Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

question about the Lincoln 1958/7

hi all, new new collector here. i read through all of the threads in the forums on here and coppercoins (and saw how it was discredited) but couldnt find an image.

does anyone have a picture or can describe what the 1958/7 was "supposed" to look like?

thanks in advance!

Comments

• Options
    krankykranky Posts: 8,709 ✭✭✭
    Welcome to the boards, NateS!

I think there was a photo of the alleged 1958/7 in Sol Taylor's book on Lincoln Cents.

New collectors, please educate yourself before spending money on coins; there are people who believe that using numismatic knowledge to rip the naïve is what this hobby is all about.

• Options
    MFHMFH Posts: 11,720 ✭✭✭✭
    Years ago, I bought a pair of 1958/7P & 1958/7D cents in an ANACS 66RD holders thru Teletrade - sight unseen - when they were just a phone auction company. Their "Breen" numbers are on the holders so someone at ANACS thought they were the real deal.

For the life of me I can't easily distinguish these overdates from the normal issue. I guess I'll check out Sol Taylor's book as well. Thanks for the tip.

Edited to say:

...and before Russ has a chance to say it:

Fresh Meat
    Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Coin collecting is not a hobby, it's an obsession !

New Barber Purchases
  • Options
    mozeppamozeppa Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭
    i'm pretty sure that that whats called the 58 over 57 has been determined to be a die gouge...
    or maybe a die chip, that as luck would have it...closely resembles a 8 over 7

breen listed this many years before the research deemed it as a non-variety due to overdate.

much like the 1980-D AND S
  • Options
    Welcome, NateS!

I believe the 1943/2-P Jefferson was the last definitive overdate produced by the mint for all U.S. coins series.

Ken
  • Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,705 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think I have a couple of these alleged 8/7s. I'll post pics tonight if I can find them.
  • Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,564 ✭✭✭✭✭
    In the 1950's, Mint technique for creating a new master hub with the next year's date was basically as follows:

An unused working hub of the old date had either the last digit of the date or the last two digits of the date ground off. It was then used to sink a new master die with a partial date. The digit or digits of the new date were then entered into the new master die, either by hand engraving or by punching (I'm not sure which). The new master die was hardened and used to raise up several new working hubs that were used to create thousands of working dies.

It is speculated that at the end of 1957, the 7 was not entirely removed from the 1957 working hub. This left a trace of the 7 on the new master die, that was not obliterated when the 8 was entered in. At least one working hub still showed this trace of the 7, as did multiple working dies produced by it. Eventually the engraving staff noticed the blemish, and polished it off of the master die. Later working hubs do not show the trace of the 7.

A similar problem occurred on 1943 half dollar dies, many of which show a so-called "3/2" date. These are recognized as a hub defect, and are not generally collected as overdates. IMHO, the 1958/7 cent is just as uninteresting.

Tom DeLorey
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    coppercoinscoppercoins Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭
    The 8/7 1958 Lincoln cents were unanimously discredited by a number of experts in the series over five years ago. Many of the slabbed coins with the Breen number on them were submitted under the Breen system, and because people insist on using the outdated system they can still get the faulty listing on their slabs.

The upper right corner of the 8 of the date on many (actually most) 1958 cents has a small bump, somewhat hook shaped, that appears as though it could possibly be the upper corner of a 7. Breen saw this and ran with it. Since then computer overlays have become the way to check possibilities, and overlays suggest that this small hump is in the wrong place to be the corner of a 7 from a 1957 date. Furthermore, earlier examples of the bump have a line running southwest through the 8 that to some further suggested the existance of a 7 on 1958 cents. To those who conducted overlays and actually studied the anomaly, the line made it further apparent that this anomaly was a concentric die gouge paralleling the rim of the design, not a 7 digit. It is in the wrong place, runs at the wrong angle, and is very thin whereas the actual 7 digit of a 1957 cent is very thick.

So...the reason we still see a lot of examples of this "overdate" in because people are still using a 25 year old guide to make something into something it is not.

A picture of the anomaly shouldn't be necessary - over half of all 1958 cents have the same anomaly to some degree. It's a small hump on the upper right loop of the 8. Take a look at a few BU examples and you should easily spot it. I have been through hundreds of BU rolls of 1958 cents and see these more often than I see clean examples without the hump.
    C. D. Daughtrey, NLG
    The Lincoln cent store:
    http://www.lincolncent.com

My numismatic art work:
    http://www.cdaughtrey.com
    USAF veteran, 1986-1996 :: support our troops - the American way.
  • Options
    pharmerpharmer Posts: 8,355
    So, who is right? Capt Henway and Breen, who say it's an overdate? Or Chuck? Nate might be confused, and rightly so.

By the way, welcome, Nate. And the best picture I've ever seen of the 8/7 is on page 232 of Breen's Complete Encyclopedia of US and Colonial Coins. It looks like an overdate to me, but maybe it's not. Either way, there are so many as to make it lose it's cherrypicking appeal.
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Apropos of the coin posse/aka caca: "The longer he spoke of his honor, the tighter I held to my purse."

• Options
    Here's a picture I just took of the extra leaf -- I mean "58/7" cent.

• Options
    thanks for the info and the welcome everyone!

i took a few digicam pics of the one i found... all three shots are the same coin at different angles. kinda blurry, but the digital zoom on the camera isnt great

it strangely enough looked like a 7 on top of an 8 which didnt make any sense to me, but i guess the more i look at it, the less it's a 7 and just a cut up 8.
  • Options
    oh, also, would a grading service note anything regarding this on the coin? or is it not worth sending in?
  • Options
    Get better images of just the 8/7 or 7/8 or whatever that is, nice and clear as you can get, large as you can. Those are too small, and no need for anything but what you're interested in to show in the image. Leave the rest of the date and mintmark out.

Apropos of the coin posse/aka caca: "The longer he spoke of his honor, the tighter I held to my purse."

• Options
    still cant get a good pic from my digital camera, but its clearer now. i kept the 195 because without it, you'd think the "8" was just a mess

• Options

<< <i>still cant get a good pic from my digital camera, but its clearer now. i kept the 195 because without it, you'd think the "8" was just a mess

image >>

The 8 is a mess. Actually, it's damaged, having been partially sheared probably by a counting machine. The "real alleged" 8/7 looks like the picture I posted, but as coppercoins said, it's nothing special.
  • Options
    Either the image or the coin has been altered.

• Options
    thanks for the explanation/theory messydesk =). so the 8 got sheared? wouldnt that leave open gaps on the circles of the 8 instead of the partial fill and diagonal line going across? i'm just confused about how it happened. not worried about its worth or anything, its just baffled me thus far

and to pharmer, its neither. i've no reason to edit the image, and the coin was found while sifting through an alhambra tank of random coins. no need thinking its something decietful =
  • Options
    i was curious.. are you guys able to spot these overdates easily? i mean, i've been staring at the one md posted for days/weeks and i still dont see anything. is there a guide online with photos somewhere i can practice on? my favorite thing to do is sift through random change, but i really need to train my eye better

oh n also, here's a better photo, just so pharm knows it wasnt some cheap trick

• Options
    LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

2006 interesting

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yep... This topic has been discussed many, many, many times in the past. Cheers, RickO

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file