Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

6 down, 91 to go!!

Well, I got my second "dmpl doily", i.e. a deep mirror morgan in one of those old doily holders. They are a lot harder to find than you'd think. Only 95 more coins to complete the doily set. Mission impossible?
Listen. Strange women lying in ponds distributing swords is no basis for a system of government. Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony.
Will’sProoflikes

Comments

• Options
    JulioJulio Posts: 2,501
    This thread will self destruct in ...Mission Impossible.

You are off to a fantastic start. Should you complete your mission... Well you know the rest. image. jws
  • Options
    flaminioflaminio Posts: 5,664 ✭✭✭
    Great set idea. Yes, it's impossible to complete, but that doesn't spoil the thrill of the search at all. Good luck!
  • Options
    Completely impossible......but what a lot of fun trying....good luck on your quest!!!!
  • Options
    cool! I dont think I have ever seen a doily PCGS holder
  • Options
    MyqqyMyqqy Posts: 9,777
    I was wondering..... what made you decide to try and to a dmpl set in those holders? And do you think the dmpl grading for those holders is the same as the current dmpl grading from pcgs?
    My style is impetuous, my defense is impregnable !
  • Options
    TorinoCobra71TorinoCobra71 Posts: 8,023 ✭✭✭
    Mission Impossible = YES!

But I would love to be proven wrong!

Good Luck on your mission!

TorinoCobra71

• Options
    sweetwillietsweetwilliet Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭
    Well, I don't think anyone has ever tried it, so I thought it would be fun. I think the technical grades on these two holders are conservative relative to current standards, the 1887 would make dmpl today, but the 1900-o would probably only be a pl by today's standards.
    Listen. Strange women lying in ponds distributing swords is no basis for a system of government. Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony.
    Will’sProoflikes
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    OK.. what is a 'dolly' holder.. and why is it called that? Cheers, RickO
  • Options

<< <i>OK.. what is a 'dolly' holder.. and why is it called that? Cheers, RickO >>

RickO,

It's called a doily(d-o-i-l-y) holder, - from the design on the lable. Cheers, QuattrO image
    FULL Heads RULE!
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks much Quattro... Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    That's a cool idea, that'd be hard enough without regards to the holder!

Good luck! image

-Amanda

I'm a YN working on a type set!

My Buffalo Nickel Website Home of the Quirky Buffaloes Collection!

Proud member of the CUFYNA
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,837 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That is a scavenger hunt that you need to get lots of people involved with to help you. The question is : How many will do it for the sake of being friendly without pay ? If I ever see any I'll let you know where , but please send money image...just kidding. Good luck on this search. This is an interesting quest since most of these types have probably been cracked out or re-holdered long ago.
  • Options
    rec78rec78 Posts: 5,688 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Good luck!! a very long term project if possible at all.
  • Options
    Definitely a long term project. I started out with a regular morgan set, then started a pl set, which is about 40% complete. I saw the doily holders, found one in dmpl, and thought it would be really unique to collect as many as possible in pl/dmpl. I know a complete set is impossible, but will slowly build a complete pl/dmpl set with as many of these as possible. I have found through my few dealings with people here on the board that most here are in it for the fun/enjoyment and love to help out others in their search for coins. Anyhow, I'll post every time I find a new one (don't hold your breath, I've only found 2 so far). Thanks all for your posts, this is a lot of fun.
    Will’sProoflikes
  • Options
    A complete green-label set would be hard enough...doilies will be impossible unless an old set is
    unearthed - then the challenge might be in paying for such a set!

Good luck, though - and keep us informed as to your progress!

Ken
  • Options
    ShamikaShamika Posts: 18,760 ✭✭✭✭
    Clearly you purchased these two at the same time. The serial numbers indicate they were submitted to PCGS at the same time and thus likely came from an old collection that recently came to market.

To can't imagine a complete doily set could be possible, but I'll keep an eye out.

Buyer and seller of vintage coin boards!
  • Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,692 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Clearly you purchased these two at the same time. The serial numbers indicate they were submitted to PCGS at the same time and thus likely came from an old collection that recently came to market.

To can't imagine a complete doily set could be possible, but I'll keep an eye out. >>

I looked up other coins in that serial number range, and there's a bunch of 62-64 common date Morgans, so it appears you'll have to look elsewhere for any more DMPLs.
  • Options
    Clearly you purchased these two at the same time. The serial numbers indicate they were submitted to PCGS at the same time and thus likely came from an old collection that recently came to market.

