Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Type Set!!

Comments

• Options
    InYHWHWeTrustInYHWHWeTrust Posts: 1,448 ✭✭✭
    I am glad you took the time to post it here, esp. knowing you would get criticism from some naysayers.

I enjoy seeing the creativity others put into their sets, and this was a pure delight.

Thanks!

Don

Edited to add: I desperately need that 20c piece for my 7070 image
    Do your best to avoid circular arguments, as it will help you reason better, because better reasoning is often a result of avoiding circular arguments.
  • Options
    shylockshylock Posts: 4,288 ✭✭✭
    Awesome coins and beautiful album images, I love posts like this.

The 1893 IH and 1865 2Cent piece are unusual selections, but you did a great job of imaging them so I'll let them slide image

• Options
    oh, man, what beautiful coins!!! Makes my type collection look pathetic.

Still looking................
    "Acts of folly are the only things that one doesn't regret in life"
  • Options

<< <i>Awesome coins and beautiful album images, I love posts like this.

The 1893 IH and 1865 2Cent piece are unusual selections, but you did a great job of imaging them so I'll let them slide image >>

Shylock the Indian Cent falls under the MS70 Controversy image But the 2 cent piece on the other hand is image
  • Options
    I am not sure how well you can see it in the picture, so here is the 1820 Large Cent.... Randall Hoard image

• Options
    BunkerBunker Posts: 3,926
    That 7070 is a image stopper! Beautiful coins image

My daughter was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes at the age of 2 (2003). My son was diagnosed with Type 1 when he was 17 on December 31, 2009. We were stunned that another child of ours had been diagnosed. Please, if you don't have a favorite charity, consider giving to the JDRF (Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation)

JDRF Donation
  • Options
    AZLARRYAZLARRY Posts: 1,189 ✭✭
    The owner can be very proud of that 7070, your pictures are excellent.
  • Options
    LeeGLeeG Posts: 12,162

<< <i>There is no secret who this set belongs to. EZ_E(Victor) is the proud owner of this set. It is a very stunning collection as it sits. He says he is not done yet. >>

"Super Nice" 7070 Type Set!!!!!!image Not an easy chore. I recognize a coin in thereimage I'm happy it went into a set as nice as this one.image
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>There is no secret who this set belongs to. EZ_E(Victor) is the proud owner of this set. It is a very stunning collection as it sits. He says he is not done yet. >>

"Super Nice" 7070 Type Set!!!!!!image Not an easy chore. I recognize a coin in thereimage I'm happy it went into a set as nice as this one.image >>

Yes he speaks fondly of that coin. image
  • Options
    BunkerBunker Posts: 3,926
    If it is not to much trouble can you post the picture of the 1859 IHC?

My daughter was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes at the age of 2 (2003). My son was diagnosed with Type 1 when he was 17 on December 31, 2009. We were stunned that another child of ours had been diagnosed. Please, if you don't have a favorite charity, consider giving to the JDRF (Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation)

JDRF Donation
  • Options
    SkyManSkyMan Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭✭✭
    BEAUTIFUL set and great photos!!! image I really like the mixture of proof and ms.
  • Options

<< <i>If it is not to much trouble can you post the picture of the 1859 IHC? >>

Here is the obverse... Not sure what I did with the reverse right now.

• Options
    Here is a look at the 3CN

• Options

<< <i>Awesome ! imageimage

The 1860 quarter is the noticable out of wack piece.
    I think i like the 1859 Indian cent the best. The shield nickel --perhaps it is just lighting looks copperish.

Thanks for sharing ! Very nice set. Bob >>

ask IGWT about the 1866. That image is his. The coin is a stunner from what I hear. The owner got that coin after I imaged his set.
  • Options

<< <i>That set is a real heart-stopper. I can only assume the one missing Seated half dollar will soon turn into a cameo proof, although I have to say it would be comical if the collector decided to finish it off with a holed AG-3! >>

That would be quite humorous, maybe like something from my type set!
    "From Time to Time the Tree of Liberty Must be Refreshed with the Blood of Patriots and of Tyrants"

--Thomas Jefferson
  • Options
    CoxeCoxe Posts: 11,139
    Nice and attractive. Fill the holes, and upgrade the Morgan (I suggest a 79-S, 80-S or 81-S DMPL), the 20c piece and couple other seated and you will be great.
    Select Rarities -- DMPLs and VAMs
    NSDR - Life Member
    SSDC - Life Member
    ANA - Pay As I Go Member
  • Options

<< <i>Nice and attractive. Fill the holes, and upgrade the Morgan (I suggest a 79-S, 80-S or 81-S DMPL), the 20c piece and couple other seated and you will be great. >>

I think the owner likes the CC Morgan. I could be wrong and he could upgrade it one day.
  • Options
    CoxeCoxe Posts: 11,139
    Well then the CC Morgan upgrade would be great. I understand the appeal on those.
    Select Rarities -- DMPLs and VAMs
    NSDR - Life Member
    SSDC - Life Member
    ANA - Pay As I Go Member
  • Options
    a DMPL would be really cool. Speaking of cool here is one of the Dimes. Came from Mark Feld, so the owner told me.

• Options
    WOW that is a helluva nice set. It puts my capitol to shame. BE carefull with those nice proofs. I remember reading years ago in a photograde where a nice proof quater eagle was damaged by a slide. I wish capitol made a holder like the Dansco 70/70
  • Options

<< <i>WOW that is a helluva nice set. It puts my capitol to shame. BE carefull with those nice proofs. I remember reading years ago in a photograde where a nice proof quater eagle was damaged by a slide. I wish capitol made a holder like the Dansco 70/70 >>

The Owner is very carefull with the set. Even when I photoed the set I was a bit nervous for the reason you mentioned.
  • Options
    johnsim03johnsim03 Posts: 992 ✭✭

Absolutely stunning, and a joy to behold! Thanks for sharing it.

John

John C. Knudsen, LM ANA 2342, LM CSNS 337
    SFC, US Army (Ret.) 1974-1994
  • Options
    How about a seated Proof QTR?

• Options

<< <i>Thanks for sharing-

Now I can never post mine! >>

No kidding! I really enjoy posts like this but at the same time, they kind of make me discouraged because that is a set that I will NEVER be able to come close to completing in any kind of comparable quality.
  • Options
    lkeneficlkenefic Posts: 7,862 ✭✭✭✭✭
    yeah...this set is alot further along than I am as well...L

BTW...I love the 1820 LC...
    Collecting: Dansco 7070; Middle Date Large Cents (VF-AU); Box of 20;

Successful BST transactions with: SilverEagles92; Ahrensdad; Smitty; GregHansen; Lablade; Mercury10c; copperflopper; whatsup; KISHU1; scrapman1077, crispy, canadanz, smallchange, robkool, Mission16, ranshdow, ibzman350, Fallguy, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, jwitten, Walkerguy21D, dsessom.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Thanks for sharing-

Now I can never post mine! >>

No kidding! I really enjoy posts like this but at the same time, they kind of make me discouraged because that is a set that I will NEVER be able to come close to completing in any kind of comparable quality. >>

You and me both... Its ok though I am sure it will all be great when you and I get ours done.
  • Options
    itsnotjustmeitsnotjustme Posts: 8,777 ✭✭✭
    What a set! Clearly one of our crackout for the 7070 guys I suspect!
    Give Blood (Red Bags) & Platelets (Yellow Bags)!
  • Options
    DD Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭
    Heh, Kennedy looks AH at first glance...

-Daniel
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."

-Aristotle

Dum loquimur fugerit invida aetas. Carpe diem quam minimum credula postero.

-Horace
  • Options
    coinlieutenantcoinlieutenant Posts: 9,305 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I used to own the capped bust dime....sold it to a board member, who must have sold it to him. Gorgeous coin, ex Norweb if I remember correctly.

I think I am the first to say this, but I dont think those are sitting in a DANSCO album. I think they are great pics but have been photoshopped into the Dansco...

Am I wrong Bruce?

John
  • Options
    No need to reply...I know that they arent sitting in the Dansco.

Having taken quite a few pics myself, the coins dont all exibit the same type of photo characteristics. It is impossible to have proofs and MS coins photoed with different aspects brought to the front...namely color and/or mirrors...

Nice trick, but you didnt get it by me. image

• Options

<< <i>I used to own the capped bust dime....sold it to a board member, who must have sold it to him. Gorgeous coin, ex Norweb if I remember correctly.

I think I am the first to say this, but I dont think those are sitting in a DANSCO album. I think they are great pics but have been photoshopped into the Dansco...

