Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Type Set!!

Have a look and enjoy! Comments welcome!! This was imaged for a board member. I just finished it off not too long ago. Its not complete yet, but you can see where its going.

Comments

• Options
    RYKRYK Posts: 35,789 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice set. I really like the combination of proof and circulation strike coins. Excellent photography, too. You have nicely captured the coloring of the toned coins. image
  • Options
    BeeManBeeMan Posts: 361 ✭✭✭
    Every time I see one of these sets posted I tell myself to buy a 7070 and get started! Nice set.
    Watch the mirror count the lines
    The battle scars of all the good times
  • Options
    STONESTONE Posts: 15,275
    Ezcellent, beautiful coins there
  • Options
    <<Have a look and enjoy!>>

I did, thanx!

beautiful

Herb
    Remember it's not how you pick your nose that matters, it's where you put the boogers.
    imageimageimage
  • Options
    BarryBarry Posts: 10,100 ✭✭✭
    Great set! A few comments...

The color of the album pages seems off compared to mine. Did they change it or is it the pic?
    The 2 cent piece is from another planet!
    The No Motto Lib Seated Q doesn't fit with the rest of the set.
  • Options

<< <i>Great set! A few comments...

The color of the album pages seems off compared to mine. Did they change it or is it the pic?
    The 2 cent piece is from another planet!
    The No Motto Lib Seated Q doesn't fit with the rest of the set. >>

Any off color of the pages is due the images. This set is far from complete from what the owner told me, so you will have coins that do not fit. The 2 cent piece is really a site to see!
  • Options
    Here is the 2 cent piece...

• Options
    BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,458 ✭✭✭✭✭
    how does a 2-cent piece turn purple? It's a pretty cool color for a coin. I enjoyed putting together my 7070.
  • Options

<< <i>how does a 2-cent piece turn purple? It's a pretty cool color for a coin. I enjoyed putting together my 7070. >>

Thats a good question. One of which I cannot answer with 100% certainty. The coin goes from a deep rich brown to glowing when givin the right light. I always thought toning got darker as it progressed along eventually to black?
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>how does a 2-cent piece turn purple? It's a pretty cool color for a coin. I enjoyed putting together my 7070. >>

Thats a good question. One of which I cannot answer with 100% certainty. The coin goes from a deep rich brown to glowing when givin the right light. I always thought toning got darker as it progressed along eventually to black? >>

I don't know much about the progression of colorful toning for copper. Still a pretty cool sight to behold!
  • Options
    PreussenPreussen Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭
    Beautiful set, and amazing photography! image - Preussen
    "Illegitimis non carborundum" -General Joseph Stilwell. See my auctions
  • Options

<< <i>Nice set. I really like the combination of proof and circulation strike coins. Excellent photography, too. You have nicely captured the coloring of the toned coins. image >>

The owner stated he trys to pick up proof coins when possible or MS coins. Its a very nice work in progress.
  • Options
    RYKRYK Posts: 35,789 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The No Motto Lib Seated Q doesn't fit with the rest of the set.

I noticed that, too. I went back and looked at my set and have a few like that one that do not fit. These are from my boyhood collection, and I keep them in the album for sentimental reasons. Perhaps the owner has a similar attachment to this coin.
  • Options
    BarryBarry Posts: 10,100 ✭✭✭

By removing lacquer?
  • Options

<< <i>

By removing lacquer? >>

Lets not take this post there.
  • Options

<< <i>The No Motto Lib Seated Q doesn't fit with the rest of the set.

I noticed that, too. I went back and looked at my set and have a few like that one that do not fit. These are from my boyhood collection, and I keep them in the album for sentimental reasons. Perhaps the owner has a similar attachment to this coin. >>

I think the owner wants to upgrade this coin. Rome was not built in a day.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>The No Motto Lib Seated Q doesn't fit with the rest of the set.

I noticed that, too. I went back and looked at my set and have a few like that one that do not fit. These are from my boyhood collection, and I keep them in the album for sentimental reasons. Perhaps the owner has a similar attachment to this coin. >>

I think the owner wants to upgrade this coin. Rome was not built in a day. >>

When I put together my set, I ended up upgrading a number of the coins as well. Still have one more upgrade to do (seated dollar with motto, want to move from a 50 to a 55 with thick skin)
  • Options
    HeywoodHeywood Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭
    Thanks for sharing-

Now I can never post mine!

