Home Sports Talk

Fill out your very own 2007 Hall of Fame ballot.

EstilEstil Posts: 6,919 ✭✭✭✭
The ballot copy comes from the Wikipedia article regarding the 2007 HOF election. This is the exact roster of players who will be on the real ballots the writers use for voting. Anyway, you know the ground rules. Just like the real writers who vote for the HOF, you can vote for between zero to ten members and NO WRITE-IN VOTES.

My votes are in bold. I had to use my max of ten votes for this one. This year's potential class is just that good. image

FIRST TIME:
Harold Baines
Derek Bell
Dante Bichette
Bobby Bonilla
Jeff Brantley
Jay Buhner
Ken Caminiti
Jose Canseco
Norm Charlton
Chad Curtis
Eric Davis
Tony Fernandez
Mark Gardner
Tony Gwynn
Darryl Hamilton
Pete Harnisch
Charlie Hayes
Doug Henry
Glenallen Hill
Ken Hill
John Jaha
Stan Javier
Wally Joyner
Dave Martinez
Ramon Martinez
Chuck McElroy
Mark McGwire
Joe Oliver
Gregg Olson
Paul O'Neill
Scott Radinsky
Cal Ripken, Jr.
Bret Saberhagen
Jeff Shaw
Ed Sprague
Kevin Tapani
Devon White
Bobby Witt

RETURNING (This is Mr. Garvey's last chance for the writer's ballot):
Albert Belle
Bert Blyleven
Dave Concepcion
Andre Dawson
Steve Garvey
Rich "Goose" Gossage
Orel Hershiser
Tommy John
Don Mattingly
Jack Morris
Dale Murphy
Dave Parker
Jim Rice
Lee Smith
Alan Trammell

For your responses however, you might want to just list the ones you'd vote for and why, so the topic doesn't get too long. I'll explain my reasons for my voting later.
WISHLIST
Dimes: 54S, 53P, 50P, 49S, 45D+S, 44S, 43D, 41S, 40D+S, 39D+S, 38D+S, 37D+S, 36S, 35D+S, all 16-34's
Quarters: 52S, 47S, 46S, 40S, 39S, 38S, 37D+S, 36D+S, 35D, 34D, 32D+S
74 Topps: 37,38,46,47,48,138,151,193,210,214,223,241,256,264,268,277,289,316,435,552,570,577,592,602,610,654,655
1997 Finest silver: 115, 135, 139, 145, 310
1995 Ultra Gold Medallion Sets: Golden Prospects, HR Kings, On-Base Leaders, Power Plus, RBI Kings, Rising Stars

Comments

• DeutscherGeistDeutscherGeist Posts: 2,990 ✭✭✭✭
    Tony Gwynn--- 3000 hits, batting titles

Cal Ripken---best short stop of his era, 3000 hits

Mark McGwire--- best power hitter of his era

Jim Rice---most feared hitter of his era

Goose Gossage---one of the most feared pitchers of his era

Tommy John---an innovation bears his name, put up some monster numbers

Jack Morris--- an all around real winner and World Series hero

Dale Murphy--- a short but sweet career, loved by fans, 2 MVPs

Steve Garvey--- one of the best first baseman and a real good hitter considering he played in Dodger's Stadium

Don Mattingly---best baseball player for a significant but short stretch, Steller defense for a long stretch, several single season recognitions, all time record holder for grand slams in a season and consecutive game homers hit
    "So many of our DREAMS at first seem impossible, then they seem improbable, and then, when we SUMMON THE WILL they soon become INEVITABLE "- Christopher Reeve

BST: Tennessebanker, Downtown1974, LarkinCollector, nendee
  • BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,457 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd cast four votes. Gwynn and Ripken are no-brainers. McGwire doesn't make it because of the steroids issue. Same reason Bonds should never make it even if he hits 1,000 home runs. I hated to see Gossage pitch against the Red Sox, he was so dominating in his era. Rice was just a monster who could flat-out hit -- when opposing teams didn't pitch around him.

FIRST TIME:
    Tony Gwynn
    Cal Ripken, Jr.

