Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Opinions on Possible Submissions:

I don't see this type of thread too often. If they aren't allowed please let me know. But anywho, I've got these three earlier copper pieces and am considering submitting them for grading. Do they look to be damaged or cleaned in any way? The coins were purchased in the mid 70's by my father at a local show for list price. They were stored in staple 2x2's. Just a year a go I took them out and put them in Safe Flips. The little white spots seen on some of them are actually there. I think they are a result of the Safe Flip. Does this come off the coin without damage?

Scott Hopkins
-YN Currently Collecting & Researching Colonial World Coins, Especially Spanish Coins, With a Great Interest in WWII Militaria.

My Ebay!

Comments

• Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,915 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Send them all Scott. They look like they'll make PCGS plastic. And YES, this is the type of thread that is accepted. Chances are: You won't get a lot of responses because you didn't start gossip about someone or someplace.

Thanks for the posting of COINS.

Joe
  • Options

<< <i>Send them all Scott. They look like they'll make PCGS plastic. And YES, this is the type of thread that is accepted. Chances are: You won't get a lot of responses because you didn't start gossip about someone or someplace.

Thanks for the posting of COINS.

Joe >>

Thanks Joe. I have some mint state, slightly toned 60's and 70's JFK's that we're thinking about submitting too. About twenty of them actually. I'll post pics of them later.
    Scott Hopkins
    -YN Currently Collecting & Researching Colonial World Coins, Especially Spanish Coins, With a Great Interest in WWII Militaria.

My Ebay!
  • Options
    They look like pretty nice coins, but I don't understand why you would want to spend $ to have them graded. They do not appear to be the type of coins whose "value" would be noticeably enhanced by having then certified.
  • Options
    jdimmickjdimmick Posts: 9,609 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Based on the photo's, they all look PCGSable.

The 1839 Vf-25

the 1845 looks vf-30, but may get knocked back a point becuase of being dark? 20- 25?

1851 Xf-40

• Options

<< <i>They look like pretty nice coins, but I don't understand why you would want to spend $ to have them graded. They do not appear to be the type of coins whose "value" would be noticeably enhanced by having then certified. >>

Well, it isn't my wishes. My father doesn't know too much about coins. However, we see this as a way to keep them at their current condition for years to come. It's not so much to make huge amounts of money. It's just to preserve them. He also likes the reputation of a good third party grading service giving their opinion on his coins.
    Scott Hopkins

My Ebay!
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>They look like pretty nice coins, but I don't understand why you would want to spend $ to have them graded. They do not appear to be the type of coins whose "value" would be noticeably enhanced by having then certified. >>

Well, it isn't my wishes. My father doesn't know too much about coins. However, we see this as a way to keep them at their current condition for years to come. It's not so much to make huge amounts of money. It's just to preserve them. He also likes the reputation of a good third party grading service giving their opinion on his coins. >>

If preservation is the goal, that can be accomplished in a number of ways, each of which is very economical compared to the cost of having the coins graded.image
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,915 ✭✭✭✭✭

David Hall typed the same things Mark. This advice saved me thousands of dollars in submissions, too image I would have sent Statehood quarters in by BULK, believe it. (he says: If it ain't worth a hundy, it's a personal choice but he wouldn't do it.. Paraphrasing, of course)

If you discourage your customers from shopping, they just might take your advice !
    On the same token, Scott's got classics, not moderns.

Scott, If those Kennedy's don't make a superior grade, well,....
    Let me open up the debate here:

It's a personal choice Scott. You are wise to post the pictures and ask. I can say that much. YOu might do well to shoot copies of the pictures of the Kennedys you hope to submit to Russ for evaluation before submitting.

Of course, if I were totally inebriated on kool aid, I'd say, send them all in, but I do know why Mr Feld posted his comment. Not to dissuade, but to educate.

kudos Mark
  • Options
    RYKRYK Posts: 35,791 ✭✭✭✭✭

I agree. They are nice coins that should be kept raw. Save the grading fees and use them to buy another nice large cent.
  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,534 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think that the second cent, the 1845, will get a body bag for corrosion. The 1839 cent will grade, but it's not worth enough to make slabbing worthwhile. The 1851 half cent is one the fence. It should grade AU-55 or 58, but slabbing it is marginal.

As for preservation, plastic holders, like slabs are not great for copper because they are moisture traps. Changes in temperature and humidity can cause moisture to condensate in the holder, which can promote corrosion. Envelops and cloth liners are much better for copper.
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    dorkkarldorkkarl Posts: 12,692 ✭✭✭
    why in the HE11 would you spend good $$$ for plastic holders for these coins??? SAVE YOUR $$$ FOR COINS, not pla$tic!

sheesshhhhh

K S
  • Options
    RichieURichRichieURich Posts: 8,378 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

Well, it isn't my wishes. My father doesn't know too much about coins. However, we see this as a way to keep them at their current condition for years to come. It's not so much to make huge amounts of money. It's just to preserve them. He also likes the reputation of a good third party grading service giving their opinion on his coins. >>

Intercept Shield holders will keep the coins in their current condition for a lot less $$.

An authorized PCGS dealer, and a contributor to the Red Book.

• Options
    JoesMaNameJoesMaName Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭

<< <i>why in the HE11 would you spend good $$$ for plastic holders for these coins??? SAVE YOUR $$$ FOR COINS, not pla$tic!

sheesshhhhh

K S >>

Those are all nice coins the third is by far the best and could make AU but Karl's probably right. It strikes me as a sign of problems in the hobby, that while few would slab these 150 year old pieces of United States history, there are plenty of folk spending good money on submitting and buying Certified "high grade" (69&70) coins struck last week in the millions...
    I'm not against collecting moderns in any way, I love them but slabbing one perfect coin out of 1000 perfect coins as a 69 and the rest as 67s seems like so much marketing hype by the 3rd party graders.
    Paul - saved by
    The Fireman...

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file