I actually bought them about 6 months apart from different sellers. I noticed the exact same thing you did, that the serial numbers are very close, so I initially thought the same thing, maybe they're a bunch of dmpls in that range, but someone here was kind enough to search for us and found no more.
    Will’sProoflikes
  • Options
    Well, it has been over a year and finally I found a third pl/dmpl doily, here she is.

imageimage
    imageimage
    Will’sProoflikes
  • Options
    EdscoinEdscoin Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭
    Impossible to do? Well you have got the rest of your life and you will never run out of something to look for.
    ED
  • Options

<< <i>Definitely a long term project. I started out with a regular morgan set, then started a pl set, which is about 40% complete. I saw the doily holders, found one in dmpl, and thought it would be really unique to collect as many as possible in pl/dmpl. I know a complete set is impossible, but will slowly build a complete pl/dmpl set with as many of these as possible. I have found through my few dealings with people here on the board that most here are in it for the fun/enjoyment and love to help out others in their search for coins. Anyhow, I'll post every time I find a new one (don't hold your breath, I've only found 2 so far). Thanks all for your posts, this is a lot of fun. >>

How old are you now?

what age do you anticipate getting to in order to complete this little endeavor?

good luck tryin though.
  • Options
    I'm 34 right now, so I have a long time to complete this project. I am over 70% complete with my regular prooflike set and will acquire 1 or 2 more in the near future. These pl/dmpl doilies are really few and far between, and I know many don't exist in pl/dmpl, but will go as far as I can with it.image
    Will’sProoflikes
  • Options
    Well, nearly another year, and found my fourth pl/dmpl doily in my scavenger hunt, this time at David Lawrence. It is appropriately graded. Wow, these are tough to find!!

Will’sProoflikes
  • Options
    anablepanablep Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very nice start, but at this rate it will take you 93 more years (assuming 1 doily pl/dmpl per year).

I don't think I've ever seen one of those older doily holders in person and I'm sure you're looking all over the place.

Good luck.

I'm trying the same with the older, smaller anacs holders and I'm 80% done with 19 more morgans to go. No pl/dmpl restrictions but I am looking for rim toned ones; so I know how hard it is finding just the right coin that fits your niche.
    Always looking for attractive rim toned Morgan and Peace dollars in PCGS or (older) ANA/ANACS holders!

"Bongo hurtles along the rain soaked highway of life on underinflated bald retread tires."

~Wayne
  • Options
    BECOKABECOKA Posts: 16,957 ✭✭✭
    Well, as soon as you finish your normal set, I'm sure if enough money was thrown their way you could have PCGS go back to the old label for this set on a regrade or reslab.. image
  • Options
    blu62vetteblu62vette Posts: 11,901 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think this is just a real cool idea...
    http://www.bluccphotos.com" target="new">BluCC Photos Shows for onsite imaging: Nov Baltimore, FUN, Long Beach http://www.facebook.com/bluccphotos" target="new">BluCC on Facebook
  • Options
    ctf_error_coinsctf_error_coins Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I'm trying the same with the older, smaller anacs holders and I'm 80% done with 19 more morgans to go. No pl/dmpl restrictions but I am looking for rim toned ones; so I know how hard it is finding just the right coin that fits your niche. >>

As an Error Collector I have quite a few of the old ANACS little white slabs. No way I'm re-slabbing them as they are no longer made.

ErrorsOnCoins
  • Options
    DennisHDennisH Posts: 13,963 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There are a couple of Morgan dates for which PCGS has never graded a DMPL at all. There are a couple of other dates where the total pop. is nearly zero.

But still, this is an awesome challenge that is well worth a hearty, "good luck and may The Force be with you!"
    When in doubt, don't.
  • Options
    fcfc Posts: 12,789 ✭✭✭
    i have to think the DMPL part is what makes it impossible!

morgans were graded by the ton so i bet a set could be feasible
    without the DMPL.
  • Options

<< <i>i have to think the DMPL part is what makes it impossible!

morgans were graded by the ton so i bet a set could be feasible
    without the DMPL. >>

I think so, too. I have seen a few on ebay, usually there are 2 or so for sale there at any given time. I will carry this as far as I can, you never know when one may pop up.
    Will’sProoflikes
  • Options

<< <i> Mission impossible?
    >>

Yes.
  • Options
    bfjohnsonbfjohnson Posts: 537 ✭✭✭
    I think this thread may bring a few out that could cut the years down to around 90 years. image
    I love the idea and wish I had thought of it.
  • Options
    I sold a Doily Morgan on Ebay this year but it wasn't PL or DMPL..........
  • Options
    BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭
    PM sent for the location of a 1884-CC Morgan dollar doily image
    To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • Options
    InYHWHWeTrustInYHWHWeTrust Posts: 1,448 ✭✭✭
    Great idea! Wish you all the best in your search, no matter how impossible !!