Am I wrong Bruce?

John >>

I will answer both questions. Yes thats the coin ex-norweb! The coins were photoed one at a time then then cut and pasted in to the album. Nobody can photo a whole page of coins like this and get them all right.
  • Options

<< <i>What a set! Clearly one of our crackout for the 7070 guys I suspect! >>

Correct the owner has cracked out many coins. The owners name has been posted in the thread. He is usally across the street.
  • Options

<< <i>No need to reply...I know that they arent sitting in the Dansco.

Having taken quite a few pics myself, the coins dont all exibit the same type of photo characteristics. It is impossible to have proofs and MS coins photoed with different aspects brought to the front...namely color and/or mirrors...

Nice trick, but you didnt get it by me. image >>

To clear any confusion. Every coin seen here is in the album. They were left in the album and photoed. After that the images were placed in the holes as you see them.

And to keep this on task... Here is another coin for viewing...

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>how does a 2-cent piece turn purple? It's a pretty cool color for a coin. I enjoyed putting together my 7070. >>

By removing lacquer? >>

Easter egg coloring?
  • Options
    WOW SOME OF THOSE COINS ARE UNREAL W/ AMAZING TONES!!! LOVE THE BLUE TWO CENT PIECE!!!!!!!!!!
    Positive BST transactions with: Patches, Greencopper, 09sVDB, Ajia, Whatsup, RpmHunter, tander123,ModCrewman,Lablade

• Options
    Bruce,

To me, it sounds as if you took all of the pictures...many of those are someone elses work, not yours and I dont think that is right.

John
  • Options
    BarryBarry Posts: 10,100 ✭✭✭
    Every coin seen here is in the album. They were left in the album and photoed. After that the images were placed in the holes as you see them.

I might do that if we have some snow days this winter. In my 7070 (link in sig line) the photos were done with the coin in the albums, 2 lines at a time, then pasted together in Photoshop. It is impossible to get good pics of all the coins this way. Since taking the original pics, I've upgraded a few of the original coins and did exactly what Bruce did - took an individual pic of the new coin, scaled it to size, then overlayed it on the old pic.
  • Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Heh, interesting approaches folks have taken for photographing the coins in the album, for These pictures of my album, I angled each page so that the top half was a good enough representation of the coins relative appearance, then did the same for the bottom half, then cut and pasted each page with a seam running horizontally across the halves.

I may try the "optimize each coin and then paste the circle in the hole" way someday. maybe after the next upgrade

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options

<< <i>Bruce,

To me, it sounds as if you took all of the pictures...many of those are someone elses work, not yours and I dont think that is right.

John >>

Jonh all the photos are mine but the 3 most recent added pieces. The 1832 Dime and the 1866 Nickel, and the 1839 Half dime. Those were purchases after I sent the set back to the owner. There was over 70 coins I photoed.
  • Options
    Fair enough Bruce, and I am not trying to start something...but if some arent yours, it should be acknowldeged...that is all. image

John
  • Options

<< <i>Fair enough Bruce, and I am not trying to start something...but if some arent yours, it should be acknowldeged...that is all. image

John >>

The 1866 is from IGWT (Lou)
    The 1839 is from Htubbs(Hayden)
    The 1832 is a PCGS True View Image
  • Options
    Very cool! My type set is in the same Dansco book! I don't have the modern page. But, I've put the gold page into my book.

Recently I've been getting a few pieces recertified as I noticed some spotting occuring on my copper coinage.

I've started a lot of type sets with my book. And, I use it when I speak at schools.

Well done.
  • Options
    This a great set. I was just relooking at it and WOW! Truly Stunning!
  • Options
    Its a beautiful set. I'm currently working on a type set too but I don't think I can come close to these grades.
  • Options
    Good luck SMK
  • Options
    zennyzenny Posts: 1,549
    Thanks for the resucitation, I missed it first time around and i'm very glad to catch it this time.

The row of the reverse wheatie, memorial, two center, trime, and 3cn is absolutely cool!

Nice job with the photos, Bruce, and congrats to the owner.

z
  • Options
    Zenny I agree some smoking coins in this set. I too love that row of coins!
  • Options
    A set like this needs to see the light sometimes... So to the top it goes...
  • Options
    Why does it look like some of the coins are superimposed into the picture?
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,875 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes !

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file