Home U.S. Coin Forum

WOO HOO!!!! Scored number 13 for the Birthmark Die hoard!

RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭
Heritage NGC MS67UCAM 1967 SMS Birthmark Die Kennedy.

Yeehaw! Man, it has been an AGONIZING wait for that puppy! I've been watching it since it was in preview about six weeks ago! image

I'm doing a happy dance!

Russ, NCNE

Comments

• LeianaLeiana Posts: 4,349
    Cool! image

It fun to get something you've been waiting for. image

-Amanda

I'm a YN working on a type set!

My Buffalo Nickel Website Home of the Quirky Buffaloes Collection!

Proud member of the CUFYNA
  • CladiatorCladiator Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Waiting on Heritage auctions that are online seemingly months before bidding time is not fun. Nice score image
  • WoodenJeffersonWoodenJefferson Posts: 6,491 ✭✭✭✭
    I know, the wait can be agonizing.

Congrats on a fine SMS
    Chat Board Lingo

"Keep your malarkey filter in good operating order" -Walter Breen
  • FatManFatMan Posts: 8,977
    This thread is worthless without pictures... of the happy dance, that is.image
  • BikingnutBikingnut Posts: 3,365 ✭✭✭
    So, what's a birthmark die Kennedy?

Dennis
    US Navy CWO3 retired. 12/81-09/04

Looking for PCGS AU58 Washington's, 32-63.
  • krankykranky Posts: 8,709 ✭✭✭
    Congrats on that score, Russ!

New collectors, please educate yourself before spending money on coins; there are people who believe that using numismatic knowledge to rip the naïve is what this hobby is all about.

• coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,721 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Congrats... the presence of felix the cat makes up for the dance thing...

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• StrikeOutXXXStrikeOutXXX Posts: 3,350 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice dothead Russ.

------------------------------------------------------------

"You Suck Award" - February, 2015

Discoverer of 1919 Mercury Dime DDO - FS-101
  • BikingnutBikingnut Posts: 3,365 ✭✭✭
    Okay, now I see it.

US Navy CWO3 retired. 12/81-09/04

Looking for PCGS AU58 Washington's, 32-63.
  • RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Nice dothead Russ. >>

It's not dothead, buttnugget!

Russ, NCNE

<< <i>

<< <i>Nice dothead Russ. >>

It's not dothead, buttnugget!

Russ, NCNE >>

Didn't that win Marty's Poll? image
    It's still nice no matter what you call it...

• RichieURichRichieURich Posts: 8,359 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Congrats, Russ! Good things come to those who wait. Sometimes (or should I say smoetimes).

An authorized PCGS dealer, and a contributor to the Red Book.

• WingsruleWingsrule Posts: 2,977 ✭✭✭✭
    Sooooooooooo....13 out of how many? Any estimates out there?
  • Oh.... image

<< <i>Sooooooooooo....13 out of how many? Any estimates out there? >>

It's likely that less than 500 examples exist that clearly show the Birthmark, and that's only if they re-worked the die a few times. If they used it without reworking and discarded it, (because they discovered the flaw), there'd be no more than 100 or so. The cameo contrast on the SMS coins diminished quickly with each succeeding strike.

Russ, NCNE
  • WOW--I'm excited for you!
  • LeeGLeeG Posts: 12,162
    Looks like a very nice example. It looks like it might clean up for a better grade tooimage

<< <i>WOW--I'm excited for you! >>

Russ, NCNE
  • robertprrobertpr Posts: 6,862 ✭✭✭
    You've really slipped Russ, you're buying slabbed stuff now?

You DO know there's not supposed to be a two way market for this Modern Crap, right?

<< <i>You DO know there's not supposed to be a two way market for this Modern Crap, right? >>

Well, maybe I can sell it to Rick Tomaska. He has one listed on eBay right now with a BIN of $1900. image

Russ, NCNE
  • RichieURichRichieURich Posts: 8,359 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Russ, only 7 more for a roll!

An authorized PCGS dealer, and a contributor to the Red Book.

• Russ,

Is that a double profile on the chin / neck?image
  • Wolf359Wolf359 Posts: 7,653 ✭✭✭
    13 known or you've cherrypicked 13 now?

