Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

1955 Bowman FB PSA MINT 9 #137 pop 1

Ebay item # 150050575764...starts @ 5 PM PST.

Any Registry guys want to get involved???? None higher!!!!! One of the lowest pops for PSA 8s. This is a super toughie!!!!!!

Comments

• Options
    DavalilloDavalillo Posts: 1,846 ✭✭
    I would buy privately if you want to quote a price

Will not bid on ebay.

Jim
  • Options
    Thank you for expressing an interest in my card. Please check my seller feedback from this year and past FB seasons. I'm certain you don't have a problem with me as a seller (syrgar). Is it an Ebay issue?

Thanks,
    ebay seller: syrgar
  • Options
    No problem with you--I am sure you are a honest, reputable guy.

Just want sellers to come to me before putting cards on ebay and the only way I can do that is to refuse to bid unless its a card I am desperate for.

Jim
  • Options
    carew4mecarew4me Posts: 3,464 ✭✭✭✭
    I think you will do much better on Ebay.

1955 Bowman FB is hot!

Loves me some shiny!
  • Options
    19541954 Posts: 2,866 ✭✭✭
    Cuse-
    Quick question about doing the Ebay thing. If you are going to start the bid so high on Ebay, why not offer Jim the card for $2800 first before placing it out like that? I doubt that Jim would pay that for this card, but at least you made the attempt and perhaps sold the card without Ebay fees. The card looks really nice.

Shane
    Looking for high grade rookie cards and unopened boxes/cases
  • Options
    BugOnTheRugBugOnTheRug Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭
    If the card is so great, so scarce, and in such demand, why not just start it at $1 and let it fly?
  • Options
    The way I do it is I always reward the lead dog first. They have earned the right to be offered the card first.

So start with the #1 register and work your way down.

Always have your price, never do the "what'll you give me for it" act.

But keep in mind you leave out the shadow collectors, team builders, etc.

So Ebay may be the best play for anyone interested, to have a shot.

Loves me some shiny!
  • Options
    I'm sorry Jim. I had no idea my listing would stir a negative backlash. My message on this board was not targeted at you or any other specific 1955B Fb PSA Registry set holder. I never considered any single person as "the" guaranteed buyer.

I was the same guy who brought out THE best and most PSA 8 and higher 1955B Fb cards on Ebay last football season. Take a look at my feedback from last year. ALL the top 1955 Bowman guys bought from me. I never bothered to check who needed this card. Because who "needs" this card is more than any one person. There are guys who need the card in 8. There are guys who want to upgrade any 8 they can. So, it's a wider market than you think. Thus, I thought Ebay would be the best venue to put this card "on the market". It's a PSA MINT 9 1/1. NOTE: Ebay also offers me the exposure to advertize my other upcoming high grade cards. I will turn up on a few people's favorite seller list just from my Rote listing.

In addition, there are plenty of "closet" guys who have amazing PSA sets not on the Registry. If you think that's BS, again check my previous feedback and the 1955 B Fb all time set list. I broke up 5+ 1955B FB PSA 7-10 sets. I was a closet PSA guy. None were ever listed on the Registry until I memoralized my highest set. I've dealt with a few guys who buy high grade and don't list their sets.

Shane, I don't frequent this board. Last year, I was attacked by a board "regular" who insinuated that something was fishy with me selling the huge quantity and quality 1955B FB cards on Ebay. The message boards turned me off. I didn't know who Davillio was off the top of my head. I do now and should have remebered the name from the PSA Guide story.

Bug- Trust me, I know the 1955B Fb click. It's a good one. I've dealt with most of them. A $1? Why waste my time? I know how hard it was for me to find PSa 7 and 8s of this card. So do the rest of the serious 1955B guys. I also know how much I spent for this card. There are no Santa Clauses in this end of the market. If a serious buyer does not step up, I'll be happy to keep the card in my collection and enjoy the Ebay exposure/advertizing.

carew - we're you the guy chasing my PSA 8 55B Packers last season??
  • Options
    BugOnTheRugBugOnTheRug Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Bug- Trust me, I know the 1955B Fb click. It's a good one. I've dealt with most of them. A $1? Why waste my time? I know how hard it was for me to find PSa 7 and 8s of this card. So do the rest of the serious 1955B guys. >>

If the above is true, why is starting the auction at $1 a waste of time??!! If everybody is going to flock to this card as you have repeatedly described, why put a huge starting price on it right out of the gate? Let the big guns with deep pockets battle it out while you smile on the sidelines!

