AuldFartteAuldFartte Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭✭
    image Awesome is right!!!

My OmniCoin Collection
    My BankNoteBank Collection
    Tom, formerly in Albuquerque, NM.
  • Options
    Silvereagle82Silvereagle82 Posts: 1,219 ✭✭✭
    Man those are some awesome photos

I'm a little surprised the 1934 and 1952 1/2 Francs graded. Those great photos show "cleaning lines" to me.
    Of course that IMHO !!!
  • Options
    SYRACUSIANSYRACUSIAN Posts: 6,448 ✭✭✭✭
    Thank you, but I think that the credit should go to Mac who sold these to me.

Well, not all of them yet, but we're still negotiating. image

In the meantime I thought of sharing the magic before these big images disappear from PCGS' website. image
    Dimitri

myEbay

DPOTD 3
  • Options
    SYRACUSIANSYRACUSIAN Posts: 6,448 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Man those are some awesome photos

I'm a little surprised the 1934 and 1952 1/2 Francs graded. Those great photos show "cleaning lines" to me.
    Of course that IMHO !!! >>

I posted (and bought) the 1934 half because its obverse has the looks of a specimen. The 1952 is a seriously undergraded specimen and as for the cleaning lines, I believe that they are die polishing lines that are practically always seen on Swiss specimens under such huge magnification.
    Dimitri

myEbay

DPOTD 3
  • Options
    Silvereagle82Silvereagle82 Posts: 1,219 ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the explaination ... I figured those graders at PCGS probably know a little bit more about grading than me image
  • Options
    koincollectkoincollect Posts: 446 ✭✭✭
    Sweet coins! Congrats on getting them. I especially like the 20F.
  • Options
    ajaanajaan Posts: 17,125 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Outstanding coins and images.

DPOTD-3
    'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • Options
    coinpicturescoinpictures Posts: 5,345 ✭✭✭
    Love the 1885 10R!!

PCGS is really doing an excellent job on its photography... NGC could learn a few things there.
  • Options
    So cool, Dimitri, so cool. The kind of thread that gets me inspired about coins.

Clankeye
    Brevity is the soul of wit. --William Shakespeare
  • Options
    oldshepoldshep Posts: 3,240
    OUTSTANDING!!!!!

Shep
  • Options
    WWWWWW Posts: 2,609 ✭✭✭
    Beautiful coins. image
  • Options
    MacCrimmonMacCrimmon Posts: 7,054 ✭✭✭
    Yes indeed, the 'cleaning lines' are indeed, fine die polish lines imparted by the Swiss die workers. This is truly why one really can't grade a coin solely from images, even the 4400x2200 dpi super images. They are an indispensible aid though for die characteristics, such as determining when a Swiss coin is a specimen or it is not, as many hybrids exist.

These EA die polish marks tend to be almost unseen on some earlier specimens up to about WWI (closer to a pure proof output by say the German mints), when they suddenly become not quite so fine in linewidth. They again tend to fade back into obscurity with deeper mirrors in the mid-50s on through 1965 or so until the last silver issues.

The 1929 is just barely in the second rank of all 2 rappens I've ever come across, the small group of 1930s having yet a little more "pop" with the lustre. A few of them were truly deserving of "68RD" grades. The 1928 5 rap EA is a date which is seldom seen, although really any nickel or cu-ni issue in superb gem proof condition should be bought and held as these are few and they are difficult to find with little to no problems. All these coins look great in the images, but they are of course tons nicer in hand, most notably the 1885 10 rappen, and, the 1951 5 franc is nonpariel regardless of the assigned grade.

• Options
    DoogyDoogy Posts: 4,508

<< <i>Love the 1885 10R!!

PCGS is really doing an excellent job on its photography... NGC could learn a few things there. >>

yup, NGC's photography is pretty lame compared to PCGSs

Doug
  • Options
    bosoxbosox Posts: 1,510 ✭✭✭✭
    Very, very nice Dimitri.
    Numismatic author & owner of the Uncommon Cents collections. 2011 Fred Bowman award winner, 2020 J. Douglas Ferguson award winner, & 2022 Paul Fiocca award winner.

http://www.victoriancent.com
  • Options
    BSBS Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭
    As always very nice coins.image
  • Options
    MrKelsoMrKelso Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭
    WOW!!

"The silver is mine and the gold is mine,' declares the LORD GOD Almighty."