Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Need certain 3CN pictures for Coin World article...

Pictures are NO LONGER NEEDED. I've updated the status of the article later in the thread.

Okay, the call is out. I need some pictures for my new article I will be submitting to Coin World within the next couple of weeks. I can't promise the article will be printed, although, I don't know why Beth would decide not to print it, but it's possible. Also, I don't know which pictures will make it into the article. However, those that do will have your name in the caption as the photograph acknowledgement.

First, the requirements. The pictures have to be at least 600 DPI (most don't need to be higher than this other than perhaps the closeups). If the coin is in a holder, any scratches or aberations on the holder cannot show in the picture. Beth (editor) was a bit picky about this in the past. It's okay if the coin really has the marks, but not the holder, because it can be somewhat deceiving to the reader as to the real look of the coin. I need your full name, plus you can add your forum alias if you'd like (I can't promise that the alias will be used, though). The coins do not necessary have to be high grade or even uncirculated (for the business strikes).

The pictures I need are:
* 1877 3CN - obverse and reverse
* 1887/6 3CN - Proof - Plus close-up of (obvious) overdate
* 1873 - Closed "3" 3CN - Business Strike - Plus close-up of "73"
* 1873 - Open "3" 3CN - Business Strike - Plus close-up of "73"
* Seriously clashed dies - obverse and reverse (although I think Airplanenut already has one for me...right, Airplanenut?)
* I might also want an 1878 and 1886 3CN for good measure, but not necessary at the moment

PM me with the pictures as attachements. You don't have to place them on this thread.

Thanks for your help!

Bruce

Comments

• Options
    numismanumisma Posts: 3,877 ✭✭✭✭

Bruce,

Have you talked with Heritage about using some of their archives? Although the quality may not be that great on their site, I think they have better quality images in their possession.
  • Options
    PrethenPrethen Posts: 3,447 ✭✭✭
    In the past, I've received much higher quality pictures from folks on these boards. Heritage has already given me the go ahead in the past to use their pictures and to appropriately acknowledge them.
  • Options
    numismanumisma Posts: 3,877 ✭✭✭✭

You probably already tried Allan Gifford? I don't have what you need in stock or else I would be happy to assist your endeavor.
  • Options
    MikeInFLMikeInFL Posts: 10,188 ✭✭✭✭
    You have PM...Mike
    Collector of Large Cents, US Type, and modern pocket change.
  • Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,564 ✭✭✭✭✭
    FWIW, every 1877 3CN I have ever seen has shown what appears to be a weak 7/6. It is not obvious, and since it is the normal die I could never get anybody to care when I was certifying coins at ANACS.

Also, there is a business strike 1887/6 die, again weak, and again nobody cares. We used to certify them as such.

Don't have any of the dates you need in stock. I do have an 1867 with a nice retained cud on the reverse if you need to illustrate the type of error.

Tom DeLorey
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 21,910 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>* Seriously clashed dies - obverse and reverse (although I think Airplanenut already has one for me...right, Airplanenut?) >>

Oh, yes... PM Sent image
    JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
  • Options
    TTT for the morning crew...
  • Options
    airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 21,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just on the off chance that you haven't seen the coin Prethen mentioned:

JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
  • Options
    The article has finally been scheduled! October 13th. It's been a long road to get to print because of the plethora of main stream news stories that have pushed aside the freelance publishing schedules.

I think there's a good chance that airplanenut's photos will make it in there.
  • Options
    CameonutCameonut Posts: 7,258 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I will be looking for the article... but a 2 year wait? Wow.

“In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." - Thomas Jefferson

My digital cameo album 1950-64 Cameos - take a look!

• Options
    RayboRaybo Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭✭✭
    WOW Bruce!

Those are some serious images that you need.

I can contribute..............................none. image

Ray
  • Options
    CoinosaurusCoinosaurus Posts: 9,615 ✭✭✭✭✭
    APN-

Most impressive. That coin almost looks like it was struck over an already struck reverse.
  • Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,564 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Did you get a picture of the lesser-known 1887/6 business strike overdate?
    TD
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    Airplanenut - your picture looked great in the article. Thanks again for your contribution.

TD - No, I don't have any 1887/6 business strike pictures.
  • Options
    dpooledpoole Posts: 5,940 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    dbldie55dbldie55 Posts: 7,719 ✭✭✭✭✭
    2 years in the making. Congrats on being published. I too enjoyed the article (and the reference to the boards)
    Collector and Researcher of Liberty Head Nickels. ANA LM-6053
  • Options
    ziggy29ziggy29 Posts: 18,668 ✭✭✭
    Great article. Just finished reading it. It's tough enough looking around for a nice XF/AU 1875 with you in the competition -- thanks for bringing more! image

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file