A witty saying proves nothing- Voltaire (1694 - 1778)

An error does not become truth by reason of multiplied propagation, nor

does the truth become error because nobody will see it. -Mohandas K. Gandhi (1869-1948)
  • Options
    LeianaLeiana Posts: 4,349
    Cool!!

That's a lot farther along than I am! Nice photography. image

-Amanda

I'm a YN working on a type set!

My Buffalo Nickel Website Home of the Quirky Buffaloes Collection!

Proud member of the CUFYNA
  • Options

<< <i>Thanks for sharing-

Now I can never post mine! >>

Don't feel so bad. I am not sure mine would stand up to this one either but still a great set to put together!
  • Options

<< <i>Cool!!

That's a lot farther along than I am! Nice photography. image

-Amanda >>

Your set is coming along nicely. I wish I was where you are when I was your age.
  • Options
    A really nice set. I just started my 7070 and have had a lot of fun with it. You have some really nice half cents and large cents. Heck you have a lot of nice coins.
    Sean
    "You can't accumulate unless you speculate"
  • Options
    IGWTIGWT Posts: 4,975
    That 1866 5c is sweet, sweet, sweet. Nice set & great pictures, Bruce.
  • Options

<< <i>A really nice set. I just started my 7070 and have had a lot of fun with it. You have some really nice half cents and large cents. Heck you have a lot of nice coins.
    Sean >>

I wish I could claim this set. I just had the privledge of photoing this for a board member.
  • Options

<< <i>That 1866 5c is sweet, sweet, sweet. Nice set & great pictures, Bruce. >>

I wonder where it came from Lou?
  • Options
    That is a very nice Type Set!!!

Great job Bruceimage
  • Options
    richardshipprichardshipp Posts: 5,647 ✭✭✭
    Wow,

I've been wanting to start a 7070 myself. After seeing this set I don't whether to "get going faster" or "give up". Those are nice coins!
  • Options
    Bruce,

Awsome set, great pic's. My 7070 set is very similar, just wish my Barbers were as nice as yours!!
    Allen
    Love those TONED Coins, a true Addict!!!

Proud member of TCCS!
  • Options
    WaterSportWaterSport Posts: 6,709 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Spectacular!

WS
    Proud recipient of the coveted PCGS Forum "You Suck" Award Thursday July 19, 2007 11:33 PM and December 30th, 2011 at 8:50 PM.
  • Options
    Yeah, type set rule! That is a very nice set. Thanks for sharing the photos.
  • Options
    rec78rec78 Posts: 5,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Awesome ! imageimage

The 1860 quarter is the noticable out of wack piece.
    I think i like the 1859 Indian cent the best. The shield nickel --perhaps it is just lighting looks copperish.

Thanks for sharing ! Very nice set. Bob

• Options
    ziggy29ziggy29 Posts: 18,668 ✭✭✭
    Very nice set! I'm surprised there's little argument about the toning on some of the coppers. image
  • Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow, I'm impressed, not only with the quality of the coins and so many earlier proofs, but also with the courage to crack out such nice coins and place them into an album with slides. Please PLEASE post updated pictures when it is considered "done" (or even, "further")

Wonderful book image

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options
    flaminioflaminio Posts: 5,664 ✭✭✭
    Oh, my. Simply exquisite.
  • Options
    Another impressive 7070 post; thank you for sharing.

Those photographs are very nice and I like seeing the coins along with other coins on the pages instead of close-up pictures all pasted together.

I strive to put coins in my Type set similar to many of the coins shown in these sets on these boards, but it is VERY slow going for me.

The purple copper reminds me of certain discussions around here...
  • Options
    rheddenrhedden Posts: 6,619 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That set is a real heart-stopper. I can only assume the one missing Seated half dollar will soon turn into a cameo proof, although I have to say it would be comical if the collector decided to finish it off with a holed AG-3!
  • Options

<< <i>That set is a real heart-stopper. I can only assume the one missing Seated half dollar will soon turn into a cameo proof, although I have to say it would be comical if the collector decided to finish it off with a holed AG-3! >>

As I far as I know the owner still wants to make more upgrades.