RETURNING:
    Rich "Goose" Gossage
    Jim Rice
  • Tony Gwynn
    Cal Ripken, Jr
    Bert Blyleven
    Rich "Goose" Gossage
    Jim Rice

• << <i>Tony Gwynn
    Cal Ripken, Jr
    Bert Blyleven
    Rich "Goose" Gossage
    Jim Rice >>

This is my ballot, just add Jack Morris.
  • tennesseebankertennesseebanker Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭
    How about putting concepcion in this year ?

• Gwynn
    Big MAc
    Ripken
    Mattingly
    Garvey for pity sake
  • EstilEstil Posts: 6,919 ✭✭✭✭
    Okay, here are my reasons for picking who I picked:

Harold Baines - Well, we all know 3000 hits is an automatic first ballot bid, well, he's less than 150 hits short and has over 1600 RBIs, plus he also holds the record for most times his number's been retired and then unretired (three times; two coming back as a player and once as a coach). Surely that's close enough, right?

Tony Gwynn - 3000+ hits; nuff said.

Mark McGwire - Over 500 taters; nuff said. And just like it helped Mr. Puckett the fact he chose to stay in Minnesota for far less than his worth, so too did Mr. McGwire stay in St. Louis for far less than his worth at the time. I think that will help his chances and those of you who are voting against him because he used a legal (at the time) nutrutional suppliment and think he might have used illegal stuff are doing so for all the wrong reasons.

Cal Ripken, Jr - One of only seven players with 3000 hits/400 taters; nuff said. Oh yeah, there's that whole streak thing too...

Bert Blyleven - It simply is not fair to let everyone with 3000 hits in on the first ballot and not give the same treatment for 3000 K pitchers (and there's less than half of those). Not to mention he's got 287 wins and 60 career shutouts (VERY underrated credential).

Andre Dawson - Has over 2700 hits and just shy of 1600 RBIs; we have to let him in if I'm gonna vote for Mr. Baines.

Steve Garvey - Holds NL consecutive games record, near .300 career BA, over 1300 RBIs. Wouldn't that be fun for both him and Cal to go in together? Not likely, but still...

Goose Gossage - While 123 wins and 301 saves seem rather weak by themselves, both of them together indicate a strong starter and reliever.

Don Mattingly - No, I'm not just voting for him because he's my boyhood idol, his stats are near identical to Ryne Sandberg's (nine Gold Gloves, MVP, 2000+ hits, 1000+ RBIs and runs, retired number) and to a lesser extent, Kirby Puckett. If it had not been for the 1994 strike and/or he stuck around another year, he'd have his championship and would be in on the first ballot. If Mr. Sandberg and Mr. Puckett (I for one was shocked when he got in on the first ballot) go in the HOF, so too should Mr. Mattingly.

Jim Rice - If Mr. Blyleven is the best eligible pitcher not in, then perhaps Mr. Rice is the best hitter not in. He's got a near .300 BA, 382 homers, 1249 runs, 2400+ hits...

I changed my Mr. Murphy vote because I think his overall stats are too weak. Remember, I always look at overall career numbers first and foremost.
    WISHLIST
    Dimes: 54S, 53P, 50P, 49S, 45D+S, 44S, 43D, 41S, 40D+S, 39D+S, 38D+S, 37D+S, 36S, 35D+S, all 16-34's
    74 Topps: 37,38,46,47,48,138,151,193,210,214,223,241,256,264,268,277,289,316,435,552,570,577,592,602,610,654,655
    1995 Ultra Gold Medallion Sets: Golden Prospects, HR Kings, On-Base Leaders, Power Plus, RBI Kings, Rising Stars
  • dallasactuarydallasactuary Posts: 4,113 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Blyleven
    Ripken
    Gwynn
    Trammell

And I'd write in Ron Santo, whether the vote counted or not.
    This is for you @thisistheshow - Jim Rice was actually a pretty good player.
  • First itme-Ripken & Gwynn
    Returning-Dawson, Morris, Mattingly

<< <i>And I'd write in Ron Santo, whether the vote counted or not. >>

That's the Vets Committe's job, and they sure dropped the ball on Buck O'Neill last year. Please do not vote Mr. O'Neill in now. They should've done that while the man was still alive and could enjoy it.

