Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

I got grades today NOT FIRST STRIKE

stmanstman Posts: 11,352 ✭✭✭✭✭
This is huge. I sent this 1807 large stars O-114 (tougher variety) in a NGC 40 holder for cross to pcgs. One coin, no set-up coins, no other coins and BAM, it crossed. I'm so happy, I, like many of you just like the look of the pcgs plastic better Heh heh And since the buyer will pay much more for it now has nothing to do with it. I crossed it for the people.imageimage Got it back today.... hey it does look better with new clothes on. hahaha OK, as you were.

Please... Save The Stories, Just Answer My Questions, And Tell Me How Much!!!!!

Comments

• Options
    FatManFatMan Posts: 8,977
    Nice NOT FIRST STRIKE™image

• Options
    JRoccoJRocco Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hey--- I think it DOES look nicer now..........

DAMN...........

I would now pay more for it than I would have before....

Some coins are just plain "Interesting"
  • Options
    Ooops, that's the image in the NGC holder. The coin HAS changed now, trust me.image Darn, now I have to get a completely different image of the coin.
  • Options
    LeianaLeiana Posts: 4,349
    What do you mean by set up coin?

Nice bust half! image

-Amanda

I'm a YN working on a type set!

My Buffalo Nickel Website Home of the Quirky Buffaloes Collection!

Proud member of the CUFYNA
  • Options
    ziggy29ziggy29 Posts: 18,668 ✭✭✭
    Maybe it was a first strike. It just that no one has seen the coin in an envelope with a January 1807 postmark. image
  • Options

<< <i>What do you mean by set up coin? >>

I rarely send a coin in. I had a dealer do it for me. Some folks like to send in other coins of lesser quality or different quality or whateverimage and call them set-up coins. Now next, I have a couple that I don't think will cross, will send them with a few that should.image Seems like they give a couple, and shut down a couple. Truthfully, I felt sure this would and am just joking about it here. image Or, if I want to give them more money.... the next step is send it in for grade review and hope for a bump up. Gotta love it.
  • Options

<< <i>What do you mean by set up coin?

Nice bust half! image

-Amanda >>

amanda, setup coins are ones you through in in front of the coin you want to look good. one or two ratty looking coins and when they get to your target coin it looks great!!! get it? image
    my ebay items BST transactions/swaps/giveaways with: Tiny, raycyca,mrpaseo, Dollar2007,Whatafind, Boom, packers88, DBSTrader2, 19Lyds, Mar327, pontiacinf, ElmerFusterpuck.
  • Options
    ziggy29ziggy29 Posts: 18,668 ✭✭✭

<< <i>setup coins are ones you through in in front of the coin you want to look good. one or two ratty looking coins and when they get to your target coin it looks great!!! get it? image >>

Just another way slabbing has become a "game" and has created problems that didn't exist before slabbing.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>What do you mean by set up coin?

Nice bust half! image

-Amanda >>

amanda, setup coins are ones you through in in front of the coin you want to look good. one or two ratty looking coins and when they get to your target coin it looks great!!! get it? image >>

Sounds pretty silly... a coin should stand on its own merits. image

Thanks for explaining, guys. image

-Amanda

• Options
    19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,475 ✭✭✭✭
    Yes, it does sound silly but then the crack out game is just as silly which only underscores the fact that grading is not an exact science.
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options

<< <i>Sounds pretty silly... a coin should stand on its own merits. >>

Agreed, and this one did just that.image
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Sounds pretty silly... a coin should stand on its own merits. >>

Agreed, and this one did just that.image >>

It sure did! image

-Amanda

• Options
    TonedCoinTraderTonedCoinTrader Posts: 2,765 ✭✭✭
    Nice Crust on you Bust Steve! image

Toned Coins for sale @ tonedcointrader.com
  • Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,741 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sincere congratulations on finally making this coin worthy to own after 199 years of underachievement.image
    Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options
    CladiatorCladiator Posts: 17,920 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Sincere congratulations on finally making this coin worthy to own after 199 years of underachievement.image >>

• Options
    Stman, seeing as how your coin was not a "First Strike", I believe this thread is OTimage, but congratulations, anyway.
  • Options
    123cents123cents Posts: 7,178 ✭✭✭
    Real nice bust half. Congratulations.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file