely to a pretty exciting rapid known as Stubblefield falls by concentrating the flow to the middle of the river. I was taking people fishing, which was my occupation at the time and as he waved me over to talk for the first time ever, I could feel the hairs tingle on the back of my neck at the same time that I saw them stand up on the neck of the fishermen sitting very closely in front of me. I was rowing. The fisherman in front began leaning way back as if to get further from the man as we got closer. Before I reveal the question, I should mention that my initial goal was to find out why he was building the dam. Far into the conversation I realized there were much more interesting topics than the purpose of the dam but after asking him directly why he was building the dam,in fine fashion, he asked me a question back "have you seen the watersnakes that live in the river?" to which I replied "yes" and he responded "Well, people aren't very nice to them, and they love hiding in this stone dam. Do you have any idea how many of those snakes have made this dam their home? I also asked him if the dam was created to catch fish to eat (because there are sub-dams and pools and walkways etc.) In the context of this guy standing in front of me naked building a dam in August, his answer was like a cool breeze "no he said, I like to shop at the supermarket, but I do eat 8 ounces of meat per day"

The conversation that spawns MY questions went approximately like this (abridged):

"Hello, I was wondering if I could tell you a little bit about my religion (without pause he continues) where I am the omnipotent immortal. You are all omnipotent immortals too. Together as omnipotent immortals we ask an infinite number of questions. But to this infinite number of questions there is one answer that satisfies all of these questions."

By the way, he was not immused when I asked him if I could call him O.I. for short.

This brings me to my two questions for Longacre:
    1) What is the single answer that satisfies the infinite number of questions
    2) What would you nickname this guy

He never did tell me what that one answere was...
    I'd like my copper well done please!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file