And as for Mr. Santo, he did say that getting his number retired was his Hall of Fame (according to Wikipedia). I guess some players really do consider getting your jersey retired a greater honor than the HOF.
    WISHLIST
  • 1420sports1420sports Posts: 3,473 ✭✭✭
    Big Mac doesn't deserve to get in this soon ... if ever.
    collecting various PSA and SGC cards
  • Blyleven
    Ripken
    Gwynn
    Trammell
    Morris

Edited to add: Ripken should get in, and not because of his consecutive games record. I have worked full time for 10 years, and I have yet to take a day off that was not earned via vacation time or personal/sick days. Keep in mind, I work all year round, and Ripken did for 6 months, and I have gone to work with a 3rd degree separated shoulder when the arm was needed for the job!
  • FIRST TIME:
    Harold Baines
    Tony Gwynn
    Cal Ripken, Jr.

RETURNING
    Bert Blyleven
    Andre Dawson
    Rich "Goose" Gossage
    Jack Morris
    Jim Rice
  • gregmo32gregmo32 Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭
    Ripken - unbelievable list of credentials with a gigantic cherry on top, would be first ballot if he missed 20 games a year
    Gwynn - one of the very best hitters ever, great fielder, was drafted to play in the NBA before he got fat (just thought that was cool)
    Gossage - unbelievably dominant and awe-inspiring for a lot of great teams, history will judge him very well
    Rice - dominant hitter for a long time, if not for quick fade late in his career would have been a complete no-brainer
    Blyleven - underrated and a victim of the mystical number 300, great numbers, fantastic pitcher

Side notes: Albert Belle could really hit. Murphy was really good and likeable, Baines was one of my favorites, Mattingly will eventually get close, Morris should probably get in some day, Mcgwire would get my vote if he wasn't so one-dimensional (a dimension that was no doubt largely due to his substance use) or have been clean of cheating (though I wonder why every one votes for the admitted ball scuffing pitchers, too), Tommy John is one of those guys that shows that not every really good player should get in, Eric Davis looked like Willie Mays at one point, and Orel Hershiser probably should get a lot more votes than he does.
    I am buying and trading for RC's of Wilt Chamberlain, George Mikan, Bill Russell, Oscar Robertson, Jerry West, and Bob Cousy!
    Don't waste your time and fees listing on ebay before getting in touch me by PM or at gregmo32@aol.com !
  • kcballboykcballboy Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭
    Now

Ripken
    Gwynn
    McGwire
    Blyleven
    Dawson
    Rice
    Gossage

Not now but later
    Baines eventually gets in. Very underrated productive hitter even in his later years.
    Belle was IMO the best hitter in the mid to late 90's, who could have had 600 hr's if not for his hip.
    Lee Smith - not many closers will get in but the guy with the record (until this year) will eventually be one of them
    Murphy probably in a slow year
    Jack Morris for his playoff performances and solid numbers
    Paul O'Neill and Don Mattingly because they were Yankees (just kidding)
    Travis

<< <i>Albert Belle could really hit. >>

Joey Belle!? The Dennis Rodman of baseball? Give me a break. image Though to be fair Mr. Rodman does belong in the b-ball HOF, but that's a whole 'nother topic.
    WISHLIST
    I did not say Belle was a HOFer, but who knows the numbers he would have put up if not for an injury that ended his career. And now he is in prison, I think.
    I am buying and trading for RC's of Wilt Chamberlain, George Mikan, Bill Russell, Oscar Robertson, Jerry West, and Bob Cousy!
    Don't waste your time and fees listing on ebay before getting in touch me by PM or at gregmo32@aol.com !
  • Who knows how great Mark Fidrych would have been if injuries did not ruin his career!
    McGwire will not get voted in next year ... inflated steroid numbers.

Take away his steroid years, and he is Dave Kingman in a Cards uniform.
  • Take away those steroids, and baseball will be struggling to tread water!
    Take away those steroids, and baseball will be struggling to tread water!