Sorry, your reasoning doesn't register IMO.............
  • Options
    Hi Bug,

I don't know if everyone is going to flock to this card. I have no way of knowing exactly who is watching my listing. How could I know which if any, of the 1955B Fb guys are aware this card is listed on Ebay. I don't know who's trying for an 8 or better set . Or who's trying and willing to chase or keep the top dog status. You never know.......

Again, I know how much I want for the card. Why let the bottom feeders push the card to a couple hundred dollars. Then run the chance my reserve is not met. If I ran a reserve auction, my fee would probaly be another $20-30. It may seem like small potatoes. But $20 is $20. I just ran a beautiful 1952B Fb set in EX/MT -NM. The bidding reached a couple thosand dollars. That was a waste of time. The reserve auction listing fees still were charged. The set sold outside of Ebay.

Take a look at my Fb sets sold this year. When I have Ex or Ex/mt vintage stuff, I set a very reasonable opening price. If the opening bidder hits my start ing price.......... I'm happy. Any more bidding is just icing on the cake. And if you read my feedback, several people have commented on how reasonable and fair my pricing and grading are.

If I have little or nothing into a card /set, that's when I run $1 starting auctions. I'm not looking for flea market bidders with my high end stuff. It's just what has worked best for me.

I appreciate your input and wish you the best with your collecting. Ebay seller: syrgar
  • Options
    Cuse:

I have never bid on any of your items, but I am impressed with your patience and thoughtful responses to the questions posed. You seem to be a class act.

Good luck with the Rote, hope you get your asking price.

Peace

Doug
    Trying to complete 1970 psa set.
    45% complete.
  • Options
    Cuse,

I would give you $2,500 for it.

Final offer--thats my top bid. Good for 2 days.

Jim
  • Options
    My experiences with cuse have been top notch. He has gone so far as to send me cards before I even pay for them. He knows the 55 B market extremely well and was a big help to me. As for starting the Rote auction at a high price, that is his choice to make. That never bothers me. I don't expect to get a deal on what I bid on and if the minimum bid is more that I want to pay, so be it.
  • Options
    MorgothMorgoth Posts: 3,950 ✭✭✭
    It never ceases to amaze me that other people are highly critical of what other people do with their cards or how they sell them. As a seller shouldn't he be able to set the conditions for the sale, not the other way around?
    Currently completing the following registry sets: Cardinal HOF's, 1961 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, 1972 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, 1980 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, Bill Mazeroski Master & Basic Sets, Roberto Clemente Master & Basic Sets, Willie Stargell Master & Basic Sets and Terry Bradshaw Basic Set
  • Options
    Bug,
    Maybe you can provide some examples of where your listing 4 figure cards?

carew - we're you the guy chasing my PSA 8 55B Packers last season??

Yes. Still looking if you want to PM me image

Your 55's are top shelf. Makes me wish I had not sold my set!

Loves me some shiny!
  • Options
    Thanks for the support guys.

I decided to let the card run via auction. Ending auctions early, tends to alienate bidders.

Again, my auction was already running on Ebay (with auction watchers) prior to the inquiry from this message board. I trust all understand my interest in maintaining my seller reputation.

Best of luck to all........................
    Ebay seller syrgar
  • Options
    MorrellManMorrellMan Posts: 3,238 ✭✭✭
    Here's a quick link for those who want to see how this one goes.
    Mark (amerbbcards)

"All evil needs to triumph is for good men to do nothing."
  • Options
    So here's a question - with a starting bid this high, would it not be a better idea to simply run it as a fixed price auction? I can understand and appreciate 13X SMR for a pop 1, and I certainly don't decry icing, but you might already have the card sold and can move on.
    Mark (amerbbcards)

• Options
    lostdart58lostdart58 Posts: 2,938 ✭✭✭

Spam.......................Did some one say SPAM??

