Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

POLL: How much will you hold?

MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 24,025 ✭✭✭✭✭
Of all the coins you currently own, what percentage (based on value) do you expect to still own in ten years? Why?

Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.

Comments

• Options
    BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,465 ✭✭✭✭✭
    average grade of my set is 52. I prefer choice Xf to AU coins, so don't expect a whole lot of selling/buying within my set
  • Options
    I answered "at least 50%". 60% would have been more accurate. Of the coins that will be sold, I'd say half will be sold due to increasing focus on core collections. The other half will be sold after being upgraded.
    Andy Lustig

• Options
    garsmithgarsmith Posts: 5,894 ✭✭
    Most of my coins have permanent homes, unless I get lucky upgrades!
  • Options
    BurksBurks Posts: 1,103
    A lot of my coins are stuff I couldn't give away even if I tried. Things like modern German 10 Pfennings, those overproduced Marks, etc. Others hold more than money value to them as my first Morgan purchased, first 1909 Lincoln, etc.

I voted at 75%.
    WTB: Eric Plunk cards, jersey (signed or unsigned), and autographs. Basically anything related to him

Positive BST: WhiteThunder (x2), Ajaan, onefasttalon, mirabela, Wizard1, cucamongacoin, mccardguy1

Negative BST: NONE!
  • Options
    I have a small group of coins with sentimental value will be with me for life. My other coins will will go away as I find upgrades and see other neat coins that I'd like to own.
  • Options
    I expect to be dead in ten years.

Ray
  • Options
    jayboxxjayboxx Posts: 1,613 ✭✭
    I expect to hold 90% unless someone finds me nicer ones to replace what I already have.
  • Options
    garsmithgarsmith Posts: 5,894 ✭✭
    <<I expect to be dead in ten years.

Ray>>

Well I for one hope that your expectation does not come to pass!
  • Options
    LeeBoneLeeBone Posts: 4,345 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I`m investing for my 2 young daughters` future so I estimate 3 to 4 times as much value in 10 years. I really don`t sell much compared to what I hold.
  • Options
    BTW, I find this thought exercise useful in convincing myself to sell the borderline coins sooner rather than later. After all, if I'm not going to hold them pretty much forever, why bother holding them at all?
    Andy Lustig

• Options
    RYKRYK Posts: 35,796 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would say that I will hold a higher percent market value of coins than I will percent of number of coins. That's another way of saying that my better, more significant, and more valuable coins are lifetime keepers, and the more replaceable coins are, well, more likely to be replaced. I voted >50%.
  • Options
    MrBreezeMrBreeze Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭
    50%+. The ones that will eventually go are the coins which do not fit into my sets. The coins that are part of my sets will not be sold unless I get replacements. And then, only if another collector really needs them. I would just as soon start another set with my lower grade coins, than sell them. I also don't want to keep any of my problem coins, except one. Maybe I am a 75% at this point, because I have already moved some coins out to get more coins for my set.
  • Options
    ShamikaShamika Posts: 18,761 ✭✭✭✭
    A lot can happen in 10 years. I said 25+%

Buyer and seller of vintage coin boards!
  • Options
    tradedollarnuttradedollarnut Posts: 20,151 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd say close to 90%. There's simply no upgrades for me in my sets.... and I can't imagine selling them.
  • Options
    500Bay500Bay Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭
    I have already sold off most of my coins that I do not intend to hold longer term.
    I voted at least 75%.
    Finem Respice
  • Options
    krankykranky Posts: 8,709 ✭✭✭
    Probably 90% or more for me. Selling coins (other than bulk stuff) has always been an unpleasant experience for me, so I tend to avoid it.

New collectors, please educate yourself before spending money on coins; there are people who believe that using numismatic knowledge to rip the naïve is what this hobby is all about.

• Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,659 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'll be selling over 75% of my number of coins, and keeping over 75% of the value.

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options
    mgoodm3mgoodm3 Posts: 17,497 ✭✭✭
    I have found that I kinda enjoy selling coins and getting new ones. So i went 25%. I'll probably keep a few special ones and use the rest to buy a few more really nice ones.
    coinimaging.com/my photography articles Check out the new macro lens testing section
  • Options
    RYKRYK Posts: 35,796 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I'll be selling over 75% of my number of coins, and keeping over 75% of the value. >>

That sounds a lot like me, but I might be 50/75%.

Andy, we need a new poll.
  • Options
    lkeneficlkenefic Posts: 7,948 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Had you asked this question last year the answer would have been very different.... I'll be keeping 75% of the value in my collection over the next ten years, but I just did a major sell-off last year and again a few weeks ago which cleared out pretty much everything I wasn't really happy with....probably about 50% of the value at the time...Leo
    Collecting: Dansco 7070; Middle Date Large Cents (VF-AU); Box of 20;

Successful BST transactions with: SilverEagles92; Ahrensdad; Smitty; GregHansen; Lablade; Mercury10c; copperflopper; whatsup; KISHU1; scrapman1077, crispy, canadanz, smallchange, robkool, Mission16, ranshdow, ibzman350, Fallguy, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, jwitten, Walkerguy21D, dsessom.
  • Options
    I expect to sell 75% and hold 75% more in valuable coins and be a great success---And I agree, there's always a good

chance I'll be dead before that--but what fun!!
    morgannut2
  • Options
    123cents123cents Posts: 7,178 ✭✭✭
    About 25 percent of what I have now.
  • Options
    RichieURichRichieURich Posts: 8,385 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I voted 75%. I've been going through my collection culling out what shouldn't be there long-term for a couple of years now. Most of this is done now.

An authorized PCGS dealer, and a contributor to the Red Book.

• Options
    lkrarecoinslkrarecoins Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭
    100% of my collection will be given to my daughter....what she does with it is anyone's guess image
    In Loving Memory of my Dad......My best friend, My inspiration, and My Coin Collecting Partner

"La Vostra Nonna Ha Faccia Del Fungo"
  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,571 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The only part of my holdings that are really on the block is the material in my business inventory. I'm not thinking about selling the coins in my collection, unless I happen to run into a really nice ugrade that I can afford. I've owned some coins in my collection for more than 40 years.
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    I have some pieces which are very sentimental and a such, I will hold them. Do not get me wrong here, its not like some are woth something, some are, but the memory they hold is much more valuable.
  • Options
    NysotoNysoto Posts: 3,779 ✭✭✭✭✭
    About 50%. I'm 50 now, time to get a harley.
    Robert Scot: Engraving Liberty - biography of US Mint's first chief engraver
  • Options
    flaminioflaminio Posts: 5,664 ✭✭✭
    Barring any unforseen tragedy, I hope to hold >99% of my current collection.
  • Options
    I'm with Flaminio Pretty darn close to 100%.
  • Options
    DHeathDHeath Posts: 8,472 ✭✭✭
    Likely 90%. Unless I find examples I find more attractive, they'll all stay.
    Developing theory is what we are meant to do as academic researchers
    and it sets us apart from practitioners and consultants. Gregor
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,597 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I currently have no plans to get rid of any of my coins so I'll say 100%.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file