Coins I am fairly sure he wants to upgrade

Seated Lib QTR No Motto
    Seated Lib QTR Arrows
    All 3 Seated Liberty Halfs
    Seated Liberty 1$ No Motto
    Trade Dollar

There could be more but I am not sure. This is one set I like alot.
  • Options

<< <i>Bruce,

Awsome set, great pic's. My 7070 set is very similar, just wish my Barbers were as nice as yours!!
    Allen >>

The owner of the set does have some very nice Barbers image
  • Options
    SmittysSmittys Posts: 9,876 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Stunning set...great pics
  • Options
    Bruce, that is an absolutely magnificent collection. There are some real beauties in there, and it must have been a lot of hard work assembling it. What a set!
  • Options
    xbobxbob Posts: 1,979
    That's a really nice set. Beautiful photographs too. It's probably difficult to get a full page shot and have them all be well lit and focused sharply. You did a great job! Thanks for sharing it.
    -Bob
    collections: Maryland related coins & exonumia, 7070 Type set, and Video Arcade Tokens.
    The Low Budget Y2K Registry Set
  • Options
    Is there a reason why the anonymous owner does not want to be revealed? The "owner" and "board member" is all I've noticed how him/her has been referred to. I would be excited and proud as all get out to show off a set like this.
  • Options
    keezkeez Posts: 842
    Beautiful set. I like to see the choices people make for filling the slots and the side by side comparison of the different years. Outstanding looking 7070. Thanks for posting.
  • Options

<< <i>Is there a reason why the anonymous owner does not want to be revealed? The "owner" and "board member" is all I've noticed how him/her has been referred to. I would be excited and proud as all get out to show off a set like this. >>

There is no secret who this set belongs to. EZ_E(Victor) is the proud owner of this set. It is a very stunning collection as it sits. He says he is not done yet.
  • Options

<< <i>Bruce, that is an absolutely magnificent collection. There are some real beauties in there, and it must have been a lot of hard work assembling it. What a set! >>

Mike I can tell you victor has put alot of work into this set! Just from the conversations back and forth we have had you can tell he really takes pride in this collection. He has every right to proud of a great set.
  • Options

<< <i>That's a really nice set. Beautiful photographs too. It's probably difficult to get a full page shot and have them all be well lit and focused sharply. You did a great job! Thanks for sharing it. >>

Xbob If I had imaged a whole page at a time with my Mega light it would not be as good. Each of the coins were pasted into the pages after the fact.
  • Options
    mirabelamirabela Posts: 4,970 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That is just fabulous. I almost needed to squeegee off my monitor after looking at that no-drapery dime.

mirabela
  • Options
    xbobxbob Posts: 1,979

<< <i>

<< <i>That's a really nice set. Beautiful photographs too. It's probably difficult to get a full page shot and have them all be well lit and focused sharply. You did a great job! Thanks for sharing it. >>

Xbob If I had imaged a whole page at a time with my Mega light it would not be as good. Each of the coins were pasted into the pages after the fact. >>

Ahh...now I see it. Very nice job indeed! When I get to imaging my in-progress, mediocre (compared to this one) 7070, I will copy your method - Shoot the coins as singles then paste into the full page pic.

Great work! image
    -Bob
    collections: Maryland related coins & exonumia, 7070 Type set, and Video Arcade Tokens.
    The Low Budget Y2K Registry Set
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

Xbob If I had imaged a whole page at a time with my Mega light it would not be as good. Each of the coins were pasted into the pages after the fact. >>

Ahh...now I see it. Very nice job indeed! When I get to imaging my in-progress, mediocre (compared to this one) 7070, I will copy your method - Shoot the coins as singles then paste into the full page pic.

Great work! image >>

Look forward to seeing it! I can tell you one thing. If I had to skills to shoot all the coins in one shot, many people would be knocking on my doors for photos.
  • Options

<< <i>Very nice set! I'm surprised there's little argument about the toning on some of the coppers. image >>

The owner does think the Proof Indian Cent falls under the MS 70 debate. The 2 cent piece is 100% NT.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file