I disagree completely. I would guess that the average baseball fan would still attend as many games if MLB really enforced the steroid policy.

BTW, that is a bold statement coming from a hockey fan.

• And I am not talking about the current steroid policies. I, like many, remember the magic summer of '98, remember, the juice brothers got us all watching!

I like sports a ton, hockey more than other sports, but just because I am a die hard hockey fan, does not mean I do not know about other sports.
    like sports a ton, hockey more than other sports, but just because I am a die hard hockey fan, does not mean I do not know about other sports.

wasn't inferring that at all ...

98 was great, to say the least. I think there were some suspicions back then, but nothing like the last two years.

Baseball would be better off w/o steroids, even if it means outing some superstars.
  • Probably would be better off, and I am not going to rehash old threads, but if you boot the juicers, then those who took speed should also be booted, and their records removed. Roids may be a performance enhancer, but if you needed speed to be more alert, that is also performance enhancing, or am I incorrect?

McGwire spoke freely about andro, and it was not illegal in baseball at the time, but people still talked about how his pursuit was tainted because of that. After hearing about him taking it, I went out and got some, and it worked for me for the brief time I took it.

Jose Canseco came out with a book and exposed a ton of talk and fodder, true or not, right or wrong, if baseball purists want Bonds out, then why is Canseco not a first ballot HOFer, for merely mentioning the truth. And why is a great player of the last decade always under the microscope? One cannot compare Ivan Rodriguez to Johnny Bench, because I-Rod (may) have juiced.

But there are too many double standards in society and in sports, so what can be done. The answer is, nothing! Tomorrow, next week, next season, the next decade, another designer drug will come out and be taken, technology and science have dark sides to them, and always will! But in my honest opinion, juicing is not going to help you hit a 90 MPH fastball, especially 450 feet. Who can actually equate how much higher a percentage steroids give you in power, say, hitting a ball 450 feet, over 400 feet!

McGwire does deserve to be in the Hall, so does Sosa, maybe not the first ballot, but most definitely in. Remember, no matter how much many hate them now, or just dislike what they did to play the game, both were great human beings, did a ton for their communities. They did more than I would do, because I do not care about my community profiting off my hard work, and I doubt either of them had their communities do anything for them! Just my two cents, well, my $1.50!
  • AxtellAxtell Posts: 10,037 ✭✭

<< <i>
    Baseball would be better off w/o steroids, even if it means outing some superstars. >>

I couldn't disagree with you more. I think a huge steroids bust, in which big name stars were 'outed', would do as much (if not more) damage as the player's strike that cancelled the world series.

Baseball is in deep trouble...while attendance may be up, tv ratings and revenue for the clubs continues to decline.

• McGwire is a Hall Of Famer. No Doubt about it. same goes for Soa and Bonds.
  • grote15grote15 Posts: 29,520 ✭✭✭✭✭
    McGwire is a Hall Of Famer. No Doubt about it. same goes for Soa and Bonds.

For the Hall of Shame, first ballot for sure...

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
    I think one difference between Bonds and Mcgwire is that Bonds would have been a HOFer had he retired before he started on the juice. Mcgwire hit a lot of home runs, really far sometimes, and did very little else. Without "help", he does not have much to argue a Hall of Fame resume.
  • SDSportsFanSDSportsFan Posts: 5,088 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Gwynn
    McGwire
    Ripken
    Blyleven
    Dawson
    Garvey
    Gossage
    John
    Morris
    Murphy

Steve
  • DeutscherGeistDeutscherGeist Posts: 2,990 ✭✭✭✭
    It was never proven McGwire did anything illegal. I am not his biggest fan and if it was ever proven he did illegal substances, then I will be the first to come on here to say so. It is very hurtful to be accused of something without the hard proof to back it up. I will give him the benefit of the doubt for now. After all, he hit 49 homers in his rookie season well before the steroid talk. Its not like he was not a very capable power hitter.

Also, I don't think McGwire was as one-dimensional as some suggest. He had a stellar glove. He was simply over shadowed by the top 3 defensive first baseman of all-time, not just of his era or last 50 years. The season that Mattingly was overcoming back surgery (1990) and played a low amount of games was when McGwire finally won the Gold Glove. He was an awesome power hitter, had excellent on base percentage, had a stellar glove. I admit, he did not hit a lot of those singles, doubles and triples, but he got on base and I think that is the more important stat. Yes, you can knock him for speed.

"So many of our DREAMS at first seem impossible, then they seem improbable, and then, when we SUMMON THE WILL they soon become INEVITABLE "- Christopher Reeve

BST: Tennessebanker, Downtown1974, LarkinCollector, nendee
  • stevekstevek Posts: 27,704 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My votes are in bold.

FIRST TIME:
    Harold Baines
    Derek Bell
    Dante Bichette
    Bobby Bonilla
    Jeff Brantley
    Jay Buhner
    Ken Caminiti
    Jose Canseco
    Norm Charlton
    Chad Curtis
    Eric Davis
    Tony Fernandez
    Mark Gardner
    Tony Gwynn
    Darryl Hamilton
    Pete Harnisch
    Charlie Hayes
    Doug Henry
    Glenallen Hill
    Ken Hill
    John Jaha
    Stan Javier
    Wally Joyner
    Dave Martinez
    Ramon Martinez
    Chuck McElroy
    Mark McGwire
    Joe Oliver
    Gregg Olson
    Paul O'Neill
    Scott Radinsky
    Cal Ripken, Jr.
    Bret Saberhagen
    Jeff Shaw
    Ed Sprague
    Kevin Tapani
    Devon White
    Bobby Witt

Albert Belle
    Bert Blyleven
    Dave Concepcion
    Andre Dawson
    Steve Garvey
    Rich "Goose" Gossage
    Orel Hershiser
    Tommy John
    Don Mattingly
    Jack Morris
    Dale Murphy
    Dave Parker
    Jim Rice
    Lee Smith
    Alan Trammell
    Just one comment whenever I see "best of his era" remarks. "Best of his era" is not a qualification or should be a consideration for the Hall of Fame. For example say all the 2nd basemen in an era stunk...should that mean the one who stunk the least should be in the Hall of Fame because he was the "best of his era?" - Definitely not!
    I'm not going to get into the usual argument with some of these pathetic selections. Suffice to say if you didn't see the player play then the rule should be you shouldn't be allowed to vote on that particular player!
    So does that mean all those guys from the Negro Leagues and the early days of baseball history that the Vets Committee voted in recently, those guys had no business voting them in either? Try again.
    WISHLIST

<< <i>So does that mean all those guys from the Negro Leagues and the early days of baseball history that the Vets Committee voted in recently, those guys had no business voting them in either? Try again. >>

That's a totally different situation. Stop acting stupid.

<< <i>
    FIRST TIME:
    Harold Baines
    Derek Bell
    Dante Bichette
    Bobby Bonilla
    Jeff Brantley
    Jay Buhner
    Ken Caminiti
    Jose Canseco
    Norm Charlton
    Chad Curtis
    Eric Davis
    Tony Fernandez
    Mark Gardner
    Tony Gwynn First Ballot - anyone not voting for him should never be allowed to vote again.
    Darryl Hamilton
    Pete Harnisch
    Charlie Hayes
    Doug Henry
    Glenallen Hill
    Ken Hill
    John Jaha
    Stan Javier
    Wally Joyner
    Dave Martinez
    Ramon Martinez
    Chuck McElroy
    Mark McGwire Absolutely. Baseball owes him, and his numbers on the field more than merit induction.
    Joe Oliver
    Gregg Olson
    Paul O'Neill
    Scott Radinsky
    Cal Ripken, Jr. Another guy that should be a 100% pick.
    Bret Saberhagen
    Jeff Shaw
    Ed Sprague
    Kevin Tapani
    Devon White
    Bobby Witt

Albert Belle
    Bert Blyleven
    Dave Concepcion
    Andre Dawson
    Steve Garvey
    Rich "Goose" Gossage Dominant, fear-inducing pitcher. Put him in, already.
    Orel Hershiser
    Tommy John
    Don Mattingly (are you kidding me?)
    [bJack Morris Amazing pitcher, get him in there.
    Dale Murphy
    Dave Parker
    Jim Rice Long, long past due. The media dorks need to stop holding grudges and vote on merit.
    Lee Smith
    Alan Trammell
    >>

I don't see mattingly ever getting in, even if he was a yankee. Just over 2100 hits, only one batting title, he just wasn't dominating long enough...a few great years does not a hall of famer make.

