Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Does Anyone Have Anything From the Nordic Countries in Your Collections?

I'm working on trying to get myself a nice collection of coins from Norway, Finland, Sweden, Denmark, Iceland, and the Faroe Islands. Thanks to Rob, I was able to get a few AU examples, but it doesn't seem like there's much out here. Does anyone have any pictures of coins from these countries or care to discuss what they have in there collections. As soon as I recieve my few, I'll post pics.
Scott Hopkins
-YN Currently Collecting & Researching Colonial World Coins, Especially Spanish Coins, With a Great Interest in WWII Militaria.

My Ebay!

Comments

• Options
    ajaanajaan Posts: 17,125 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, I have some 'unofficial' mint sets from Sweden. You interested?

DPOTD-3
    'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • Options
    RRRR Posts: 627 ✭✭✭
    Here's one from Iceland, a bit west of the Nordic countries but maybe close enough.

<html />
  • Options
    harashaharasha Posts: 3,079 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A scattering. I had some interest in Swedish Rijksdalers for a very short while, but I was never too sure of their authenticity.
    Honors flysis Income beezis Onches nobis Inob keesis

DPOTD
  • Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,353 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The modern stuff is murder. You can find most of the circulated stuff in poundage
    but higher denomination cu/ ni isn't even seen here. Many thousands of tons of these
    have been melted in the last five years and the process really started as far back as the
    late '70's. You can find most of the older coins of all denominations when they were mak-
    ing silver coins if you're willing to pay the price, which can be substantial. Some of the
    later stuff I can't really find. Curiously the low mintage Icelandic coins are among the most
    available on your list. Denmark is the most expensuive but that's probably only reflective
    of demand rather than more scarcity. Swedish moderns might be the best value now.

I've done a little better accumulating Finland's coins but have put more effort into these
    and luck might be a small factor.

I like all these coins back to the 18th century but especially like the value in the moderns.
    Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    bosoxbosox Posts: 1,510 ✭✭✭✭
    These were much harder than Krause would lead you to believe. Good luck and happy hunting!

Numismatic author & owner of the Uncommon Cents collections. 2011 Fred Bowman award winner, 2020 J. Douglas Ferguson award winner, & 2022 Paul Fiocca award winner.

http://www.victoriancent.com
  • Options

<< <i>These were much harder than Krause would lead you to believe. Good luck and happy hunting!

] >>

I can testify to this. This especially applies to the 5 O's from the war years and the high grade '42's.

With a lot of the later dates you have to be prepared to pay based on the difficulty of finding them
    or you'll never own them. Some are available very infrequently and the owner will know they're tough.
    Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    Silvereagle82Silvereagle82 Posts: 1,219 ✭✭✭
    Scott,
    If you like gold, these are three pieces I have in my world collection

ICELAND 1962 500 Kronur
    imageimage

SWEDEN 1890 EB 20 Kronor

imageimage

DENMARK 1873 20 Kroner

imageimage

• Options
    As Im living in Sweden and are interested in the area of post-1875 coins from Sweden, Denmark, Norway and Iceland due to the monetary union between them I got some. Personaly Im also fascinated in the coins issed on behalf of Greenland. Icelandic coins are often rather cheap, how ever strange enough I have the hardest time to collect them as there seem to be no dealer at all in Sweden handling them, more then on a temporary basis getting hold of some as a coincidence. I even searched for a dealer on Iceland but havent found anyone. If you know of any please let me know image I should add to, that my own colection does not include such high grade beuties as shown above. A joy to the eyes. image
  • Options
    bidaskbidask Posts: 13,865 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Denmark 1813 12 skilling PCGS MS 63 brown.
    I manage money. I earn money. I save money .
    I give away money. I collect money.
    I don’t love money . I do love the Lord God.

• Options
    12 from Denmark, 4 from Finland, 7 from Iceland, 11 from Norway and 11 from Sweden. Nothing from the Faroe Islands.

Iron, bronze, copper-nickel etc.
    GO AHEAD! I DOUBLE-DOG DARE YOU TO RATE ME A 1!
  • Options
    Thanks for the beautiful pics bosox! Those coins look amazing! In fact, those would be some I would be very interested in looking for, as I love WWII coins, especially countries in occupation.

Thanks for the info Cladking. I can believe your research, I know you're pretty involved in the modern treasures.image

Silvereagle82, amazing coins! Probably a bit out of my league when it comes to cost though. image

Berg, I wasn't aware that Greenland had minted coins. I guess that's ignorance on my part.image

I was able to get the telephone book of world coins at the library today and will start posting my numerous other country coins for sale in an effort to get some more money to find the Nordic coins.
    Scott Hopkins
    -YN Currently Collecting & Researching Colonial World Coins, Especially Spanish Coins, With a Great Interest in WWII Militaria.

My Ebay!
  • Options

<< <i>As Im living in Sweden and are interested in the area of post-1875 coins from Sweden, Denmark, Norway and Iceland due to the monetary union between them I got some. Personaly Im also fascinated in the coins issed on behalf of Greenland. Icelandic coins are often rather cheap, how ever strange enough I have the hardest time to collect them as there seem to be no dealer at all in Sweden handling them, more then on a temporary basis getting hold of some as a coincidence. I even searched for a dealer on Iceland but havent found anyone. If you know of any please let me know image I should add to, that my own colection does not include such high grade beuties as shown above. A joy to the eyes. image >>

I passed a really gem 1926 1 K Greenland coin many years ago for $60 because Krause
    listed it for only about $15 in XF with no pricing in higher grades. I just didn't know how
    rare it was at that time.
    Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    spirityoda1spirityoda1 Posts: 272 ✭✭✭✭

Faroe Islands, 50 kroner, Tri-metallic, 2011, Was told it is a fantasy piece, I wanted it anyways. 35mm 10,000 mintage

Coin Junky...

• Options
    spirityoda1spirityoda1 Posts: 272 ✭✭✭✭

@bidask said:

Wow! What an amazing design. Envy is thee word.

Coin Junky...

• Options
    harashaharasha Posts: 3,079 ✭✭✭✭✭

Always have been fond of these Swedish shooting plaques.

https://flickr.com/photos/whiteamethyst/albums/72157720034852752

Honors flysis Income beezis Onches nobis Inob keesis

DPOTD
  • Options
    jgennjgenn Posts: 738 ✭✭✭✭✭

@bidask said:

I grade that an A for a nice coin but F on geography

• Options

Denmark Krone

Norway Speciedaler

Sweden Riksdaler

• Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,949 ✭✭✭✭✭

I was collecting Denmark and Sweden for a while but have backed off it. Now only doing Swedish patterns, which doesn't keep me very busy. Then again, I might jump back in more seriously when and if the Bruun collection comes to market.

Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Options
    1984worldcoins1984worldcoins Posts: 596 ✭✭✭✭✭

Some Nordic Countries from my collection:

Coinsof1984@martinb6830 on twitter

• Options
    SaorAlbaSaorAlba Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭✭✭

In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21
  • Options
    Bob13Bob13 Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭✭✭

My current "Box of 20"

• Options
    gpnycgpnyc Posts: 19 ✭✭

These are my only two at the moment.

• Options
    IcollecteverythingIcollecteverything Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭

Both of my father's parents were born in Norway and came to the US where they met and were married. I have over 50 different type coins from Norway which doesn't include many after 1950. I especially liked that you could buy cool coins from the 1600's for reasonable prices.

Successful BST deals with mustangt and jesbroken. Now EVERYTHING is for sale.

• Options
    WeissWeiss Posts: 9,935 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 11, 2022 11:34AM

An underappreciated subgroup of the darkside for sure. Glad this thread was resurrected.

Real estate in my box of 20 is very scarce. This is one of those pieces:

Iceland 10 Krónur X# 3
    1930 With box
    Composition: Silver
    Weight: 45.0000g
    Diameter: 45mm
    Mintage: 10,000
    DESIGN
    NOTES
    Subject: 1000 Years Althing
    Struck privately by the Saxon State Mint, Muldenhutten, Germany, at the instigation of a Parliamentary committee.

It's my understanding that these pieces were authorized, but never monetized. So they are in an interesting limbo between lawful coinage and legal coinage:

We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
    --Severian the Lame
  • Options
    OrlenaOrlena Posts: 300 ✭✭✭

Just today a friend from Norway handed me a bag of Norwegian coins. Most from the 40’s-60’s with a few from the 70’s. I have not had a chance to research (not sure where to start) but many of the coins have interesting designs, including edge designs that lead to their Nordic heritage. Anxious to start researching.

Here’s a couple quick pics

• Options
    OrlenaOrlena Posts: 300 ✭✭✭

So in going through that bag pictured above I found about 5 scarce/interesting coins. Since physical exchange of currency in the Scandinavian countries is becoming less common (apparently most is electronic now) coin collecting from circulating coins is a challenge.

I recall reading about Sweden and Norway moving toward a cashless society, but had no idea that it’s apparently close to complete.

I’m more of a dinosaur every day that I wake up…….

• Options

@MrEureka said:
    I was collecting Denmark and Sweden for a while but have backed off it. Now only doing Swedish patterns, which doesn't keep me very busy. Then again, I might jump back in more seriously when and if the Bruun collection comes to market.

Uh oh.

https://stacksbowers.com/stacks-bowers-galleries-selected-to-auction-the-l-e-bruun-collection/

Andy Lustig

• Options
    NapNap Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭✭✭

Recently got into medieval Scandinavian. I have a few of the early medieval coins, some of which are bracteates.

Half-bracteate, time of Harald “Bluetooth” Gormsson, king of Denmark and Norway 958-986

Penny of Anund “Jakob” Olafsson, king of Sweden 1022-1005

Penny of Olaf “Kyrre” Haraldsson, king of Norway 1067-1093

Bracteate penny of Cnut Ericsson, king of Sweden 1173-1195

Bracteate quarter penny of Sverre Sigurdsson, king of Norway 1184-1202

Bracteate penny of Valdemar Birgersson, king of Sweden 1250-1275

The Bruun sale may be an opportunity to expand this collection.

• Options
    TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,540 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Bob13 that 500Kr made me think of Una and the Lion, so I looked up info on it.

There's a very informative post on this issue at cointalk if anyone is interested: https://www.cointalk.com/threads/icelandic-coin-the-cow-and-the-maiden.357097/

• Options
    edited March 22, 2024 10:44AM

@MrEureka said:

@MrEureka said:

Uh oh.

https://stacksbowers.com/stacks-bowers-galleries-selected-to-auction-the-l-e-bruun-collection/

Yes this should be very interesting. Andy, since you mentioned it before, I guess you knew it would happen around this timeframe?

• Options
    tcollectstcollects Posts: 851 ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 22, 2024 11:43AM

Stacks selling Danish butter magnate's utterly magnificent money shuttered for centuries

...say it 5 times fast

• Options

@jgenn said:

@MrEureka said:

@MrEureka said:

Uh oh.

Yes this should be very interesting. Andy, since you mentioned it before, I guess you knew it would happen around this timeframe?

I’ve known this was coming for 30+ years. I’m still not ready for it, but it will be fun.

Andy Lustig

• Options
    TiborTibor Posts: 3,262 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 26, 2024 12:41PM

Sweden Half Ortug 1478

Sweden Ortug 1478