Either way, you suck! And I did see that question to Ron Guth in an attempt to quadruple your value overnight. No fair!
  • richardshipprichardshipp Posts: 5,647 ✭✭✭
    Nice Score Russ.

Mine, mine, alllllllll mmmmiiiiiinnnnneeeeee
  • PhillyJoePhillyJoe Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭✭
    Whatever your niche, the chase is "half" the fun. (Get it "half", oh, never mind)

The coins for the SMS sets were made in San Francisco, the dies came from Philadelphia. The mint keeps very good counters on how many coins were made with each die. I would imagine this die has a shorter run than most, assuming the defect was corrected or the die replaced. In the die log, comments are made if a die is replaced early, such as "cracked" or "broken". The information may be available at the San Francisco Mint Archives which are open to the public. Just ask to see Records Group 104, 1967 Correspondence.

James Wiles wrote the definitive book on Kennedys and he never came across this one! I had one of these in deep cameo (and didn't know it) before I sold my SMS coins (my seller got a great price for mine) in my pursuit of collecting every 1964 Kennedy deep cameo proof every made.

Russ has OCD and we should be supportive. A terrible disease which can strike without warning and attack collectors no matter what they collect. Hope I never contract the disorder,image

Joe
    The Philadelphia Mint: making coins since 1792. We make money by making money. Now in our 225th year thanks to no competition. image
    And, with this addition, the stash so far:

PCGS MS67DCAM
    PCGS MS66DCAM (3)
    PCGS MS65DCAM
    NGC MS67UCAM (2)
    PCGS MS67CAM
    NGC MS67CAM
    PCGS MS66CAM (3)
    RAW MS64CAM

Russ, NCNE
  • BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Coingrats!

sounds like you are "the supply" for these, sometime in the future. ever sold one yet?

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

<< <i>ever sold one yet? >>

Not one of my own. Did sell one for a consignor. I would have bought it from him myself, but I was short of coin funds at the time. It did go to a good home, though - my main competition for these.

Russ, NCNE
  • MadMartyMadMarty Posts: 16,697 ✭✭✭
    Very nice dothead Butt nugget!!
    It is not exactly cheating, I prefer to consider it creative problem solving!!!

• TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,796 ✭✭✭✭✭
    congrats, Russ.

How rare on the rare scale of Kennedys is this one ?

I was always intriqued by the Doubled Die 74 D and it was the one in this series that I always searched for, having bought and sold several and currently holding only one in PCGS MS63.
    after arriving here a year or so ago, I started reading about the accented hair and now this birthmarked one.
    Just curious about it's scarcity.

Joe
  • cladkingcladking Posts: 28,307 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>congrats, Russ.

How rare on the rare scale of Kennedys is this one ?

I was always intriqued by the Doubled Die 74 D and it was the one in this series that I always searched for, having bought and sold several and currently holding only one in PCGS MS63.
    after arriving here a year or so ago, I started reading about the accented hair and now this birthmarked one.
    Just curious about it's scarcity.

Joe >>

It's not so much the scarcity of this one as it is the fact that this die pair made many
    of the best struck cameo coins. I haven't seen enough to make a meaningful esti-
    mate of the number available but am confident that it's far under 1%.

The frost wore off these very quickly and few if any were refrosted.
    Tempus fugit.
  • robertprrobertpr Posts: 6,862 ✭✭✭
    my main competition for these

Nice try, Russ, but I doubt you'll be able to stir up demand that easily.

<< <i>after arriving here a year or so ago, I started reading about the accented hair and now this birthmarked one.
    Just curious about it's scarcity. >>

Far more scarce than the Accented Hair. In fact, in all my searching I've found only a single example of the Birthmark Die raw in a set. All the others I bought already graded - although most are in new higher graded holders now. image

Russ, NCNE

<< <i>my main competition for these

Nice try, Russ, but I doubt you'll be able to stir up demand that easily. >>

I was referring to another forum member who's also chasing them. Of course, I'm kicking his butt so far. image

Russ, NCNE
  • TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,796 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>my main competition for these

Nice try, Russ, but I doubt you'll be able to stir up demand that easily.

image >>

image robert...

