Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

2008 Presidential Dollar Coin Designs

For those of you that are interested, HERE are the
preferred designs for the 4 Presidential Dollars to be released in 2008!

Comments

• Options
    StrikeOutXXXStrikeOutXXX Posts: 3,350 ✭✭✭✭✭
    OK, finally some visualizing of these dollars. A few things are abundantly clear to me:

1) I need to go refresh who the presidents have been
    2) Monroe is looking pretty rough - almost like that was an autopsy representation
    3) Jackson looks a lot like the currency portrait
    4) For my first glance at them, they look pretty good as drawings, will be interesting how it transfers to a coin.

EDIT: I just noticed those were presidents 5-8, I must have missed 1-4, anyone have a link?
    ------------------------------------------------------------

"You Suck Award" - February, 2015

Discoverer of 1919 Mercury Dime DDO - FS-101
  • Options
    LeianaLeiana Posts: 4,349
    Thanks for the link, Jackson looks very much as he does on the 20$ bill.

MVB is a favorite president of mine, only really for his funny nickname.

My fear is that these designs look great, excellent really, much like the 2006 nickel promotional designs looked nice. Then the coin came out and the relief is uber flat and Jefferson looks scary.

-Amanda

I'm a YN working on a type set!

My Buffalo Nickel Website Home of the Quirky Buffaloes Collection!

Proud member of the CUFYNA
  • Options
    I haven't ever seen the 1-4 designs either. Are they intentionally selecting portraits from currency where available? Guess we will find out when someone links us to the pics of Washington and Jefferson.
  • Options

<< <i>1) I need to go refresh who the presidents have been >>

These 2 links provide all the President's names, the order AND years in which they served,
    and the year their coins will be released:

US Mint Presidential Link

A nicer bookmark type Presidential Coin Schedule Link
  • Options
    kiyotekiyote Posts: 5,571 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm all excited about the Van Burens, but I was once a Van Buren Boy!

"I'll split the atom! I am the fifth dimension! I am the eighth wonder of the world!" -Gef the talking mongoose.
  • Options
    This is going to be a fun, educational and hopefully CHEAP set to build.
    The kids are gonna either love or hate this set. A lesson with every coin image
  • Options
    Strikeoutxxx---I've meant to tell you for some time--those are some beautiful goldens in your sig line. I'm a Humane Society volunteer on a weekly basis in my non-coin life and love to see well loved dogs.
    Curmudgeon in waiting!
  • Options
    Cullenbryant: I think grown-ups are going to collect these more than kids image For most of the Presidents, I'd have to send my kids to the Internet for any type of history lesson image

<< <i>Strikeoutxxx---I've meant to tell you for some time--those are some beautiful goldens in your sig line. I'm a Humane Society volunteer on a weekly basis in my non-coin life and love to see well loved dogs. >>

Well thanks - I took off almost 4 weeks of the pups' first 6 and the kids filled in when they got out of school last summer. One of the hardest things I've had to do was when 6 of the 8 went to their new homes. I have the one, and my sister-in-law has one, but the other 6 were tough.

This is them in their secondary box when we were cleaning their big one. They were a little over 6 weeks here.

• Options
    sumnomsumnom Posts: 5,963 ✭✭✭
    I hate to be the curmudgeon but I think this series will be doomed to mediocrity. There isn't much you can do with portraiture, especially when there have to be a few dozen of them. So far, the portait of Sacagawea and of Jefferson on the 2005 nickel have been outstanding. I hope some of that can rub off on the presidential dollar series but it will be difficult. Plus, it would be nice if there was less text but the law requires it... what is to be done?
  • Options
    airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 21,964 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mark my word--those will be HIDEOUS when struck by the US Mint.
    JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
  • Options
    Kiyote, It's hard to get a good Seinfeld thread goin on here.
  • Options
    Airplanenut, I fear you will be proven correct.
  • Options
    CoxeCoxe Posts: 11,139
    I am waiting for the First Ladies series to see what they put on for the Buchanan White House. His fist?
    Select Rarities -- DMPLs and VAMs
    NSDR - Life Member
    SSDC - Life Member
    ANA - Pay As I Go Member
  • Options