...It wasn't me......no....no...no
    Collector of:Baseball
    1955 Bowman Raw complete with 90% Ex-NR or better

Now seeking 1949 Eureka Sportstamps...NM condition
    Working on '78 Autographed set now 99.9% complete -
    Working on '89 Topps autoed set now complete

• Options
    Chances are if this card has not gotten a bid yet it will not and economically speaking the seller will have made a bad decision in not accepting my $2500 offer.

Less that a month ago there was a post on here on someone who was selling one of the tough 62 Topps cards--139 Babe Ruth Special psa 8 and I offered him $725. He sold it on ebay for $200 or so to King Yao who e-mailed me asking if something was wrong with the card.

Two examples that the best way to sell a card is to approach the leading setholders on the registry before putting on the hated ebay.

Jim
  • Options
    Spam????????

Morrell,
    The auction was started before I received interst from this board. I had know way of gauging it's interest.

I have plenty more similar grade cards destined fOr auction. Should I risk alienating pasT and future customers by ending the auction early?? I could take the $$ and run with the offer from this board. Considering Ebay fees the offer is probably more if not close to what I might net from my opening bid. The offer was very fair and several hundred dollars more than another Ebay member offered me. The other offer also would have required me to end the auction early. Next, I received a cash and PSA 8 Rote offer. Should I pick and one of these (3)offers??

My position must be to let the auction run. I'd risk pissin' off somebody by ending it early. This isn't the only card I have for sale. I'm a fair an honest seller. read my seller and feedback and go back to last season to see what people had to say about my 1955 Bowmans.

For anyone questioning the pricing of 55B Fb cards, your not in tune with the market. Take a look at MINT STATE's SMR ad. Check the 55B Fb price. The set couldn't have been all 9s. They simply don't exist.

• Options
    Jim,

Again, I wish I could have entertained or accepted your offer prior to initiation of my auction. In fact, I posted my intention to list the card prior to the pre-scheduled starting time of my auction.

To date, I have received (3) separate offers for this card. If any of the these parties or any of the Ebay watchers suddenly noted that the card was no longer for sale, I'd have a bunch of explaining to do. I could alienate a few potential future bidders.

I just thought it was the right and fair thing to do for everybody.
  • Options
    Cuse,

You have no bidders--there is noone to "piss off"--except those who made an aggressive bid which you are not willing to consider(even though noone is bidding on the auction--last time I checked).

So to answer your question--yes, you should have picked one of the three offers.

Jim
  • Options
    Jim,

As an Ebay seller, I can pull up my listing to check it's status. The status available to only the seller, indicates how many Ebay members are "watching" a particular auction. The number of watchers for this card is a bit higher than the norm for my auctions. I may not receive a single bid. However, a good # of Ebay members (and I can't tell exactlywho they are) are tracking my auction.

Again, I stated your offer was very fair and reasonable. Under different circumstances, we probably wouldn't have stirred this hornets nest and deal would be history.

Thank you for your patience and understanding. It's not a greed issue on my part.
  • Options
    MantlefanMantlefan Posts: 1,079 ✭✭
    This is the PSA Set Registry board. This post should have been made on the Buy,Sell, Trade site. If everyone with a card to sell listed it here, you wouldn't be able to find the true Registry posts. So I'm with Lostdart. SPAM
    Frank

Always looking for 1957 Topps BB in PSA 9!
  • Options
    Cuse,

Okay--let me know if you change your mind and please check my set on the registry before putting it on ebay in the future.

And thenks for posting on THIS board--I never would have seen it otherwise.

Jim
  • Options

<< <i>Spam????????

