Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

1884 S SEATED DIME

bidaskbidask Posts: 13,865 ✭✭✭✭✭
Anybody know why this coin seems so scarce in high grade. Only one graded in 65 and one in 66 at PCGS. Whats the background on this date with over 500k mintage?
I manage money. I earn money. I save money .
I give away money. I collect money.
I don’t love money . I do love the Lord God.

Comments

• Options
    yea, most were put into circulation and no bags or rolls were kept
  • Options
    bidaskbidask Posts: 13,865 ✭✭✭✭✭

imageimage

Heritage description of this coin in April 2006:

Impressive Gem 1884-S Seated Liberty Dime

1884-S 10C MS65 PCGS. A fully lustrous Gem in an older green-label PCGS holder with speckled gold and iridescent toning over frosty surfaces. This is a scarce date in higher grades, and particularly elusive in Gem quality. Nearly all of the 564,969 coins struck went into circulation along the west coast, and few were saved. Population: 1 in 65, 1 finer (3/06).

Now 2 finer.......but I like the originality of this one......still own it.

Rarity 9.9 on PCGS coinfacts scale.
    I manage money. I earn money. I save money .
    I give away money. I collect money.
    I don’t love money . I do love the Lord God.

• Options
    seateddimeseateddime Posts: 6,169 ✭✭✭
    I have been able to "make" a MS64 PCGS/CAC which is the finest I have seen but there is a MS68!!! ATS.

These 1880's S mints are grossly under-rated.

If you want to have fun beyond the pop reports try and find an 1888-s in MS64 or better. The same MS64 was resubmitted over 10 times trying for a 65 - it's now a PCGS MS64/CAC. I paid $7500 for the MS65 PCGS coin I found which is now a PCGS/CAC MS65.

These are coins you really want to be sure are graded right. The difference in grades is very meaningful from 64/65 and 65/66.

They are far from common in gem but more available in MS63 or less.
    I seldom check PM's but do check emails often jason@seated.org

Buying top quality Seated Dimes in Gem BU and Proof.

Buying great coins - monster eye appeal only.
  • Options
    ebaybuyerebaybuyer Posts: 2,984 ✭✭✭
    the background is basically that the people of san francisco in the 1880's didn't bother to save brand new dimes. they went into circulation and were either worn out or lost. even nice AU coins are a prize when found. the same thing can be said of the 1886-S the 1885-s having a miniscule mintage is a prize in almost any condition.
    regardless of how many posts I have, I don't consider myself an "expert" at anything
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That 1884 is a great coin (discounting the tarnish).... very nice strike.. Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    Type2Type2 Posts: 13,985 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hoard the keys.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file