Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

What are the odds the ASE 20th Anniversary Set sells for under list in 2007?

Yes, another ASE thread. Just wondering what the geniuses of the hobby think the chances are the 20th anniversay ASE will drop below $100 in 2007 once the thrill is gone.

Geniuses? You know who you are.

Comments

• Options
    66Tbird66Tbird Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭
    Need something designed and 3D printed?
  • Options
    Not a coin genius, but my uneducated guess would be that the chance of this set selling for under $100 (as a set) is practically 0
    Chances are that the RP alone will be selling well above $100 mark, maybe even ungraded.
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,415 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ZERO

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    cheezhedcheezhed Posts: 5,686 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Snowballs chance in hell.
    Many happy BST transactions
  • Options
    GoldbullyGoldbully Posts: 16,862 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not with MS69 Reverse Proofs selling like this.............

eBay Link
  • Options
    TheRavenTheRaven Posts: 4,143 ✭✭✭✭
    I agree the chances are zero.....

Can't wait to get this coin home.....
    Collection under construction: VG Barber Quarters & Halves
  • Options
    53BKid53BKid Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭
    ZERO

NADA

NUNCA

NO WAY

NOT HAPPENING

ARE YOU KIDDING?

HAPPY COLLECTING!!!
  • Options
    19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,472 ✭✭✭✭
    First off, your example is a First Strike coin and not necessarily a run of the mill set.

Secondly, I would not be surprised if the entire set sold for less than or close to list by the end of next year. These are not officially sold out and there are 250,000 or them to go around.

Graded sets will always bring more than list but we are not talking graded 'First Strike' sets now are we. Or are we?

Usually these things sell for moon money until the market gets saturated. 250,000 is a a lot of coins.
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    JcarneyJcarney Posts: 3,154

<< <i>and there are 250,000 or them to go around. >>

Which makes the Reverse proof a key to the series.
    “When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic.” — Benjamin Franklin

My icon IS my coin. It is a gem 1949 FBL Franklin.
  • Options
    bfjohnsonbfjohnson Posts: 537 ✭✭✭
    0.0274% chance
  • Options
    Dream On---Alice in Wonderland !
  • Options
    itsnotjustmeitsnotjustme Posts: 8,777 ✭✭✭
    Extremely low. I offered a workmate $1100 for 10 sets. Instant $100 profit for them with no risk. I even told him I expect them to increase substantially.
    Give Blood (Red Bags) & Platelets (Yellow Bags)!
  • Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,943 ✭✭✭✭✭
    20%

Don't forget, 2007 may be a very long year.
    Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,692 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>First off, your example is a First Strike coin and not necessarily a run of the mill set. >>

True, for all we know the First Strike™ coins could develop the worst spots of all of them.
  • Options
    LanLordLanLord Posts: 11,681 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Chances are 50% - 50%

Either it will or it won't! There you go, you heard it here first; 50-50
  • Options
    fishcookerfishcooker Posts: 3,446 ✭✭

Same as the odd of 2001 buff's selling below issue price.
  • Options
    GoldbullyGoldbully Posts: 16,862 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yet another MS/PR69 AES set going for top dollar........

How they come up with or without a deep cameo is most subjective IMHO.

Still learning the lingo..................

Go Deep
  • Options
    I am certain some of the ASE sets will be sold for under $100. These may be to pawn shops or the like, they might be stolen, whatever. Or as walk ups or trade ins at a show or store.