Morrell,
    The auction was started before I received interst from this board. I had know way of gauging it's interest. >>

I'm not sure what you're telling me here. I posted this:

<< <i>So here's a question - with a starting bid this high, would it not be a better idea to simply run it as a fixed price auction? I can understand and appreciate 13X SMR for a pop 1, and I certainly don't decry icing, but you might already have the card sold and can move on. >>

Perhaps you're mistaking me for someone else.

Of course, Frank and lostdart are correct. This thread is spam, but interesting spam. Looks to me like an explanation of why a seller doesn't want to sell a card. I'd be willing to bet that every one of the watchers are watching to see if anybody is willing to pay your asking price. You might get a last minute snipe, but you might not. Nobody wants to be the only one willing to pay 13X SMR for anything, especially a pop 1 card that can only become a pop 2 card further down the line.

If Jim says it's worth no more than 12X SMR, I'd take that to the bank. I could be wrong, but I don't think they'll be coming after you with burning torches if you end a no-action auction early to take a fair offer. Doesn't sound like any of your "watchers" are ponying up offers. I mean this as kindly as I can say it - based on the amount of times you've referred us to "take a look" at your feedback, auction history, etc and your anxiety over pissing off the multitudes who expect more from you: Get over yourself; your auctions aren't that important. Pick an offer and do the deal.
    Mark (amerbbcards)

• Options
    There is a fixed price. There is a "buy it now" price.

FYI........1955B PSA 8 Rote sold on Ebay last night for over 20X SMR. This was a pop 8 card. Mine is a pop 1 PSA 9.

And yes, I previously ended a "no action" auction of a premium 5 figure set from Ebay. The backlash was significant. One person threatened to turn me into Ebay because he accused me of never having the item for sale. That was BS. Another stated he was pissed and didn't think I shopuld be taking offers during a running auction. He further stated he would NEVER bid on my items again. Then the bogus second chance offers started hitting my bidders from the scammers. Auctions that don't meet reserves are constant targets for the Ebay scammers. I answered plenty of those emails and also had to explain why the auction ended. It was a bad move ending the auction, I vowed not to make this mistake again.

I also ran into a similar problem last year. A customer persuaded me to change my price so he could buy my item. I did so because I didn't want to end the auction. Guessed where this went?? Every auction this bidder was interested in turned into a request to accept flea market offers below my starting prices. IT just has not been good in my experience to end auctios early. End of story.

Lastly, do you have any idea what else I have in 1955 Bowman FB??? No you don't. If Jim only needs this one card from my inventory, would he be a repeat customer?? Again, no. So, I do have a vested interested in trying to be fair to everyone. The card may not sell and that's OK. There will be a tommorrow(we all hope) and we'll all move on.
  • Options
    Very good points, and only you know the effect of previous mishaps. Did any of the backlashing bidders ever bid on another auction of yours? Sorry you had problems.

Good point about the PSA 8 Rote that sold for over a grand. I did notice that the opening bid was 55 cents and I don't see any indication that there was a reserve (although there certainly could have been, I don't know). Ebay is a funny thing and it's been debated on these boards; bidders just have a different response to low opening bids than they do on high starting bids for the same card. I can't explain it, but it seems to be true. Maybe it's the sense of a true auction with the winner attaining the highest bid, instead of having to hit that highest bid from the git-go.

BTW, your last statement:

<< <i>Lastly, do you have any idea what else I have in 1955 Bowman FB??? No you don't. >>

....sounds like I hit a nerve. I didn't mean to offend; I had hoped I made that clear but I guess I didn't.
    Mark (amerbbcards)

• Options
    Morrell,
    No harm no foul.

In my wildest immagination, I would never have guessed that telling a bunch of true collectors that a "tough" card was for sale...........would stir the negavitivity that this thread has generated. I'm sure we're all good people(well most of us), and this is just a debate with people with varied backgrounds , intersests and experiences.