I just embarked on an impossible project too and I'm a few (like 10) years older than you... I have a mentor who is way farther along than I'll probably ever get -- but having fun image

The thrill is in the chase-- and those old holders are cool image

Don
    Do your best to avoid circular arguments, as it will help you reason better, because better reasoning is often a result of avoiding circular arguments.
  • Options
    I just got my fifth dmpl/pl doily in the mail today as I returned from the beach. Got it off the bay, not a bad deal at all. The coin itself has some purple toning around the cap that is attractive, and a little haze in front of liberty's face, that is not quite so attractive, but not as bad in hand as in the pics. Anyway, another one down, I think I can finish this project before 2100 if I'm lucky.image

imageimage
    imageimage

And here they all are in one pic.

Will’sProoflikes
  • Options
    MisterBungleMisterBungle Posts: 2,308 ✭✭✭

I don't know if this set is possible, much less probable,
    but if by some miracle you do complete it, PCGS should
    buy it from you!!

~

"America suffers today from too much pluribus and not enough unum.".....Arthur Schlesinger Jr.

• Options
    Nice idea. I think itll be a real tough set to work on, as evident in 5 coins in several years. But, if you keep up the searching, as it looks like you are, youll get farther along than most expect.

The 1893-O is going to be a toughie for sure, not to mention pricey!
  • Options
    WalmannWalmann Posts: 2,806
    Kudos both on the great finds and the tenacity to keep at the quest.
  • Options
    I was going to do a MS Franklin Doily set, but like you have found out they are very difficult to find,
    A Morgan set, yes impossible but should be fun anyway...I gave up and changed to all OGHs....
    good luck...you have more odds of losing your mind trying than completing...image
  • Options
    BECOKABECOKA Posts: 16,957 ✭✭✭
    Coming along nicely. image
  • Options
    SeattleSlammerSeattleSlammer Posts: 9,959 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You've got more patience than me, that's for sure.
    Keep it up!
    I see A LOT of slabs in my travels, and I rarely, rarely come across a doily holder, let alone a PL/DMPL Morgan.

• Options
    itsnotjustmeitsnotjustme Posts: 8,777 ✭✭✭
    You will not be able to be selective for the grade. Those sure don't appear DMPL....
    Give Blood (Red Bags) & Platelets (Yellow Bags)!
  • Options

<< <i>You will not be able to be selective for the grade. Those sure don't appear DMPL.... >>

I think all of them would get pl today, my scans of course don't even come close to showing mirror depth. I think the 1900-o would only be pl today. The 1887 would likely make dmpl. The other 3 designated prooflike merit the designation. There is little contrast in these coins, hence they don't appear dmpl from the pics. My opinion does change a little over time, as I continually collect more pl's and dmpl's and have a better idea of what specifically PCGS is looking for for the designation.

I have had an interesting experience as of late. I have an 1891-s that to me seems a no-brainer dmpl. It was graded 62pl, and I sent it in for a regrade hoping for dmpl. I agreed with the 62 technical grade. It came back 63pl, so I am scratching my head on that one.
    Will’sProoflikes
  • Options
    anablepanablep Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Are you moving at a pace you expected or are you going slower than you had hoped?

I'm impressed you're still at it. I'm rooting for you; keep us informed.
    Always looking for attractive rim toned Morgan and Peace dollars in PCGS or (older) ANA/ANACS holders!

"Bongo hurtles along the rain soaked highway of life on underinflated bald retread tires."

~Wayne
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,198 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i> Mission impossible? >>

Maybe, unless you live 300 years and no more doilies get cracked out in that time. A worthy quest, though.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options

<< <i>Are you moving at a pace you expected or are you going slower than you had hoped?

I'm impressed you're still at it. I'm rooting for you; keep us informed. >>

Yes and yes. I am going about the pace I expected, knowing that there are very few of these around. I had hoped and still hope to uncover a small stash at some point. In reality, I'm betting I can probably only find 20 or so different dates over the years, but will go as far I can with it. I have also thought about doing a complete set of doilies with as many pl's and dmpl's as possible, but haven't commited to that idea yet. With so few of these around, I usually have funds around in case one pops up somewhere.
    Will’sProoflikes
  • Options
    Well, got another. This one a little quicker than the others, thanks to joebb21 for tracking it down and to Northeast Numismatics. There are better pics than mine on their website if you wanted to look. Here are mine, it is properly graded. The mirrors on it are no doubt dmpl, marks in the obverse fields keep it at 63.

imageimage
    imageimage
    Will’sProoflikes
  • Options
    SeattleSlammerSeattleSlammer Posts: 9,959 ✭✭✭✭✭
    nice 81-cc......
    much tougher date in dmpl, let alone the double dmpl doily
    (double dmpl doily.....has a nice ring)

ps---that one looks like it would probably go dmpl today at PCGS, too
  • Options
    Not impossible just expensive

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji