Home U.S. Coin Forum

1955 S lincoln penny

Here is one i found looking through some uncirculated 1955 S pennies.I think this a big error so I put it on Ebay to see what i can get for it...I put the reserve at $20.00 since i didn't know what it is worth..The item number is 320038107891 just you are interested in looking at it or bidding on it.Thanks

Comments

• STONESTONE Posts: 15,275
    It is a fairly common BIE error.

many dates have this extra piece of metal in that spot. I'm not sure why all these coins have it in that spot though.

you might be able to get $1 from it, but good luck with the sale.
  • RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭

<< <i>The item number is 320038107891 just you are interested in looking at it or bidding on it. >>

Thanks for the heads up.

Russ, NCNE
  • JRoccoJRocco Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's fairly common.
    How is this one for a IIB?
    Some coins are just plain "Interesting"
  • Cool looking coin...
  • bigtime36bigtime36 Posts: 961 ✭✭✭✭
    That last one looks kinda like Lincolns ear...lol

Collect raw morgans, walkers, mercs, SLQ, barber q. Looking at getting into earlier date coins pre 1900s.

• I just joined PCGS - sorry to pull up an old post but I was searching for information on my 1955 S with the blob between the B and E like the one talked about on this post. The coin looks like a proof except it is an S mint. Will PCGS still grade one like this with the blob - error or whatever it would be called?
    Also I have pulled out some of my old Lincolns which still look great but several have the carbon spots - small but maybe 1 to 3 spots on several nice coins. Does this kill the grade or will they even give a grade with the carbon spots?
    Thanks - Rick
    "I CAN'T COMPLAIN BUT SOMETIMES I STILL DO" - SMOKY JOE WALSH - - -
    Always looking for 53 Topps Baseball and "stuff"
  • originalisbestoriginalisbest Posts: 5,911 ✭✭✭✭
    Welcome Rick (I like '53 Topps BB too! One of my favorite sets, wonderful vintage paintings throughout.) As to your coins, PCGS with grade your piece with the "blob" as it's a mint-made defect,
    but as noted in the thread it's fairly common to see. The grade won't reflect the blob so much as the overall condition of the piece.

As to your cents with carbon spots, if they're more "flecks" than anything, they'll grade, but certainly not as high as they would without flecks. Don't try removing or poking at them though, as it's bound to fail and perhaps leave you with an ungradeable coin. Now, if the spots are anything sizeable, "ugly" or growing (or green!) that may well prevent the coin from getting a numerical grade. Hope that helps!
  • Thanks for the help - trying to get my first submission in coins together from my ancient childhood collection. The carbon spots are just black dots - pretty small and no green or life to them. My progress on the 53 Topps kind of lost steam so I dug out the coins for the first time in 23 years - I was amazed at what I had forgotten about in those boxes!
    It's fun to do both - periodically I'll lose steam on a project, but come back to it later -- whatever keeps it fun! Good luck with your submission, and if you care to/can post images on the board, folks can let you know "sure, get that graded" or "I wouldn't bother" image

Since it's your childhood collection, the relative "worth" of getting some pieces graded may not matter at all. image
  • I will try some pictures soon but I have a new scanner and limited knowledge. The childhood coins deal is kind of neat as I am not always trying to balance the cost of grading in with the value and all - just fun to see see how my coins stand up after all these years. One I want to grade is my first actual purchase at a coin store - it is a 1909 VDB - nice coin and I shelled out $3.75 for it back in 1970! All before that were sorted out of change, rolls from the bank etc.
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Welcome back to coins Rick.... Cheers, RickO
  • FredWeinbergFredWeinberg Posts: 5,714 ✭✭✭✭✭
    PCGS will NOT certify minor
    die cracks/blobs/chips, etc.

Please don't waste your
    money on sumission fees,
    etc., for such coins.........
    Retired Collector & Dealer in Major Mint Error Coins & Currency since the 1960's.Co-Author of Whitman's "100 Greatest U.S. Mint Error Coins", and the Error Coin Encyclopedia, Vols., III & IV. Retired Authenticator for Major Mint Errors
    for PCGS. A 49+-Year PNG Member...A full numismatist since 1972, retired in 2022
    Fred, he's not wasting his money nor expecting PCGS to certify his minor die chip, etc. as a rare error - he just wants to holder some coins he's had since childhood. Pretty clearly stated that he's not worried about the "worthwhileness" of holdering some of his pieces. image
  • FredWeinbergFredWeinberg Posts: 5,714 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I was replying to the OP - Bigrig52,
    not the subsequent posert about
    the childhood coins.

I understand folks wanting to do
    something special with 'old childhood'
    coins, but that doesn't mean it makes
    good sense to spend $50-$75 to
    slab a $1 coin, does it?
    Retired Collector & Dealer in Major Mint Error Coins & Currency since the 1960's.Co-Author of Whitman's "100 Greatest U.S. Mint Error Coins", and the Error Coin Encyclopedia, Vols., III & IV. Retired Authenticator for Major Mint Errors
    for PCGS. A 49+-Year PNG Member...A full numismatist since 1972, retired in 2022
  • joeykoinsjoeykoins Posts: 14,787 ✭✭✭✭✭
    imageFred, you are the man!

"Jesus died for you and for me, Thank you,Jesus"!!!

--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.
  • tahoe98tahoe98 Posts: 11,388 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I was replying to the OP - Bigrig52,
    the childhood coins.

slab a $1 coin, does it? >>

...yeah but it does help my PCGS stock! image
    "government is not reason, it is not eloquence-it is a force! like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master; never for a moment should it be left to irresponsible action." George Washington

<< <i>I was replying to the OP - Bigrig52,
    the childhood coins.

slab a $1 coin, does it? >>

Bigrig's post was from 2006. image It doesn't have to make good sense, that's the whole point. And is PCGS charging $50-$75 to slab one cheap coin nowadays? Man, prices have gone up! image

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file