Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

1934 Lincoln downgrade

drwstr123drwstr123 Posts: 7,028 ✭✭✭✭✭
Just got it back. It's now PCGS MS64RB from NGC MS65RB and rightly so.

Comments

• Options
    thebeavthebeav Posts: 3,758 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd rather have it in a 65 holder.....NGC or otherwise.....
    Do you really submit in hopes for a downgrade ?
  • Options
    looks like it has a few pretty hard knicks. I'm actually kinda surprised it made even a MS64
  • Options
    WoodenJeffersonWoodenJefferson Posts: 6,491 ✭✭✭✭
    I may be kinda dumb, but which one is which?

PCGS top or bottom pix, for sure that is?

Chat Board Lingo

"Keep your malarkey filter in good operating order" -Walter Breen
  • Options
    roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    And someday back in an NGC 65 holder.....and maybe eventually cross back into PCGS 65 again. And so the cycle goes on.
    PCGS must realize that a lot of downgraded coins can come back to them again for upgrade shots. This one doesn't appear to gross as a MS65 even if not fully worthy.

roadrunner
    Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,305 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I may be kinda dumb, but which one is which?

PCGS top or bottom pix, for sure that is? >>

No NGC pics....just different angles/lighting of PCGS pics

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options
    coinguy1coinguy1 Posts: 13,485
    If you wanted one in a PCGS holder why didn't you sell the one in the NGC 65 holder as it was and buy one in a PCGS holder? I don't understand the reasoning in accepting a lower grade from PCGS for such a coin. By the way, from the images provided, I'm not convinced that the coin deserved a 64 instead of a 65.
  • Options
    ShamikaShamika Posts: 18,761 ✭✭✭✭
    The strike is weak, but I love the color.

Buyer and seller of vintage coin boards!
  • Options

<< <i>If you wanted one in a PCGS holder why didn't you sell the one in the NGC 65 holder as it was and buy one in a PCGS holder? I don't understand the reasoning in accepting a lower grade from PCGS for such a coin. By the way, from the images provided, I'm not convinced that the coin deserved a 64 instead of a 65. >>

Well, first of all, I love the color. Two Lincolns I haven't been able to adequately capture, this and a 27S. Second, when I deceide to sell, it will do better as a PCGS 64 than a NGC 65. It did deserve the downgrade, didn't it?
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>If you wanted one in a PCGS holder why didn't you sell the one in the NGC 65 holder as it was and buy one in a PCGS holder? I don't understand the reasoning in accepting a lower grade from PCGS for such a coin. By the way, from the images provided, I'm not convinced that the coin deserved a 64 instead of a 65. >>

Well, first of all, I love the color. Two Lincolns I haven't been able to adequately capture, this and a 27S. Second, when I deceide to sell, it will do better as a PCGS 64 than a NGC 65. It did deserve the downgrade, didn't it? >>

Loving the color is a good reason to keep the coin. I would be be surprised if you will do better with a PCGS 64 than an NGC 65, however. As mentioned previously, from the images provided, I'm not convinced that the coin deserved a 64 instead of a 65.

• Options

<< <i>If you wanted one in a PCGS holder why didn't you sell the one in the NGC holder as it was and buy one in a PCGS holder? >>

I've never subscribed to this theory.

I'd always buy a coin I like whether its raw or in any TPG holder and then keep it as is, crack it or cross it as I see fit.

The notion that you should dump a (in this case) 'NGC coin' and replace it with a 'PCGS coin' suggests that these are all interchangeable widgits that differ only by the storage device in which they are contained.

If thats true, I'd suggest you are either collecting the wrong coins or collecting the right coins in the wrong way.

By the way, I really like the look of that 1934 Lincoln.

• Options
    LeeGLeeG Posts: 12,162
    Nice example. It looks right in a 64 holder.
  • Options
    ziggy29ziggy29 Posts: 18,668 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I've never subscribed to this theory.

I'd always buy a coin I like whether its raw or in any TPG holder and then keep it as is, crack it or cross it as I see fit.

The notion that you should dump a (in this case) 'NGC coin' and replace it with a 'PCGS coin' suggests that these are all interchangeable widgits that differ only by the storage device in which they are contained. >>

Of course, the thought of cracking out the coin you like just to get it in the "right" holder tends to de-emphasize the coin as well, IMO. It starts becoming "plastic collecting" as much as coin collecting.
  • Options
    Looks like a 65....for those thinking it might not even be a 64......please go to the Heritage archives and pull up high res scans of MS63 - MS65 PCGS coins and compare this example........certainly looks like a 65 to these eyes. image
  • Options
    Why slab it in the first place? It is worth about 20 bucks and you more than doubled that with slabbing costs.
  • Options
    thebeavthebeav Posts: 3,758 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I would be be surprised if you will do better with a PCGS 64 than an NGC 65, >>

I would be too !
  • Options
    "Of course, the thought of cracking out the coin you like just to get it in the "right" holder tends to de-emphasize the coin as well, IMO. It starts becoming "plastic collecting" as much as coin collecting. "

Just got in.... I'll say this, I buy and sell to improve my collection. This coin is beautiful and a 64. If I go to sell it, I'd rather say it's a beautiful 64 than a crappy 65. As a fact, I crossed a NGC MS67RD Richmond pediree to a PCGS MS65RD. It was a joke to be graded that high and again, here's a really crappy 67 up for sale doesn't make me want to bid. As far as the other Xovers, I did very well.

• Options
    <<As a fact, I crossed a NGC MS67RD Richmond pediree to a PCGS MS65RD. It was a joke to be graded that high..>>

Why did you buy it, as opposed to a coin you thought was accurately graded, then?
  • Options

<< <i><<As a fact, I crossed a NGC MS67RD Richmond pediree to a PCGS MS65RD. It was a joke to be graded that high..>>

Why did you buy it, as opposed to a coin you thought was accurately graded, then? >>

I bought it on Fleabay, as you know it's a crapshoot. Put it this way, I know who sold a really crappy 67, but when or if I sell it, that won't be said of me.
  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,489 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes, I've seen fairly common date Lincoln cents in MS-65 holders that had more marks than this piece. The way things are going these days, MS-65 for this kind of stuff has almost become a low grade. I've seen a few too many undeserved MS-66s for my taste.
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file