<< <i>McGwire will not get voted in next year ... inflated steroid numbers.

Take away his steroid years, and he is Dave Kingman in a Cards uniform. >>

His BA was a lot better than Mr. Kingman's! I mean look at his magical 1998 season; he hit more HR's than singles, and still hit .299. Go figure.
    WISHLIST
    1998 was a great season no doubt. Now that I look back, it seems jaded to me and many others.

I still find it hard to believe that many people here feel McGwire gets the vote his first year.
  • WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    Gwynn.......95% of vote lock

Ripken........94% of vote lock

Blyleven.......77% of vote.......possible

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    McGwire......45% of vote
    Good for you.
    There is an outside shot, in my opinion, that Ripken or even Gwynn will be the first unanimous pick.

• << <i>

<< <i>Albert Belle could really hit. >>

Joey Belle!? The Dennis Rodman of baseball? Give me a break. image Though to be fair Mr. Rodman does belong in the b-ball HOF, but that's a whole 'nother topic. >>

Just to play devil's advocate, people often say that player's should be dominant for a 10-year span to be considered for the Hall of Fame. Well, compare Belle's numbers (HR, RBIs, Doubles, Batting Average) to anyone's from 1990 to 2000 and they look pretty darn good.
    No no no, I will vote for all the other guys on that ballot before I vote for the Dennis Rodman of baseball. image

And yes, back then that is really what I refered to Mr. Belle as. I mean sure, he might not have dressed as, eh, differently and may not have had as, eh, colorful of a personality, but he was about as fan unfriendly and as controversial as any baseball player in recent memory, so I think the title fits. You could say he's an anti-Cal Ripken Jr. image
    WISHLIST

<< <i>

Blyleven.......77% of vote.......possible

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    McGwire......45% of vote >>

No way blyleven will go to 77%, when he got 53% last year? No way.

Rice and Gossage perhaps, as they were both above 60% last time.
  • yawie99yawie99 Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭
    I'd vote for Gwynn and McGwire, probably Ripken and possibly Rice.
    imageimageimageimageimageimage
    Bert Blyleven? Did anybody who put him on their list actually watch this guy play? He was an above average, sometimes excellent pitcher at best who had a workhorse arm and was able to build up stats after playing for a long time. That to me should not be a Hall of Famer. I don't want to see above average or even excellent players in the Hall of Fame. The Hall of Fame should be reserved for Great players, and GREAT players only. Name me one hitter who ever said before a game, "Oh my goodness, I gotta face Bert Blyleven today." I'm sick and tired of allowing these types of players in the Hall of Fame. Wasn't anything learned from voting in Bill Mazeroski? If Mazeroski hadn't hit that 1960 WS HR - he would have only gotten in the Hall of Fame if he bought a public admission ticket.
    I thought he got in because he was the greatest defensive 2nd baseman of all time?
    WISHLIST

<< <i>I thought he got in because he was the greatest defensive 2nd baseman of all time? >>

Saying a 2nd baseman played the greatest defense is like saying he was the tallest midget in the circus.
  • bishopbishop Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭
    Dallas
    Agree or disagree I like the analysis you bring to the debate. Now, if only any of us had a vote that mattered, that would be the opinion that mattered most in the end
    Topps Baseball-1948, 1951 to 2017
    Bowman Baseball -1948-1955
    Fleer Baseball-1923, 1959-2007

Al
  • First Timers:

Harold Baines
    Tony fernandez
    Paul O'Neill
    Cal Ripken
    Mark McGwire
    Tony Gwynn

Returning:

Bert Blyleven
    Steve Garvey
    Jim Rice
    Tommy John

Reason?