I heard this same line about the 55 doubled die, the 72 doubled die cents, and most recently.... the speared bison and the extra leaf Wisconsin quarters image

edit to put the C in Wisconsin image

<< <i>I was referring to another forum member who's also chasing them. Of course, I'm kicking his butt so far. image >>

Yea, but doesn't he have more inverted MM Kennedy's than you?

Is there really just the two of you who intentionally collect these? image

<< <i><< I was referring to another forum member who's also chasing them. Of course, I'm kicking his butt so far. >>

Yea, but doesn't he have more inverted MM Kennedy's than you? >>

Wrong forum member.

Russ, NCNE

<< <i>Wrong forum member. >>

My bad - I thought Marty was trying to get PCGS to call it a Dothead Kennedy before you got PCGS to call it the Birthmark Die Variety because he has the other half of the known population and he wanted his name on the slabs when they decide to slab them.

(Save the reply Russ - I know... it's not a Dothead Butt Nuggett) image

Marty only has one paltry example. image

Russ, NCNE
  • That makes you a Major Marketer of Dot-Heads.......
    ......Larry........image
  • BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    so let me get this straight: there's a "birthmark" on his hair?

aren't those usually found on the skin? image

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

<< <i>so let me get this straight: there's a "birthmark" on his hair?

aren't those usually found on the skin? >>

No hair grows there because of the birthmark. It was pre-transplant.

Russ, NCNE
  • TorinoCobra71TorinoCobra71 Posts: 8,020 ✭✭✭
    Nice Pickup, ButtNugget. Now when you gonna come off of that 69-S DCAM that I wanna buy?

imageimageimage

TorinoCobra71

<< <i>Now when you gonna come off of that 69-S DCAM that I wanna buy? >>

I'm having it buried with me. It's in my Will.

Russ, NCNE
  • MadMartyMadMarty Posts: 16,697 ✭✭✭
    I may have one example, but mine will be in a dothead Kennedy holder before yours will ever be in a birthmark die holder!!!image
    It is not exactly cheating, I prefer to consider it creative problem solving!!!

• CameonutCameonut Posts: 7,250 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I was referring to another forum member who's also chasing them. Of course, I'm kicking his butt so far. >>

OK, OK - I'll come out of the closet - so to speak. I will admit to hoarding these "Birthmark Die" Kennedy's as well.

And Russ is kicking my butt so far, but I have been lucky to snag a number of them in cam and dcam. If I pass him, I'll be sure to start another thread. image

Now that the cat is out of the bag both Russ and I will have to pay more for them due to the greatly increased interest and lack of supply. So I will redouble my efforts to cherrypick them raw from SMS sets. image

“In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." - Thomas Jefferson

My digital cameo album 1950-64 Cameos - take a look!

• SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,660 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very interesting, this fascination with the birthmark 67 SMS half, so very myopically interesting.

Question: Does this coin only exist in CAMDCAM condition, or does it exist in brilliant condition? If it exists in brilliant condition, what is the appearance of the birthmark compared to the other portions of JFK's bust (I wonder if there is any difference at all)? If there are brilliant examples of this variety, are there less of them than of the CAMDCAM examples of this variety?

Finally (and obviously with poor taste on my part), have any "grassy knoll", "second shooter", "Mafia hit" and/or "CIA killing" conspiracy theorists argued that the birthmark on the coin is in reality an entrance or exit wound and that the production of this variety is somehow connected with the "grand conspiracy [which is still on going so as to cover it up] to kill JFK"?
  • CameonutCameonut Posts: 7,250 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Very interesting, this fascination with the birthmark 67 SMS half, so very myopically interesting. >>

Excuse my ignorance, but what does myopically interesting mean? image

I've only seen these in cam and dcam, but have been looking for an example with very light frost.

<< <i>Finally (and obviously with poor taste on my part), have any "grassy knoll", "second shooter", "Mafia hit" and/or "CIA killing" conspiracy theorists argued that the birthmark on the coin is in reality an entrance or exit wound and that the production of this variety is somehow connected with the "grand conspiracy [which is still on going so as to cover it up] to kill JFK"? >>

This is not the first time this has been mentioned, but you are the first to suggest that it was part of a grand conspiracy. Do you know something the rest of us don't?image

“In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." - Thomas Jefferson

My digital cameo album 1950-64 Cameos - take a look!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file