Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Well, Well...Lookie at what's coming up at FUN!!! 1927-D Saint! Should I snipe it??

This is a VERY interesting coin. It has a hit right across the breast, yet the surfaces are simply amazing. I guess one could make the case that this is an extreme GEM-preserved coin that had one mishap. It certainly has the qualities of a coin that was taken right from the dies. I know this coin and it's history. It's interesting...

Hummmm. Wonder who the owner of this will be? image

imageimage

Comments

• Options
    mgoodm3mgoodm3 Posts: 17,497 ✭✭✭
    You going to sell your soul and everything else to buy this one?
    coinimaging.com/my photography articles Check out the new macro lens testing section
  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,486 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It won't be me. That is one is WAY out of my league, if I had that kind of money to spend, I'd be looking for a small eagle $5 or $10 gold piece.

It's interesting to note that I have a 1907 St. Gaudens $20 gold in a PCGS MS-65 holder that has blazing luster but a hit on the reverse. Seeing this piece with mark on the obverse in an obvious place makes me a bit more comfortable with my coin.
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    saintgurusaintguru Posts: 7,724 ✭✭✭

<< <i>You going to sell your soul and everything else to buy this one? >>

That paid for my last coin.

Can I sell my essence?image
  • Options
    mgoodm3mgoodm3 Posts: 17,497 ✭✭✭
    Souls just ain't worth what they used to.
    coinimaging.com/my photography articles Check out the new macro lens testing section
  • Options
    RichieURichRichieURich Posts: 8,372 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great Saint, SaintGuru! I was wondering when you would be commenting on it!

An authorized PCGS dealer, and a contributor to the Red Book.

• Options
    CladiatorCladiator Posts: 17,920 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Can I sell my essence? >>

Bottle it and sell it as a chemical weapon image
  • Options
    ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,542 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That's a newer holder. Was the coin always a 66?
  • Options
    RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭

<< <i>That's a newer holder. Was the coin always a 66? >>

Probably a reholder or regrade attempt.

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    morgansforevermorgansforever Posts: 8,428 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Saint guru, your going to be the owner. It's only a couple milion
    World coins FSHO Hundreds of successful BST transactions U.S. coins FSHO
  • Options
    ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,542 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

Russ, NCNE >>

Yeah, it has an old cert number. The gash probably keeps it out of a 67 holder, but the coin is pristine otherwise.

• Options
    What a simple slab label. 1927-D, $20, MS66.
    BUT----------------

That is the most mouth-watering Saint I have ever seen a pic of. KILLER to the 10th power!!! Oh, My, God...
    The Accumulator - Dark Lloyd of the Sith

• Options

I really doubt that it ever was an MS-65. The luster is just too strong despite the mark on the bust. But the mark on the bust precludes an MS-67 IMO UNLESS the grading stardards get lowered.
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    tradedollarnuttradedollarnut Posts: 20,147 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I really doubt that it ever was an MS-65. The luster is just too strong despite the mark on the bust. But the mark on the bust precludes an MS-67 IMO UNLESS the grading stardards get lowered.

I hear tell it was an NGC MS65. But how can that be since we all know how loose NGC grades.... image
  • Options

<< <i>I really doubt that it ever was an MS-65. The luster is just too strong despite the mark on the bust. But the mark on the bust precludes an MS-67 IMO UNLESS the grading stardards get lowered.

I hear tell it was an NGC MS65. But how can that be since we all know how loose NGC grades.... image >>

That's right, the PCGS coin IS always better. image
  • Options
    Aegis3Aegis3 Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

I really doubt that it ever was an MS-65. The luster is just too strong despite the mark on the bust. But the mark on the bust precludes an MS-67 IMO UNLESS the grading stardards get lowered. >>

"UNLESS" is a strange way of writing "UNTIL."
    --

Ed. S.

(EJS)
  • Options

Anyone want to hazard a guess what the winning bid will be?
  • Options
    saintgurusaintguru Posts: 7,724 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

Russ, NCNE >>

This coin..............was an .....................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................NGC65.image

One of the smartest sharpest dealers bought this and saw something that was quite obvious to him. He was right. I guess the overall GEMMY state of the coin was so great that the hit was just not a major factor. No I've seen this coin in hand. The lustre in the picture is a little flashier than in hand, but it is a spectacular coin! Not quite as nice as the MORSE 67, but this will cost $2 million+, IMO.

I'm looking fi=or stuff to but so I can scoop it. I'm gonna use Auction Sniper.image
  • Options
    CoxeCoxe Posts: 11,139
    SNIPE IT? LOL. That cannot be sniped. It will go to the floor and bid properly. (I realize it was in jest.) Best of luck in getting it, Jay. Unless I go temporarily (or permanently) insane, I won't engage you in that bidding war.
    Select Rarities -- DMPLs and VAMs
    NSDR - Life Member
    SSDC - Life Member
    ANA - Pay As I Go Member
  • Options
    AnalystAnalyst Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭
    As this 1927-D was part of the McDougal collection when it was consigned to a Jan. 2006 auction, I refer to it as the McDougal 1927-D. Kevin Lipton was the successful bidder in 2006 and he consigned it to the Jan. 2007 Platinum Night 1 event, in which it did not sell. Between Jan. 2006 and Jan. 2007, its certified grade increased.

Much information regarding 1927-D Saints may be found in a recent article of mine in Numismatic News weekly.

CSL-Muller 1927-D Saint Sells During Platinum Night
    "In order to understand the scarce coins that you own or see, you must learn about coins that you cannot afford." -Me
  • Options
    fivecentsfivecents Posts: 11,207 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That is a big hit in a central focal area, but damn that coin has POP!!!image

Just do it SG!
  • Options
    northcoinnorthcoin Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>As this 1927-D was part of the McDougal collection when it was consigned to a Jan. 2006 auction, I refer to it as the McDougal 1927-D. Kevin Lipton was the successful bidder in 2006 and he consigned it to the Jan. 2007 Platinum Night 1 event, in which it did not sell. Between Jan. 2006 and Jan. 2007, its certified grade increased.

Much information regarding 1927-D Saints may be found in a recent article of mine in Numismatic News weekly.

CSL-Muller 1927-D Saint Sells During Platinum Night >>

So this coin started out as a NGC MS65 then went to a PCGS MS66 and is now a PCGS MS67. Hope the current owner is enjoying the Emperor's New Clothes.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file