<< <i>Plus, it would be nice if there was less text but the law requires it... what is to be done? >>

Well, they did get rid of the word "Liberty."
    The strangest things seem suddenly routine.
  • Options
    Yes, I noticed that as well, Construct. That is one word that should not be removed.
  • Options
    airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 21,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Plus, it would be nice if there was less text but the law requires it... what is to be done? >>

Well, they did get rid of the word "Liberty." >>

Presidential dollars are bringing edge lettering back--Liberty will be stamped on each coin's edge.
    JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

Well, they did get rid of the word "Liberty." >>

Presidential dollars are bringing edge lettering back--Liberty will be stamped on each coin's edge. >>

Well, actually, no. "E Pluribus Unum" and "In God We Trust" will be on the edge, but the word "Liberty" will not appear anywhere on the coin.
    The strangest things seem suddenly routine.
  • Options
    Mintmarks will be on the edge as well. The text of the legislation says that the image of the statue of liberty will be enough to convey the idea of liberty. The SOL reverse must not give the impression of a two-headed coin. I think that bodes poorly for the reverse. The most striking aspect, at least to me, of the SOL is the face and crown.

I should stop wringing my hands about this and just trust the coins will come out well. You know, like the state outline quarters or the golf clubs nickle of 1994.
  • Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 34,110 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What is the reason for the Presidential series? I thought the reason the state quarters series was made was partially educate the public. This made sense with quarters because they are in general circulation so everyone runs into them. No one really uses dollar coins anymore. I only see them given as change at USPS stamp machines.

Do we know if the reverse is going to be different or the same for everyone? It would be great if the reverse depicted an event during that person's Presidency.

Finally, since living persons can't appear on US coinage, should this be called the Dead Presidents series image
  • Options

<< <i>What is the reason for the Presidential series? I thought the reason the state quarters series was made was partially educate the public. This made sense with quarters because they are in general circulation so everyone runs into them. No one really uses dollar coins anymore. I only see them given as change at USPS stamp machines.

Do we know if the reverse is going to be different or the same for everyone? It would be great if the reverse depicted an event during that person's Presidency.

Finally, since living persons can't appear on US coinage, should this be called the Dead Presidents series image >>

1. To educate the public and to make money.
    2. Yes
    3. Living persons can and are on US coinage, and No it should not be called that.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>What is the reason for the Presidential series? >>

1. To educate the public and to make money. >>

Interesting. I think the public would be much better educated by continuing with quarters. Even people with no interest in coins love them.

<< <i>

<< <i>Finally, since living persons can't appear on US coinage, should this be called the Dead Presidents series image >>

3. Living persons can and are on US coinage, and No it should not be called that. >>

Not sure why I was under a false impression. Anyway, a quick Google educated me. Thanks.
  • Options
    holeinone1972holeinone1972 Posts: 5,348 ✭✭✭
    Who the hell is Martin Van Buren?

I thought Dick Van Patten was a president.

• Options
    rooksmithrooksmith Posts: 972 ✭✭✭✭
    I cant wait for the Zachary Taylor coin myself...but there already is one ..

“When you don't know what you're talking about, it's hard to know when you're finished.” - Tommy Smothers
  • Options

<< <i>Who the hell is Martin Van Buren?

I thought Dick Van Patten was a president. >>

NO,NO,

He's KING of Druidia
    (Old man) Look I had a lovely supper, and all I said to my wife was, “That piece of halibut was good enough for Jehovah”.