It is extremely unlikely that the retail price will drop under $100, but the odds are greater than zero. It is possible that dealer bids will be below $100 and I'd put the odds of that at 25%. Almost all the hot money demand is for First Strike graded sets. The raw sets are not hot, and the mint has not even put up the banner saying it has sold them all.
  • Options
    I have a question on a related note. At what point in the year will the mint quit taking orders for this set? If they stop taking orders in the next few weeks, the total mintage may be well below 250K

I can quit collecting anytime I want to.....I just don't want to!
  • Options
    53BKid53BKid Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭
    Great question.
    HAPPY COLLECTING!!!
  • Options
    orevilleoreville Posts: 11,780 ✭✭✭✭✭
    a 1 in 10 chance. Not very likely.

mreureka: Why is 2007 going to be a very long year?
    A Collectors Universe poster since 1997!
  • Options
    You now have your answer !
  • Options
    tincuptincup Posts: 4,765 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yeh... if anyone is waiting for them to go below issue price...... hmmm..... might have to be patient just for a little while yet.....
    ----- kj
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not this year.. or next year... Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    Classof67Classof67 Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭
    Hey, I'll pay TWICE issue price!!image

Tim
    GREAT BST transactions with Wondercoin, segoja, moderncoinmart, notwilight, wingsrule, 123cents, fivecents, hunted, alohagary, ibzman350, WTCG, sonofagunk, amigo, coincoins, dcgolfer, chumley, nycounsel, tootawl, guitarwes, kimber45ACP, Zubie, Egger, RYK, 1tommy, EagleEye, NEFPROLLC, jmdm1194, Coinfolio
  • Options
    Classof67Classof67 Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Almost all the hot money demand is for First Strike graded sets. The raw sets are not hot >>

GREAT BST transactions with Wondercoin, segoja, moderncoinmart, notwilight, wingsrule, 123cents, fivecents, hunted, alohagary, ibzman350, WTCG, sonofagunk, amigo, coincoins, dcgolfer, chumley, nycounsel, tootawl, guitarwes, kimber45ACP, Zubie, Egger, RYK, 1tommy, EagleEye, NEFPROLLC, jmdm1194, Coinfolio
  • Options
    7over87over8 Posts: 4,733 ✭✭✭
    NEVER
  • Options
    I assume you were kidding....
  • Options
    garsmithgarsmith Posts: 5,894 ✭✭
    Ain't gonna happen, your chance of getting them at list is gone and about the only way you would get a set below original list is if two of the three coins are missing!

That is my non-expert opinion!
  • Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,293 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Ain't gonna happen, your chance of getting them at list is gone and about the only way you would get a set below original list is if two of the three coins are missing!

That is my non-expert opinion! >>

I'll sell the original government packaging + a proof 2006 SAE for the hundred bucks image

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow Bochi... such a deal.... image Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    UtahCoinUtahCoin Posts: 5,345 ✭✭✭✭✭
    In case you are worried about that, I will purchase your sets at the issue price of $100 each......
    I used to be somebody, now I'm just a coin collector.
    Recipient of the coveted "You Suck" award, April 2009 for cherrypicking a 1833 CBHD LM-5, and April 2022 for a 1835 LM-12, and again in Aug 2012 for picking off a 1952 FS-902.
  • Options
    BigDaddyzBigDaddyz Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭
    If you get a chance to buy some that low...its a ripoff and you are donating your money to a scammer.
    Great BST experiences: abitofthisabitofthat, silvercoinsdude, gerard, coinfame, mikescoins, wondercoin
  • Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,370 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The only scenario that I can imagine would be..................................sub-prime mortgage lending crisis mushrooms....................................banking crisis forces bank closures...............................................fed declares banking holiday.................................................china stops trading in dollars................................yen crashes..............................hillary elected......................................iran assumes control of eastern iraq.....................................etc, etc...............................

At some point, coin sets would be worth their weigh in silver, but that's about it. Probability, I'd say about 1.5%.
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    Coll3ctorColl3ctor Posts: 3,314 ✭✭✭

<< <i>First off, your example is a First Strike coin and not necessarily a run of the mill set.

Secondly, I would not be surprised if the entire set sold for less than or close to list by the end of next year. These are not officially sold out and there are 250,000 or them to go around.

Graded sets will always bring more than list but we are not talking graded 'First Strike' sets now are we. Or are we?

Usually these things sell for moon money until the market gets saturated. 250,000 is a a lot of coins. >>

Wrong answer image

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file