Ripken and Gwynn will get in. We need some warm bodies to remain on the ballot for the next few HOF caliber lacking years
    Next MONTH? So he's saying that if he wins, the best-case scenario is that he'll be paying for it two weeks after the auction ends?

Forget blocking him; find out where he lives and go punch him in the nuts. --WalterSobchak 9/12/12

Looking for Al Hrabosky and any OPC Dave Campbells (the ESPN guy)
  • dallasactuarydallasactuary Posts: 4,113 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Bert Blyleven? Did anybody who put him on their list actually watch this guy play? He was an above average, sometimes excellent pitcher at best who had a workhorse arm and was able to build up stats after playing for a long time. That to me should not be a Hall of Famer. I don't want to see above average or even excellent players in the Hall of Fame. The Hall of Fame should be reserved for Great players, and GREAT players only. Name me one hitter who ever said before a game, "Oh my goodness, I gotta face Bert Blyleven today." I'm sick and tired of allowing these types of players in the Hall of Fame. Wasn't anything learned from voting in Bill Mazeroski? If Mazeroski hadn't hit that 1960 WS HR - he would have only gotten in the Hall of Fame if he bought a public admission ticket. >>

I realize that the possibility of my changing your mind is rather small, but I'm enjoying this so I hope you'll keep playing along.

First, I could not agree more with your basic point about the HOF. There are a great many players in there that infuriate me. I could point out literally hundreds of players that were better than Jim Hunter or George Kelly or Bruce Sutter or Harry Hooper and so on, but that is NOT an argument that they deserve to be inducted. The HOF should be reserved for "great" players, absolutely.

The problem is, Bert Blyleven WAS a great pitcher. It's actually quite impossible to construct a reasonable argument otherwise based on how I define "great". Now, if you're arguing that the HOF should only have 20 pitchers in it, then you're right, Bert Blyleven does not belong in THAT HOF. But there's the other problem - I don't know what you mean by "great".

So, what do you mean by "great"? I would need to see a definition of "great" that excluded Bert Blyleven from the 50 greatest pitchers who ever played to believe it could exist. Bill James puts him in the top 40, I would put him in the top 30 - where do you think he belongs and can you name some other pitchers that you would place right in front of or behind him? {Please don't name Jim Kaat or Tommy John, because it is just too easy to prove Blyleven was better than them - name someone in the HOF if possible.} There are 60 pitchers not from the Negro Leagues in the HOF - how many of them do you think are mistakes?

I'll understand if you don't want to spend the time it will take to answer these questions completely, but unless you do (or anyone else arguing against Blyleven's HOF worthiness does) we're just arguing in different languages, and "great" has no meaning. And if there is any way to check on this, I'm willing to bet a great deal of money that there were many, many players who put Blyleven at the top of their "I don't want to face him" list or second only to Ryan. When Ryan struck you out there was at least a good chance you went down like a man taking a hard swing at the ball - Blyleven just made batters look foolish. I'm not sure what years you watched him play, but if you missed him on Minnesota in the early 70's, then you missed a show that only Ryan and Carlton could match.

As for Mazeroski, his induction doesn't bother me. Again, this goes back to the meaning of "great" which we are using without first defining. But Bill Mazeroski was a great second baseman by any definition - probably the greatest who ever played the game, and almost certainly the greatest ever at the time he retired. Now, the "tallest midget" comment, while amusing and a little harsh, also makes a good point. Being the greatest second baseman is a universe less important than being the greatest hitter or pitcher, and much less important than being the greatest shortstop or catcher. But it is more important than being the greatest left-handed long-relief specialist, greatest pinch hitter or greatest first baseman. So I think the Hall of Fame should set aside spots for players like Mazeroski; I think there is value in preserving for all-time that Mazeroski played his position better than any other player had for a hundred years. I would rather that the HOF had separate wings for such players, or would identify that they were getting in for some reason other than their overall playing ability, but they don't. Still, the HOF better represents baseball by including players like Mazeroski than it would by excluding them.
    This is for you @thisistheshow - Jim Rice was actually a pretty good player.