(Priest) BLASPHEMY he said it again, did you hear him?
  • Options
    fishcookerfishcooker Posts: 3,446 ✭✭

Are they minting the 1st coin already, to be ready for 1/07?
  • Options
    renman95renman95 Posts: 7,037 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Are they minting the 1st coin already, to be ready for 1/07? >>

Presidents (Washington) birthday 2007 release date.
  • Options
    Moose1913Moose1913 Posts: 401 ✭✭✭
    I've yet to see any of the designs for the 2007 or 2008 coins. If anyone managed to save them could you please post them?
    I pick things up
    I am a collector
    And things, well things
    They tend to accumulate
  • Options
    ArtistArtist Posts: 2,012 ✭✭✭
    More dead Presidents on coins - that just what this hobby needed!

Boy I can't wait to get my hands on a Warren G. Harding dollar -
  • Options

<< <i>More dead Presidents on coins - that just what this hobby needed! >>

I think a US through the years would be better. Have coins starting from 1776 (or even the colonial era) to the present and highlight one (or more?) important event from that year.
  • Options
    MisterBungleMisterBungle Posts: 2,308 ✭✭✭

Artist wrote, in part:

> "More dead Presidents on coins - that just what this hobby needed!"
    ---------------------------------------------------------------

I think we need to start a movement to elect only good
    looking women as President, on the assumption that
    they will someday end up on our coins.

Let's get Kiera Knightly or Mena Suvari on the ticket
    for '08.

Does that sound like a plan??

~

"America suffers today from too much pluribus and not enough unum.".....Arthur Schlesinger Jr.

• Options
    aqll i see are red Xes.
  • Options
    dcarrdcarr Posts: 8,072 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>More dead Presidents on coins - that just what this hobby needed! >>

I think a US through the years would be better. Have coins starting from 1776 (or even the colonial era) to the present and highlight one (or more?) important event from that year. >>

The Franklin Mint did a nice series like that. I have a partial set on eBay now. Here is what the 1903 and 1931 medals looked like, for example:

• Options
    RWBRWB Posts: 8,082
    As sculptor James Fraser complained in 1920, "You cannot judge a design for a coin or medal based on a drawing. The bas relief, sculpted by a competent artist, is the only means to understand the medal or coin as it will appear when struck." (Indirect quote.)

Expediency, low commercial standards, and mediocrity now require the CFA and Comm Coin Committee to make recommendations from shaded drawings and other flat art. The concept is ludicrous.

Director Moy could easily change this.

• Options

<< <i>I've yet to see any of the designs for the 2007 or 2008 coins. If anyone managed to save them could you please post them? >>

Here are the 2008, I haven't seen the 07 ones yet.

• Options
    dcarrdcarr Posts: 8,072 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>As sculptor James Fraser complained in 1920, "You cannot judge a design for a coin or medal based on a drawing. The bas relief, sculpted by a competent artist, is the only means to understand the medal or coin as it will appear when struck." (Indirect quote.)

Expediency, low commercial standards, and mediocrity now require the CFA and Comm Coin Committee to make recommendations from shaded drawings and other flat art. The concept is ludicrous.

Director Moy could easily change this. >>

I agree. The problem is that there are "losses in translation" when going from a drawing to a 3D relief sculpture. In several notable cases, the "losses" have been very apparent.

I use a technique where I sculpt in relief digitally on the computer (using a software program that I wrote). The program can generate an accurate rendering of the sculpted surface data. Then I use a Computer Numeric Control (CNC) milling/engraving machine to cut a 3D physical model (for use with a reduction lathe to make a die), or I can cut a die directly on my machine.

But here is the important fact:

With my method, the original rendering and the final struck coin are guaranteed to look IDENTICAL because the approved rendering and the final die are both generated by computer from the same source data. There are NO losses in translation using this method.
    Here is an example (approved rendering on left- actual struck coin on right):

I've contacted the US Mint on several occasions in an attempt to get them interested in this sort of technology. They have not contacted me, but they may be looking into doing this. They currently have an opening for a CNC engraving engineer.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file