Peace........................let's move on.
  • Options

<< <i>This is the PSA Set Registry board. This post should have been made on the Buy,Sell, Trade site. If everyone with a card to sell listed it here, you wouldn't be able to find the true Registry posts. So I'm with Lostdart. SPAM >>

Wow. Thats strange. If its high grade baseball the reaction is very different image

Cuse,
    You have the some of the finest 55 Bowman FB out there. Keep em coming.

Loves me some shiny!
  • Options
    flatfoot816flatfoot816 Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭
    I do not collect 55 Bowman FB...nor am I really into Set Registry sets(expect for '69 Supers and '74 Deckles). I collect mainly vintage unopened packs and raw hi-grade sets. But a couple of observations as I read thru this thread.

1. Cuse--you are clearly an asute collector/seller with class. I would hope that 1 or 2 prior bad comments from other board members will not detere you in the future from posting on this board. Seems like you have a lot to offer.

3. Your point is well taken on not wanting to end the listing early. If you have other cards of similar sets to sell...grabbing a good price on 1 card may not be the best thing for you in the long run.

2. Now for a bit of criticism--Is that that much trouble to list only 1 card per auction??...i.e., just the one you are selling. Perhaps add a back scan as well? Especially with higher end cards?

Manny
  • Options
    hello manny,

Thanks for the pros and cons. This is a forum and I appreciate views/comments.

I forgot all about discussing the back. It's just as nice as the front. There are No remarkable issues. This is a newly certified card. No old holder slacking/grading.
    I'm not sure about your single card observation. I have sold a bunch of complete sets since the football season started. 52B Large, (5) 58s, (4) 55s, (2) 65P, (2) 69, 66P, 64P................etc.....................I have sold several lots too. This is only the second single card auction of mine this FB season.So' I'm not sure how to answer that one.

Thanks all, it's been fun.

PS...I figured out who the good carew poster name was. It's you!!! Thanks for the props......syrgar
  • Options
    Cuse,
    I appreciate your honesty and willingness to be fair with your customers on Ebay. I don't have any idea why people are being so hard on you with regards to this auction. I personally would have contacted Jim first and taken his offer. Perhaps the card will sell for $2900 on Ebay. So you lost $221 selling it to one of the greatest collectors of these boards. I prefer to help out fellow collectors here on the message boards instead of going the Ebay route. As a collector you can never go wrong helping others. Someday the tables will turn and you will want a fellow collector to throw you a bone. I believe this is what these message boards should be about. Not placing a spam out on every item that you are selling for the week like Scott Suser does, but to notify those about a very special card.
    I hope you get the most for your cards.

Shane
  • Options
    Hi 54,

I consider answering every thread on the message boards with a link to one's auctions as spam in the truest sense. I don't do that . Please reread the thread. I never asked anyone to attaach a link.

Again, I stated I didn't know who Jim was off the top of my head. I do now.

Would you alienate the the #1 set Registry guy with whom you've had multiple dealings with? I have that as a consideration. Would you alienate another high end set collector with whom you've had previous dealings that offers you his 8 and comparable cash?? I could have negotiated with multiple people. Once the auction was started.......I made the decision to run the auction. I took the same position with each person and did not entertain or solicit counter offers.

LASTLY, I noted this card was available prior to my auction starting on tis board. If I had been contacted before the auction began by anyone, thsi thread wouldn't exist and the card would have been sold. Now I'm sticking with my decision .........good or bad.

54 : I appreciate your input. This thread has gotten too long. I hope everyone understands and moves on.
    No harm no foul.
  • Options
    Shane,

Thanks. I would have sold it to me too but he did not know me so thats okay.

Maybe he has one of the other 5 cards I need in that set to complete it in PSA 8 or better.

Another year is coming, a new card budget and many sets to complete.

Jim
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    The auction has less then 30 minutes left. if it does not sell at the asking price, is it still available for Jim at his offer? I suggest Jim and Cuse get together and hammer out a deal.

Cuse did the right thing IMO and let the auction ride.

Jim also did the right thing by making an offer.

maybe these two can get it done?

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    Steve,

What a great idea! We needed someone like you to step up so we can get this done. I will await his call.

Jim
  • Options

<< <i>Someday the tables will turn and you will want a fellow collector to throw you a bone. I believe this is what these message boards should be about. >>

Shane, do you practice what you preach? You are an experienced collector, but a year ago you told me you didn't know much about cards and what they sell for. I didn't buy the cards from you because your prices were way out there. I later found out you knew a lot more about cards then you let on. Do you help out those in the know and try to gauge the less knowledgable collector?
  • Options
    I do not want to pile on, but, Scott Suser spams the appropriate thread. I do not recall ever seeing him on the reg bd. spamming.

he does notify members via the buy/sell/trade forum or the vintage card one.

is that what you meant?

also, jim, i hope i didn't cross a boundry. I was just trying to get you two together. sorry if i did.

steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    Steve,

I thanked you for a wonderful suggestion--I said it was a great idea to have him contact me post-auction.

Jim
  • Options
    Jim.

thanks i just wasn't sure. the written word can be hard to cypher at times.

i hope you 2 work it out!

steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    McKinnly,
    I am not sure what card you are talking about however I do try to help people out with their collections as evident that I contact other board members when I have a card they need. I am sure there are at least twenty people here on this board that can attest to this. If you can tell me what card you are referring to with your last post I can recall the situation. Do I know the market on every issue? No, I don't. My prices may have been out of whack on a certain issue. I can tell you that I probably sold the card for pretty close to what I was asking for it back a year ago. Please let me know what card you are discussing.

Shane

As for gouging a person on the sale of a card and do I practice this? This is a pretty ludicrous statement on your behalf. When I do have a card I try to price the card where I feel market value is.
  • Options
    Shane,

It was a 1970 FB PSA 10 and a few 1970FB PSA 9's. The 9's were selling on ebay for about $35-45 each, which was high, and you wanted about twice that amount. The 10's were selling for about $250-$300 only when MOSH was bidding and you wanted at least twice that amount. You were quoting me prices well above the market. I think you later listed them on ebay, but I was turned off by your attempted to sell them to me, so I didn't bid on thm.
  • Options
    flatfoot816flatfoot816 Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭
    Cuse--sorry to bust your investigative results, but I am not the Carew poster that you referenced. While a great HOF player, my loyalties lie with Red Sox Nation.

Only a personal pet-peeve on the single card pix in an ad. 2 or more pix work just fine and saves time. No harm meant.
  • Options
    carew poster...must be me.

name is Randall...the legend, the myth, the substance abuser

Loves me some shiny!
  • Options
    McKinnly,
    I am sorry for offering football cards to you at double market value. I was not trying to deceive you or fool you on my knowledge in this department. I don't have a clue to what market value is on football cards. I only collect baseball cards. I don't appreciate your remarks to me as I have done you no wrong. These cards weren't even mine. They belonged to my business partner who just graded out 6 sets with PSA. You better think twice next time accusing a person of bad dealings with your 8 posts. This card market is a very small world and you just might need a little help later on down the road.
    Still don't know your name- who are you?

Shane Leonard
  • Options
    Shane,

8 posts or not, don't give me your bs about your lack of knowledge. I appreciate your apology, after the fact. I am just a collector who likes it straight and don't want to be taken advantage of.

<< <i>You better think twice next time accusing a person of bad dealings with your 8 posts. This card market is a very small world and you just might need a little help later on down the road. >>

I think you answered your own statement.

<< <i>These cards weren't even mine. They belonged to my business partner who just graded out 6 sets with PSA. >>

• Options
    The board cancer is here.........see all the in- fighting I caused on the board.

Jim, I tried PM option. I couldn't get it to work. Send me a note if you want to discuss the Rote.
    Thanks
  • Options
    Cuse,

Pls e-mail me at jdc122@aol.com and we can talk. I am reachable here in the evening.

Secondly I will defend Shane. He has gone out of his way to sell me cards in the past(Batter Ups and 71 TGM's--probably at a discount to what he could have gotten on ebay.

If Shane said that the cards were not his and he did not know the market value, I believe him. No questions asked.

Jim